• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers hear me out! Playing in English doesn't mean refusing the Metric system!

SamNW

Just curious, when Americans are playing video games of Olympic sports or even watching the Olympics on TV, do the events use the Imperial system?

Like, instead of 100m sprint, it's the 109 yard sprint?

Or instead of 1500m backstroke, it's the 1640 yard backstroke?
No. Thankfully, the IOC has not caved to our stupid fucking measurement system.

klaushm

On Topic:
Yeah. It should have an option to toggle it. I even get mad when the developers make the game language my system language without the option to change it.

Off topic, but related:
Imperial measure system needs to end. Not only that, but date display should be Y/M/D. My country doesn't use this type of date, and I know both measures systems. I just want the best option.

SamNW

Off topic, but related:
Imperial measure system needs to end. Not only that, but date display should be Y/M/D. My country doesn't use this type of date, and I know both measures systems. I just want the best option.
This checks out. Y/M/D or D/M/Y, I don't care, but M/D/Y is fucking stupid.

I don't post on Gaf much, but I'm fucking here for petty measurement beef.

Keihart

Metric is so backwards its weird.

Like how with temperature freezing in Fahrenheit is 32 degrees where as in Celcius its 0 degrees

because 0 celcius makes sense, as in is the temperature at wich water freezes at sea level, a pretty useful reference i would say.

Edit: so much the post above me.
Also while we are at it. Can we stop the nonsense that 1 billion is a thousand millions? who came up with such nonsensical use of the word, was a millionare that wanted to sound like he was a billionare?

Nah cause what's going to happen is they'll eventually either do one or the other and I'd rather keep my feet, miles and inches than be bothered with a system I have never previously had a reason to touch.

They're already doing one and not the other, we all just want to have both as an option. That means you can keep your feet, miles and inches and we can have our metres and kilometres.

This mindset baffles me. We outside of America are forced to deal with a system we never previously had a reason to touch, but you're comfortable not doing anything out of a dumb fear. You don't want to do anything because you fear you'll be forced to use the other, when that's the reality for most of the English speaking world where games only use the Imperial system.

If the reverse did happen, wouldn't you want to make some noise and hope developers could add an option for you too? It's a very basic request, like all games requiring subtitles / having the option to turn on subtitles before the game starts. It's dumb that neither are a staple in this industry.

Nobody here uses the Metric system. It's not even important when it comes to games. A mile probably isn't even really a mile most of the time. It's just a ticker to count down and tell you how close you are to the next objective.
And nobody here uses Imperial. Go figure.

It's important for immersion reasons. Going from something like 1.2 miles to 700 feet in FFXV is confusing as fuck.

Javier

Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U does this too, which is really, REALLY stupid because the part of the game that uses it (Home Run Contest) makes it problematic to share scores worldwide.

Metric system should be the standard everywhere.

klaushm

WTF is this abomination?
Year/Month/Day

It really sounds stupid to have a time system that everyone agrees to count "Hours:Minutes", but when it comes to days, months and years; it becomes such a mess.

Day: 04
Month: 08
Year: 2017

My country: 04/08/2017
US: 08/04/2017
My approach: 2017/08/04

Both doesn't make sense with the time system, but my country approach sounds more logical on it's own.
I know that both are formatted by the way people say it, but it should be displayed in a more logical/universal way so that everyone understands.

NeOak

Metric is so backwards its weird.

Like how with temperature freezing in Fahrenheit is 32 degrees where as in Celcius its 0 degrees

Water freezes at 0 deg Celsius.

Water boils at 100 deg Celsius.

32 deg F. WTF-can't-even-remember deg F for the other.

can't go easier than 0 to 100.

The metric system is the tool of the devil.

True. The devil is smart. Hence it is a smart system.

nubbe

Empires uses imperial
Metric is for peasants

c18eDYj.png

Keihart

Water freezes at 0 deg Celsius.

Water boils at 100 deg Celsius.

32 deg F. WTF-can't-even-remember deg F for the other.

can't go easier than 0 to 100.

True. The devil is smart. Hence it is a smart system.

Hell, i mean, even kelvin degrees make more sence than Farenheint. Kelvin has the 0 at absolute 0 and celsius is a practical day to day scale, what is farenheint good for?

Pretty sure my copy of BotW uses celsius no matter which language setting is used. Problem in your case is probably that you're playing the U.S. version which defaults to imperial when you choose English.

I live in Europe and BOTW is definitely metric here, as the poster in this thread from Australia also noted. The temperature in the map screen is in Celsius. I assume this is because NOE produce their own English localisations, so we are spared things such as this and NOA's love for memes etc.

NeOak

Nobody here uses the Metric system. It's not even important when it comes to games. A mile probably isn't even really a mile most of the time. It's just a ticker to count down and tell you how close you are to the next objective.

TF? All the damn packaging on items sold in the United States must have both systems.

That YOU don't use it doesn't mean a lot of people in this country don't use it. We do.

Especially engineering. Jesus.

Also

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

(CNN) -- NASA lost a $125 million Mars orbiter because a Lockheed Martin engineering team used English units of measurement while the agency's team used the more conventional metric system for a key spacecraft operation, according to a review finding released Thursday.

$125 million in taxpayer money lost due to retards.

Capitan

Philistine. No scientifically minded person would call the metric system backwards.

pfft, using the freezing point of an arbitrary compound? we should use Kelvin, where zero is absolute.

kidding, i agree though. metric should definitely be an option, and us americans should abandon our weird units. we have a base 10 number system for chrissake.

I can sign on for this.

WTF is this abomination?

Big-endian date format. I'd take that or little-endian (D/M/Y) over the US/middle-endian format, but I just use big-endian already to avoid any confusion that can occur between little and middle-endian when D and M are both between 1 and 12.

Tyaren

Not saying i disagree, but might be useful to say how the lack of use of metric system makes your experience worse.

Because one has no sense of distance?
If you tell me something is 3,5 miles away or 2500 feet, I have no clue how much that is. It's also not logical enough to quickly catch on and learn how much it is, because it is not like a 1000 feet are a mile or so. Its 5280.

No sense of distance is immersion breaking for me in open world games with large maps.

Ishan

non issue for me but should be an easy fix with low effort so agree. (apart from story heavy games im sure its just not worth the time for devs to rerecord things in kms given the american market) (maybe subtitles with equivalents written out if the best option)

danm999

Year/Month/Day

It really sounds stupid to have a time system that everyone agrees to count "Hours:Minutes", but when it comes to days, months and years; it becomes such a mess.

Day: 04
Month: 08
Year: 2017

My country: 04/08/2017
US: 08/04/2017
My approach: 2017/08/04

Both doesn't make sense with the time system, but my country approach sounds more logical on it's own.
I know that both are formatted by the way people say it, but it should be displayed in a more logical/universal way so that everyone understands.

Continued use of MMDDYYYY proved we are beyond redemption as a species.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The imperial system is an affront to science and should be illegal.

The units don't even matter in most of these systems, so it's a super trivial thing to do. I've seen games where you do have the option where the only thing it does is change the units while the actual values stay the same because it doesn't really mean anything.

Even in games where keeping the scale accurate is important the conversions are generally pretty trivial for a computer.

Like for people facing calendar dates I understand DD/MM/YYYY , its the bit people are most interested in first , for formal purposes I prefer decreasing unit size YYYY/MM/DD since you can add time and it has automatic sorting. I'm pretty sure MM/DD/YYYY is just an American plot to screw with the rest of us.

NiteChylde

Neo Member
Imagine you are playing a game and it says the weight of an axe is 579 Bloofels and the next village is 314 Goomblits away and the temperature is 475 Ooblits.

This.

I know a lot of conversions for Imperial <> Metric by heart, but not all. Sometimes it's just annoying being pulled out of a game to google stuff like this, breaks the immersion for the me.

Refyref

I agree entirely. If you're not getting rid of the awful imperial system, at least give us the option of the sane metric system.

jonno394

Because one has no sense of distance?
If you tell me something is 3,5 miles away or 2500 feet, I have no clue how much that is. It's also not logical enough to quickly catch on and learn how much it is, because it is not like a 1000 feet are a mile or so. Its 5280.

No sense of distance is immersion breaking for me in open world games with large maps.

Yeah that's probably where we differ because for me, I don't even view that as a legit distance, I just view it as a number that diminishes as I walk in game and I can tell by how fast it counts down how long it should take me to get there on foot, or whether I should use a car/horse.

Yazuka

Even better: use the metric system forever because the imperial system is hot garbage and should be abandoned in every way as soon as is possible. Video games can lead the charge!
I agree! I loathe the imperial system.
It's so hard to figure out how the hell it works, I've never understood it and I've had people explain it too me. Metric is so much easier.

Also, YYYY-MM-DD is god-tier, mainly because it fits with time better and because if you alphasort files with this naming structure, they will be in chronological order.
It's so glorious. <3

GLAMr

Metric is a glorious triumph of logic and efficiency. However, I find I still use imperial units conversationally, usually for small increments or when being vague or funny. Eg:
-The house has six-foot fences
-The couch just needs to move few inches

In order to conceptualize large imperial measurements, I have to mentally convert to metric first which is kind of tiring.

Also, YYYY-MM-DD is god-tier, mainly because it fits with time better and because if you alphasort files with this naming structure, they will be in chronological order.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I agree! I loathe the imperial system.
It's so hard to figure out how the hell it works, I've never understood it and I've had people explain it too me. Metric is so much easier.
That's because there is no internal consistency to (litterally none it's a scientific fact) It's a hodge podge of random unit denominations that is one of many things America decides to inflict upon the world rather than leave it in the dark ages where it belongs.

Top Bottom