• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers hear me out! Playing in English doesn't mean refusing the Metric system!

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Well, Japanese do not always look at other countries besides the US when converting.

Oftentimes it's "Please fill your name here in English". My name is not in "english". And I get what they mean by it.

Please fill in your birthday in English using MMDDYYYY, when they use the more logical system themselves and would require no effort to use the other popular format.

Weirdly in bars they might even use times that exceed 24 hours e.g. closes at 26. That is crazy weird.

Or, "Please use this keyboard without your native letters because we forgot there are other keyboards except US English" (they put ümlauts and others like ÖÄÅ behind a submenu) when the PS4 came out. (I secretly credit myself as the reason why this was fixed fairly fast as I got my friend to send internal ticket for it. Although I think in reality people complaining about it made them fix it.)

It's just being focused on that one area first which they are used to. It is annoying and will not be easily changed unless you point these out to them specifically. And I constantly need to explain to people only thinking small. Like a Japanese grammar nazi for stupid decisions. But with a smile and a laugh.

Other countries doing this is is very rare I think.

MilkyJoe

Totally fucking agree. I facepalm every time a game uses the redneck imperial system.

I personally wouldn't be friends with a tool who prefers imperial over metric.

Well in the UK we use;

Celcius
Miles + feet + inches + cm + meters - but not kilometers
Stone + pounds + ounces + grams + kilograms
milliliters + liters
acres and hectares

We like to throw a spanner in the works over here.

NewGame

Banned
Empires uses imperial
Metric is for peasants

c18eDYj.png

I need to set this as my avatar somehow.

scamander

Banned
I'm pretty sure Breath of the Wild only uses the imperial system, when your console's region is set to America. Change the region and it will use the metric system in English as well. Unless you're playing the game on Wii U in which case you can't.

I live in Europe and BOTW is definitely metric here, as the poster in this thread from Australia also noted. The temperature in the map screen is in Celsius. I assume this is because NOE produce their own English localisations, so we are spared things such as this and NOA's love for memes etc.
Can someone with a Canadian bought BOTW confirm or deny their game displaying Fahrenheit when playing it in English? I have a gut feeling it'll be just like mine since all of the Americas are NoA's territory.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well in the UK we use;

Celcius
Miles + feet + inches + cm + meters - but not kilometers
Stone + pounds + ounces + grams + kilograms
milliliters + liters
acres and hectares

We like to throw a spanner in the works over here.
In the uk use metric. Only for meaningless things like body weight and height do we use imperial aside from distance travelec by car which we still use miles for.

The chances of you doing a mathematical problem in school or any sort of scientific subject using imperial are slim to none outside of to make you aware of how archaic you are and doctors rarely tell you your height and weight on imperial so even that use is limited.

FinalAres

With regards to YYYY-MM-DD, it doesn't make sense just because clocks use the biggest unit first. Clocks prioritise the most important information, the hour. It's the hour not the minute that decides when we're getting up, going to work, planting our crops etc.

When it comes to date, year is the least crucial information, so it goes last, or sometimes isn't used at all.

That's also probably why the US uses MM-DD-YYYY because arguably the season is as important as the specific date. It's still a little dumb though.

scamander

Banned
Can someone with a Canadian bought BOTW confirm or deny their game displaying Fahrenheit when playing it in English? I have a gut feeling it'll be just like mine since all of the Americas are NoA's territory.

There's only one version of the game worldwide. What you have to do is change your console's region to get the metric system in English.

Just accept that Imperial is the standard in works of fiction.

Accept it.
What? It isn't. Especially not in The science fiction genre Where almost always everything is in Metric since authors assume even the US will eventually succumb to globalization and standardized systems of measurement.

If you're playing a sports game, sure.. but I'm not sure why it matters in a fictional world like FFXV.
Personally, I like the way FFXIV does it with fictional measurements that are understood by all ("yalms" = meters or yards).

The game is probably using its own unit of measurement internally anyway, so it's already doing the conversion to metric or imperial, just let me choose which one.

JustJavi

So this is the second time in the last 12 months I've come across a big, multi-million dollar, several years in the making, AAA title that thinks that just because I play my games in English it means I'd rather play with feet, miles, and Fahrenheit rather than meters, kilometers and Celcius. And I'm here to vent because this shit is inexcusable and has to stop before it propagates and becomes the standard.

Both Final Fantasy XV and Zelda Breath of the Wild (finally I've just begun playing it) don't give me the option to keep the Metric system when I'm playing in English.

Both of these games come with several language settings out of the box and all of these use Metric when you play them except English. So it's not like the game doesn't support Metric, it's there already for the other 5 languages in FFXV and the other like 9 or so for Zelda.

Developers. I've it news for you: Not everyone playing your game in English lives in the United States. Millions outside of that country will play your game in English and would rather keep the Metric system because they may live in Canada. Or Great Britain (some there do prefer Metric). Or Australia. Or New Zeland. Or Jamaica. Or their native tongue isn't supported so they're bilingual and play in English . Or, like in my case, where I live in Mexico, happen to know English and I've played video games in English all my life because growing up I didn't have an option to play in any other language so now I just kept playing in English by default. All of these people do not use the Imperial system in their day to day life.

I know it's not a deal breaker and for some games it's a small thing to complain about (Zelda apparently only uses Imperial to tell me the temperature in Fahrenheit) but I can't believe this has to be said: the second language most spoken my humans on Planet earth is English and not all of them live in the US.

Developers, please. Just because we choose to play video games in English it does not automatically mean we also want to abandon Metric. Hell, both of these games were done with Metric first since they were developed in Japan and then stripped away from it when localizing to English. Why choose one over the other when we can have both?

Gran Turismo does it right. It's a Japanese game that when playing it in any language it still gives you the option to keep Metric or go Imperial.

This has to stop.

Sincerely,
A non-American English speaker.

You are wrong in one thing. English is not the second most spoken language in the world, it is the third one. Spanish is the second one. I agree with everything else you said.

MilkyJoe

In the uk use metric. Only for meaningless things like body weight and height do we use imperial aside from distance travelec by car which we still use miles for.

The chances of you doing a mathematical problem in school or any sort of scientific subject using imperial are slim to none outside of to make you aware of how archaic you are and doctors rarely tell you your height and weight on imperial so even that use is limited.

Meaningless things like; body weight, height, flying altitude, distance, speed restrictions, speedometers, pints of liquid (milk + alcohol), low bridge signage, weight of precious metals and clothing size.

We use both, why are you trying to make out we don't? Plum.

TheMoon

There's only one version of the game worldwide. What you have to do is change your console's region to get the metric system in English.

it took 112 posts to get to this very simple answer :D

BotW is a single-SKU game. There are no "versions."

Alebelly

Ive game begged forever devs to use unique cities that are associated with the region the game is actually being developed in...

But as far as imperial vs whatever mumbo jombo you came up with, I really dont see the issue
2e8bd5db37e801279c2b8304c35bb897--imperial-units-math-worksheets.jpg

Zenaku

As far as I know, all Switch copies of BotW are identical, besides the sticker on the cartridge. My UK and Japanese copies of BotW both use the same save data, for example.

Try changing your Switchs region to the UK or Australia (I'm assuming you have it set to America) and see if that changes it in-game.

Edit: Beaten

If you're playing a sports game, sure.. but I'm not sure why it matters in a fictional world like FFXV.

That's the thing, it doesn't matter.

I'm an American unfamiliar with the metric system, and I would say that the vast majority of games use that form of measurement. Do I ever crave that imperial system toggle in the options? Fuck no, I don't give a shit at all. You don't need to think about the measurement system, these games do all the math for you.

This thread and its complaints just seem super petty to me. You could replace both the metric and imperial systems with some completely made up bullshit form of measurement in the vast majority of games, and it still wouldn't matter at all.

What you're trying to say is that as long as you are satisfied, everyone else can get fucked, right?

If that's how you want to take that, then whatever. This thread would have a point if we were talking about games where the measurements actually mattered (like Arma for example.) But really...BoTW and FFXV are causing a stir? That's just lame and petty arguing.

You are wrong in one thing. English is not the second most spoken language in the world, it is the third one. Spanish is the second one. I agree with everything else you said.
You have that backwards, my friend. Mandarin is #1, English is 2nd and Spanish is 3rd.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I have to say that it has never really bothered me either way, as they are video games and have no connection or value in my real life. If it bothers you, I really don’t know what to say, as I can’t fathom being upset by Fahrenheit or Celsius, miles or kilometers. Some of you folks are taking this pretty hard.

I agree that they should have both for English speaking countries, but I see no reason to get bent out of shape about it. It is only a video game, have fun with them.

NewGame

Banned
Ive game begged forever devs to use unique cities that are associated with the region the game is actually being developed in...

But as far as imperial vs whatever mumbo jombo you came up with, I really dont see the issue
2e8bd5db37e801279c2b8304c35bb897--imperial-units-math-worksheets.jpg

I think I just vomited.

Roman-Numerals-Calculations-Expert.jpg

dock

The UK is such a mess with its mix of imperial and metric units, including units that no-one uses outside of the UK (weight in stone, used exclusively for the weight of people!)

My GF is German and she has a really hard time dealing with street signs that refer to '20 yards'. Even MPH she still has to convert to km/h.

I'd be happiest if we just all switched to Metric by law. The only time I want to deal with 'pints' is when I order a 570ml glass of beer.

While they're at it, maybe they could finally switch over from rupees to USD in Zelda. How am I supposed to know what a rupee is worth? They never even tell us what the minimum wage is in Hyrule...I'm always worrying I'm going to get ripped off when some shopkeep wants to sell me a bundle of arrows for 20 rupees or whatever

Skronk

Banned
I don't think people in the UK have a problem with a bit of everything.

Plus in games it doesn't matter at all. This is one of the most pathetic nitpicks I've ever seen on the internet.

Irminsul

The UK is such a mess with its mix of imperial and metric units, including units that no-one uses outside of the UK (weight in stone, used exclusively for the weight of people!)

My GF is German and she has a really hard time dealing with street signs that refer to '20 yards'. Even MPH she still has to convert to km/h.

I'd be happiest if we just all switched to Metric by law. The only time I want to deal with 'pints' is when I order a 570ml glass of beer.
Well, yards should be easy, that's basically short metres. Just substract ~10%.

I just changed my Switch's region to Europe and it did change degrees to Celcius while playing in English. I'm happy to see there's a pesky, but effective workaround (can't say the same about FFXV). That still means English speakers in the rest of the Americas (especially Canadians) get fucked over because of the United States. It should still be a toggle in the Options menu.

And while they're at it patching options, what's with Run being a face button?! Please let me change the run button to the left stick, Nintendo! I have to use "the claw" everytime I want to run while moving the camera!

Teeth

As a Canadian I'm going to need:

1) weight in pounds, except for sporting weight divisions
2) height measurement and small distances in feet and inches, but greater lengths in kilometers
3) environmental temperature in celsius but cooking temperature in farenheit
4) liquid measured in cups for small amounts but liters for larger amounts
5) any time you're speaking to anyone over the age of 55, all units should be in imperial and they should think that anyone under the age of 25 only knows their height and weight in meters and kilograms when they really have no idea.

That is all.

ggx2ac

Plus in games it doesn't matter at all. This is one of the most pathetic nitpicks I've ever seen on the internet.

I'd be peeved if I was playing Wii Fit and the game only had pounds or stone to measure your weight.

Lyriell

Look at the L1 Speakers (first language).
436m Spanish vs 371m English.

When someone from india does business with someone from Japan, what language do you think speak? Hint... it's not Spanish.

Also the question was which was more widely spoken... not which is spoken natively.

I have to say that it has never really bothered me either way, as they are video games and have no connection or value in my real life. If it bothers you, I really don’t know what to say, as I can’t fathom being upset by Fahrenheit or Celsius, miles or kilometers. Some of you folks are taking this pretty hard.

I agree that they should have both for English speaking countries, but I see no reason to get bent out of shape about it. It is only a video game, have fun with them.
OP here. Read my post again. I admitted this wasn't that big of a deal nor it was a deal breaker. It did, however, deserved a mention and a slap in the hand of the developers. It's something so simple and should be as standard as the ability to invert the camera in every game.

Hektor

When I played FFXV and ran towards my goal in the distance I was away a bit over 1 mile.

Then it suddenly dropped from 1.0 miles to 0.4 idontevenknowwhatthefuck on a single step it left me visibly confused and thinking that I just encountered a bug.

It absolutely does matter.

If my goal is 500 metres away I know that the goal 1 kilometre away will take twice as much time to travel.

If my goal is 0.4 idontevenknowwhatthefuck away i would assume the goal that is 1.0 miles away would take twice and a half that time to travel. But it's actually the same distance.

It matters

Top Bottom