• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They're not going to put the PC version of Final Fantasy VII up there, are they?

I think it depends on whether or not they can get it working on modern systems. It's very unstable on modern hardware and is probably hard to fix since it doesn't run in DOS.

Minsc

Gold Member

That depends too on what country you live in, right? Even if it was ruled illegal in one country, that doesn't make it illegal for everyone else in the world.

herod said:
And run it. Steam is DRM. You can put your GoG install files on a USB stick and run them on a computer that never has or will see the Internet. No invisible hand of Gabe graciously allowing you to run your games.

Not all Steam games require Steam to run. Some have no DRM and you can remove steam entirely from the picture and the game will still run if you copy/move/leave the directory alone. A valid question would be if you did not have Steam installed and only Deus Ex data from a prior Steam install on a computer which you never installed it before, if there are any .ini/registry entries that you would be missing which interferes with the game. Modern games use a lot of registry hooks and files in other directories, which when not reinstalled properly, would cause the game to have errors.

Is that true for Deus Ex? I have a bunch of older games on Steam that run without the client. X-Com, for example.

And yes, I know the Steam IS DRM thing.

X-Com is DOSBox so that is a poor example. The main concern comes from what I mentioned above, merely copying a modern game would leave you without the registry / ini entries which properly installing it create. I imagine using the alternate DX10 renderer mod for Deus Ex bypasses needing steam, since it's probably similar to a cracked .exe in that regard.

ctrayne

I guess a better question is...what would the Square-Enix part of Square-Enix-Eidos release?

Front Mission 5 for PC
i wish

More seriously, I'm looking forward to buying anything and everything Thief related.

Not all Steam games require Steam to run. Some have no DRM and you can remove steam entirely from the picture and the game will still run if you copy/move/leave the directory alone.
Europa Universalis III is exactly like this, as are most Paradox games (most are DRM free altogether).

Is it worth playing, knowing that the sequel will never come out? Serious question. I remember hearing the ending was somewhat frustrating, but it's been a while.
No. It's like playing an early beta of a game where you can see the seeds of a decent JRPG (which is what the gameplay was trying to emulate; Chronotrigger was referenced frequently in interviews during development as memory serves) gameplay but the final product isn't fleshed out enough to be worth the time. The story is a somewhat amusing, though a bit cliche iirc, and the unfinished story means the world-building feels hollow.

If it sounds like I'm being negative, I am. I think the game's development history and "missed opportunity" status grant it far more praise than it deserves.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This is exciting, Eidos Square Enix have a pretty great back catalog on PC that isn't available anywhere anymore.

Yeah, except they trolled us and started by releasing the two games from them that are available everywhere.

It will be interesting to see how they handle Thief being a potential compatibility clusterfuck. I have my OG disks working fine for Thief 1/2 + widescreen and perfect IQ, but for some reason my Thief Gold hates me and crashes at mission start.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not all Steam games require Steam to run. Some have no DRM and you can remove steam entirely from the picture and the game will still run if you copy/move/leave the directory alone. A valid question would be if you did not have Steam installed and only Deus Ex data from a prior Steam install on a computer which you never installed it before, if there are any .ini/registry entries that you would be missing which interferes with the game. Modern games use a lot of registry hooks and files in other directories, which when not reinstalled properly, would cause the game to have errors.

You can't imagine how fantastic it feels to see somebody else say this. I have to bite my tongue every time the "But Steam is DRM!" mantra is sung.

Edit: Granted, DRM-free games isn't something Valve actively advertise, but, still, an overstated misconception is an overstated misconception.

herod

Not all Steam games require Steam to run. Some have no DRM and you can remove steam entirely from the picture and the game will still run if you copy/move/leave the directory alone.

I didn't know this.

Still, it seems much easier to just go to GoG to me than try and track which ones do or don't. Is this information volunteered by the Steam client in any way?

epmode

X-Com is DOSBox so that is a poor example. The main concern comes from what I mentioned above, merely copying a modern game would leave you without the registry / ini entries which properly installing it create.

I don't know why I forgot about this. You're exactly right.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is it worth playing, knowing that the sequel will never come out? Serious question. I remember hearing the ending was somewhat frustrating, but it's been a while.

It ends on a cliffhanger but they actually finished the story off through a webseries that you can find on youtube.

Sotha Sil

No. It's like playing an early beta of a game where you can see the seeds of a decent JRPG (which is what the gameplay was trying to emulate; Chronotrigger was referenced frequently in interviews during development as memory serves) gameplay but the final product isn't fleshed out enough to be worth the time. The story is a somewhat amusing, though a bit cliche iirc, and the unfinished story means the world-building feels hollow.

If it sounds like I'm being negative, I am. I think the game's development history and "missed opportunity" status grant it far more praise than it deserves.

It ends on a cliffhanger but they actually finished the story off through a webseries that you can find on youtube.

Thank you both!

Of course, nintendo may have a different opinion about it.

No one cares about what Nintendo may or may not think about topics where their opinion is legally and morally irrelevant. The US is one of the more restrictive countries on copyright personal-use and even here emulation software is 100% legal and format-shifting of media without innate copy-protection is protected. The PC cartridge adapters are so straightforwardly legal that it's not even worth talking about.

gabbo

I'm personally excited for Legacy of Kain series. My old trapezoid Soul Reaver box is somewhere in my garage and I'm too lazy to dig it out.

I played one of these ages ago on Gametap when it was in the free section. It was rather fun, albeit ugly as sin given its age. I wouldn't mind another crack at it and the rest of the series. That's a little farther down my Eidos list of games though, and as I have no history with Square, I'm not all that interested in whatever titles they may have.

wazoo

square is not that famous for its pc production. quite weird they end up owning the ip of thief, deus ex, hitman, lara croft, anachronox and so on.

i think we are a bit lucky that there is not so many publishers because of acquisitions. it makes the job of gog easier.

now, they have EA, Activision, Sierra, Westwood, Eidos, Ubi Soft, Black Isles, Interplay and so on.

Come on, LucasArts.

cj_iwakura

I have the Steam version, but the GOG version, as always, comes with way more bonuses.
(By that I mean it has bonuses.)

http://www.gog.com/en/news/the_witcher_2_assassins_of_kings_enhanced_edition_announced

"GOG.com is pleased as punch to announce that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition, developed by sister company CD Projekt RED, will be coming to PC on the 17th of April! Just like when CDP RED updated the original Witcher to The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, this comes with scads of upgrades and extras for you to enjoy. The good news is that anyone who owns The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings before the 17th will receive the upgrade to the Enhanced Edition for free!"

New content:

- New major adventures set in new locations. These consist of an underground system of chambers beneath Loc Muine and a temperate coniferous forest in the Loc Muine mountains, and a secret cave passage. These new adventures will add several hours of story-based gameplay to the game.

- New major characters to the Witcher story. One of them is Brigida Papebrock Dame. This noble woman comes from the Temerian family Papebrock and is a 30 year old lady-in-waiting of the Temerian court. The other characters are secret--for now!

- All new animations and cut scenes, including a new, three and a half minute pre-rendered cinematic depicting the assassination of King Demavend of Aedirn. BAFTA Award winner and Academy Award nominee Tomasz Baginski brings this key historical event to life, setting the stage for the story told in The Witcher 2.

GOG.com will also be adding the Witcher comic book to our list of goodies on the 17th as a free gift to everyone who owns the Witcher 2; further, there will be a new game map, game guide, manual, and soundtrack available in your free goodies on that day as well.

witcher 2 is a bit cheaper now for two weeks following this announcement http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher_2

more proper single player content. cool.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm sure this has been posted before but I'd like to make a plug for Ancient Dos Games of Pixelships.com. He does really excellent dos reviews and always includes special dosbox settings for games (which is one of the best ways to play GOG releases nowadays)

Find him here, with a link to a review for a game I'd like to see GOG get (and so would a lot of other people): http://www.pixelships.com/adg/ep0010.html

Eusis

Wonder if they'll give the comic to non-GoG owners? I'm sure the rest will come, but that one's the big question.

wazoo

Gog is great. I am lurking here just because this weekly release is so fun to monitor.

Of course, everything I want goes to my wishlist, I waited so many years I can wait until the holiday sales, my backlog is already so big.

coopolon

You can't imagine how fantastic it feels to see somebody else say this. I have to bite my tongue every time the "But Steam is DRM!" mantra is sung.

Edit: Granted, DRM-free games isn't something Valve actively advertise, but, still, an overstated misconception is an overstated misconception.

In my experience it is a minority of games that actually don't require steam. And as already stated, there is additional drm built in because you need steam to properly install games even if you don't need steam to run them. Even a lot of old games need steam to run.

It is hardly a misconception to say steam is drm when a significant portion ( I would say vast majority but haven't tested every game so can't) of games on steam are drmed...including valve's games.

mclem

Still waiting for Rise of Nations.

Make it happen please

I think this may have the dubious honour of being the first game I ever bought that I've never got around to playing.

The weekend promo's up. 50% off Strategy First titles. That's this little lot:

Apache vs. Havoc
Comanche vs. Hokum
Combat Chess
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
Darkstar One
Disciples 2 Gold
Disciples: Sacred Lands Gold
FlatOut
Ghost Master
Jagged Alliance
Jagged Alliance 2
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
Patrician 3
Port Royale
Pro Pinball Big Race USA
Pro Pinball Fantastic Journey
Pro Pinball Timeshock
Sacred Gold
Strategic Command: European Theater

wazoo

Just looking at what is on dotemu

Seems dotemu is more consistent with his "pick the games from one editor". Of course, they have much less deals but they are more covered.

Like they have Still Life (like gog) but also post mortem.

I wonder if they will ever release the Final Fantasy games on GoG since Square is on board but somehow I think they would want to price gouge more than GoG would allow.

Yaska

I wonder if they will ever release the Final Fantasy games on GoG since Square is on board but somehow I think they would want to price gouge more than GoG would allow.

Well seeing as they sell 7 and 8 on psn for 9.99, this would most likely to be the price for GoG.com as well. The hard part is getting it work on win 7 with stability as stated earlier in this thread.

Well seeing as they sell 7 and 8 on psn for 9.99, this would most likely to be the price for GoG.com as well. The hard part is getting it work on win 7 with stability as stated earlier in this thread.

Ah, didn't realize the old ones had such problem running on win7. :( And ya, I guess that makes sense with the pricing but since it's been OoP on PC for so long it just feels like they would want some kind of premium.

Eusis

Yeah, that was a hangup for Steam. Then again this IS GoG, and one of their primary goals is getting older games running fine on newer systems, so maybe they'll figure something out.

wazoo

I just bought the FF on psn this week quite cheap, like 5E each.

wazoo

not all Gog games are supported for Windows 7. There are even threads anf Gogmix on that topic. They still run pretty well (I think X64 is more difficult), but it may improve.

epmode

I dunno, I have a LOT of GOG games and every one works fine in Windows 7 64, even if the product page doesn't explicitly list it.

androvsky

I dunno, I have a LOT of GOG games and every one works fine in Windows 7 64, even if the product page doesn't explicitly list it.

I take it you don't have Interstate '76 then. About the only way I can play it without massive screwing around is in wine on Linux, and even there it likes to crash a lot. iirc it has problems even in XP on a mildly fast computer.

wazoo

I just checked. I have both versions of the games on PC (and on ps1, and ...so on). I just looked on the web, it seems quite painful to install them on seven, but FF7 gor a few patchs, you can even run it in HD. with new models and things.

I fear thee is no way to run them on a pc without DVD drive.

Minsc

Gold Member
Today's release is Thief Gold for $9.99.

Nice, I'm definitely going to see what I missed on this one (generally I avoid stealth games). Didn't realize it was on gamersgate before now, thought it would be a GOG first! Maybe if the comments in the game's forum look positive someone who had troubles with the CDs crashing might have better luck with GOG's version. I wouldn't blindly expect it, but it's promising to see windows 7 compatibility directly listed on the game page.

AAequal

Banned
Today's release is Thief Gold for $9.99.

So awesome! Haven't played first Thief game in ages. I hope Thief II comes out asap. Anachronox would also be nice but I still have my big box version of it so it's no biggie if they won't release it. Omikron: The Nomad Soul is another Eidos game that I really would like to play again. Oh and also Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver since I never got to play it when it was released and till this day I haven't played it even tho I really would love to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom