• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

You sure about that? Active shadows/lighting won't appear on modern graphics cards, making certain levels almost impossible because you can't visually judge how hidden you are, you have to go off of the light meter alone. I've never heard of anyone fixing the issue, and Ubisoft has done fuck all about it (shocking, I know).

If you have the magic answer, I want in. :)

Regarding NOLF, obviously that's not in the picture since it's pretty clear the new pub is Eidos/SE, but aren't both the NOLF games deep in copyright hell?

I'm pretty sure the rights are owned by an unknown third party or Activision. It's not really good for us either way

gabbo

IIRC, 20th Century Fox. Good luck man, good luck.

I take it Fox Interactive was folded back into 20th Century/New Corp, because it no longer exists as a corporate entity. That being said, I'm almost positive that Vivendi/Activision owns the IP through their Sierra brand

Miletius

One Eidos game I'd like to see on there (for purely my own, nostalgic reasons) is Revenant. I played the heck out of that game as a kid, even though it ran like total crap on my PC.

I doubt we'll get any FF stuff though, even if they signed with Square Enix. That's their baby there, no way they are gonna give away possible remake dollars. :p

mclem

As expected: It's Squeenix, and the two games up today are Hitman and Deus Ex. Both $10, which strikes me as a little on the high side (isn't Deus Ex about $6 on Steam?)

Still no DRM, of course. And the fact that they're pitching it as Square Enix and not Eidos does give me a little hope that we could see the PC Final Fantasies. Is that the only realistic way to play Chocobo World these days?

epmode

It would have been nice for them to start off with a game that isn't already on 892378692769236 other services. Oh well, Anachronox/Thief later maybe?
As expected: It's Squeenix, and the two games up today are Hitman and Deus Ex. Both $10, which strikes me as a little on the high side (isn't Deus Ex about $6 on Steam?)
The games are $9.99 each on Steam.

Minsc

Gold Member
Turns out its Square Enix.

Now they have Deus Ex and Hitman up for $9.99 a piece.

EDIT: Beaten. What a shame.

Hitman's $5.99, but yeah, unfortunately they're both already easily available elsewhere. Still, the DRM-free version GOG offers is nice in itself.

Also they said in the new publisher update:

There are a few more heroes from SquareEnix, that deserve a special treatment from GOG.com, and we will be announcing them in coming weeks.

Which is more or less expected, but good to hear.

Lothars

I mean it's a great pickup but I am dissapointed because I was hoping for games that are not avilable anywhere else.

I would love to see the pc versions of Final Fantasy VII and VIII coming.

Omikaru

Will almost certainly triple dip on Deus Ex from GOG, just so that I have a DRM-free version in the unlikely event that Steam goes belly up and I lose all my games.

Anyhow, this is a good pull for them. I'm ashamed to have never played Anachronox or any of the Thief games, so when those arrive I'll take them. I'd also buy FFVII and FFVIII if they ever released the PC versions of those. I have them both on PSone (and FF8 on PC, sans the install disc which I lost somewhere) but they're two of my favourite JRPGs from that era, so I couldn't turn down DRM-free versions of those either.

a little disappoint to see the only SqueenixEidos games up are ones I already have on steam, but I'll agree with the common sentiment here. Thief games and/or PC FF's and I'll buy them yesterday.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I wonder if they'll delve into Square and Enix's non PC catalog at all?

They already license one emulator (DOSBox) so I don't see why they coulnd't get some SNES/Gen/PSX games up there.

mclem

They already license one emulator (DOSBox) so I don't see why they coulnd't get some SNES/Gen/PSX games up there.

PSX emulation would require Sony's co-operation with a Playstation BIOS. That doesn't strike me as likely. Pre-Playstation, though, I could see happening; I don't think there's many emulators of systems from earlier than that which are reliant on referring to copyrighted BIOS data.

Dead Man

Will almost certainly triple dip on Deus Ex from GOG, just so that I have a DRM-free version in the unlikely event that Steam goes belly up and I lose all my games.

Anyhow, this is a good pull for them. I'm ashamed to have never played Anachronox or any of the Thief games, so when those arrive I'll take them. I'd also buy FFVII and FFVIII if they ever released the PC versions of those. I have them both on PSone (and FF8 on PC, sans the install disc which I lost somewhere) but they're two of my favourite JRPGs from that era, so I couldn't turn down DRM-free versions of those either.

Same.

RedSwirl

If SEGA ever went to GOG they'd fire up that Genesis emulator no doubt.

epmode

I'm curious to see what people think of the Thief games. I played Thief Gold for the first time only ~2 years ago and I was still very impressed. In spite of the primative graphics and semi-janky controls, it's an incredible stealth game. Best difficulty levels ever.
Isn't the Steam release of Deus Ex already DRM-free? I mean, aside from the fact that you have to download it from Steam.

I'd test myself if I wasn't at work.

wazoo

PSX emulation would require Sony's co-operation with a Playstation BIOS. That doesn't strike me as likely. Pre-Playstation, though, I could see happening; I don't think there's many emulators of systems from earlier than that which are reliant on referring to copyrighted BIOS data.

SNES emulation is illegal, since ROM dumping is illegal and there is no way to plug a SNES cartridge into a PC. En of Story.

mclem

SNES emulation is illegal, since ROM dumping is illegal and there is no way to plug a SNES cartridge into a PC. En of Story.

An end-user dumping and distributing ROMS is definitely illegal, but the copyright holder (effectively) doing so? If that were illegal, it would be somewhat nonsensical. The term explicitly *means* that they have a right to copy!

kswiston

An end-user dumping and distributing ROMS is definitely illegal, but the copyright holder (effectively) doing so? If that were illegal, it would be somewhat nonsensical.

It's not. What do you think the hundreds of SNES/NES/Genesis games on Virtual console are?

I'm personally excited for Legacy of Kain series. My old trapezoid Soul Reaver box is somewhere in my garage and I'm too lazy to dig it out.

ROM dumping is not illegal if you dump carts you own yourself. Distributing them over the internet is.

Emulation of the hardware itself is 100% legal

And as someone pointed out, the Retrode exists now.

epmode

ROM dumping is not illegal if you dump carts you own yourself. Distributing them over the internet is.
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/EmuFAQ2000/AppendixB.htm

Atari, Inc. v. JS&A Group, Inc. 597 F.Supp. 5 (N.D. IL, 1983)

JS&A Group were the vendors of a cart dumper called the "PROM Blaster" for Atari 2600 videogames. It was a device designed to allow its operators to dump the object code from within the ROMs of an Atari 2600 videogame cartridge. Atari sued JS&A for contributory copyright infringement of its proprietary videogame software. JS&A argued that archival copying was permitted under copyright law (17 USC 117), so the purpose of a cart dumper constituted "substantial non-infringing use." The court found that a computer program embedded within a piece of hardware, such as the ROMs used within a typical videogame cartridge, cannot be reprogrammed or erased. As such, it was contained within a form of storage media designed to permanently preserve the program. JS&A's contention that cart dumps protected the actual cartridge against possible physical harm (and thus the program embedded inside) might also be applied to other forms of physical media, such as phonograph records and books. Since copyright law did not allow for this practice in regard to these and other such forms of physical media (photocopying a book, physically duplicating a phonograph record), they likewise did not apply to the practice of archiving computer programs embedded within a piece of hardware. The archival exception for computer software did not apply to programs stored within permanent storage media (in this case a videogame cartridge) because these forms of media are not subject to the sort of risks that the archival clause was designed to guard against. As a result, the court ruled that dumping a videogame cartridge for archival purposes is not covered by the archival clause of copyright law.

This case would prove to be the most important one in subsequent cases regarding the desire to duplicate program code contained within some form of permanent storage media in general, and the twin practices of videogame cartridge and arcade ROM dumping in particular. It has been modified in at least one respect over the years; see also Sega v. Accolade, 1992.

Rufus

I'll repeat this once Anachronox releases, but let me warn you right now: Beware of game ending bugs.

Staggered saves, people. Like 10.

wazoo

http://www.retrode.org/

The internet finds a way

Interesting. this seems completely legal - at least debatable - as long as the emulator does not hold any bootup/OS roms. Of course, nintendo may have a different opinion about it.

As the guy said, the copyright holder owns the right to the roms, and of course to any materials before, that is why the virtual console exists on wii (where roms are available after the publisher decides about it, not Nintendo).

herod

Isn't the Steam release of Deus Ex already DRM-free? I mean, aside from the fact that you have to download it from Steam.

And run it. Steam is DRM. You can put your GoG install files on a USB stick and run them on a computer that never has or will see the Internet. No invisible hand of Gabe graciously allowing you to run your games.

Sotha Sil

I'll repeat this once Anachronox releases, but let me warn you right now: Beware of game ending bugs.

Staggered saves, people. Like 10.
Is it worth playing, knowing that the sequel will never come out? Serious question. I remember hearing the ending was somewhat frustrating, but it's been a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom