• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

hunnies28

I tried to take a nap in the game, said I couldn't cuz it was too dangerous to sleep

Checked my radar, and saw a Zombie outside my safe house door, and it turned out it was one of my Friend listed infected avatars

I killed em good, but they had no loot :(

This also keeps happening to me !!! Dammit let me sleep !

oatmeal

Banned
A couple of things....10 hours in...

1. Died at the top of the Tower of London like an idiot. So I took my next guy all the way...but in the underwater maze...my radar went out and there was a single 'electric' zombie down there screaming and going crazy. It would attack, I'd wack it a few times and it was disappear and then reappear seconds later and storm at me from another angle. Eventually, I took her out with my AK-47, but Christ...it took at least 4 respawns.

2. Daytime looks awesome so far. Found a save station at the top of a building.

This game is SO Resident Evil.

Fucking love it.

Probably my GOTY. The world design is similar to Metroid IMO.

Sanctuary

A couple of things....10 hours in...

1. Died at the top of the Tower of London like an idiot. So I took my next guy all the way...but in the underwater maze...my radar went out and there was a single 'electric' zombie down there screaming and going crazy. It would attack, I'd wack it a few times and it was disappear and then reappear seconds later and storm at me from another angle. Eventually, I took her out with my AK-47, but Christ...it took at least 4 respawns.

That is really, really strange, because
the first time you encounter the vanishing screamer type isn't until a bit later into the game, and it's insanely tense when you first encounter it. I know that they said that enemies are somewhat randomized, but you encountering one of those before it's official debut sucks. Also, just use the shotgun or the first carbine on those. They are actually pretty easy to kill that way.

This game is SO Resident Evil.

I only see references. I understand the similarities, but it's more more Condemned with a coat of Resident Evil paint on top of it. The actual gameplay is 80% Condemned though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zga6ZtAZLew

mxgt

Banned
Got my WiiU yesterday and played this almost all afternoon, fucking love it.

Was shocked when I loaded up my save late last night and got attacked by an infected survivor off the bat. The atmosphere is so good.

Mael

I have a friend that shows up at my Safe House every time. Never any loot. It's like there's always a roach in the house I need to kill before I'm comfortable enough to sleep.

"It's too dangerous to sleep."

"@#$%"

::shuffle over to the gate::

WHACK

WHACK

WHACK

WHACK

WHACK

::slams gate shut::

"@#$%"

::goes back to bed::

That's actually awesome/funny!

sinnergy

This game is much better than anticipated,, also in the graphics department imo.

The effects are aweome, lens flares, the stuff on the lens dust, fog (really awesome), the shadowing and lighting looks awesome, in those area's it's above PS3/Xbox 360, minus some PS3/X360 AAA games, Halo 4 , the Uncharteds etc.

Sure it has some nasty textures, but it feels more as a money time thing than a power thing.

But for a launch game wow.

Sanctuary

Still can't believe how entirely off base some of the lower scores were. I definitely don't think it's a 9.0 or whatever that some of the more inflated scores were sitting around, but it's nowhere near a 4.5. Even EGM, one of the most respected and reliable magazines of the 90s gives it an out of whack review on their online site (which will probably be mirrored in their mag).

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-zombiu/

Guy is just wrong about so many things. Why are reviewers allowed to play a game once and then review it? Most people in general do not learn every single nuance of a game on their first playthrough. This guy truly missed the boat on a lot in his review. I typically never get irate over reviews, since they seem so formulatic anymore, but the lower scores have me baffled. Get people that actually like the genre to review it maybe?

Sanctuary

It does. You might need to adjust your sound options through the Wii U dashboard. If you have it set to surround and aren't actually hooked up to a receiver that has more modern HDMI inputs, you will lose channels.

What I want to know is why sometimes it makes a smashing glass sound when you crush the head of a zombie (especially when there's nothing glass around).

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
That's actually awesome/funny!

I didn't even mention the times when her zombie steps up the trolling by having her name indicator show up in the floor beneath me as I'm heading to my safe house. She's somewhere down there, god knows where.

Omfg...try playing this with the crosshairs turned off...it's more than a little insane lololol

3 dead in 20 minutes lol. Have only just started though so haven't got used to the cricket bat mechanics yet!

Very happy with the U so far, love some of the pictures on Miiverse - someone in the ZombiU community did one of the Queen eating with 'one does like brains' written next to it lololol

Miiverse is going to be huge imo.

oatmeal

Banned
That is really, really strange, because
the first time you encounter the vanishing screamer type isn't until a bit later into the game, and it's insanely tense when you first encounter it. I know that they said that enemies are somewhat randomized, but you encountering one of those before it's official debut sucks. Also, just use the shotgun or the first carbine on those. They are actually pretty easy to kill that way.

I only see references. I understand the similarities, but it's more more Condemned with a coat of Resident Evil paint on top of it. The actual gameplay is 80% Condemned though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zga6ZtAZLew

I wonder if it's because I went through the entire mission up on the tower but died after the cinematic...but I had so much gear that I went back for my stuff?

Regardless...your second point is true. It's a good mix of Condemned and RE.

antonz

Gaffers who want to add me go ahead. antonz is NNID. At least one gaffer has gotten lucky and plundered my corpse of lots of goodies. They were at least kind enough to send a thank you for the loot message too :p

Man, I am so horrible at this game. Still haven't gotten past
Victoria Memorial
on Survival yet.

I do have a theory on the ending (spoilers):
As I keep replaying the first parts of the game, it occurs to me that the Prepper keeps sending you out to scan junction boxes or to obtain resources to fortify the base even more, but complains when you do something other than such simple tasks. I think the Prepper might simply be selfish, and is using survivors to keep his base well stocked and defended without having to risk his own life with little regard for actually helping others.

derFeef

Gaffers who want to add me go ahead. antonz is NNID. At least one gaffer has gotten lucky and plundered my corpse of lots of goodies. They were at least kind enough to send a thank you for the loot message too :p

I think it was me? At least I think I read your name in the game somwhere - but no player-zombie actually had any loot yet.

Add me man! SlasherJPC Glad your enjoying it.

Added :D

NeoRausch

damm, my game still sits at the post office till tomorrow!

anyway: NNID: NeoRausch

gonna start the game tomorrow. plase add a short message with your gaf name

VICI0US

Man, I am so horrible at this game. Still haven't gotten past
Victoria Memorial
on Survival yet.

I do have a theory on the ending (spoilers):
As I keep replaying the first parts of the game, it occurs to me that the Prepper keeps sending you out to scan junction boxes or to obtain resources to fortify the base even more, but complains when you do something other than such simple tasks. I think the Prepper might simply be selfish, and is using survivors to keep his base well stocked and defended without having to risk his own life with little regard for actually helping others.

possible

the game does make a point to show that he's missing an arm and part of one leg. he might be unable to get by, forage, and fight, on his own. he might need the survivors more than they need him.

it's also possible he was depending on the survivors to rescue him, with all his talk of betrayal when he finds you're planning to evacuate alone.

Miiverse is going to be huge imo.
I hope Microsoft and Sony are paying attention, Nintendo are behind in a lot of areas, but this idea is a great one. I'd imagine it would also be super useful for them to collect feedback.

Also, I'm beginning to hope that Microsoft and Sony will also go down the gamepad route with their next systems, but with better tech. It's a pretty great "gimmick" and really shines in ZombiU.

Just played for 2 hours, and I feel like I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. I tend to have ammo a lot of the time, and I find I'm not dying as much. Of course now that I say that I'm sure I'll jump into a huge difficulty spike and eat my words...

Awesome game though. It says a lot that I picked up both this and Super Mario U and so far have only spent about 30 minutes on Mario. I just love this game so much.

hunnies28

Loving this game so far, I just picked the
2nd book
. I found an online survivor that had a backpack full of goodies hehe, the more stuff I get the more fearful I get of dying.

evangd007

I hope Microsoft and Sony are paying attention, Nintendo are behind in a lot of areas, but this idea is a great one. I'd imagine it would also be super useful for them to collect feedback.

Also, I'm beginning to hope that Microsoft and Sony will also go down the gamepad route with their next systems, but with better tech. It's a pretty great "gimmick" and really shines in ZombiU.

A feature is a gimmick that has a tangible positive effect on gameplay.

Any tips and tricks for a beginner?

Was running to a man hole and was about to go down when a Zombie got me :( haha

My thoughts after playing for a total of 6 hours...

Move slow, be patient. When you see more than 1 Zombie in a room, tread carefully. When you see more than 2, best just to run or use a grenade or some other explosive. Don't worry about dying too much- eventually you'll fall into a groove and it won't be a huge deal.

And remember when you're going on your corpse runs that you can save a lot of time by running past a lot of the zombies. You don't need to fight 'em all. Unlock the manhole shortcuts and be evasive and after you learn all the routes you can usually hoof it back to your zombified former self in no more than a few minutes.

Don't be afraid to dump stuff in your storage box at the safehouse. Eventually you'll get to a point where you have more than you can carry, and you may find it handy to have a stash when you have to restart with a new survivor.

When facing multiple zombies, try to get into a doorway so they can only come at you one at a time, and other than that...I dunno. I'm still gettin' the hang of it, and I know there's still a ton I have to learn.

Snogger_T

game breaking glitch?

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS?***

So I am early in the game on the supermarket mission. I went in and scanned the JB and then he told me to get back to the safehouse... I went outside the supermarket and the mob of zombies attacked. I hauled ass back to the safehouse through the shortcut, saved and turned the game off. Now when I start back up, it still says to go the safe house...I do, then the market moves to outside the market. I go back outside, the marker goes back inside...sooo, is my game pretty much screwed? I'm loving the game, but to have a game breaking glitch less than an hour in isn't the best thing to make me want to invest in a game.

I have a friend that shows up at my Safe House every time. Never any loot. It's like there's always a roach in the house I need to kill before I'm comfortable enough to sleep.

"It's too dangerous to sleep."

"@#$%"

::shuffle over to the gate::

WHACK

WHACK

WHACK

WHACK

WHACK

::slams gate shut::

"@#$%"

::goes back to bed::

Accurate post lol

Sanctuary

Has anyone used the Uplay app yet to unlock some of the rewards? Specifically 'The last of them" reward.

Here's the rewards (skip to the very bottom for the one you specifically asked about):

Actions:

BOB is your best friend- 10 points
Pick up BOB.

Unbreakable- 20 points
Reach a survivor score of 2000 points.

CCTV is watching you- 30 points
Hack all the CCTV Junction Boxes in London.

I survived- 40 points
Beat the game.

Rewards:

Back in the 80's- 10 points
ZombiU Logo 80s style.

Punk is not dead!- 20 points
Cricket bat customization.

God save the Queen- 30 points
Bonus videos.

The Last of Them- 40 points
New Multiplayer Survival Game Mode

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
- Trek back to safe house before exploring further to refill health and save progress.
- Cannot save, danger nearby.
- Shitting myself.
- Slowly explore the area, radar picks up a single infected around a corner.
- Ambush, pummel its head in.
- It's IrishNinja.
- He has no loot.

Thanks bro.

olimpia84

So... is the developer zombie anywhere specific? Does it have anything good?

I don't think you can find the dev zombie anymore. When I checked yesterday there was a message from the dev team announcing the name of the person who found the zombie and its rare loot.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I don't think you can find the dev zombie anymore. When I checked yesterday there was a message from the dev team announcing the name of the person who found the zombie and its rare loot.

Sigh. I didn't find it during the week, and I was wondering why.

Side note: did we determine that killing yourself with mines/etc. still creates a zombie of you -- or just a dead corpse you can reclaim stuff from?

I ask as it seems as though you could distribute nice guns/equipment to your friends by stocking up on your best items and getting killed just outside your safe house door... you can easily reclaim the goods, and they should still be able to get them.

Sigh. I didn't find it during the week, and I was wondering why.

Side note: did we determine that killing yourself with mines/etc. still creates a zombie of you -- or just a dead corpse you can reclaim stuff from?

I ask as it seems as though you could distribute nice guns/equipment to your friends by stocking up on your best items and getting killed just outside your safe house door... you can easily reclaim the goods, and they should still be able to get them.
Killing yourself through some kind of immolation will not zombify you. It will even say "and you will never get up" to hint towards that outcome.

Basically you die so badly it bypasses zombification entirely, and I'm guessing only zombies show up in other games.

IrishNinja

man im glad i listened to you guys, this game is such a brutal little thing, haha

took me a bit to sort out simple shit like the quick access/flashlight stuff (god you can barely see shit on my plasma even at max brightness), got pissed when i died with a full backpack & died again trying to get it back, but im slowly getting the hang of it i think.

i just
defended my safehouse from its first invasion, now it's off to buckingham i go
, any pointers? i was told to batten down the hatches but i dont know what i coudlve done, maybe used some of those planks to reinforce a door or something? would've only slowed them down a bit, i don't know how i was supposed to get through that when i had little to no ammo, i cant cricket melee and survive if there's 3 or more on screen sadly. am i going about things wrong? best strategy i could find in a pinch was toss a flare and whack away/hope for the best before it burns out.

also this was the first game i played long enough that my fully charged pad ran outta juice, they need to get those batteries out there soon!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
During the
safe house ambush
I had stockpiled a lot of pistol ammo, and so managed to pick a lot of them off before they got too close. Then for the last 3 or 4 I set a land mine near a doorway and bottlenecked them through.

Sanctuary

i just
defended my safehouse from its first invasion, now it's off to buckingham i go
, any pointers?
Yes, make sure you save at least
two flares and two cocktails, and save them for when they are absolutely necessary. There are two spots where they help out immensely.

Also, you aren't quite on your way to the palace yet, you still need to go through
Victoria Gardens. For that, make sure to setup the exploding drums beforehand, AND...don't loot the lockpick until you have everything setup, and have already run back to the safe house to store gear if you needed to. Also make sure to pickup the heavy machine gun ammo and reload the gun twice before you pickup the lockpick...dun dun dun

During the
safe house ambush
I had stockpiled a lot of pistol ammo, and so managed to pick a lot of them off before they got too close. Then for the last 3 or 4 I set a land mine near a doorway and bottlenecked them through.

If you just run around to the right (outside of the safe house) there's a small crawl space - I just lured them all there while they crawled and insta-killed them one by one.

Top Bottom