• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

effzee

I know all the discussions are about the speed of travel, but also when Gendry left and Jon says "tell Dany what happened here" nothing had yet happened.

There was a rumbling (of a horde) in the bg, but I don't know exactly what additional details Gendry was going to provide that Dany didn't already know was a possibility beyond the wall.

I mean this isn't really that big. Jon spent some time with Danny and each time she or even others talked about anything other than the WW he would bring up the NK. Safe to assume he mentioned that going beyond the wall means they could face the NK. Again makes the whole plan dumb as shit, but Gendry probably told Davos that they caught a WW but then he alerted the larger group.

They can put 2+2 together. Of course all of this can be avoided if they had Bran see in a vision what is happening or about to happen, and he sends a raven to Danny.

She did. A lot.

Yeah no. She hated her as siblings often hate their older or younger siblings. Not to the point that she wanted to kill her. Sansa was never on her list.

And again that was years ago. After all they have been through, this shouldn't matter at all.

OrionX

Sansa going to Littlefinger has been really freaking mind boggling. It doesn't make sense to me, if this is not some kind of ruse.

I mean she knows he's a shady dude, but he's been the most constant presence in her life for a while now. She thinks she knows exactly what he wants, which is for the two of them to rule the seven kingdoms together, and she knows some of his secrets so I think she feels like she can confide in him to some extent.

Anyone think there is any chance that in season 8, Jon and Dany defeat the Night King together, and then Dany goes all "mad queen" and becomes the "final boss" and Jon and co. have to take down Dany and her dragons?

I was trying to think of surprises they could pull in season 8 that would shock everyone.

I don't think there is enough time left in the last season for them to successfully pull off a switch like that without it being a trainwreck on all levels. Definitely expect to see betrayals, major deaths, twists and turns, but nothing that derails the ultimate good vs ultimate evil showdown to that degree.

effzee

As to why she would turn to LF, keep in mind he brought the Vale to help her and Jon out. Without him they probably lose to Ramsay and are dead.

So she has to keep him around, and unlike others, he makes it his business to be always involved. This is why it would have been super cool if they were playing LF and catch him red handed in front the other leaders in Winterfell to finally either kill him or get him out of the picture.

But nope they both acknowledge he isn't to be trusted but fall for his simplistic trap anyway.

Has this been posted?

Game Of Thrones director admits the show’s timeline is “straining plausibility

The director of the episode, Alan Taylor, hears fan questions about just how Davos knew which raven would fly the fastest, admitting to Variety that the timeline’s “getting a little hazy.”

As Taylor tells Variety, the Thrones team has been focusing on the “emotional experience” of Snow-cean’s Seven’s misguided mission rather than the particulars of how it unfolds. “We tried to hedge it a little bit with the eternal twilight up there north of The Wall. I think there was some effort to fudge the timeline a little bit by not declaring exactly how long we were there,” Taylor says, which “worked for some people, for other people it didn’t.” Noting that fans “seemed to be very concerned about how fast a raven can fly,” Taylor brings up “plausible impossibilities, which is what you try to achieve, rather than impossible plausibilities. So I think we were straining plausibility a little bit, but I hope the story’s momentum carries over some of that stuff.” Ultimately, the story took precedence over the pacing; there was just too much important stuff to address, though that doesn’t seem to include discussing just how stupid the plan to capture a wight was in the first place.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yeah no. She hated her as siblings often hate their older or younger siblings. Not to the point that she wanted to kill her. Sansa was never on her list.

And again that was years ago. After all they have been through, this shouldn't matter at all.
Then why didn't she hate Robb, Jon or Bran? She never had a kind word to say about Sansa, she only was able to be happy to see her again until she realized she was still that shitty kid who cared more about being someone important than her family and now Arya feels like she's that but even worse.

mantidor

Why are people trying to erase 6 season of character development in Arya and Sansa? Jesus.

Arya literally says she must reunite with her sister, she obviously cares about her, Sansa asks for her to Brienne. The whole Winterfell is obviously a ruse, which is lame for how predictable it is, but whatever, not as lame as both Stark girls becoming 12 year olds again for a stupid letter everyone who came in contact with (or anyone with a brain) knew it was forced and immediately dismissed it.

Edit: and now I remember that dumb scene with Ed Sheeran that (with the subtlety of a hammer) show Arya how sides in war are not black and white, but she goes ham in Sansa and people believe it? Christ

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I rewatched this scene with Ned talking to Arya
Foreshadowing?
"Try not to stab your sister with it"

I think the show's just creating false drama with their story. There is *NO WAY* Arya and Sansa come to blows. What I'm guessing:

Arya is onto LittleFinger's schemes and she's just creating this drama as a ploy to 'catch' LF leading to the Stark sisters taking care of LF once and for all.

riotous

Banned
But if she is playing a game against LF, why in private conversation with Sansa is she torturing Sansa?

What did Sansa do next? She went to Little Finger; which is what Arya could have been predicting, and why Arya in a private conversation with Sansa wouldn't let her know what she was up to.

OR it's just drama; or a bit of both. Arya truly doesn't trust Sansa but is also toying with LF. If Arya knows LF was player her, then she knows LF is trying to create drama between her and Sansa. Letting LF think that his plan worked is exactly what she'd want to do to figure out what to do next to play LF.

We'll find out, but I have a feeling this will be Arya outshining LF at his own game in the end.

I think the show's just creating false drama with their story. There is *NO WAY* Arya and Sansa come to blows. What I'm guessing:

Arya is onto LittleFinger's schemes and she's just creating this drama as a ploy to 'catch' LF leading to the Stark sisters taking care of LF once and for all.
Yep, they have to be able to out Littlefinger to all the lords and especially Lord Royce somehow. I'm assuming it's where it's all heading.

That foreshadow tho..lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

of course they know it's silly. these people are not amateurs. they just dont care. The director said that they focused on the emotional returns but i think they did everything because it was cool. having a frozen lake stand off is cool. showing night king killing a flying dragon instead of a stationary dragon is cool.. having Jon fight random white walkers instead of bolting was done just so they could bring uncle benjen and have a cool scene towards the end when jon emerges from the trees.

the whole raven thing could've been fixed by having Dany go to the wall with them. Easy to call for an airstrike when you have backup just 50 miles away. Sending a raven 1,500 miles is ridiculous.

the show isnt written by idiots. its just written idiotically because they care about the spectacle and not common sense.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'd love that, although they've been so back and forth on Aerys parallels that it's hard to draw a straight line from Daenerys here to a "Mad Queen" Daenerys a season from now.

I was down about this past episode because there were no surprises so I thought what could they do to really throw everyone for a loop.

What if Dany has been playing everyone this whole time? A major theme of this season has been about Dany ruling with kindness vs Dany ruling with fear. So far it seems she has chosen kindness, but what if she just wants her two biggest threats out of the way(Cersei and now the Night King) so she can rule everyone as a fearsome dictator?

Then it would be up to Jon to stop her.

Again, I don't think this will happen. It's highly unlikely they've been building up to a Dany and Jon romance this entire time for nothing. Plus this is only something GRRM would have the balls to do. I doubt DD would have the guts.

aBarreras

i really hope is Sansa who is playing with LF , and demonstrate how much she has grow up to the supid child that is Arya Stark

It still baffles me to see people underestimate Littlefinger.

The dude is the reason behind The War of the 5 Kings and so much more.

I do think Arya and Sansa have grown, obviously, but he's been playing the game longer than they've been alive.

I can believe if Arya finds a way to outsmart him because she's had a different and very specific kind of training. I'll believe it if Bran outs him to everyone because he can. But if Sansa is playing him then hell no. She's been nearly nothing but stupid this whole series.

Sephzilla

Everyone at this point should logically be well aware that Littlefinger is a giant schemer who should not be trusted at all. Everything involving Littlefinger should approach things with the idea that he's either lying or manipulating someone, yet they keep talking to Littlefinger

John and Sansa should have offed Littlefinger before Bolton's body was even cold yet.

I do think Arya and Sansa have grown, obviously, but he's been playing the game longer than they've been alive.

I can believe if Arya finds a way to outsmart him because she's had a different and very specific kind of training. I'll believe it if Bran outs him to everyone because he can. But if Sansa is playing him then hell no. She's been nearly nothing but stupid this whole series.

I think the girls have the hindsight to out maneuver Little finger. The have seen him operate. Little finger doesn't know if there playing him becuase he wouldn't suspect they would. He's used to playing with the big boys.

aBarreras

thats where you are wrong, the only person who can pull littlefinger strins is Sansa, and no one else.

maybe she cant really outsmart him, but she is the only one who can emotionally shake him long enough to meet his doom

#TEAMSANSA

OrionX

Littlefinger has basically made a living out of being underestimated. He always makes sure to be useful enough to the right people to stay alive, then by the time someone realizes they've placed too much trust in him they conveniently end up dead. I don't think he's done yet.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
What's your guys favorite Game of Thrones podcasts?

I've heard The Ringer and someone recommended Bald Move to me. I think both are ok. The Ringer can get too jokey at times and Bald Move is solid.

To me this isn't a podcast, but if you listen to stuff on youtube, Smokescreen is probably the best.

Pepiope

Littlefinger has basically made a living out of being underestimated. He always makes sure to be useful enough to the right people to stay alive, then by the time someone realizes they've placed too much trust in him they conveniently end up dead. I don't think he's done yet.
I think he's done next week.

Arya can't be that stupid to play into his hand, can she?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

I would agree. Unfortunately, one thing he can't outsmart is a series' run time, and I don't see what use he could possibly be next season. If he doesn't die in the finale, then I think he goes in the first episode or two in season 8. What use could he possibly have against the Night King other than to waste more time in Winterfell and annoy the viewers?

I think the girls have the hindsight to out maneuver Little finger. The have seen him operate. Little finger doesn't know if there playing him becuase he wouldn't suspect they would. He's used to playing with the big boys.

He's the author of that imagine every scenario and nothing will surprise you line. It'd be out of character for him to not see it coming because he didn't suspect those two would come up with something. Especially since he's been training Sansa and sees what she's capable of, and he's also wary of Arya enough to put these actions into play to get rid of her.

Addi

That's my guess too. Arya could have ended Littlefinger the moment she stepped into winterfell, but still wouldn't know what to think of Sansa. Maybe by pushing Sansa to kill Littlefinger, Arya would be able to trust Sansa.

aBarreras

That's my guess too. Arya could have ended Littlefinger the moment she stepped into winterfell, but still wouldn't know what to think of Sansa. Maybe by pushing Sansa to kill Littlefinger, Arya would be able to trust Sansa.

man, fuck arya, if thats really her intention.

why she can trust family? for fucks sake

Sephzilla

I think Littlefinger might bite it next episode but for an admittedly dumb reason - this season feels like it hasn't had a truly high profile character death, and Littlefinger sort of seems cornered.

man, fuck arya, if thats really her intention.

why she can trust family? for fucks sake

She hasn't seen Sansa in years, the last time she saw Sansa she was with Joffrey, and she just found a letter with Sansa condemning their father. I mean, the logic does kind of check out simply because Arya hasnt seen any of the Sansa episodes from season 2 onward. Where the logic falters is "why hasn't Arya talked to Bran?"

OrionX

I would agree. Unfortunately, one thing he can't outsmart is a series' run time, and I don't see what use he could possibly be next season. If he doesn't die in the finale, then I think he goes in the first episode or two in season 8. What use could he possibly have against the Night King other than to waste more time in Winterfell and annoy the viewers?

I'm really not sure where they're going with this storyline, but it seems too predictable for Arya to kill Littlefinger, and it's hard to imagine Sansa doing it, though that would be an amazing moment if she did.

I just can't shake the feeling that LF will be chilling somewhere next season, waiting for everyone to die in the final battle. lol

SlimySnake

Starks are dumb. they have shitty northern genes that make them oblivious.
  • Ned Stark - Decides to not even tell his own wife that the son is not his. Decides to tell Cersei he knows. Doesnt tell Robert his son is not his.
  • Cat Stark - Decides to believe that Tyrion would use his own dagger to kill Bran then hang around in the North for months.
  • Sansa Stark - Liked Joffrey and defended him after seeing him throw a fit and got the butcher's boy killed.
  • Rob Stark - Broke an oath for pussy, killed an ally instead of imprisoning them and then took his wife to same house he refused to marry. Oh sent Theon to get brainwashed.
  • Jon Snow/Targryan/Stark - Charged into battle and nearly got everyone killed. Ran away from the dragon instead of escaping. Hasn't set a letter to WinterFell in the months hes been away mining dragon glass.
  • Bran Stark - Tells Sansa he saw her get raped. Doesnt tell her Littlefinger planned everything.
  • Ricon Stark - Doesnt believe in zig zagging.
  • Arya Stark - Reads a letter written under duress, admits it was written under duress, doesnt see littlefinger planted it, doesnt realize Sansa went through hell.

They are a family of idiots. Even theon caught some of their dumbness and acted like a moron for an entire season. Greyjoys arent idiots. Theon is an exception. Why? He was raised by the Starks.

I rest my case.

Littlefinger is inconsistent the last two seasons. Every one of the Starks openly distrusts him and he still thinks he's got a shot at...whatever the hell it is he's trying to do in Winterfell.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm really not sure where they're going with this storyline, but it seems too predictable for Arya to kill Littlefinger, and it's hard to imagine Sansa doing it, though that would be an amazing moment if she did.

I just can't shake the feeling that LF will be chilling somewhere next season, waiting for everyone to die in the final battle. lol

I hope that is Theon's fate. Everyone in Westeros dies, and he's the only one left.

riotous

Banned

I personally don't think Sansa will outsmart him at all; she's a useful tool for Arya though. There was a weird argument earlier that Sansa sent Brienne off as a way to mess with LF, but I got the opposite out of that.. Sansa played right into LF's plan as he wanted her to get rid of Brienne.

And LF can scheme all he wants, Arya has magic on her side, and I don't think LF knows that. If Arya figured out that LF set her up to have conflict with Sansa, then she is one step ahead of him. LF may have underestimated Arya.

And in the end, it's what the writers decide, so they can have LF be outsmarted by anyone they choose. And it makes sense for that person to be Arya at this point based on her arch. With some help from Sansa.

Arya might also get herself killed playing the game with him, we'll see.

Starks are dumb. they have shitty northern genes that make them oblivious.
  • Ned Stark - Decides to not even tell his own wife that the son is not his. Decides to tell Cersei he knows. Doesnt tell Robert his son is not his.

• He made a promise to his sister to keep this a secret.
    Ned's not going to tell Cat, her scorn helps his case anyway since no one would suspect Jon.

I think Littlefinger might bite it next episode but for an admittedly dumb reason - this season feels like it hasn't had a truly high profile character death, and Littlefinger sort of seems cornered.

She hasn't seen Sansa in years, the last time she saw Sansa she was with Joffrey, and she just found a letter with Sansa condemning their father. I mean, the logic does kind of check out simply because Arya hasnt seen any of the Sansa episodes from season 2 onward. Where the logic falters is "why hasn't Arya talked to Bran?"

Maybe because she's not Arya?

I also believe that LF will bite it in the next episode. Sansa distrusts him and must suspect him to be the one who tried to manipulate Arya, who else?

But why is she sending Brienne to King's Landing? To make her kiss the hound?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What the fuck have the Greyjoys been doing the last few episodes?

This season really could use more episodes
Can Theon even do anything? He has, like, ten guys and none of them will follow him cus he's a coward. I guess we will see what his plan to get Yara back will be next episode but I don't see him being able to do anything.

Man... what they did do Benjamins story was criminal. You hid Benj in a shroud of mystery for that long only to have him die in like 5 seconds without answering all the things we've been wondering about... shit, not even a hint. Like he was just wrote in years ago so Jon can have his last minute cheat code.

Imma need bran to answer all these.

SlimySnake

Man... what they did do Benjamins story was criminal. You hid Benj in a shroud of mystery for that long only to have him die in like 5 seconds without answering all the things we've been wondering about... shit, not even a hint. Like he was wrote in years ago so Jon can have his last minute cheat code.

Imma need bran to answer all these.

i saw this awesome video on cold hands. he's got a magic arm, a magic moose and wears an awesome hood.

i mean look at this.

300px-Zippo514_Coldhands.jpg

Top Bottom