• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Harmen

They made him too powerful and that is now a problem.

They could've shown that he has some serious struggles of becoming the three eyed raven too soon. He wasn't ready according to the original one after all. From a writing perspective, I saw that as an opportunity to stall his powers until needed and give him a small transition arc.

JonWightKill.gif
Jonathan of Rivia's a damn good swordsman.
Honestly though, Jon's skills continue to impress.

aBarreras

The problem for LF is that he is cornered, he doesn't have lot of moving pieces to play with as in King's Landing. And why does Sansa need to outplay LF? She can just slit his throat.

I think some people have argued that if Jon had a bigger army, Ramsey would never had met them out in the field. He would have stayed inside Winterfell and won.

this is exactly what would have happened

The problem for LF is that he is cornered, he doesn't have lot of moving pieces to play with as in King's Landing. And why does Sansa need to outplay LF? She can just slit his throat.

Because, if you read the whole convo you would see that I'm arguing that she can't outplay him, not that she can't kill him.

Kill away, I'd be alright with her getting tired of his shit and killing him, but for her devise a plan to outsmart him until he's cornered like a rat with no way out, nope.

OrionX

I agree that this is how it should play out actually.

But there has been very little reason to believe that Sansa is capable of outsmarting him, plain and simple. And that is my whole argument, and that's why I think it would be stupid.

Just because she's close to him doesn't mean much, he's used to be close to everyone on the counsel and to this day none of them know he put the Lannisters in debt or was involved in Joffreys death, or was the reason behind the War of the 5 kings.

Varys is oblivious but Sansa isn't? I'm sorry but that ain't right.

I just feel like they've been setting up a "student surpasses the master" storyline with Sansa/LF. Littlefinger has basically been her mentor, advising her every step of the way. He thinks he can control her, that she's a trophy he can carry with him all the way to the Iron Throne, but I don't think Sansa intends to let herself be controlled by another man again.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I think some people have argued that if Jon had a bigger army, Ramsey would never had met them out in the field. He would have stayed inside Winterfell and won.
But why not tell Jon this information? She threw him into the meat grinder because she didn't trust him fully and not because she was playing 4D chess with Ramsay and Jon.

aBarreras

But why not tell Jon this information? She threw him into the meat grinder because she didn't trust him fully and not because she was playing 4D chess with Ramsay and Jon.

seee? people wont recognize it,

if she kept the info for herself, it is because she is a bitch who doesnt trust her brother/cousin.

no way she is playing the odds or something...

she is so dumb! how can she plan something like this!

pfft

Elandyll

Banned
Sansa told Jon to wait until they had more soldiers, Jon knew there were no more but Sansa STILL didn't tell him about Littlefinger. Jon would've waited a little longer if only she had told him and would have never had to gotten saved to begin with.

She essentialy set him up to fail and then proclaimed herself the reason Jon won when she's actually the reason he lost.
You are correct, except she didn't even tell him to wait for more soldiers, just to wait, and knowing that having seen the undead horde Jon had this urgency.
And he asked to her face "Why should I wait!?"

I am against violence toward women, but in the ep following BotB he should have slapped the crap out of her imo. She not only set him up to fail, but to be killed alongside thousands of Wildlings.

This is a BS explanation.
She could have helped coordinate the Vale knights and Jon, letting him know when to expect them, and still draw Ramsey's forces out.

Think of this: what if Jon& Co had only showed up in front of WF 1h later, Vale knights charging in from the flank right after the Karstark forces charged?

Also, it didn't matter if they stayed in WF, Wildlings still had a Wun Wun who, covered by volleys of arrows fired into WF by Stavos led forces, could have charged in just the same.

Einchy

seee? people wont recognize it,

if she did it, it is because she is a bitch who doesnt trust her brother/cousin.

no way she is playing the odds or something...

she is so dumb! how can she plan something like this!

pfft
You've not explained why this was the right choice to do, hell, Sansa herself apologized to Jon because she knew it was the wrong call.

I guess Sansa hates Sansa, too.

She had no reason, it was stupid of her not to tell him.
But others will tell you that he'd have misused the KOTV or something and messed up.
Even though for a bastard's first field battle, a smuggler and a wildling who is more accustomed to raiding, the pincer move tactic was actually a sound idea.

More men would've helped, with Bronze Yohn and other accomplished/experienced lords their battle plans and provisions would be of great help.

People who know about swords: Is this a cool move that advanced swordsmen do all the time or is it a dumb move that is done purely for spectacle?

Probably more in the realm of "rule of cool", but it looked convincing and that's what matters more imo.

Because, if you read the whole convo you would see that I'm arguing that she can't outplay him, not that she can't kill him.

Kill away, I'd be alright with her getting tired of his shit and killing him, but for her devise a plan to outsmart him until he's cornered like a rat with no way out, nope.
I think it would be less that she is better than all his other competition and more that she is a weak spot / blind spot for him. If it were to go that way.

Becuase he has the vale wrapped around his littlefingers.

They need to out him to retain thier loyalty

Gattsu25

Banned
Rhedd Shurt is the son of Torin Shurt of Tye islands in the Shivering Sea. They are a small house but a proud wildling house.

Rhedd quickly became one of Tormund' s right hand man due to his amazing crouching technique displayed at the Battle of Castle Black.

Rhedd is usually seen carrying his family's ancestral valyrial steel spear called "Pawlished Shue".

It was Toryn Shurt but you got the rest correct.

aBarreras

You've not explained why this was the right choice to do, hell, Sansa herself apologized to Jon because she knew it was the wrong call.

I guess Sansa hates Sansa, too.

because the reason they won was the surprise factor, maybe jon would have made the same plan, endure the battle and then expect for the KOTV to arrive and surprise ramsay, but the result would have been the same, because he threw of his plan out of the window trying to save rickon.

all of the plannings they could have done including the KOTV woulnt even mattered.

Einchy

because the reason they won was the surprise factor, maybe jon would have made the same plan, endure the battle and then expect for the KOTV to arrive and surprise ramsay, but the result would have been the same, because he threw of his plan out of the window trying to save rickon.

all of the plannings they could have done including the KOTV woulnt even mattered.
So it's okay for Sansa to not tell Jon about a whole army because of the future? Dude, she literally said she should've told Jon about it, at this point you're defending Sansa against Sansa, not even Sansa agrees with you.

aBarreras

Becuase he has the vale wrapped around his littlefingers.

They need to out him to retain thier loyalty

sansa is the only one that know that LF killed cat sister right? that would be the reveal so the KOTV change their loyality to sansa

So it's okay for Sansa to not tell Jon about a whole army because of the future? Dude, she literally said she should've told Jon about it, at this point you're defending Sansa against Sansa, not even Sansa agrees with you.

after the last episode, i dont think sansa's apology was sincere, she did what she had to do, and told jon what he wanted to hear.

also see, not even crosses your mind, that maybe she anticipated Ramsay's actions? not right? because she is dumbbbbb

Addi

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Depends on the area of her pitstops. Somewhere in the middle...leaves. Further up north...a snowball.

Edit: the chains were built in advance for multi-purpose plot-armor-transportation. I bet Cersei has a huge chain herself already.

I thought everyone knew where the Night King acquired those chains.

Edit: meme pic referred to something that happened in the books

Savitar

It does feel like the show with knowing only the end game is a bit more aimless, but the biggest issue feels like they're trying to do too much in too few episodes. Things need to be stretched out more to more easily flow into one another naturally. I can see the next season getting more episodes than planned to fully work things out.

Einchy

after the last episode, i dont think sansa's apology was sincere, she did what she had to do, and told jon what he wanted to hear.

also see, not even crosses your mind, that maybe she anticipated Ramsay's actions? not right? because she is dumbbbbb
You've still not explined why telling Jon vital information wouldve been a bad idea.

Jon is pretty hopeless all the way up to the battle and only motivated by saving his siblings.
But he is "reborn" and finds his will to live when he is almost drowned in the meat mountain during the battle.
emotionally he is hopeless, but physically he did not back down from the fight and killed people left and right.

that "reborn" scene a lot of people compare to the meesa scene with Dany several seasons ago

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
People are always swooping in to save Jon's ass. Stannis, Sansa, Dany, Benjen.

Don't forget the cavalry saving him when he decided he could square up against this,

6ccf7230-6e4b-4cd5-81fa-e0646f0b96f2-giphy-downsized-large.gif

One of the reasons why I think Jon is going to bite it in the end, is that eventually he would have to be the one to make this kind of last minute save for someone, and I think it's going to be Dany.

Don't forget the cavalry saving him when he decided he could square up against this,

6ccf7230-6e4b-4cd5-81fa-e0646f0b96f2-giphy-downsized-large.gif

One of the reasons why I think Jon is going to bite it in the end, is that eventually he would have to be the one to make this kind of last minute save for someone, and I think it's going to be Dany.

3rd time won't be a fakeout, eh? :/
I miss the "attack on Castle Black" Jon, rezzed Jon's not taking care of himself to the detriment of himself and others.

aBarreras

So she took a gamble instead of using smarts? This doesn't help your argument, lol.

everything in game of thrones is a gamble dude, sometimes they pay off, some others they dont, like nex episode when LF finally bites the dust, at hands of who? i dont care, i just want him dead

but i would rather be sansa than arya

Einchy

i never said it wasnt fucked up, i think that is also part of her arc, being a mini littlefinger/cersei and all
Yeah but your argument actually makes her seem dumber and pretty shitty. Not trusting Jon is a lot less worse than her rolling the dice on literally saving the world from the White Walkers, that's so much dumber.

aBarreras

Yeah but your argument actually makes her seem dumber and pretty shitty. Not trusting Jon is a lot less worse than her rolling the dice on literally saving the world from the White Walkers, that's so much dumber.

i mean, they need winterfell to defend themselves from the white walkers no?

also, she didnt know or didnt care abou them because like everyone else on westeros, they dont believe in them.

Einchy

i mean, they need winterfell to defend themselves from the white walkers no?

also, she didnt know or didnt care abou them because like everyone else on westeros, they dont believe in them.
Yes but rolling the dice and letting Ramsay win means the White Walkers win.

So you're saying she didn't believe Jon? Everything Jon was doing was to fight the Walkers and you're saying she didn't believe him? are you sure you're not the one arguing that Sansa is dumb?

aBarreras

Yes but rolling the dice and letting Ramsay win means the White Walkers win.

So you're saying she didn't believe Jon? Everything Jon was doing was to fight the Walkers and you're saying she didn't believe him? are you sure you're not the one arguing that Sansa is dumb?

im saying more rolling the dice about jon or his allies surviving the battle.

also little finger is the smartest and i dont think he believes in White walkers, so believing in them or not, has nothing to be with being dumb or smart

Top Bottom