• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXI in 2017

wol93

Banned
ff14 blows

FFXIV is nothing like this game.

XIV doesn't quite scratch the same itch FFXI did/does.

It's still in development. It was listed as a game in their pipeline at the Nexon investor relations presentation a couple of months ago.

Honestly FF14 made me go back to 11 and appreciate 11 more.

Nobody here loves FF14 lol ?
Stupid question: is ff11 still subscription based? Maybe I could give it a try

Yeah, it is still subscription based, $12.95/mo. There's a 14 day free trial though, and if you buy the game, it comes with a 30 day trial.

Free trial: https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/442968/final-fantasy-xi-free-trial-pc-download

Game on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/230330/FINAL_FANTASY_XI_Ultimate_Collection_Seekers_Edition/

Game on SE store: https://store.na.square-enix.com/pr...timate-collection-seekers-edition-pc-download

I've made my disdain of 14 pretty known...I carried an extra grudge towards ARR though because I actually liked a lot of what they were building towards with 1.18, despite the inherently broken clients and terrible server infrastructure.

ARR though is everything I hate in modern MMOs. Simon says boss fights with nonsensical mechanics. Funneling everyone to the same exact spot for gear rewards. invalidating progression every 6 months. strict triangle based job system. hot bar flow chart combat.

for your actual XI question, answered above so ignore me.

ApharmdX

Banned
...god dammit... I'm going to resub again tonight... It always only lasts a week but it's a good week. Wish my old server was still around.

Come to Asura. I went from Fairy to Sylph, when they merged, and transferred to Asura a month ago. There are actual pickup groups on Asura, the economy is MUCH healthier, and there's always something to do. Just ignore the trolls in /yell ;)

There is still people playing this game in 2017 and with FF14 out from many years ?

I have played XIV off and on. Came back before SB launch, played for a couple of months, then quit not too long after the expansion came out. For me, it just doesn't satisfy like Final Fantasy XI does. Not that it's a bad game, I think that FFXIV and WoW are the two best MMOs out there, but XI is still more satisfying. Getting stuff does is more lasting and provides more satisfaction.

Plus pet jobs are not well-implemented in XIV, where XI has the best implementation and variety of pet jobs of any MMO that I have played. So there's that.

If FFXIV blows, how does it compare to unplayable trash like FFXI? Can't even download the thing, it's a fucking nightmare rofl.

The install/patch/account creation process on Final Fantasy XI is admittedly very bad.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
If you use windower, there's a UI scaling option that should help. I'm not sure when they adjusted the movement speed, but I think I read somewhere it's a 25% boost to the base movement speed.

I remember that speed boost. Seemed even faster now though. Maybe there was a tablet boost up or something.

Thanks. I'll try fiddling with the UI scaling settings. Still no idea why there's no sound though. Booted it up again today and now the sound works. Guess something just booted wrong last time.

Edit: Apparently the sound just breaks when I plug in my controller. I think I had this problem before, but never like this. The only way I can have sound is to launch Windower without the controller plugged in. The instant I plug it in it cuts off permanently, and if I already have it plugged in (which is what I had to do before I think) it just doesn't have sound to begin with.

Edit: lol. My PC was picking up the controller as a headset for some reason. I just had to change my PC audio to use the speakers after plugging it in. Set the UI size to 3X in Windower and it looks pretty great now. The game runs a bit choppier now that I'm in 4K instead of 720p though.

Bandini

I'd go back to XI right now if I had 4-5 friends who would play with me.

Might just go back anyway and solo farm stuff

I'm really tempted to give this a shot. Would anyone be interested in forming a small group to play this together? I probably won't be able to play more than once or twice a week because of school and work and so on, but I'm really interested in trying to get through as much of the game's content as possible (I hear the stories are pretty great). I'm a complete newbie although I have played the first few hours a couple of times throughout the years.

Don’t wanna get too sidetracked here, but I loved FFXI, and I love FFXIV. They are wildly different games, however, so you can’t really compare them. From my perspective FFXIV is the best WOW-clone available, a WOW clone with good stories building lots of Final Fantasy lore into one comprehensive game world, while still telling its own story and not being just fan service.

I loved FFXI’s old-school sensibilities, particularly the fact that wandering the “overworld” was scary, and you had to do a good job Metal Gear Soliding to get from town to town without a party. And even with a party it was easy to wipe even just grinding level-appropriate creatures in the wilderness. The game really enforced playing with other people and learning your job, and it had a slow progression with limited methods of fast-travel that made you really learn the land, and it made your home city really feel like home. But do you know how unpopular a modern MMO like FFXIV would be without early-unlocked fast-travel?

Joe T.

I liked it enough to stick with it for a few months (some of it anyway, I loathe Duty Finder), but that might have more to do with the fact that I was playing with a few friends from FFXI. Generally speaking, games today are too easy, an unfortunate side effect in the drive to reach an increasing number of players, the distinction between FFXI and FFXIV being a perfect example. I liked the much more unforgiving days, where your mistakes cost you dearly and your accomplishments were extremely satisfying.

Toth

If you loved dynamis back in the day, the big rumors swirling around based on recent .dat mining is that four new dynamis zones are coming next update.

Brigandier

If you loved dynamis back in the day, the big rumors swirling around based on recent .dat mining is that four new dynamis zones are coming next update.

Citys and jeuno supposedly. Would prefer different zones that don't currently exist as dynamis zones....

Taruranto

I've made my disdain of 14 pretty known...I carried an extra grudge towards ARR though because I actually liked a lot of what they were building towards with 1.18, despite the inherently broken clients and terrible server infrastructure.

ARR though is everything I hate in modern MMOs. Simon says boss fights with nonsensical mechanics. Funneling everyone to the same exact spot for gear rewards. invalidating progression every 6 months. strict triangle based job system. hot bar flow chart combat. .

for your actual XI question, answered above so ignore me.

Pretty much this, honestly the whole end-game structure is so incredibly dull to me that I'm not sure how people can play the game for over a year. Well, the leveling process isn't much better either. The game has the same depth of a gatcha

I also dislike how the game tends to fall back on nostalgia and references, FF has always been referential of course so I'm not opposed to it, but people dressed like Tidus and Yuna fighting FFVI's Exdeath? At that point your game doesn't have an identity anymore and you are just being lazy. When I played WoFF I felt like I was in Eorzea again.

AzureFlame

My biggest gaming regret is that i skipped this game and never got to play it durning its golden age, i know it's a special game that will never be repeated.

Saw this thread on the front page and got a big hit of nostalgia from doing the Kamlanaut fight in RoZ as a BST/WHM combo, being absolutely useless to the fight. My only role was calling out what element he was using in the chat, so that our mages knew what elements to hit him with.

A huge rush when me and my friends beat that fight.

Taruranto

Go private server then.

Private servers don't really replicate the golden era experience, there was more to FFXI than slow leveling speed and movement.

It was the massive amount of players and linkshells that made the experience. Pretty much nothing can replicate that.

FFXI absolutely had something back then that I don't think there's a way to recapture. I've definitely got great memories... but I don't pretend like every memory was a good one.

There's no way in hell I could justify the time I blew on that kind of stuff in the present.

Tenrius

I've also started playing it earlier this year. I only really got to Jeuno for the first time and unsubscribed. I've been thinking to get back into it! Really like the story/general feel and the Crystalline expansion was dope. Didn't really appreciate the fact that most quests were RNG-based, essentially.

Pretty much this, honestly the whole end-game structure is so incredibly dull to me that I'm not sure how people can play the game for over a year. Well, the leveling process isn't much better either.

I also dislike how the game tends to fall back on nostalgia and references, FF has always been referential of course so I'm not opposed to it, but people dressed like Tidus and Yuna fighting FFVI's Exdeath? At that point your game doesn't have an identity anymore and you are just being lazy. When I played WoFF I felt like I was in Eorzea again.
I saw what you snuck into my quote, lolol. However FEH has far better character ability depth than ffxiv arr. Its pretty sad
Private servers don't really replicate the golden era experience, there was more to FFXI than slow leveling speed and movement.

It was the massive amount of players and linkshells that made the experience. Pretty much nothing can replicate that.
yep. The amount of people working towards the same goal whenever new content released. With a few antagonists to boot. The FFXI community will never be matched because games arent willing to be like it anymore. I used to reminisce about the amount of times I've helped or been helped by a random stranger for no other reason other than passing by and needing it.

Like when someone trained 15 orcs to the gate at davoi and you save them on their way out. As they enter back in you ask them what they are there for and offer a hand.

FFXIs pace made moments like these fine. You didnt need to always be looking out for number 1 because the goals and benefits you needed would always be there, since your efforts weren't invalidated every 6 months on schedule.

Nottle

As someone who just started a review series on Final Fantasy, I feel guilty that I probably won’t cover xi.
I played some xiv and like it but I was just never hooked and there were things that made the experience awful. I’m unsure if xi had what I wanted to or not since I know very little about that game.
I never liked how in 14 you could end up playing the class incorrectly if you didn’t bring some skills over from other jobs. My favourite mechanic in the series is the job systems from v, tactics and x-2. I know xi and xiv have job systems but on a team I constantly need to be doing my one task to play correctly. Go online figure out the best combo for dragoon and hope that the tank tanks and the healer heals.
I guess what I want is something a little more slow paced and tactical and not something people have run hundreds of times making the encounter feel lifeless.

Ploid 3.0

As someone who just started a review series on Final Fantasy, I feel guilty that I probably won’t cover xi.
I played some xiv and like it but I was just never hooked and there were things that made the experience awful. I’m unsure if xi had what I wanted to or not since I know very little about that game.
I never liked how in 14 you could end up playing the class incorrectly if you didn’t bring some skills over from other jobs. My favourite mechanic in the series is the job systems from v, tactics and x-2. I know xi and xiv have job systems but on a team I constantly need to be doing my one task to play correctly. Go online figure out the best combo for dragoon and hope that the tank tanks and the healer heals.
I guess what I want is something a little more slow paced and tactical and not something people have run hundreds of times making the encounter feel lifeless.

FFXI is so different from FFXIV. I dislike the direction they took with the classes and sub classes, the way you play as well (felt like simon says where you constantly have to hit buttons in a rotation, it gets annoying).

FFXI was slower, more tactical for sure. I really want the HD Solo/Coop Remaster SE, PLEASE!

Toth

FFXI is so different from FFXIV. I dislike the direction they took with the classes and sub classes, the way you play as well (felt like simon says where you constantly have to hit buttons in a rotation, it gets annoying).

FFXI was slower, more tactical for sure. I really want the HD Solo/Coop Remaster SE, PLEASE!

You can solo the whole game pretty much thanks to Trusts. A Duty Finder/ Party Finer ala FFXIV and HD graphics would rock though!

Ploid 3.0

You can solo the whole game pretty much thanks to Trusts. A Duty Finder/ Party Finer ala FFXIV and HD graphics would rock though!

Yeah trusts, I watched streams use them. They have the groundwork there and it seems to work very well. My only issue with resubbing for it is they could take the game down at anytime (10 more years!), and I really like the idea of picking up and playing whenever I feel like with no pressure to play it even if I haven't for almost a month yet still paid.

Maybe next year I'll try to recover my character and go from there. I never bothered to try SE customer service after failed attempts to enter my loggin and my newest password (after they made us change to add numbers to the end). If I get my old character I'll be more interested in continuing with sub even though I hear leveling is a breeze now (money, items, most importantly saved abyssea stones!!!! Well unless it's free to enter abyssea and limbus now, oh boy [kid in candy store.jpg]).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
FFXI absolutely had something back then that I don't think there's a way to recapture. I've definitely got great memories... but I don't pretend like every memory was a good one.

There's no way in hell I could justify the time I blew on that kind of stuff in the present.

Well put, its harsh and unforgiving (and frequently unfair) nature was part of what made it so compelling back in the day, but I honestly doubt people these days would stay the course.

Times and expectations have changed, and a life-devouring beast like classic FFXI is a real relic of the past.

Modern game is still great, even if for those of us who've been playing for over a decade are really running short on things to do these days due to the greatly slowed trickle of new content.

On the upside finished my 15th Aeonic weapon today, downside is really struggling to motivate myself to do the final one partly because its for jobs I rarely use, but mainly because I'm loathe to close the book on that whole chapter of endgame content.

Well put, its harsh and unforgiving (and frequently unfair) nature was part of what made it so compelling back in the day, but I honestly doubt people these days would stay the course.

Times and expectations have changed, and a life-devouring beast like classic FFXI is a real relic of the past.

Modern game is still great, even if for those of us who've been playing for over a decade are really running short on things to do these days due to the greatly slowed trickle of new content.

On the upside finished my 15th Aeonic weapon today, downside is really struggling to motivate myself to do the final one partly because its for jobs I rarely use, but mainly because I'm loathe to close the book on that whole chapter of endgame content.

You can never run out of things to do in FFXI. Just /sit in the zones. That's enough.

ZetaEpyon

Maybe next year I'll try to recover my character and go from there. I never bothered to try SE customer service after failed attempts to enter my loggin and my newest password (after they made us change to add numbers to the end). If I get my old character I'll be more interested in continuing with sub even though I hear leveling is a breeze now (money, items, most importantly saved abyssea stones!!!! Well unless it's free to enter abyssea and limbus now, oh boy [kid in candy store.jpg]).

As long as you have sufficient information about your account, you should have no problem getting your character back. I'd suggest starting with their online chat support and going from there.

I also wouldn't worry about Abyssea traverser stones really, you won't spend much time at all in there in modern FFXI. Mostly just to go in and get Empyrean armor so that you can reforge it, or if you're building an Empyrean weapon. Voidwatch stones are another matter, as that can be massively profitable during voidwatch events.

You are a madman - most of our LS was burning out hard after our 5th round or so. Our 5th round took us only 4 event nights in 8 realtime days though, so that pace was a bit much. We've started them up again though, going about it on a much more relaxed schedule than before.

Here's hoping that whatever new content they drop in November (iLvl Dynamis?) has some life to it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You are a madman - most of our LS was burning out hard after our 5th round or so. Our 5th round took us only 4 event nights in 8 realtime days though, so that pace was a bit much. We've started them up again though, going about it on a much more relaxed schedule than before.

We've been doing Aeonic rounds for a long time, but on a fairly relaxed schedule with only a single proper weekly event so its never been too brutal. To be honest farming beads was always the worst part because its so time consuming compared to the actual fights.

Main thing is we do almost everything as a full alliance, which is always slower than low-manning stuff due to all the organizational hassle but it made it more social, which is nice. The only exceptions are things like Schah and Albumen, which just dont scale nicely so we always did split runs on those. Not much diff really, just meant new toy every 3-4 weeks not 2-3.

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, we're only doing a single night a week on them now, so it's considerably better in that regard. We definitely went too hard on it, and it caused not only burnout but general frustration because getting 50k beads on top of events in the span of 10 days is pretty rough, and several people ended up "missing" rounds as a result.

Loona

As someone who just started a review series on Final Fantasy, I feel guilty that I probably won't cover xi.
I played some xiv and like it but I was just never hooked and there were things that made the experience awful. I'm unsure if xi had what I wanted to or not since I know very little about that game.
I never liked how in 14 you could end up playing the class incorrectly if you didn't bring some skills over from other jobs. My favourite mechanic in the series is the job systems from v, tactics and x-2. I know xi and xiv have job systems but on a team I constantly need to be doing my one task to play correctly. Go online figure out the best combo for dragoon and hope that the tank tanks and the healer heals.

XI nowadays can pretty much be experienced as a single-player game - the Trust system, which lets you use NPCs as party members, allow all sorts of roles to be covered, letting you play in whatever way you prefer. Depending on how much story you'd like to experience yourself, you could cover a lot of ground in a month or less with a focused approach (like not trying to level every job to cap).

What aspects of FF are you focusing your reviews on?
XI is a pretty massive way in many ways, from story to mechanics and sheer geography and amount of relevant characters, even disregarding the online factor, and even SE themselves seem to have a problem getting a grip on what to present about it and how (it's disturbing how often they stick to the opening animation and Shantotto, considering how little bearing they have on most things), but if you have specific elements maybe we can help point you in useful directions.

Just a note, for those complaining about FFXIV’s class/job system, as of Stormblood they’ve basically removed the annoying bits. You no longer need to level classes unrelated to your job to get necessary abilities, there are just some shared abilities based on job roles that you automatically get, to choose from instead. And the new jobs don’t even have starting classes.

Taruranto

Leveling classes was never an issue or a major problem I had with the game, leveling a job to 32 to get swiftcast took what, an afternoon in FFXIV?

The whole system just lacks of any kind of depth for me and it just involves pressing the same rotation over and over. In FFXI a BLM and a BRD played significantly differently, in FFXIV they are both ranger DPS with a different rotation and one uses TP instead of MP.

Gears in FFXI also added another layer of complexity to the battle system and with the way stats worked, you had stuff like MNK stacking MND to Chi Blast end-game bosses. NIN dual welding is purely cosmetic in FFXIV as opposed to FFXI in which they actually wield two different weapons.

FFXI is an RPG through and through with a bunch of systems and sub-systems stacked on the top of each other, which allowed people to do stupid but funny shit like melee WHM because WHM actually could get a bunch of "physical skills" if they skilled their weapon or BLM/RDM sleeping/killing/kiting hard mobs entirely alone.

In FFXI a BLM and a BRD played significantly differently, in FFXIV they are both ranger DPS with a different rotation and one uses TP instead of MP.
In FFXIV BLM is based around pure damage and AOE attacks, constantly managing mana, with the downside being not able to move during just about all attacks. BRD is based all around setting up and managing DOTs and buffs, single-target attacks, and has the ability to run around while attacking. They play significantly different, and if you played a BRD as a BLM with TP instead of MP, you would be a horrible player.

Of course, you chose bad examples, since BRD in FFXI wasn’t a DPS at all; BRD in FFXI was a support class, not DPS. A better comparison would have been FFXI Black Mage and FFXI Archer, since really that’s what you are talking about in FFXIV, as the BRD DPS skills are mainly archer-based.

Source: In FFXI I played a BLM/SMN and our static party had at various times a BRD and Archer, and in FFXIV I play a BLM in a static party with a BRD (you chose the wrong classes to use as examples :p )

Taruranto

In FFXIV BLM is based around pure damage and AOE attacks, constantly managing mana, with the downside being not able to move during just about all attacks. BRD is based all around setting up and managing DOTs and buffs, single-target attacks, and has the ability to run around while attacking. They play significantly different, and if you played a BRD as a BLM with TP instead of MP, you would be a horrible player.

I'm not seeing it, there is no "mana management" in FFXIV (Except some rare situations like T4) You just do your rotation that gets your MP back automatically, there is no /rest mechanic and such. TP basically got turned into MP, you no longer build TP, you have a stack of TP to use, that's why I said TP are essentially MP for melee jobs.

AOE power and dots (Both have them, anyway) are largely irrelevant when fights are about repeating your rotation and playing the Simon-says game and every class needs to be viable ever. You press 1-2-3 and stack INT gears with one job and press 3-2-1 and stack DEX gears with another one. Elements don't matter, enemies don't have resistances, CC don't matter. The game is designed so you can hop in and play any boss with any class so they to be homogenized as possible.

If you want to compare BLM and RNG in FFXI, they were both damage dealers, but their mechanics were different and they operated under different rules. RNG had to take care of accuracy and distance but their damage was physical, which lead to them being able to SC and everything. BLM worked with magic damage calculation and they could use the most common mage's tools (They could heal, sleep, gravity mobs, etc) and they could MB but never SC.

In FFXIV I never once felt like I was a mage because there was little difference between me and the other DPS playing the rotation game.

jiggle

Ffxi`s communities were just so much better than xiv`s
Even the elitist LSes get to be nice on their day offs

Xiv was so vile

Dangerously close to pulling the trigger..
I would probably just solo

What is a fun job ATM? I like magic but willing to try melee types.

ZetaEpyon

You can play anything you like to solo yourself through the story missions - the main 'flavor of the month' stuff for any jobs generally is going to apply mostly to endgame content.

I will note that the Trust system (the npcs that you summon to fight with you) does work somewhat more nicely with melee jobs, since you need to physically engage the enemy for them to do anything. In a party with all actual PCs, you normally wouldn't do this on a mage job. That said, don't let that stop you if you really want to play a mage, it's not *that* big an issue.

You can play anything you like to solo yourself through the story missions - the main 'flavor of the month' stuff for any jobs generally is going to apply mostly to endgame content.

I will note that the Trust system (the npcs that you summon to fight with you) does work somewhat more nicely with melee jobs, since you need to physically engage the enemy for them to do anything. In a party with all actual PCs, you normally wouldn't do this on a mage job. That said, don't let that stop you if you really want to play a mage, it's not *that* big an issue.

Thanks.

ApharmdX

Banned

I think the dual-wielders are most accessible for new players. Once you hit 99 and start getting attack speed buffs plus lots of multi-attack, they "feel" very potent solo with Trusts. The heavy DD jobs (warrior, dark knight, samurai, dragoon) shine more in situations where your party is giving lots of buffs.

So stuff like thief, ninja, dancer, or, if you want both magic AND melee, red mage. Lots of people would recommend blue mage for its self-buffing and versatility but, for a new player, there is a ton of work that goes into learning spells. I found the process pretty terrible personally.

Lots of people would recommend blue mage for its self-buffing and versatility but, for a new player, there is a ton of work that goes into learning spells. I found the process pretty terrible personally.
I didn't find Blue Mage to be any more grating than the general gameplay loop of RNG + grinding, to be honest. The only part that sucked was unlocking it in the first place, because I had to invest 50 something levels into Beastmaster before I could even reach Aht Urghan.

Taruranto

Eh, getting BLU's spells is significantly harder than getting, say, most BLM's spells, in some cases you even need to complete storylines and such.

Other than that, for your fist job you can be anything you want. If you like mages RDM, BLM, SCH or even GEO are pretty good jobs to run through the story. I wouldn't worry about end-game too much for now.

I hate how talking about FFXI makes me want to go back. :> Good thing I deleted my luas folder lol.

ApharmdX

Banned
The only job harder to start than BLU is summoner (or perhaps puppetmaster, since there are a ton of attachments). Although with regards to SMN I think they increased the amount of fame that you gain from certain quests? I made a fresh dual-box character back in September, and, for example, I think it only took ~40 zinc ores to unlock the Utsusemi quest. It used to take over 100.

Taruranto

You can basically get max fame in like 10 minutes, yeah. Just warp a couple of times and trade the items and you are done.

The hardest part is probably reaching the protocrystals at this point, since you can ask any 99 to kill the avatars for you. SMN was the job I picked when I started again in 2014(?) and the hardest part was the quest to unlock it lol. Then again, I knew what I was doing, I suppose. Titan and Leviathan's crystals are a bit of a pain if you don't know the game world very well.

I think the dual-wielders are most accessible for new players. Once you hit 99 and start getting attack speed buffs plus lots of multi-attack, they "feel" very potent solo with Trusts. The heavy DD jobs (warrior, dark knight, samurai, dragoon) shine more in situations where your party is giving lots of buffs.

So stuff like thief, ninja, dancer, or, if you want both magic AND melee, red mage. Lots of people would recommend blue mage for its self-buffing and versatility but, for a new player, there is a ton of work that goes into learning spells. I found the process pretty terrible personally.

Yeah I was a blue mage in the past and acquiring the spells was painful at times. Thanks for the input, I do remember liking dancer also, I would like to go for puppetmaster possibly but getting all the parts was so annoying even a few years ago. choices..

Yeah I was a blue mage in the past and acquiring the spells was painful at times. Thanks for the input, I do remember liking dancer also, I would like to go for puppetmaster possibly but getting all the parts was so annoying even a few years ago. choices..

I recommend thief. Treasure hunter will help with drops, so even if you don't intend to main THF, it'll help you with getting gil and gear for other jobs.

frequency

I recently (sometime earlier this year) started a new character to play with a friend through the story. I was a career WHM so wanted something different for this character. I chose MNK. I basically just auto-attacked my way through the entire thing. Nice and lazy.

My friend, who was a DNC, had a lot of trouble with the final boss of RoV. But I basically just auto-attacked my way through it.

saher

Banned
It's that time of the year were i feel nostalgic for the game, i guess its time to resub. Last year i finished SoA and stopped playing, i still need to finish WoTG and RoV.

Top Bottom