• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 Reveal on May 5th

Fuck EA for not giving us next gen hockey this season.

Fuck 2K Sports for giving up on hockey.

I actually agree with the (supposed) reason EA skipped next gen on 14 - that they'd be pushing out a product with less features than the previous gen version. If they've taken the extra year to make sure it's feature complete, that's all good to me.

maneil99

For the love of god, please bring hockey back to PC :/

Also, not a fan of Avalanche, but seeing MacKinnon on the cover would be sweet.
Friend of mine works at the vancouver ea studio here and I asked him way back why they stopped. Apperently they sold less then 10k per year.

Mackinnon for cover

pls

He's too fast for the cameras.

What this cover needs is Landeskog.
remm6zuv6.gif

Datsyuk for the cover, please.

All I'm hoping for this year is new commentators, vastly improved GM mode, impressive visuals, and no lag. Is that too much? Probably.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
For the love of god, please bring hockey back to PC :/

Also, not a fan of Avalanche, but seeing MacKinnon on the cover would be sweet.
I want my PC with the fast loading back :(. Maybe they can release it on Origin onl...nah...

I say Drew Doughty!

Fuck the Kings still...

nikos

Really looking forward to seeing this. The last NHL game that blew me away was 2k on the Dreamcast. Hope this generation has a significant jump over the last.

I actually agree with the (supposed) reason EA skipped next gen on 14 - that they'd be pushing out a product with less features than the previous gen version. If they've taken the extra year to make sure it's feature complete, that's all good to me.

I'm fine with it if they actually did something with that extra time. The game needs an overhaul. Badly.

I think the "if" in both of these posts will leave you disappointed.

I think the "if" in both of these posts will leave you disappointed.

I think the same. Last generation switch the current gen game was handed off to EA Montreal while Vancouver worked on next gen for a couple of years, didn't they? Did anything similar happen this time?

Marvie_3

Banned
I think the same. Last generation switch the current gen game was handed off to EA Montreal while Vancouver worked on next gen for a couple of years, didn't they? Did anything similar happen this time?

I just wish they'd get a new producer for the series so I wouldn't have to listen to Sean Ramjagsingh talk about how he did in his local hockey league in every interview.

Jachaos

It better be good this time. Fix the bugs, fix the AI so if my players can't get the puck going around the boards, neither can they when I slap it in. Fix the penalties. How can I break an opponent's stick by lifting it. It's physically impossible.

Don't add even more ads all over the place. Don't remove tons of features to slowly add them back in over the generation. Actually improve the game. Add some mini-games back. Anyway, make a better game. Since they lack competition, they're not that great anymore.

r3n4ud

Friend of mine works at the vancouver ea studio here and I asked him way back why they stopped. Apperently they sold less then 10k per year.
Makes sense they would drop pc. But man, that was years ago. Pc is a different platform now as its rise in popularity has boomed. Surely they can give it a chance.

Mdot

Think I might give this a go this year. What can we expect from this year's version? Full blown next-gen or one of the in-between years where the current gen is still the basis?

Phinor

I really hope EA recognize the demand that's out there for a PC version.

How would you implement skillstick with keyboard controls? Releasing gamepad only version on PC would cause a lot of people to complain very loudly, and troll the game discussion/forums all over the Internet.

I mean I would love a PC version that was carbon copy of the console versions. Would save me the hassle of starting my console, long loading times and I could use downsampling etc. but I just don't see EA releasing a PC version ever again.

BrhysH

I really hope EA put some love into the NHL series for next gen. I don't wanna see a stripped down version of 14 with better graphics.

I really hope EA recognize the demand that's out there for a PC version.

They do, and I'm sorry buts probably why they don't release it. If there's money to be made they will do it. They put very little effort into the console version. For the PC version it would likely be even less. Sadly hockey just doesn't have the draw of other sports. Maybe Ignite will help them jump to PC along with PS4 and Xbox One, who knows?

I really hope EA put some love into the NHL series for next gen. I don't wanna see a stripped down version of 14 with better graphics.

I would almost prefer this. It would show they're actually doing something instead of just barely iterating on the same garbage as the year before.

Edit: sorry for the double post

Maximus.

It's third hand information from a famous EASHL player (PS3) who was invited to the Virgin Gaming Finals in Las Vegas for NHL 13 (where he made contacts and was mostly right about features for 14), but I really don't want to risk waking bish or another mod by spreading info I have no control of and get banned, sorry.

Then why even mention you have possible insider information?

On topic, I can't wait for this game, but it was sad how slowly NHL games progressed after they finally reached "critical acclaim". Hoping this game brings a proper amount of progress to the table.

Antti

I need to see more, but it SEEMS promising. The AI, stat allocation/explanation and glitch goals will determine if they really did try. And yes, I'm probably getting this for the PS4 and PS3... considering not everyone will have a PS4 for my club :/.

EDIT: Extra info.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/n...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Some interesting bits:
When you go into a glide, you now have full control of both upper and lower body with the right stick, which means you can steer your guy while deking.
The stick still is also being renovated for increased fidelity. "You could hold the stick out and deke at very specific points but you couldn't deke anywhere between that," Ramjagsingh says. "If you wanted to go left-right-lift with the stick you were going to the extremes, which in reality when you watch real hockey you don't see guys deke like that. We've added more fidelity to the control. The first part of it is now you can go into a glide and with your right stick hold it out to protect the puck. You skate down the right wing going full speed, go into a glide, hold out the right stick, and then start to cut in. If the guy takes that lane you can actually cut back and use the right stick while turning for the first time. We never had deking while turning in the game. We have deking while gliding in the game as well, so it allows you to see where the pressure is coming from. Having two guys come for you and maneuvering through situations or pressure like you've never been able to just because of the more fidelity in the controls."
The devs are also overhauling the puck physics from the ground up. To help, they hired a former scientist who worked on the Hadron Collider in Geneva, where they fire particles together at mach speed and create black holes. "He came over and joined us about 10 months ago and he's working on our puck physics, rebuilding it from the ground up," Ramjagsingh says. "What we're seeing now is bounces in the game that we've never seen before. It's all real-world physics running in our game. We're seeing shots squeaking through the goalie with our new dynamic cloth technology. We're seeing goals squeak through the goalie between the inside of his arm and his chest. We're seeing new saves that have been in the game but we've never seen before because the puck was never in the position for him to do a desperation reach back."
It's funny that they need a guy who has worked on the Large Hadron Collider to realize there's something wrong with the puck going over the end boards after a bounce on a dump.

AlexIIDX

Ive been waiting years for a new commentary team. I'm so hyped now. The whole NBC sports presentation will be awesome. Can't wait to see if there is really a big visual difference in the game. I feel like, for the most part it has looked identical for the past 4 or 5 years....and I wonder if authentic arenas also means authentic arena names.

edit: just read the game informer article, looks like they are trying to get all real arena names in. No more New York Arena!

So, has there been some kind of reveal today? The teaser is old, right?

Let's get this shit started already.

Edit: Nevermind. It looks like the reveal was earlier today. But I'm a Sabres fan, so I'm allowed to be disoriented and grumpy.

I just want a decent tutorial built into the game. The controls have gotten too complex for my simple mind.

Left stick controls player, right stick controls stick.

Left stick move to move the player.

Right stick move left/right to move stick to deke/protect puck
right stick forward to shoot quick shot
right stick back then forward for slap shot
When you dont have the puck right stick towards the player to check

Right trigger to pass or switch player.

Right bumper to poke check

Thats all you really need to know. There are a few other controls but if you want it simple there ya go. If you want it more complicated:

A button to stick lift
Left bumper plus left stick/right stick to do advanced dekes
Left trigger to force backwards skating
Y button to slash or fight
Click in right stick to hip check
X button to hold someone on the boards
D Pad to change strategies on the fly

None of the advanced controls are needed in the game to make it playable and most players, especially at the level you are playing at wouldn't use them or would use them badly. So dont worry about it, its quite easy to just pick up, play and enjoy at your level

Top Bottom