• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journalists attack Stellar Blade again by using Hades 2 characters

Varteras

Gold Member
Eve wears a skintight combat outfit that can change appearance and has functionality: "There is no reason she is dressed like that"!

Aphrodite is literally naked, with her hair barely covering her vagina and nipples: "It's part of her personality"!

These fucking morons don't know what they believe.

Last edited:
iu

Shuko

Neo Member
Thank you for posting picture of ridiculous headline so I don't have to give these people a click. (y)

Soodanim

I enjoyed Hades 1, but all of this seems like media trying way too hard to convince me of something and it makes me more interested in Stellar Blade instead. Before this whole thing SB was just another game name I saw and ignored, and I'm not into the whole being attracted to polygons thing but it put the game on my radar. Maybe it's because the media is making SB the underdog.

Crayon

I like that people are talking about this subject... But it should stay an academic matter. Going on to say games should be made differently or people shouldn't buy them is where it gets stupid.

Video games are an enormous sector of media now. I think it's only right that they draw all manner of naval gazing and scrutiny . But yeah... Be real and don't think your essay is worth a shit beyond unusual explorations. Oh I guess that's another thing. It's only interesting if it's unusual. Having a ton of people saying this is not. If you're going to dig real deep into things, come up with a fresh angle.

laynelane

I'm not going to read anything written by Mercante - life's too short to deal with that level of idiocy - but I do hope all this clickbait outrage helps sell more copies of Stellar Blade.

W11d

So basically if Eve had the same body but was black or trans they would applaud. Only minorities allowed to be hot.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Don’t worry when new game with sexy design comes out, those same journalists going praise Eve design but shit on new one.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Erm, surely they'd have hated on Stellar Blade even harder if they had shown the character's main costume to be something like the gal on the left there? Wut?

Aenima

But Bayonetta is not LGBT+. It was critiqued back then as being just a sex doll for white males.
Their reasoning for appropriating Bayonneta doesn't make sense.
Dosent need to be LGBT, as long its appealing to that comunity, its ok to droll over it. What's problematic is when straigh men droll over it. Its Hypocrisy 101.

Last edited:

Danjin44

But Bayonetta is not LGBT+. It was critiqued back then as being just a sex doll for white males.
Their reasoning for appropriating Bayonneta doesn't make sense.
They got triggered over Bayonetta 3 because in their head canon she suppose to gay with Jeanne even tho in actual game they call each Umbra sisters.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They're saying roughly that in one game you can dress the character up and point the camera anywhere you want and everything happens on the player's terms. While in the other you can imagine the character has some agency over what is being shown, that the player doesn't get to dictate the terms. I don't see a problem tbh.

The way you say it, that's neutral. But that's not the way the author wrote it. They are laying judgment on one over the other and it's pretty clear.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Remember, Asians are "White Adjacent" now. Basically, Western leftists have lumped both races into a category of racist supremacists. The success of Asians in Western culture is antithetical to their narrative that Western culture is designed only for White men to thrive. The only way for them to continue that narrative is to combine them into one category. So, you're likely going to see an increase in these kind of complaints. Which is hilarious, considering the vast majority of game studios are found in countries that are predominantly, if not entirely, White and Asian populations. Who also happen to be their biggest consumers.

Nah. Not many people are doing the bolded actually.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The way you say it, that's neutral. But that's not the way the author wrote it. They are laying judgment on one over the other and it's pretty clear.

Eh, I think it's ok to have a preference. They're talking about sexuality and things they think are nicer.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
You are trying too hard to live up to your nickname. These parasites have been pushing the same agendas for over 10 years, they dont fool anyone anymore.
I'm just not really bothered about trying to lash out at someone who wrote a few hundred words about sexuality in video games. Journalism is about presenting a point of view, you don't have to agree or disagree, but in these divided times, it'd be nice if more people could consider that its not malicious to say what you think about a subject. It's just a point of view.

Aenima

I'm just not really bothered about trying to lash out at someone who wrote a few hundred words about sexuality in video games. Journalism is about presenting a point of view, you don't have to agree or disagree, but in these divided times, it'd be nice if more people could consider that its not malicious to say what you think about a subject. It's just a point of view.
It is 100% malicious. Thers a reason in Kotaku article Alyssa say "Take that cancel pigs". If you followed the gamergate 2 novela where Alyssa was balls deep being racist against white ppl while defending Sweet Baby Inc and all the racist shit they said on X, you knew why she wrote this article about Hades 2 characters being hot and Eve being bad.

And if you dont know i explain it to you. EVE from Stellar Blade is being used as a good example of feminine beauty and character design by gamers against DEI that are tired to see western devs uglyfying female characters, Alyssa Mercante, the writter of the kotaku article is a big defender of DEI. Hades 2 has DEI characters. So she came up with this article that this is the kinda HOT characters ppl should droll about but not EVE.

And plz, stop calling, these blog posters, journalists, they are not journalists, dont have a degree in journalism, and they are not reporting news, they are posting personal opinions, and pushing personal agendas.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Probably best to leave this type of outage bait ignored and unshared. They can all be hot and they can all be divisive to someone out there, and the conversation isn't very interesting to begin with. Let creators create the games they want. If there is a market for it great, if not the market will reject it.

ungalo

It's not just the woke thing. Are they really jerking off because Hephaistos is fat ? Because of one random art portrait ??? Have they even played video games before ? What is even diverse about the 3 portraits we see about Hadès 2 characters ? It doesn't make ANY sense.

I already thought Hades launch was kind of weird, the level of praise for the smallest most ridiculous things was through the roof and it's just happening again.

WoJ

I didn't realize diversity was one of the things that angered people about Stellar Blade's main character. What a stupid article to write.

It was a mistake to give these freak shows a voice on the internet.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

Journalism is about presenting a point of view, you don't have to agree or disagree, but in these divided times, it'd be nice if more people could consider that its not malicious to say what you think about a subject. It's just a point of view.
I don't really agree with this. In an ideal world, I would. But this isn't just "this one writer's point of view." It's the shared, approved version of The Message (tm) that essentially every single gaming website is pushing, while they punish and ostracize anyone brave enough to deviate. The scenario you're describing, where every major website and author is free to share their own opinion, is the world these people are actively fighting against.

Perrott

Gold Member
What the fuck does that even mean?
I get what they mean in a sense.

Bayonetta is well aware of her attractiveness and makes sure to show it off herself throughout the entire game, even during gameplay. Not the case for Stellar Blade's Eve, who from a personality standpoint is just bland and doesn't own her sexiness the way Bayonetta (or to give an opposite sex example, Dante) do, which results in her feeling like nothing more than a pretty doll.

I'm sure someone's already made this point but characters like Eve are so incredibly rare nowadays, her existence contributes to diversity in gaming 🤷‍♂️

Also, she's Asian so what's their point anyway. She has more clothes than one of the chicks in the photo too.

Danjin44

I get what they mean in a sense.

Bayonetta is well aware of her attractiveness and makes sure to show it off herself throughout the entire game, even during gameplay. Not the case for Stellar Blade's Eve, who from a personality standpoint is just bland and doesn't own her sexiness the way Bayonetta (or to give an opposite sex example, Dante) do, which results in her feeling like nothing more than a pretty doll.
In context of the story she is not supposed to be playful like Bayonetta or Dante. Both 2B and Eve have artificial bodies what exactly would be the point trying be flirty like Bayonetta?

Perrott

Gold Member
In context of the story she is not supposed to be playful like Bayonetta or Dante. Both 2B and Eve have artificial bodies what exactly would be the point trying be flirty like Bayonetta?
Sure, there's some friction there between the writing and art preventing Eve from having the over-the-top personality of Bayonetta, but even then I remember 2B, a fellow military android, showing off more of its sexiness throughout combat and cutscenes, showing a sort of a sexy-cold personality, even if that was all programmed into her.

My point is that literal killing machines can have a sense of identity to them besides just their sexy looks, and the Beauty and the Beasts from MGS4 come to mind.

Top Bottom