• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 3: Getting The Knack Of These Games

wapplew

I was pretty bummed about Asia PSN didn't get Disk Jam this month, then they add 3 extra free games, Stories, Invisible inc and Disgaea 5.
Asia PSN stay winning.

Ted

Wow. This War of Mine is great, brutal but great.

The controls are occasionally a bit of an annoyance but it barely mars the experience. The way it presents the human side of conflict to make this an entirely convincing war time survival sim is fantastic.

It's not the deepest survival game of all time mechanically but what is there works well and though you're basically managing pretty basic tasks to an ever ticking clock, in the context of the setting and the often heart rending compromises you have to make it just works.

Love it. Awesome job 11bit.

Ludens

Banned
Im playing Tearaway and it's very good in my opinion, but the big issue for me it's just too long. It drags and drags and drags..."this is the end of the story", one hour later "This is the true end of the story", two hours later "Ehy, this is really the end of the story".

Man, it's just too long and it repeats some "puzzles" again and again.

Kilvin

Quick question, I know if I let my PS plus subscription expire I lose access to the past Plus games I've obtained, but is it permanent?

Basically, if I resubscribe again in the future will I be able to access the titles again or are they lost to me forever?

Alpende

Quick question, I know if I let my PS plus subscription expire I lose access to the past Plus games I've obtained, but is it permanent?

Basically, if I resubscribe again in the future will I be able to access the titles again or are they lost to me forever?

If you resubscribe you can access earlier titles again. You do not lose them forever.

Ted

Im playing Tearaway and it's very good in my opinion, but the big issue for me it's just too long. It drags and drags and drags..."this is the end of the story", one hour later "This is the true end of the story", two hours later "Ehy, this is really the end of the story".

Man, it's just too long and it repeats some "puzzles" again and again.

How long do you think it is overall?

I fancy a reasonably simple platformer (?) but don't want to invest a ton of time into one.

Just_one

Today is the day!!!

Drawn to Death already announced so what will be the others games?

Bring on your bets

PS4-
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
Knack (always there!!)

Can i secretly hope for Ni Nu Kuni for PS3 ?

xrnzaaas

Tomb Raider DE is always a likely candidate. I wouldn't count on any Sony published games because their "Only on PlayStation" sale lasts until the 6th of April.

WITHE1982

Today is the day!!!

Drawn to Death already announced so what will be the others games?

Bring on your bets

PS4-
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
Knack (always there!!)

Can i secretly hope for Ni Nu Kuni for PS3 ?

Ni NU Kuni is such a great game. Unfortunately I bought it when it was £3.59 on PS+ a while ago so, despite being happy for everyone else, I'd prefer something else.

My guess for PS4 games alongside Drawn To Death (and Knack) would be a recent indie such as Virginia, The vanishing of Ethan Carter or maybe A Boy and His Blob.

Also crossing my fingers that this will be the first month to feature a free PSVR game.

ffvorax

Also crossing my fingers that this will be the first month to feature a free PSVR game.

I think it's too early for that... if they will ever even do it, considering it would be playable only for people with VR... so they should choose a game with both VR and not, or add it on the total of the month free game...

Ni NU Kuni is such a great game. Unfortunately I bought it when it was £3.59 on PS+ a while ago so, despite being happy for everyone else, I'd prefer something else.

My guess for PS4 games alongside Drawn To Death (and Knack) would be a recent indie such as Virginia, The vanishing of Ethan Carter or maybe A Boy and His Blob.

Hypervoid had a VR mode. Not a VR specific game but probably the kind that we'll get for now.

WITHE1982

I think it's too early for that... if they will ever even do it, considering it would be playable only for people with VR... so they should choose a game with both VR and not, or add it on the total of the month free game...

Yeah I agree, one with both standard and VR support makes sense though. Volume springs to mind with the free Coda update.

Hypervoid had a VR mode. Not a VR specific game but probably the kind that we'll get for now.

Exactly. More like that would be nice although at this stage it's pretty slim pickings.

xrnzaaas

Welp nothing for me this month. I'd play Alien Rage if it was on PS4, because I know it's a half decent "dumb" shooter.

Don't write off 10 Second Ninja X based on how it looks like a crappy iPhone game. It's actually an amazing platformer which is about a million times more puzzley than you expect and those three-star ranks are fun as hell to work out and execute.

xrnzaaas

In other news I've bought Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition because I didn't have a PS4 yet when it was in PS+. Super awesome game. I loved Housemarque's Resogun and I reckon I'll have tons of fun with this one as well. And once I'm done I'll still have Alienation on my list (maybe it'll hit PS+ by then ;)).

xrnzaaas

If you have active PS+ membership you can't buy the standard version afaik, only the full version of the PS+ edition which is currenty on sale. And they're both the same, because the full PS+ edition has the same content as the standard edition. Both versions grant you access to all tracks, modes etc. You can pay extra for a season pass, for post season pass car packs and for DC Bikes (expansion or standalone).

Loci

Getting my PS4 tomorrow. (hype)
Is PS+ generally considered as mandatory?
Can I even play online multiplayer without it?
Can I collect trophies without it?
If I get PS+ now can I access all the previously released free games or is everything only playable for 1 month?

Getting my PS4 tomorrow. (hype)
Is PS+ generally considered as mandatory?
Can I even play online multiplayer without it?
Can I collect trophies without it?
If I get PS+ now can I access all the previously released free games or is everything only playable for 1 month?

1: Yes, because...
2: You need it for MP. However, free to play games, as well as games that have separate paid subscriptions, sometimes don't (it used to be that none of those did, but I think it's now up to the publishers).
3: Think so, but not sure. Definitely not ones tied to multiplayer, though. So, maybe not.
4: Forever. In fact, go ahead and "claim" every game, even if you don't intend to play them. As long as you "claim" them, they're in your purchase history and is yours to download and play as long as you have PS+. If you stop PS+, you can't access the games until you resubscribe, in which case, you can access them all again. To "claim" a PS+ game, all you need to do is purchase it when it is available as a PS+ game. You do not need to actually download it for it to be yours.

Couple more notes: If you get a PS+ game on one PlayStation platform and it eventually releases on another PlayStation platform as cross-buy on a later date, that game is now officially yours without needing PS+
it's a nice little loophole that's apparently known by Sony
. It's rare, but it happens.

Also (and hopefully this changes), if you "claim" a game via PS+ (unless the above happens), it's always tied to your PS+ account. You can not purchase it, I believe, even if you drop PS+. Say I drop PS+, but want Rocket League. I can't purchase it, as it's already "purchased" by me, yet is tied to my PS+ account. So it can't be "repurchased" and to play it would require a PS+ resubscription.

xrnzaaas

Of course you can unlock trophies without PS+. You only won't be able to obtain the ones from multiplayer modes requiring PS+ membership.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
As a counter-point I'd say that I've only had a month of PS+ since I got my PS4 for Christmas (due to a sale where it was something like 89p) and I can't say I've missed having it. None of the games offered in the last few months have really made me want to start subscribing, and I don't play online multiplayer so I haven't needed it for that. I've been perfectly happy with my PS4 so far without the subscription, so maybe see how you feel for a while and jump on when some games are on offer you feel are worth subscribing for.

Donos

Other pro for PS+ is 10 GB online save storage. If your HDD/SSD breaks, you still have the saves of the recent games.

EmiPrime

Given the discounts on games with XBL Gold and PS+ you only need to make a few purchases a year to break even especially if you only buy 1 year subs when they're discounted. These subs are a no brainer for the savvy, cheap arse gamer.

Loci

Alrighty, thanks for the clarification.
I just used the 14day trial for now. But damn those free games and discounts are great.
I was planning on getting Bloodborne for sure anyway and now I see it's on a 48% discount until 06/04 for 23,24€. Probably have to get it before the discount ends. Can't find any cheaper offers online.
I would prefer physical copies of it, tho. 32GB seems quite large.
But I got the 1TB PS4 version anyway.

How frequent are these sales? Just discovered The Last of Us for 15€ as well. My wallet was not ready for that many purchases on day 1.

xrnzaaas

I would prefer physical copies of it, tho. 32GB seems quite large.
But I got the 1TB PS4 version anyway.

If you have a decent enough connection your best course of action imo is to wait for digital sales. I prefer retail games, but on PS4 I rarely buy physical copies, because the stores in my country almost never have awesome deals.

How frequent are these sales? Just discovered The Last of Us for 15€ as well. My wallet was not ready for that many purchases on day 1.

Depends on where you live. EU PSN seems to be getting the largest number of huge and attractive sales (all big holidays, New Year's sale, Summer sale, plus special ones like the current one). The next sale will probably be the Easter one.

Ludens

Banned
Is there a point on playing the sp campaign for Earth Defense Force 2025? I tried the first mission and there's no cutscene or story, you just kill ants and the mission is done, is the whole sp like that?

ty_hot

everytime they have this Ducati game for around 3-4 dollars in the BR PSN. I always want to buy because... well, 3 dollars... but then I look for refiews and I see the same few ones that say that the game isnt worth it, its just the Ride game with more tracks and only Ducati bicycles. I didnt get Ride 1 because I thought it wasnt that great (but it seemed definetely good enough) and given the history of discounts for racing games in the BR PSN, I expect Ride 2 to come cheap (10 dollars) pretty soon! So I always end up passing it. Until the next time its on sale again, and I do everything that I said again.

Now there is also the Loeb Rally game for a decent price (18 trumps), but Dirt Rally was already in the humble bundle as a gift game so it should be cheap soon on the PSN as well... I wish I had more driving games, its a genre I really enjoy and I only have Driveclub (finished it) and NFS Rivals (impulse bought it, if I had waited a few more weeks I would have gotten the next NFS that is a lot better for the same preice..., I played it for around 2 hours only). edit; I also have Project Cars which is great but its too repetitive, I cant play the same fucking tracks with the same karts again. I do like when I play with other cars though... but I need a wheel to enjoy it fully.

Ludens

Banned
Do you think there's a chance to see Yakuza 0 on Plus?
I mean, Yakuza 4 and 5 were already on Plus, with 5 releasing on the service just a couple of months after the official release. Now 0 is already 40% off.

xrnzaaas

Yakuza 5 was a special case imo. A game for the previous gen console only and a 2012 title to receive a worldwide release after three years (!) only because the fans begged SEGA to do it (the game didn't even get a retail release).

If SEGA wants to give the series a serious shot starting with Y0 on the PS4 they won't treat it like scrap and give it away after only a few months (they have a good shot here, because 0 received very good reviews, ended up being more popular outside of Japan than SEGA predicted and got sold out in many stores).

Top Bottom