• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Kong: Skull Island any good?

Machina

Banned
I saw a bit of footage of it on Youtube and it seems like a good popcorn action flick but obviously not much of an Oscar winner. The reason I ask is I've found as I've gotten older, my patience for movies has waned a fair amount. Even if a movie is not particularly bad but just average, I'll turn it off mid way. I'm a huge fan of monster flicks as well so I figured it would be my cup of tea

TDLink

I'd say it's better than average but not amazing. Some good writing. John C Reilly is the best character.

Lynd7

Pretty fun movie.

Although too many helicopters for the ship they arrive on lol (Someone at work brought that up haha)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's entertaining, but a little empty overall.

John C Reilly is indeed the best part and has the only character worth caring about.

Agreed with everything you said.

It's definitely worth a watch if you've got a few hours to burn, you won't be disappointed.

daffy

Banned
I thought it was pretty good. Just a bit better than Godzilla but far more entertaining and well paced throughout

Thought it was boring as hell aside from the ~20 minutes Kong was on screen

The post-credits scene was by far the best part

Slaythe

I thought it was really poor. And I was really just expecting a pop corn flick.

But for the record I also was greatly disappointed by Jurassic Park so I guess my standards might be too high for those movies.

eizarus

Banned
Boring imo. Kong was the only good thing. The final enemy and fight were meh. And while Kong's CGI was really good, there were a handful of scenes where the lighting and green screen background didn't match at all.

5/10

Somehow made Samuel l. Jackson the worst character.

efcoiws7vgzgdcspoyag.gif

sirap

It's a decent movie, a touch above King Kong but I felt like it was missing a lot of the magic from Peter Jackson's world.

Razorback

This is one of those movies where I can't begin to understand why some people like it.

It's absolute garbage.

Garbage writing, garbage characters, garbage visuals, garbage action scenes, garbage editing.

Just terrible.

I liked it, the visuals are really nice, story is good and Kong is amazing to see on the big screen. Can't wait for kong vs godzilla

Subitai

Reminder, since this Kong is 100 ft tall he is to big to fight a 45 ft long t-rex. So, they made up something else sufficiently vicious for him to beat down.

Laplasakos

I slept in the middle of the movie, then woke up for a minute during some green smokes and slept again right after. Maybe i was just tired but last time i was sleeping during a movie was when i was 10 years old. Anyway, the first half was super boring and the first 20 minutes or so were fast paced a thing that ruins any movie for me.

BashNasty

I (an American) saw it in Tokyo with Japanese subtitles over the English dialogue, so that was pretty different and interesting.

Beyond that though, I thought the movie was really disjointed and somewhat disappointing, despite having some decent action beats.

It's worth seeing, but it ain't great.

It's solid but definitely a bit of a missed opportunity. None of the characters demonstrate any real growth, which leaves the movie feeling a little empty. But you can certainly do worse for this kind of film, and I basically enjoyed it.

(Colossal is the far better 2017 monster film.)

zugzug

it was boring and actor not even on public credits(my mistake he is on credits) stole film.

beautiful yes, but does it matter if script is terrible with such plastic and obvious character sterotypes.

Lakuza

It's a decent popcorn movie imo. Completely different vibe to peter jackons kong (focusing more on battles) and goes into the action pretty quick with little filler (or even character development time).
There were some bits in the movie that became too comic booky for what the human characters were doing and some plot lines are resolved pretty fast in the most "convenient/coincedental" way.

The visuals are pretty incredible. Great monsters and design. Top notch special effects.

The story is complete garbage, as are the characters' roles in that story. The characters themselves can be entertaining, but they simply don't make any real impact. John C. Reilly is the one exception. The editing is all over the place as well. Sometimes amazing, sometimes you just have these jarring transitions where we're supposed to feel one emotion followed by a cut to another spot that is supposed to evoke something entirely different. It feels disjointed and contrived at times. But hell, the point of the movie is to watch a massive gorilla fuck some shit up. It does alright on that front.

It's stupid but fun.

Apt101

It's a solid, straight forward action film I guess. I can't remember what my first reaction to it was, but looking back on it now I'd recommend it.

I wasn't expecting much since I hated Peter Jackson's King King and am not a fan of hiant monster films in general, but I really, really enjoyed it.

I thought the start was a bit clunky (particularly John Goodman setting up the mission) but It's well acted, beautifully directed, visually stunning and mostly good.

Only problem for me was the girl show seemed to be in the film to get finance (this has been a thing for decades) and Tom Hiddleston's character never really seems to be in any jeopardy. It also seems to end rather abruptly. I give it a solid B+ and would watch again.

And John C Reilly is just brilliant in this.

cyba89

Eh. Was not a huge fan. I liked the last Godzilla movie and Jacksons King Kong more.

It's watchable for some mindless monster action but nothing more.

Top Bottom