• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Kong: Skull Island any good?

It's pretty bad. Uninteresting, wasted characters. The creature designs are okay but the environments are lacking a distinct style. The cinematography also felt really flat and uninteresting.

I know many enjoyed it but I was not one of them.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Maybe it's the Cubs fan in me but I loved Reily's arc. Like legit teared up at the ending.
Actually yeah I did care for his character, he is the type of character that does the big sacrifice to save everybody because his story is "complete" so I was worried for him throughout the movie

Fox Mulder

I know what you mean, but the first twenty minutes sets a really bad precedent. It's almost insulting. I'll give it another shot one day, but it'll take a while. Maybe it's just because I want them to make a serious monster movie for a change.

They did make a serious monster movie with Godzilla in 2014. Kong is probably a reaction to the criticism of that film. Different tone, more colors, full daylight action scenes, comedy, etc.

I know what you mean, but the first twenty minutes sets a really bad precedent. It's almost insulting. I'll give it another shot one day, but it'll take a while. Maybe it's just because I want them to make a serious monster movie for a change.
Just check out Godzilla 2014. Its not drastically better than Kong but its more serious and way more cohesive and competent. The dialogue is ridiculously schlocky half the time and most of the characters suck, so don't expect a lot outside of a good first act and some amazing set pieces.

TimFL

Skull Island is fucking terrible. It really is. Despite the money poured into it, and the the quality of the cinematography and the visual effects, there is almost nothing in it that fucking works in the slightest.

It's like someone hit Zack Snyder in the head with a large object, spun him in a circle 5 times, put a camera in his hand, and yelled in his year to go run at the imaginary monkey..

The most disappointing thing about Kong isn't that all those actors are completely wasted (Shea Whigham is the only one to register as a real character) it's that Vogt-Roberts seems to get off on taking most setups and swerving them into nothing. There are so many instances where the film builds to a payoff, and then completely fucks up that payoff. Maybe he thought he was being clever (?), I don't know. Maybe he was just dizzy from the rock to the head and the constant spinning and falling down that happened right before the AD called "action!"

But there is nothing satisfying about anything in the movie. Even Whigham's character, the flattest (and therefore most consistent) arc, manages to take a hard left turn into uselessness at the last second.

It's so inept that it can't stop itself from fucking up it's stupid post-credits scene. It can't even catch its own case of superhero herpes correctly.

If Skull Island was a person, it'd be an excitable bucktooth idiot with a cowlick and a full load of recycled meat in his drawers, excitedly trying to share the details of last night's football game and forgetting where he is every 3 minutes.

I hope Godzilla whips his fucking ass.

This a thousand times. Recently got around to watching it and it has nothing on the Jackson Kong movie.

Nice take on the big ape but the rest is just plain stupid and boring as heck. Sucks that they wasted Kongs first appearance on such a weak movie. But hey, got to promote that Kaiju Cinematic Universe. Still not interested in that Godzilla v Kong movie they have planned.

Sillverrr

Passable as a horror movie. Some of the creatures genuinely creeped me out (insect/log monster, treetop spider), and the underground lizard things could have come straight from the Bleach manga/anime. Their origin story is bascially a poor man's Journey to the Center of the Earth, but at least you aren't left scratching your head as to where these giant monsters came from.

As an action movie, the film is average. Most of the time it's a guns blazing approach, and character development is sadly lacking to make you care about the grunts - they are basically fodder. Only John C. Reilly has a satisfying arc, and even then his character is cliched to hell. Kong did not invoke much sympathy from me. I guess you are supposed to respect his relative 'humanity', but ultimately I only stayed for the entertaining fights against the over-sized fauna.

All-in-all, forgettable.

Jobbs

Banned
I watched it the other night on a whim.

I was shocked by how bad it was. I never expected anything this disastrously bad given its 76% RT score. I did something I almost never do and I didn't even finish it. I made it about 90 minutes before thinking anything else would be a better use of my time.

Everything about the editing, writing, casting, and acting just feels wrong. Everything feels wrong. It doesn't feel like a real movie.

The only positive is that some of the visuals and some of the shots are genuinely interesting and pretty. Some cool creature designs, too. Those are the only positives.

FelipeMGM

I'd say its a fun monster movie. Pretty shots, nice CG and cool monster fights

Plot-wise is pretty dull.

Oh, and it has a fair amount of videogame nods too

Top Bottom