• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Kong: Skull Island any good?

Not every movie needs subtext or social commentary, and there are plenty of movies that are fondly remembered that are just that. And honestly, Kong is the movie I wanted Godzilla '14 to be.

It's fine if a movie doesn't attempt to have a strong message, there's nothing wrong with that nor with wanting to watch that. It's a valid approach to film making, even if it's not my favorite. Star Wars is a good movie, and it doesn't really attempt something deeper that it could have done, and that's fine. It's a fun movie at the surface level, and it's ideas/concepts alone appeals to millions. I'm not trying to make your opinion have a lesser value than mine, and I apologize if I come off like that.

I definetly did not say that, nor suggest such a thing.

I know you didn't say it, as the crux of my post was that that's how the post comes off as. I also think it was worth directly addressing that sentiment as some people do believe the whole "this [insert genre or series] can't be serious, so good job for not making that a goal." Whether or not you meant that (and I know you didn't) I wanted to throw it out there.

It's not a King Kong movie in the sense of the other ones. It's a kaiju movie starring King Kong. I thought it was a pretty good kaiju movie, but I haven't seen a whole lot of those.

Which kaiju movie does it feel like? I don't think it has any similarities to any movie besides plenty of action and a semi serious-semi lighthearted tone, which fits the bill for tons of genres and sub-genres. They've certainly got the scale of it but I think Kong is it's own kind of unique kaiju flick

Also, is work still being done on a Godzilla/Kaiju OT?

Cuburt

The movie was really dumb, but it was fun. Probably the only "popcorn flick" I've seen in a while where I went in with low expectations and went in knowing the only thing I hope to be entertained by is the action and didn't leave disappointed.

The action is entertaining. The cinematography (and VFX for that matter) is surprisingly good for a film that otherwise can feel a bit like a B-movie. Kong looks great too, and it actually makes me moderately excited for a Kong vs Godzilla movie just because it seems to understand what people want from a monster movie with modern effects.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
OP. Ignore all the negatives in this thread. It's a surprisingly good movie.

rekameohs

Banned
The Jackson Kong still holds up well, but this one was very forgettable. I definitely liked Godzilla 2014 more.

I liked the giant spider scene, I guess.

Osahi

Saw it on the plane recently, and I liked it. It's a cool and well paced monster movie that doesn't aspire more then offering fun en succeeds. I'll have forgotten this by the time i fly home though

Honestly, while I have watched this movie since the cinema (even thought it is on my Vudu wishlist), I very much enjoyed the movie on the big screen, and I'm not exactly the world's biggest Kong, Godzilla, or monster fan in the world, either. I mean, don't get get me wrong. I enjoy me some monsters as much as the next guy, but I'm not exactly the VP of the fan club of either franchise. I just want to be entertained, and honestly, from what I remember Skull Island delivers that in spades.

It was mostly a good, fun watch. Only a few of things that took me out of it.

1) The shitty "video game" shots. Few times, the camera goes into this first person perspective looking down a gun barrel, like a FPS game. There's also a bit where a character starts killing monsters with a sword and it looks like an action game cutscene. Director said in an interview that video games were an influence on his directing style. It's as dumb as it sounds.

2) A seemingly infinite number of nameless, faceless background characters that exist only to be killed off so that the movie can have a high body count, but the main cast can make it through almost all situations unscathed. These are basically extras that are in the movie for 5-10 seconds just to get killed.

3) When main characters do die, nobody reacts. They just move on without a word of acknowledgement. Why care about these characters when the other characters don't even care about them?

Go in expecting a popcorn monster flick and you should have a good time. I never really understand these people that see this films and complain about thin characters and plot. Thats not really the purpose of these films.

I have seen critics complain about the human characters in this film who loved Pacific Rim. I love both but the characters and plot are even dumber in Pacific Rim lol.

bosseye

It's rubbish, in every way mentioned already, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the hell out of it. It dumb, brash, cliche nonsense, filled with terrible characters and stupid dialogue, but that's all fairly expected, it looks great, people get munched regularly and it was just a huge amount of fun to watch.

Characters were mostly awful save for Reilly and Sam L being well... Sam L. Definitely worth watching for the action though. Don't regret watching it at all, and I'll probably watch it again later this year.

The film suffers from an identity crisis. And skull crawlers are a pretty underwhelming foe. I would say the first half is pretty good. Overall it's just very average.

I really enjoyed the movie. It has a lot of flaws but is generally enjoyable. Perhaps it flew over people's heads or perhaps I'm just a sucker for any sort of allegory in a monster movie no matter how obvious, but I really enjoyed the whole mission to Skull Island as an allegory for the Vietnam war. I thought Jackson's character's frustration that he'd lost so many men only for the war to end, and seeing the death of Kong as the only way to get closure was a great motivation for a B movie villain and was executed more subtly than I expected.
When the group turn on him at the end he instinctedly starts aiming his gun at the war photographer despite her being unarmed because he blames her for making his men's sacrifices mean nothing.

The movie was pretty bad. Terrible writing. Boring cliche characters.

Kong himself was pretty awesome.

I rate Godzilla as a better movie, but it suffered from a lot of the same issues. Fails to make me give a damn or want to spend any time with the human characters, while not giving me enough of the god damn Title character.

Still looking forward to the inevitable Godzilla vs King Kong movie.

P.s
Jon C Riely was actually awesome.

darwinfeeshy

Neo Member
It was fine. Nothing to write home about, but it was an entertaining B movie.

I don't have the urge to watch it again, though.

My favorite part was the meta DOUBLE reference of John C. Reilly's jacket.

iO5MHo1.png

It referenced both Akira:

qqgQCyH.png

and Dr. Steve Brule.

Bruleforyourhealth.jpg

I watched this a bit ago on VUDU and the that HDR Dolby Vision is no joke. The effects and colors were better than the movie itself but that being said, the movie is very entertaining. That sweet Kaiju action was great. Definitely recommend

cbrun44

Watched this on a long flight today. Simply boring. Such a wasted cast. Even the minor supporting actors are great talents who do nothing but end up as monster food. What a dissapointment

C4Lukins

Fun but not great.

Kong is simply a giant ape, that occasionally does not kill the humans around him.

It is really just a big monster battle film. The more compelling aspects of the King Kong story are ignored. It is closer to a Godzilla film.

Better than Pacific Rim and Godzilla tbh.

The fights and general where fluid and felt more realistic. A lot of thought seems to have gone into them. Reilly was the best character in the film followed by Samuel Jackson.

I really like all the famous people they used, even if they where undeveloped, I don't care.

gamz

Watched it a second time with my Wife last night and we both really enjoyed it. I liked it even better the second time around. It's a fun flick.

J_Viper

Got my UHD copy arriving on Monday (UK). Only picked up a 4K tv last week after owning an XB1 S since launch, so this'll be my first proper taste of 4K HDR

Yeah, it'll be my first 4K disc too. I figure Kong would be the best place to start considering how wild the effects are

Th best thing about it is that has the next Bond in it.
Hiddleston is maybe charismatic enough to play Q

He'd be a laughable Bond

This is one of those movies where I can't begin to understand why some people like it.

It's absolute garbage.

Garbage writing, garbage characters, garbage visuals, garbage action scenes, garbage editing.

Just terrible.

Pretty much this.

Apart from some of the action scenes and the special effects, everything else is more or less abysmal. The characters in particular are just awful.

eXistor

Really liked it myself, a very slick and fun B-movie. The dialogues suck, but it doesn't really matter when the characters are fun (if incredibly one-dimensional) and the action is cool. I definitely recommend it, but don't go in expecting anything resembling depth.

I went with my dad with no expectations or very low ones, and we both came out of it having really enjoyed it. Its a good time, and John C. Reilly is really great in it.

xrnzaaas

It's one of the movies where you won't miss much if you just fast forward to Kong fight scenes (you also might want to slow down on some of the intentionally and non-intentionally hilarious scenes if you're into that in monster movies - in my case all Platoon inspired shots made me laugh out loud).

I tried watching this yesterday, because of this thread, and wow. I had to stop after twenty minutes, because in the first twenty minutes there were three or four scenes where some well known 60s-70s music played (that you know by heart by now, nothing really original) while some "cool shots" were shown of helicopters flying in slow motion or buff army dudes high fiving. Yeah, let's high five because people are fucking paying to go to theaters to see this piece of shit. And of course the helicopters are a nod to Apocalypse Now. Congratulations, Mr. Jordan-Vogt Roberts, you’ve seen the movie and you want everyone to know that. Well, I’m not impressed. It’s blasphemy.

Actually, the intro scene almost made me turn it off. It looked like something a Youtuber would make if he had some budget to spend. What were they thinking?

Can someone explain this to me? This is actually something that bothers me. I love watching movies and I love it when some new monster movies are announced. And I’m disappointed every time. The fact that this movie has a 76% rating on Rottentomatoes and is certified “fresh” disturbs me. There are so many ways to make a great monster movie, and every time they completely miss the ball. The most recent example I can think of is the Godzilla movie, which had so much potential at the start of the movie, and in the end it just fell completely flat. It was so bad that I vowed to never watch it again. It doesn't come close to the horribleness that is this movie though.

This Jordan-Vogt Roberts takes himself WAY too seriously, and he got $185.000.000 to make this piece of shit. This is making the Metal Gear Solid movie too? God help us all.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I tried watching this yesterday, because of this thread, and wow. I had to stop after twenty minutes, because in the first twenty minutes there were three or four scenes where some well known 60s-70s music played (that you know by heart by now, nothing really original) while some "cool shots" were shown of helicopters flying in slow motion or buff army dudes high fiving. Yeah, let's high five because people are fucking paying to go to theaters to see this piece of shit. And of course the helicopters are a nod to Apocalypse Now. Congratulations, Mr. Jordan-Vogt Roberts, you’ve seen the movie and you want everyone to know that. Well, I’m not impressed. It’s blasphemy.

Actually, the intro scene almost made me turn it off. It looked like something a Youtuber would make if he had some budget to spend. What were they thinking?

Can someone explain this to me? This is actually something that bothers me. I love watching movies and I love it when some new monster movies are announced. And I’m disappointed every time. The fact that this movie has a 76% rating on Rottentomatoes and is certified “fresh” disturbs me. There are so many ways to make a great monster movie, and every time they completely miss the ball. The most recent example I can think of is the Godzilla movie, which had so much potential at the start of the movie, and in the end it just fell completely flat. It was so bad that I vowed to never watch it again. It doesn't come close to the horribleness that is this movie though.

This Jordan-Vogt Roberts takes himself WAY too seriously, and he got $185.000.000 to make this piece of shit. This is making the Metal Gear Solid movie too? God help us all.

You didn't watch it after 20 minutes. Not sure why you think you can make such sweeping statements based on so little. But okay?

Anyway, loved the movie, was not expecting the tone or direction based on past Kong crap. Will watch sequel.

Sure, I can explain it. You only watched 20 minutes of the movie. Next time watch a movie from start to finish and you won't need someone else to explain it to you.

gamz

You would be taken more seriously if you actually watched the movie. You obviously have a weird agenda going on.

You didn't watch it after 20 minutes. Not sure why you think you can make such sweeping statements based on so little. But okay?

Anyway, loved the movie, was not expecting the tone or direction based on past Kong crap. Will watch sequel.

Sure, I can explain it. You only watched 20 minutes of the movie. Next time watch a movie from start to finish and you won't need someone else to explain it to you.

I know what you mean, but the first twenty minutes sets a really bad precedent. It's almost insulting. I'll give it another shot one day, but it'll take a while. Maybe it's just because I want them to make a serious monster movie for a change.

I love this movie. I saw it in theaters and bought the 4k HDR version when it released and rewatched it.

It does a good job of building up the Monster-verse and the action was really cool. Brie Larson and the rest of the cast was great as always. The ending has me incredibly pumped for Godzilla: King of Monsters.

gamz

I know what you mean, but the first twenty minutes sets a really bad precedent. It's almost insulting. I'll give it another shot one day, but it'll take a while. Maybe it's just because I want them to make a serious monster movie for a change.

And that was Godzilla. If you really want a serious monster movie check out Edwards first film Monsters. I love it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'd say it's a good bad film.

It's pretty, kind of weird and all over the place. Fun action for the most part, but nothing inspiring. Characters aren't great, but nothing downright terrible. A few have some great moments though. There's more than a few missed opportunities or abrupt choices, but some of them are so sudden and unexpected it kind of works.

It's a big dumb action monster movie. It kind of acts like its serious at times like Godzilla, but then completely cuts itself off at the knees with tons of bizarre wacky shit and super stereotype characters that you know it's all a joke. I've wasted many hours on far far worse movies and I can't say I wouldn't waste a few more watching this again.

I'd say this is about right, its a monster movie, you didnt watch for the characters.

shingi70

Banned

If anything you sound like the one who takes himself way more seriously than you should.

It's a fucking movie.

FTF

It's entertaining, but a little empty overall.

John C Reilly is indeed the best part and has the only character worth caring about.

This is exactly how I felt. Reilly was literally the only character I liked/cared about. Some cool sfx though. Overall very meh though.

Top Bottom