• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Precursor Games- Shadow of the Eternals Crowdsourcing + Kickstarter [canceled]

SparkTR

So they made their own crowd-founding page to avoid fees to kickstarter or indiegogo? Is this the first company to do this? and if so Why the limit time? If you set your own crowd-founding you don't have to worry about time?

Star Citizen also did this (along with a Kickstarter later on as an option) and it's currently the highest backed game ever at 9 million dollars.

I'm down.

Question though, since this is my first time crowdfunding. If they don't reach their goal by the set date, do I get my $$ back? I'm totally down to throw money at this project, but if it never gets off the ground I'll be a bit disappointed to just be out cash.

Pooya

even if it's funded, it's very hard to be confident that it will be made, the CEO is former lead programmer of Silicon Knights, it's no secret how good SK was at programming for their games. It's good that they have some demo at least, still this is the shakiest crowd funding yet.

Nibel

Look

The game looks much better than what I expected when I clicked the link; and it's still just WiP

But we know how shady "the man" behind all of this is, right?

Shiggy

Payments made to Precursor Games, Inc. to back this project are strictly donations and are not consideration for any service or product. Donations will be used by Precursor Games, Inc. for various aspects of the development and production of Shadow of the Eternals (the “Game”) at their sole discretion. Precursor Games will accept donations immediately upon receipt; there is no minimum aggregate goal for funding. A donation cannot be cancelled or returned once it has been completed, whether or not Precursor Games completes the Game or fulfils the specified reward.

3. No Obligation. Precursor Games will use its commercially reasonable efforts to develop and produce the Game, and will apply all donations to the development and production of the Game and the other rewards. However, circumstances outside of Precursor Games’ control may make it impossible for Precursor Games to complete production of the Game or other rewards. Precursor Games is under no obligation to complete the Game, or in the event completion is impossible, return any of the donations it has received.

http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/campaign/terms-of-use/

Slime

Banned
So how much is Dyack going to melt down if critics don't like the pilot episode?

YOU DON'T HAVE A CHANCE! WAIT UNTIL ALL THE EPISODES ARE OUT BEFORE YOU JUDGE IT!

I'm really excited to see how this looks in the end, I hope Nintendo picks this up after the funding is collected, they won't have to offer much to Precursor and they can get an exclusive, best to even make it a full retail game.

This way there's minimal risk if they already have the funding.

Jawmuncher

1.5 million.....for the pilot episode.
I'm not sure I want to back something that might end up never even getting finished story wise. Didnt they learn with Too Human.

That terms of service isn't reassuring either.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Taking a risk. I want Eternal Darkness 2. Hopefully there turns out to be nothing fishy about this.

Twelve episodes feels like a lot. Interested in seeing how this turns out.

DYACK!!!!!

Siren: Blood Curse was 12 episodes.

at 11150 with only 131 donators.

That gives an average of about $85/donator.

something's fishy.

Not fishy, this is actually typical for crowd-funding campaigns. Keep in mind some outliers to push the whole number up.

RPGCrazied

That would be sad, if they get all the $$$ they need, and never finish the game. And since that is in their terms of use, they don't have to give a cent back?

Goldmund

This might all just be a laboriously elaborate scheme to make a point about the negative implications of crowd funding.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"Fools and their money" the saying to be defined by anyone throwing money at this back-again-from-bankruptcy outfit.

Love the "no guarantee's and no refunds!" small-print too. Fucking hell. Sheisters.

ironcreed

Banned
That would be sad, if they get all the $$$ they need, and never finish the game. And since that is in their terms of use, they don't have to give a cent back?

I assure you, your funds are in good hands.

i8gd943aPrwST.jpg

Seriously, I am not going to be sending them a cent, but I do hope a great game materializes out of this. I don't care who is making it, I'll play it if it ends up being something I find appealing.

Effect

Just PC and Wii U? Come on, you can get it on PS3 and XBLA too. I don't know how to feel about it being episodic. Sure Walking Dead was awesome, but telltale missed the mark a few times.

Also, all depends on how much they are charging for one episode. And 1.5 mil? Good luck with that.

Wow. That didn't take long at all. *shakes head*. Can't let a Nintendo platform have something. I can just imagine the horror and outrage if someone dared ask for a Wii U version of a game. Oh wait I don't have to imagine.

mAcOdIn

I'm not against the assuming of risk, I don't mind the crowd sourcing thing, but, I think it's only fair that the reverse is also true. Why is it that the public gets treated like fucking cattle in these scenarios? Donations? Why can't they be investments? If they're to assume all the risk should there not also be a reward? Some kind of profit sharing?

Top Bottom