• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May I call to attention the brilliant character designs in the Mario Galaxy series?

ugly

latest

502px-The_Chimp_Artwork.png

Whittle_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_Galaxy_2.png

I've been playing through Galaxy 2 for the first time. It's very, very impressive. The vision in terms of aesthetics is incredibly strong and the execution is pretty much flawless. The designs feel so whimsical and fun, and yet the entire game is uniform in it's visual styling and representation. The colours pop, and the designs are expertly rendered into 3d.

And of course, the game features Mario, who I believe rivals Mickey Mouse in terms of iconic design. Very recognizable silhouette this fella has. Kind of crazy how much cute was squeezed into a moustachioed man - and dat nose! It seems unlikely that such a memorable character design was conceived in the fledgling video game industry. In the Galaxy games his proportions and dimensions are spot-on, too. These are rendered shots but you see how clear the vision was - and the game very much reflects all the official art.

Bowser is an enemy that also gels seamlessly into the art style. Mario actually bests Mickey in this field - Pete is no match for Bowser's fearsome design.

fhqwhgads

Nintendo can nail that simple and colourful yet charming character design so well and it is nice to see new enemy designs in every new 3D Mario to balance out the 2D Mario games having remade versions of the classic enemies. Kirby has some pretty great and memorable enemy design too.

Yeah, the Galaxy games are a true triumph of the 'Nintendo-y' art direction and design styles. Absolutely sumptuous visuals, and amazing world, character and puzzle design.

I'm still hoping for an HD remaster of both games, ideally in a trilogy with a third Super Rosalina Galaxy title.

Going back to SD resolutions this far into 8th gen is just horrible, and these games deserve to not have their lovely graphics marred by blurry, poor IQ.

Haunted

Galaxy is a masterclass in design.

Could immediately think of more great enemies from the games - the bone sharks underwater, that big robot boss with the drill (reminiscent of a certain YI boss), the stone boss. Great designs, both in terms of presentation and actual gameplay.

SaviourMK2

I've never actually sat down and played Mario Galaxy (I actually started it, then after about 2 hours my friend took it and just never gave it back).
Nor have I played Mario Galaxy 2, but I just love the work and love that went into Mario Galaxy's design and feel.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Going back to SD resolutions this far into 8th gen is just horrible, and these games deserve to not have their lovely graphics marred by blurry, poor IQ.

Yeah, that's what makes it kind of less enjoyable. I was playing the GBA Fire Emblem recently and the Wii U scales that tiny GBA screen up to 1080p. But since that's 2D and they don't do any interpolation that looked totally fine because the image remained sharp, just blocky. With 3D this doesn't work as well, not at all. It just ends up looking very muddy, muddier that the original on Wii.

Still thankful for those digital Wii rereleases I just wish there was a way to at least increase the internal rendering resolution.

ugly

Still thankful for those digital Wii rereleases I just wish there was a way to at least increase the internal rendering resolution.

I'm sure a Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 HD Remaster would have sold really well on Wii U, relatively. Could have been a physical release.

Mario Galaxy gave us Captain Toad and the Toad Brigade. That alone puts it in the top tier of games with great character design.

tumblr_nfirzeDvr11rxcsyvo1_1280.jpg

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I really need to replay the Galaxy games, but I'm afraid of they look on a 46" screen. WiiU's hdmi apparently helps a bit, but I'm guessing it won't be pretty.

Still gotta play this and SMG 2 at some point.

What do ya reckon, will I actually ever get round to experiencing it? Think my household is sans a Wii now as my sister may have sold hers.

MrBadger

You may, the NPC and boss design in the Galaxy games have always stood out as good to me. Even though the battles themselves aren't always Galaxy's strong point, it's exciting to get to a boss just to see what it looks like. I also love how the giant versions of existing enemies were redesigned.

200px-Kamella_SMG.png

200px-GigaLakitu.png

Kingfin,_Super_Mario_Galaxy.png

200px-MajorBurrows.png

I also think littering around NPC's that just say a line of dialogue when you interact with them makes a big difference in making the world feel fleshed out. It felt off to me in 3D Land/World when there would be a Toad or something standing there that you couldn't talk to

I've always loved most of the boss designs in SMG 1 and 2, yep even Squizzard.
The fuzzy backsided Armadillo might be my favourite of the lot, 2 seemed to have more visually unique bosses than 1 and it also has the little wooden dudes so it just about wins out.
Some of the freakier foes wouldn't look out of place in Jungle Beat.

Yup, and they are much better with 360 controller
Lol, yeah, I love using the right stick as a really inaccurate pointer that recentres itself...

These games were designed around the Wii Remote. Take it away and you lose half the fun. Galaxy is probably the best controlling platformer of all time.

I sadly have not started SMG 2 yet just because at that time I was in a transition period of moving as well as life changes. I put away all my consoles from the previous gen except my PS3, so I own it, just haven't gotten around to hooking the Wii up. My biggest thing holding me back I think is hooking up that sensor bar, I hate it and it's thin annoying cord.

Otherwise SMG 1 was just fantastic. Every level was a delight to play and it seemed like when you went back into the world's, there was always something new to find and explore!

It's EAD Tokyo and one of the many excellent things they are known for.

Even the designs of Mario 3D World are very memorable in their simplicity, from the Sprixies to guys like Brolder, etc...

It's topnotch expressive concise design.

Top Bottom