• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May I call to attention the brilliant character designs in the Mario Galaxy series?

I loved The Chimp, but I always appreciated the Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) Snifit homage with Megaleg:
bypg3H7.jpg

Ivxbd69.gif

wat?!

Messiek

Oh, I think it's time for me to play this again. I still remember launch day (leaked a few day earlier) and 100% it in less than a week. Mario Galaxy <3

MrBadger

I dunno man, she looks like Peach with a different hairstyle

To be fair, Luigi looks like Mario with a different moustache

And yeah I do like Rosalina's design but I agree that it's hardly the most original thing and far from the best design in Galaxy. The people above me just seemed to want more Rosalina ITT

Yeah I love the art style of the Galaxy games, it's so earthy yet still whimsical. All in all, I love it a lot more than say the art style of 3D World or Land, which are both just sorta bland and sterile, and actually shrunk all the main characters to be the same height which just looks terrible, whereas with the SMG series, the art style feels like a evolution of the Sunshine and 64 art style, just a bit more whimsical.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
If you have a decent PC. Dolphin is your answer. It's gorgeous.

I should really look into it, I have a powerful pc. But I'm lazy, I keep thinking there'll be lots of menu/options fiddling til everything works like it should.

Haunted

To be fair, Luigi looks like Mario with a different moustache
That hasn't been true for about 20 years now. The days of palette swapped sprites ended with Super Mario All-Stars.

Mario is short and chubby, Luigi is tall and lanky.

Griss

I like the OP, but come on man, where's Rosalina? The emotional heart of the first game and Nintendo finally getting a 'princess' character right after two abortive attempts with Peach and Daisy.

There's a reason Rosalina is everywhere now - her design was instantly appealing to everyone with a beating heart.

Still, though... Mario Galaxy. Is there ANY area in which it isn't a masterpiece?

MrBadger

That hasn't been true for about 20 years now. The days of palette swapped sprites ended with Super Mario All-Stars.

Well they're hardly Wario and Waluigi levels of different when it comes to their proportions. My point was more that Rosalina having a similar design to Peach isn't really exclusive to her and I think they're different in design and personality, at least as much as a lot of Mario characters that are similar to each other. Sorry for the slight thread derail.

Back on the Galaxy design topic, is it just me that thinks Bowser Jr's Megahammer looks a lot like a Fawful robot from BiS?

fawful_robot_by_trashjunk3000-d4esjf4.gif

hqdefault.jpg

I'm probably overthinking it but I always wondered if that slight resemblance was intentional considering the obvious resemblance between GobbleGut and the dragons from the Paper Mario series. I always thought that was a nice easter egg and I wouldn't be against more references from the RPG series making their way into mainline Mario games

hooktail.jpg

What does this even mean? It sounds lIke the Pokemon design defense which also doesn't hold water. You can have an abundance of a certain shape or form in design and still be consistent and good.

It means I hate how round everything is. I get that it's the theme of the design, but it looks gross to me.

Zubz

Banned
Well, they are not all winners...

Yeah... I still can't help but feel that thing was unfinished.

Other than that, though, Galaxy was beautiful! I know most of the different designs got reused elsewhere, but the NPCs/enemies all felt alien to one another, despite perfectly complementing each other at the same time.

ugly

My biggest thing holding me back I think is hooking up that sensor bar, I hate it and it's thin annoying cord.
That's a pretty funny dilemma

The difference between the two is so simple design-wise and yet makes for a very memorable pair each oozing with character. I love that in personifying them they didn't play to the fat guy-lean guy tropes that could have happened but instead went for the star in the limelight and his meeker partner. Funny :)

I like the OP, but come on man, where's Rosalina? The emotional heart of the first game and Nintendo finally getting a 'princess' character right after two abortive attempts with Peach and Daisy.
I've been playing Galaxy 2, so I actually forgot about her! Having said that, while I think she did add plenty to the atmosphere of the original game, I think her context and story played a decent role in that. She does look like an other-worldly princess, but personally I find her design to be just a teeny bit weaker than some of the standouts in the Galaxy series. I think the asymmetrical hair strikes me as a cheap way to convey mysteriousness or whatever. Though I'm not even sure if it's that - or the idea that aesthetic styling like that just seems a little out of sync with how the Galaxy games as a whole present themselves. I'm not sure! She has a great dress though. Maybe she should have Elsa's braided hairstyle :p

I always did like King Kaliente. Not best shot of him here, but it looks great in motion.
super-mario-galaxy-20071031104337015_640w.jpg
Totally. I recall being mighty impressed with the shiny surface on that level back as a young tween

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You don't like Mr. Rock Golem? He's one of my favorite bosses from the first and second game even though he's pretty easy to defeat.

Easy? I found him really hard, especially the Daredevil Challenge...

I'm probably overthinking it but I always wondered if that slight resemblance was intentional considering the obvious resemblance between GobbleGut and the dragons from the Paper Mario series. I always thought that was a nice easter egg and I wouldn't be against more references from the RPG series making their way into mainline Mario games

I wondered that as well with the dragons, but all the Paper Mario dragons end in "baba" in Japan (so they're related to the Blaargs, "Unbaba"), and Gobblegut is just Gaburyu, so it seems he's not intended to be part of the same family.

Top Bottom