• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it too late to jump on the current Xbox One model?

Jeremy

I'm sure people won't like that thread title but I'm genuinely curious. Every time I see it, I get a little more close to just purchasing the thing. I wanted to know if there are any hardware updates planned, slimmer models rumored, etc. Also, what's the best bundle for the lowest price that we've seen and are there any new bundles coming up? Thanks GAF.

Please redirect me if deleted. I'm search bad.

Hoje0308

Banned
I bought mine two months ago and don't regret it at all. But, I had very few reservations to begin with. E3 isn't that far away, which will obviously give you a better idea of what the future holds for the One. If you can wait until then I would suggest doing that.

But no, I don't know anything about a new model. I guess I just didn't expect that until 2016. As for bundles, the best I've seen were the AssCreed variety that were being sold for $350 that also included a $50 gift card. I can't imagine there won't be deals as good or better than that this fall, just with newer games.

I've heard the Podcast Unlocked crew at IGN speculate multiple times now that they think a "slim" model will be unveiled and released this year. Still seems too early to me, though. My only thought in favor of that idea is that Phil Spencer has clearly made a lot of changes to the XBOX One since he took his new position leading the division, so there's always a chance that he's going to push for smaller hardware faster than original timelines.

Still, 18-24 months seems like a quick turnaround to move away from the original design. Even the PS3 slim was 3 years and that model was desperately needed in order to cut costs...something MS doesn't seem to be struggling with on the XB1.

TomShoe

Banned
I'd wait until E3 at least. Given the recent pricing trends, there could be another MSRP drop or a slimmer version announced. If not then, then Black Friday.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'd wait until E3 at least. Given the recent pricing trends, there could be another MSRP drop or a slimmer version announced. If not then, then Black Friday.

That's like 8 months away though. At some point you're waiting so long your missing out on actually using the thing.

Theorry

Also do they want to take the risk of overheating again. Xbox One is big now, but its also silent and stays cool. Sure they learned from the 360 slim models. But still.

cakely

If you can wait until the holidays I'm certain there will be another fire sale.

I'm thinking $300 for the Xbox One and three games.

Noobcraft

The only "issue" (depending on your setup) with the current Xbox One is that it's big. If it's going under your TV it really isn't a big deal. The console is super quiet and has a quite nice build quality otherwise.

DrZeus

I wanted the sunset white bundled one. Now that that's discontinued I'm waiting myself for a slim or another white model. I have a huge backlog tho, so I'm in no rush to grab one.

Hoje0308

Banned
I've heard the Podcast Unlocked crew at IGN speculate multiple times now that they think a "slim" model will be unveiled and released this year. Still seems too early to me, though. My only thought in favor of that idea is that Phil Spencer has clearly made a lot of changes to the XBOX One since he took his new position leading the division, so there's always a chance that he's going to push for smaller hardware faster than original timelines.

Still, 18-24 months seems like a quick turnaround to move away from the original design. Even the PS3 slim was 3 years and that model was desperately needed in order to cut costs...something MS doesn't seem to be struggling with on the XB1.

I disagree somewhat. MS have only been competitive at a price point that is losing them money, so a new model could alleviate that issue. If said model allows them to stay at $350 without a loss, then they have more options this holiday season.

Wereroku

I would wait till the holidays for another one of their insane sales but it's really up to what you feel like your time is worth.

B-Ri

Wait until E3 if you already have a PS4/

I bought mine during the holidya season when it was $350, and the microsoft store gave me $100 credit when i traded in my 360 (which was one of the RROD plagued units, so $100 was a godsend for it),

I have barely touched the thing unfortunately. I've made some progress into Sunset Overdrive, and finished Ryse ... but thats about it. My PS4 has been dominating my playtime, and so has my N3DS.

Jeremy

These are some good suggestions. When we say holidays, are we meaning next winter? I have my PC and 3DS to carry me over until then but still seems like a long wait.

If there were a new model, what's the likelihood of trading in towards it for a fair amount?

TomShoe

Banned
That's like 8 months away though. At some point you're waiting so long your missing out on actually using the thing.

Black Friday is where the deals are at. No way Microsoft doesn't offer another fire sale.

Besides, plenty of time for games to get nice and cheap.

These are some good suggestions. When we say holidays, are we meaning next winter? I have my PC and 3DS to carry me over until then but still seems like a long wait.

If there were a new model, what's the likelihood of trading in towards it for a fair amount?

That's up to you, and whether you're willing to wait to get a deal.

I disagree somewhat. MS have only been competitive at a price point that is losing them money, so a new model could alleviate that issue. If said model allows them to stay at $350 without a loss, then they have more options this holiday season.

Do we know that they're losing money for sure, though? With Kinect out of the $350 bundle, that should remove a fair bit of the manufacturing cost alongside the price reduction.

statham

I'm sure people won't like that thread title but I'm genuinely curious. Every time I see it, I get a little more close to just purchasing the thing. I wanted to know if there are any hardware updates planned, slimmer models rumored, etc. Also, what's the best bundle for the lowest price that we've seen and are there any new bundles coming up? Thanks GAF.

best deal currently I believe is the Assassin's creed bundle with free extra controller
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TCR8YI2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I doubt any new bundles or announcements will happen before E3. Of course Phil's GDC speech is tomorrow, maybe hold off until then.

If you wait till BF again the deals are going to be even better. The thing drops in price and or launches a new bundle every other month nowadays. Unless you really want it now, you can just wait another month to see if it goes cheaper or maybe they throw XBLG or something in

Vanillalite

Black Friday is where the deals are at. No way Microsoft doesn't offer another fire sale.

Besides, plenty of time for games to get nice and cheap.

That's up to you, and whether you're willing to wait to get a deal.

Your waiting 8 almost 9 months to probably save $50.

I would get an Xbox One now. I would be really surprised if Microsoft releases a slim model this year. I expect the slim model to come in 2016 at the earliest.

The actual model is big but very well built and the controller is another one built like a tank. If there's one thing i can say about the Xbox One is that it's quality materials.

Wereroku

Your waiting 8 almost 9 months to probably save $50.

50 dollars plus maybe 3 to 4 free games. Their black friday deals are always crazy and it's not like they have a ton of summer blockbusters coming. All the games out now will still be around in the fall and theirs nothing big coming before the fall anyway.

At some point you're waiting so long your missing out on actually using the thing.

Games won't go away, they'll only get cheaper, so waiting is actually a smart move. Unless OP is interested in multiplayer games that have short-lived communities, in which case waiting is not ideal.

Bgamer90

Banned
I would say that it will probably be best to just wait until the Holiday season. You'll know what's coming in the future due to E3 + I'm expecting Microsoft to have some really solid bundles alongside the launch of Halo 5. On top of this, the majority of big 2015 Xbox One games will be coming out during the second half of this year so it isn't like you'll be missing out on much new stuff.

Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct, and Titanfall are really solid games. The first two games are still getting solid support (future DLC/updates) and Titanfall is very cheap. Ori is coming soon and it looks great too. I would still wait unless you REALLY want to play those games though.

I don't know if there will be a smaller/slim model this year (I would be surprised since it's still pretty early in the generation) but I would say there's a very high chance of the system being a cheaper price sometime this year.

Hoje0308

Banned
Do we know that they're losing money for sure, though? With Kinect out of the $350 bundle, that should remove a fair bit of the manufacturing cost alongside the price reduction.

I think it's an assumption based on leaked documents that laid out the manufacturing costs in detail. I can't remember what the final cost was supposed to be, but I'm almost positive it was more than $350. Hopefully someone here will know what the hell I'm talking about and post it.
But, even if the losses aren't that bad, I think a new model is something MS would likely be desperate for. Increasing profit margins never hurts and it could give them a boost without having to announce another price drop. If a new model hits in, let's say, August, the boost would last long enough to keep MS competitive until October or November, at which point they could once again use whatever bundles and/or price cuts they feel are necessary. Add in the fact that, in my opinion at least, they do have a very strong fall lineup and you have yourself a recipe for success.

Nah! Buy the white (Sunset Overdrive) one.

mackattk

It hasn't been out for that long, and I really haven't heard of any major problems with the hardware. If you want one, go buy one.

February 2014: Vanilla Xbox One with Kinect for $499

October 2014: Kinectless Xbox One with Two Assassin's Creed Games & a $50 Target Gift Card for $349

I REALLY don't see that being true for this year, are you seriously expecting the XB1, two games, and a $50 gift card for $199?

The Amazon thing with a free controller is basically the same as the deal you posted. You might save an extra $50 by waiting until Black Friday. Now is as good of a time to buy as any. If it is a system you want, and there are games you want to play right now, Saving $50 by waiting 8 months is getting pretty stingy. Spend the extra $50 and enjoy the system for 8 months.

Vanillalite

There is a bundle with three games, and an extra controller for 350 in the middle of Feb. The BF deals will be insane

Different games maybe, and $50 cheaper.

People equating next BF to last are just being stupid as the kinectless SKU deal isn't gonna magically re happen. That price/SKU change is already done.

I just got this bad boy a week ago. I wanted an xbox and wanted a cool edition. It was between this and the white version. I chose this:

JktPDI6.jpg

Now I'm kinda looking for a kinect for a good price to go with it.

Bgamer90

Banned

Oh you game on PC too? I would definitely say to wait until the Holiday season then. Nothing major coming to the system this year that can't be played on PC until possibly September (assuming it's the month that Quantum Break and Halo 5 will release).

I would assume that retail stores (especially Microsoft stores) would have good trade-in deals.

Vanillalite

Well it's not like the games are going away.

You might as well wait, save a possible $100-150, maybe even get a new model, and spend the savings on more games.

You can get the system with multiple games and an extra controller for $350. You people are just being stupid now if you think that you'll magically get that for $200.

Mendax

You can get the system with multiple games and an extra controller for $350. You people are just being stupid now if you think that you'll magically get that for $200.

it's not gonna get more expensive. Either it will get cheaper or it will be discontinued.

wait it out OP.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
There may also be deals around E3 you can take advantage of that are better than black friday.

Last year Gamestop was offering $150 for a PS3, $420 for a PS4 traded in towards a PS4.

I bought a $80 PS3 and $290 PS4 used and traded them in. Basically netting me a new PS4 (tax free) and $170 gift card for $370.

Different games maybe, and $50 cheaper.

People equating next BF to last are just being stupid as the kinectless SKU deal isn't gonna magically re happen. That price/SKU change is already done.

You could get the X1 for like $200 less with multuple free games after only a year. MS has made it clear that they will go low just to win those two months.

Uh I was talking about getting $300 with bundled games. Bundled games also have value, so you're deal is $100-150 savings.

Where's this deal you're talking about?

Dunlop

Aside from form factor (which is a non issue for me as it sits on a shelf under my TV) I do not see what they could improve.

This thing makes absolutely no noise, I actually didn't really notice how loud my PS4 was until after getting the XB1 lol

TomShoe

Banned
It hasn't been out for that long, and I really haven't heard of any major problems with the hardware. If you want one, go buy one

I REALLY don't see that being true for this year, are you seriously expecting the XB1, two games, and a $50 gift card for $199?

No chance of it going that low, but I expect a bundle with 2 free games and some other sort of value-add for around $299. Given that the AC bundles will eventually be filtered out and replaced with newer titles, that equates to $100+ savings

No chance of it going that low, but I expect a bundle with 2 free games and some other sort of value-add for around $299. Given that the AC bundles will eventually be filtered out and replaced with newer titles, that equates to $100+ savings

$299 with $50 gift card, Halo 5 and TR. Maybe throw in some Gold. I see that happening depending on what Sony doss price wise

mackattk

I can see that happening, but still it only amounts to a ~$50 savings. The titles will be refreshed, thats a given. The free controller offered right now is a $60 value. The AC games are getting a little dated, but if it is a system that the OP wants, I don't see the point waiting 8 months in order to save ~$50.

Top Bottom