• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it too late to jump on the current Xbox One model?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You could get the X1 for like $200 less with multuple free games after only a year. MS has made it clear that they will go low just to win those two months.

They took the kinect out of the box. Again it's totally disengenous to have this line of thinking of it's totally gonna drop another $150 next BF.

Uh I was talking about getting $300 with bundled games. Bundled games also have value, so you're deal is $100-150 savings.

Where's this deal you're talking about?

Did you even read the thread? Someone already posted a link to the deal on Amazon above.

Again maybe next BF you get the system and a couple of games for $280-$300. Again that's $50-$70 cheaper than the system an extra controller and a couple of games now on Amazon.

Bizzquik

That's like 8 months away though. At some point you're waiting so long your missing out on actually using the thing.

THANK YOU.

Seriously, people. Its a video game console. If you're looking for a reason NOT to buy one, you will find it. But if you want to enjoy the simple act of playing a game - today - then you shouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on an Xbox One and/or a PlayStation 4. Great machines with great third-party support and interesting exclusives. Their futures are bright!

I'd rather own either of these now than have an extra $50 in my pocket 300 days from now.

pr0cs

I bought my kid one for xmas (he really loves the forza series especially forza horizon)
overall I'm impressed with the box, it just feels more like a connected community type device than the PS4 does.
I still use the PS4 more simply because it's more the multiplat device but I will say that the deals to be had (esp on digital titles on xbone) are attractive and so far most of the exclusive xbone titles have been better than Sony's exclusives (subjective of course).

If there is something you want to play now then buy now, but if you can wait I'd wait for E3, simply in case there is something interesting announced then, either a new model or lower pricing, etc. I really think Microsoft has to pull out all stops this E3 to keep the traction the XBONE got this winter.

I think there will be a hardware revision by at least holiday 2016 but it wouldn't surprise me if there is one sooner. The Xbox One is turning out to be an amazing console and putting a new face to it will help MS sell more for sure. Perception hurt the Xbox a lot. I ended up being lucky enough to own a PS4 and Xbox one but if I had to choose one at this point I would definitely pick the Xbox one. I personally wouldn't wait especially with some of the great deals around but since you have waited so far you might want to just wait till E3 and see if it is exactly what you want.

I've been thinking about picking one up myself, but theres only a few games I want.

One of them is Zoo Tycoon, and I'd like to know if its any good.

leobebes

Banned
Yes, you jump on it.

There should be no hesitation in buying an Xbox One if you enjoy playing video games. Anyone telling you otherwise, without inferring whether or not you already own a console, are probably just playing to the audience.

There are ton of multiplat and solid first party titles available to play. By far the best multmedia console of the three, and probably has the best development platform of the three with the integration of Win 10 apps and other software support that MS is ready to leverage onto their Xbox platform.

If you had asked if you should have jumped on the PS4, I would've said yes, the same can absolutely be said about the Xbox One as well.

TNH853

the best deal i saw in germany was 280€ for the console and 300€ for the so bundle.
i guess this winter there will be a bundle price at 250€/$ hopefully with quantum break.

It's still the same hardware regardless, just in a smaller form factor. Unless space and/or potential heating are a big issue (and I've never seen any heat issues with this console), I'd say it's never too late.

Jobbs

Banned
just get it. it's big, yes, but it also looks pretty cool (it's basically a big box, which is pretty inoffensive) and runs cool/quiet. do you really need a smaller version so bad that you'll give up half a year (or more) of owning something you want to use?

Derpyduck

Banned
I'm personally waiting for them to release a new, slimmer version of the console. But I think it's hilarious that people are telling you to wait 8-9 months for what will most likely amount to a small savings and the inclusion of a different game. No deal offered over Black Friday beats the deal Amazon has with the free controller and 3 games.

The reason I'm waiting is because the current Xbox One was built with the idea that the Kinect would always be connected, but when it's not connected there's a high probability your console will suffer from coil whine, which they alleviated in a patch last Fall, but it's still incredibly noticeable. For a console advertised to be silent, I found it to be unacceptable.

No way is there a new version this year. For starters, there's too many of the old one on shop shelves. (This is not a stealth troll. If anything, the One is my favourite of my console children.) Also, why? It's a nice looking beast of a machine. It doesn't even come close to overheating. It's getting cheaper to manufacture by the day. I reckon you've got 18 months before a hardware refresh at the earliest.

Jeremy

No way is there a new version this year. For starters, there's too many of the old one on shop shelves. (This is not a stealth troll. If anything, the One is my favourite of my console children.) Also, why? It's a nice looking beast of a machine. It doesn't even come close to overheating. It's getting cheaper to manufacture by the day. I reckon you've got 18 months before a hardware refresh at the earliest.

Mostly because I wouldn't be surprised if console updates start focusing on hardware upgrades more than trying to become incredibly slim. A 1TB hard drive coming stock is infinitely better than 500GB.

pr0cs

Mostly because I wouldn't be surprised if console updates start focusing on hardware upgrades more than trying to become incredibly slim. A 1TB hard drive coming stock is infinitely better than 500GB.

considering how ridiculously easy it is to add storage to the xbone making different versions with larger hard-drives does not increase perceived value.. to me anyway.

To me Microsoft needs to make live gold more attractive, either make it significantly cheaper than ps plus or give it a few 'must have' features that make it a no brainer.

and no, 'you get to play multiplayer' is not enough of a distinguishing difference, especially when compared to ps plus.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Wait until E3 if you already have a PS4/

I have barely touched the thing unfortunately. I've made some progress into Sunset Overdrive, and finished Ryse ... but thats about it. My PS4 has been dominating my playtime

This is exactly my situation. I bought a white Sunset Overdrive bundle and beat the game, got Ryse for free from MS and beat it as well. Bought DR3 and Forza Horizon 2 over the holidays but barely have touched either. The system has only been turned on once since Christmas I think.

The PS4 has been on almost every day since last fall however. Better multiplatforms due to the extra power really have made the Xbox One a sorely underused platform in my home, a complete role reversal from last gen. Sometimes I contemplate selling it, but I feel like I will regret the decision if an exclusive comes out that I want, even though I think Quantum Break is the only one I can really think of at the moment.

It's basically turned into a Nintendo machine, only used for 1st party games and hibernates the rest of the year. :)

Still, I love the software side of it. If the Xbox was the more powerful, it would be my go-to machine for sure. Oh, and if Games with Gold was as good as PS+.

TomShoe

Banned
Not really. Newegg had the Xbox One for $250 + a year of Live + $40 GC to Newegg a few months ago.

That was a special that required you to pay in bitcoin.

The point is that the majority of blockbusters are going to be held during Black Friday. Cheap consoles, cheap games, cheap everything.

The current xbox one runs pretty much silently and stays really cool. Also there are almost no hardware issues or failures that I have heard of for it so for those reasons I would get one now. If a revision comes out I wouldn't jump on it right away, instead I would wait a few months to see if any issues turn up for others. After the rrod issue with my original xbox 360 I have become very careful with purchasing new consoles and would advise the same for others.

Top Bottom