• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Anyone Else Use How Long to Beat?

JaseMath

HowLongToBeat.com

Married and expecting, there's a lot of compromises on my time, so I've been looking for short and sweet experiences. I've find myself using How Long To Beat a lot lately–it's a pretty great tool–though I've never seen it mentioned here on GAF...

Am I the only one? I can't be the only one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have a large backlog of RPGs and I use it to schedule which I'll play next.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
HowLongToBeat.com

Married and expecting, there's a lot of compromises on my time, so lately I've been looking for short and sweet experiences. I've been using How Long To Beat a lot lately–it's a pretty great tool–though I've never heard seen it mentioned here on GAF...

Funny you say that...

its made by a gaffer. Or at least I remember a gaffer talking about creating this and the first steps yeeeeeeeears ago. There should be an origin-thread somewhere on gaf if I recall correctly.

I use it to give a rough estimate, but I find I take almost twice as long as the average for whatever reason. I do like to stop and smell the roses in visually appealing games though, so mystery solved.

Fbh

Yep. Great site and in my experience it tend to be pretty accurate.

I sometimes use to see how far I'm in a game or I'm a bit short on time to make sure I'm not about to walk into a 80+ hours game

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Let's me see whether i should play/buy a game, as i have so little time recently i can only afford to play games that are 0-8 hours long over the course of a few days

Ralemont

not me
Besides the obvious uses, I often use it when I don't like/am bored with a game I'm currently playing and want to decide whether to cut my losses or see it through.

mdubs

Banned
All the time, I never play a game without knowing how long it will be. The figures are all eerily accurate as well

schlew

I really enjoy that site. Just a nice way to budget my time. It's a big help for JRPGs, as a lot of the numbers in communities like GAF are from completionists, and it's nice to know how long a more vanilla playthrough takes.

If I feel that I'm starting to get fatigued on a game I'll look at it sometimes to see how much more I have to expect. I find that it tends to be pretty accurate.

Kriken

I've used it to get a rough estimate before playing a game to see if I think I can beat it in a certain time (i.e. can I beat game X before game Y comes out in 5 days?)

I always check HLTB before installing a new Steam game. I never know what to play, so I tend to pick the shortest game of those I'm considering.

bbd23

sometimes I check my steam backlog to see how many hours I've played then check the site to see if im almost done or not :D

I've used it to get a rough estimate before playing a game to see if I think I can beat it in a certain time (i.e. can I beat game X before game Y comes out in 5 days?)

Basically that. Or to know when I'm gonna finish certain game and divide hours between it or other games.

It's a really helpful site for me.

Yes, it helps me choose which game to focus on next as I have a massive backlog and poor impulse control when it comes to purchasing.

Dsyndrome

I use to find out the next game to tackle in my backlog; if it's something 80+ hours and I'm already deep into another one, I won't touch it right away.

Hexa

I use it for planning purposes and sometimes to decide what game to play. There are some that after looking at look like I'd be willing to put lots of hours into, and some that look interesting but that don't look like something I'd put that much time into. I don't like leaving games half finished so this helps me avoid that.

Ladekabel

HowLongToBeat.com

Married and expecting, there's a lot of compromises on my time, so lately I've been looking for short and sweet experiences. I've been using How Long To Beat a lot lately–it's a pretty great tool–though I've never heard seen it mentioned here on GAF...

It gets mentioned in the monthly backlog threads and I believe in the 52 games in a year and Backlog Blitz threads.

I use it. But as soon as I finished my backlog I probably won't care sadly. But it's pretty great and often very accurate.

Sometimes I just feel like playing a game I can beat in a few consecutive nights so I'll check the site for that. I don't check the site for most games I play.

mantis23

I rely very heavily on it. I have a massive backlog and like to carefully curate what I play. HLTB allows me to effectively do that. I will play a epic 40+ hour game and then use some smaller games of different genres as palate cleansers before digging into another long game.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I've never used it. First I heard about it was last year or 2 on this forum.

I dont think I ever will...too much like micro managing to me. I just focus on PSN, XBL games if I want a shorter gaming experience. Anything else will either be par for the course or will have me saying WTH if it seems too short.

If it helps folks....seems like it does learning about it over the past year or so....great.

All the time! I'm so thankful for it! Time is a commodity these days and I want to be able to play everything I can. HLTB helps me figure out when I can squeeze which game.

Koh

I use it a bit differently. If I'm playing a game and then lose momentum, i check the site to get an estimate of how close i am to the end of the game without the chance for spoilers.

I used it for handing my backlog. I pick out the shorter games to work on first since the vast majority of the games I play are rpgs.

definitely. very useful site. like others i mostly use it to see how long a game is before i purchase and/or decide to play it out of my backlog.

Stormus

I never use it to determine if I'm going to play a game or not, but I always like to check it to see how long I can expect to be playing a certain game.

Also, the times tend to be pretty damn accurate which is nice.

flyover

I have a large backlog of RPGs and I use it to schedule which I'll play next.

Same here. Helps me plan ahead, when I know I've only got so many days/weeks before things get busy at work and home.

I use it a bit differently. If I'm playing a game and then lose momentum, i check the site to get an estimate of how close i am to the end of the game without the chance for spoilers.

That's a great way to use it, too.

I do now!!
Thanks OP.

Just checked it out, I do occasionally go on a trophy hunt, so this will give me idea of how long to get a platinum.

khaaan

All the time, it helps reshuffle what I'm planning on playing based on what I'm looking for at the time. I wouldn't be playing Suikoden right now if that completion time was much longer.

Top Bottom