• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FIFA World Cup 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
150pxworldcup2006logo1ne.png

fifaworldcuporg7sg.jpg

And so the big stage begins. Throughout the World Cup I'll try and edit the original post with match outcomes soon as the matches finish as I'll be watching every one live bar one or two.

Commencement dates: June 9th - July 9th

THE BIG ONE HAS ARRIVED!

World Cup Final

Italy vs France

World Cup 3rd Place (aka shit-bread fighter award)

Germany vs Portugal

Miguel

Woo! Can't wait. Too bad this year I'll have a job with NORMAL hours, which is when all the games are starting. :(

All games will be starting between 8am and 2pm CST

Ryck

My picks :)

GROUP A
Germany
Ecuador
Costa Rica
Poland

GROUP B
England
Paraguay
Sweden
Trinidad and Tobago

GROUP C
Argentina
Netherlands
Cote d'Ivoire
Serbia and Montenegro

GROUP D
Mexico
Angola
Portugal
Iran

GROUP E
Italy
USA
Ghana
Czech Republic

GROUP F
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

GROUP G
France
Korea Republic
Togo
Switzerland

GROUP H
Spain
Saudi Arabia
Ukraine
Tunisia

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I worry about Paraguay. Everyone seems to think England won't have a problem getting through the group, and it's certainly one of the best ones to have, but I can't believe a team who can qualify joint third best in S. America will be the pushovers people imagine.

I expect us to top the group, at worst go through second, but all it takes is a draw in the first game (Paraguay) and I'll be worried.

speedpop

Thanks for the flag images Hooker, put bigger version all in OP but of course didn't allow it and I couldn't be stuffed dividing it into two posts.

Goalkeepers: Oswaldo Sanchez, Guillermo Ochoa, Jesus Corona

Yay, Jesus made the cut!

Bible jokes aside, that guy is amazing. He should be the number 1 goalie, not the third.

Never ehard of Guillermo.

jamesinclair said:
Goalkeepers: Oswaldo Sanchez, Guillermo Ochoa, Jesus Corona

Yay, Jesus made the cut!

Bible jokes aside, that guy is amazing. He should be the number 1 goalie, not the third.

Never ehard of Guillermo.

Ochoa is a very young player. He plays for America, one of the most popular (and most hated:p ) clubs here in Mexico, he´s pretty good, but Oswaldo is really our best bet for the World Cup.

909er said:
I hope the US gets to play Mexico again...and beat them again. :lol

I have to admit that hurt the last time. Still, I find it very difficult to believe that the US will manage to survive the first round, Italy and the Czech Republic are the ones most likely to make it.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Well done speedpop, great thread:D

I have to admit that hurt the last time. Still, I find it very difficult to believe that the US will manage to survive the first round, Italy and the Czech Republic are the ones most likely to make it.
That group is very difficult. Italy and Czech are favourties, but Ghana are a team you cant underestimate. African teams are physically stong and veery fast. USA haver proved that they can do quite well in world cups, but i dont see them getting past the group stages either.

Czech have a very strong team. They might only have a few world class players such as nedved, cech, rosicky and baros but they play excellently as a team.

Italy are going to struggle a little but they'll make it. The previous cup competitions havent seen them do too well, they got knocked out of the 2nd round in the last world cup and they didnt even progress through the group stages at euro 2004. not only that but Italian football is going to hell at the moment after the match fixing scandal. They'll progress through the group stage though, they have too much talent and they've got a world class coach so it shouldnt be a problem.

909er

psycho_snake said:
Well done speedpop, great thread:D

That group is very difficult. Italy and Czech are favourties, but Ghana are a team you cant underestimate. African teams are physically stong and veery fast. USA haver proved that they can do quite well in world cups, but i dont see them getting past the group stages either.

Czech have a very strong team. They might only have a few world class players such as nedved, cech, rosicky and baros but they play excellently as a team.

Italy are going to struggle a little but they'll make it. The previous cup competitions havent seen them do too well, they got knocked out of the 2nd round in the last world cup and they didnt even progress through the group stages at euro 2004. not only that but Italian football is going to hell at the moment after the match fixing scandal. They'll progress through the group stage though, they have too much talent and they've got a world class coach so it shouldnt be a problem.

Totti is still out for Italy right?

Hooker

^ Nope

He even played again before the season end. - Totti fully-fit on war strenght and not too tired due to his 3 month-rest is a force to be reckoned with

Coen

Does anyone know of a place where I can find probable starting line-ups for all teams? I'm organizing a small poule system for friends and family. Rather than having to guess the results, they have to pick a goali, four defenders, three midfielders and three forwards to create a strong squad. But everybody keeps asking me about the starting line-ups.

909er

Hooker said:
^ Nope

He even played again before the season end. - Totti fully-fit on war strenght and not too tired due to his 3 month-rest is a force to be reckoned with

While we're on Italian soccer, is Maldini retired, or does he just not do World Cups?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yeah, wtf is up with that list? I have a hard time believing Mexico and USA are better than Argentina and Italy, for example. I guess it will become obvious once the World Cup starts though.

As long as Brazil or England don't win it I'm happy. As a member of a shitty football nation that hasn't even qualified since the year i was born (86) I watch the world cup as a neutral and as such have had to pick a team and as Norway and Denmark aren't there this time (dammit) I'm going with the Dutch.

The Fifa rankings don't work because they are calculated by results of teams you have played to qualify for competitions etc. USA is so high because they don't really play teams of high difficulty to qualify so they usually win. Brazil Argentina and the other south americans all play eachother. Europe it can go either way depending on yur group :p

Shmmeee

My picks:

GROUP A
Germany
Ecuador
Costa Rica
Poland

GROUP B
England
Paraguay
Sweden
Trinidad and Tobago

GROUP C
Argentina
Netherlands
Cote d'Ivoire
Serbia and Montenegro

GROUP D
Mexico
Angola
Portugal
Iran

GROUP E
Italy
USA
Ghana
Czech Republic

GROUP F
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

GROUP G
France
Korea Republic
Togo
Switzerland

GROUP H
Spain
Saudi Arabia
Ukraine
Tunisia

Englad FTW this time, I have a feeling Walcott is going to come home a hero. I doubt Brazil will do too well probably semis, European teams will have a good one because of the location. England v Germany final, England to win on Pens.

Yeah the FIFA rankings mean nothing, other than bragging rights.

NLB2

Banned
USA is the best at everything*. If we don't win this World Cup we'll win it soon enough.

*With the exception of queer stuff. Shit, I guess we'll always suck at soccer then.

Mama Smurf

Here are the friendly fixtures for the teams involved before the World Cup. Checking these might be the best way for the guy wanting to know starting line ups, though you won't know if managers are experimenting or giving their first team time together.

May 23rd

Austria : Croatia
USA : Morocco
South Korea : Senegal

May 24th

Ecuador : Colombia
Norway : Paraguay

May 25th

Sweden : Finland
Australia : Greece
England B* : Belarus

May 26th

Saudi Arabia : Czech Republic
Turkey : Ghana
USA : Venezuela
South Korea : Bosnia-Herzegovina

May 27th

Holland : Cameroon
France : Mexico
Spain : Russia
Portugal : Cape Verde Islands
Denmark : Paraguay
Wales : Trinidad and Tobago
Switzerland : Côte d'Ivoire
Serbia and Montenegro : Uruguay
Germany : Luxembourg

May 28th

Croatia : Iran
USA : Latvia
FYR Macedonia : Ecuador
Ukraine: Costa Rica

May 29th

Jamaica : Ghana

May 30th

Germany : Japan
England : Hungary
Czech Republic : Costa Rica
Poland : Colombia
Argentina : Angola
Chile : Côte d'Ivoire
Tunisia : Belarus

May 31st

France : Denmark
Georgia : Paraguay
Slovenia : Trinidad and Tobago
Switzerland : Italy
Saudi Arabia : Turkey

June 1st

Holland : Mexico
Norway : South Korea

June 2nd

Italy : Ukraine
Germany : Colombia
Sweden : Chile
Liechtenstein : Togo
Angola : Turkey

June 3rd

England : Jamaica
Luxembourg : Portugal
Czech Republic : Trinidad and Tobago
Croatia : Poland
Lithuania : Japan
Spain : Egypt

June 4th

Holland : Australia
Brazil : New Zealand
Japan : Malta
Ghana : South Korea
Argentina : Saudi Arabia
Slovenia : Côte d'Ivoire

June 5th

Ukraine : Libya

June 7th

France : China
Australia : Liechtenstein
Spain : Croatia
Saudi Arabia : Bosnia-Herzegovina
Tunisia : Iraq

June 8th

Luxembourg : Ukraine

*there may well be other sides with B internationals, but I only know of England's. Could well be an Owen - Walcott frontline, with Owen looking to get back up to full match fitness.

Portugal's fixtures are rather pathetic, but I guess there's something to be said for going into a World Cup with two easy, high scoring wins behind you.

Fifty

It's such a shame Ireland isn't in this year's WC. The best fans in the world, and a team with tons of heart. I'm not sure who I'll cheer for now :(

Maybe Iran!

Mama Smurf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiBu1WPLSb0&search=england world cup goals

A compliation of England goals there (plus some of our worst moments at the beginning, for those who hate us), though not all World Cup and some aren't that amazing at all, though Owen's goal against Argentina is particularly impressive. Some aren't as special out of context, like that Beckham free kick. A great strike, but even better when its the last kick of the game, we're losing to Greece and need a draw to avoid a play off for the world cup.

Also, I'm pretty sure that's Waddle's penalty miss against Germany and not Southgate's...aginst Germany...even though they've put that commentary over it.

Mama Smurf

Oh and if you want to see that Bergamp video in non-crap quality, go to google video and search for bergkamp. Just make sure you have it set to original size.

Hooker

Mama Smurf said:
Oh and if you want to see that Bergamp video in non-crap quality, go to google video and search for bergkamp. Just make sure you have it set to original size.
Yeah, but none with the Jack van Gelder commentary though :)

ElyrionX

Shmmeee said:
Argentina
Netherlands
Cote d'Ivoire
Serbia and Montenegro

I hope you didn't pick Ivory Coast over Netherlands because you took into consideration the sheer striking prowess of Drogba.

speedpop

Took out the team lineups due to them being annoying as shit, they're linked in Hooker's posts anyway just in case anyone needs them. Again, they might all be changed due to injuries and the like.

Figured I may as well give my two cents on predictions. Been quite spot on for awhile for some very creepy reason.. i.e. saying France vs Brazil in 98, France winning. Brazil hitting final in 2002 and Korea getting quite far.. even one so strange as saying that one day Hiddink will coach one of my favourite sides and there he goes coaching Australia to World Cup glory.

GROUP A
Germany & Ecuador

GROUP B
England & Sweden

GROUP C
Argentina & Netherlands

GROUP D
Portugal & Iran

GROUP E
Italy & Czech Rep.

GROUP F
Brazil & Australia (I've enjoyed watching Japan play and mature as a World Cup nation since 98 but I think Australia will oust them in the first and most important match)

GROUP G
France & Switzerland (as much as I'd love to see Korea go further again, the Swiss seem to have the cat in the bag)

GROUP H
Spain & Ukraine

Too far to tell who will get into QTR Finals or even the Semis/Final. But going to stick with the Italy/England/Brazil mentality atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom