• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FIFA World Cup 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
In seven days time England will know if they will actually get past the quarter finals after Rooney has a scan. The scan should be able to tell us when we can expect Roonye to be fit again. Please God, England need this scouser fit!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I don't really like the idea of Gerrard in that position, I'd prefer Lampard. Gerrard is best when bursting onto the ball from midfield, I don't want him as the link up man between midfield and attack, you have your back to goal too often with that. I do fancy Lampard in that role though.

I also think Gerrard is a better tackler than Lampard and therefore better alongside Carrick in that central midfield with Lampard further forward (Gerrard is still free to go forward as Carrick is the insurance policy, he just won't stay forward). Gerrard also has any amazing shot from distance, better than Lampard's, so I'd prefer Lampard nearer the box where he's more effective.

Dedalus

Lampard is a holding player and feels most comfortable there. Did you see his performances in Euro 2004? He was legendary just in the hole in front of defence. I reckon Gerrard would do well up front if he's partnered with Owen. They played a lot of club football together with Gerrard playing as an attacking midfielder to link up play. But I think Erikkson is thinking of Gerrard as a target man who can hold up play, sort of like Crouch but not quite as shit :p

Dedalus

Yes you read correctly.

EDIT:

EURO 2004 lineups:

England v France
England v Switzerland
England v Croatia
England v Portugal

Lampard and Gerrard played in the centre, alternating between holding and pushing forward. Sometimes Gerrard would hold while Lampard linked play and vice versa. It has to be said, Lampard was the better holding player as Erikkson would often push Gerrard out on the left and leave Lampard as the only real solid central player. Since Euro 2004 Lampard has been the solid holding player.

If I were Erikkson, I'd look at the midfield and say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Mama Smurf

Carrick is a holding player. If Lampard was a holding player, there wouldn't be a problem playing him and Gerrard together. He also wouldn't get 20 goals in a season.

psycho_snake

Anyone who watches lampard play regulalry will know that lampard is nothing like a holdding midfielder. Gerrard and Lampard play together because they are the best two midfielders we have, but the problem is that they play nearly the exact same role so they get in each others way and they dont have a midfield partner who can cover for them when they push up.

Dedalus

psycho_snake said:
Anyone who watches lampard play regulalry will know that lampard is nothing like a holdding midfielder.

Yeah, that's why Sven never plays him in that position right? -_-

Dedalus

Mama Smurf said:
Please give it up, you'll be saying Owen is a left back next.

I get it. Hate on the junior member, he must know nothing -_- Kind of tribe mentality that I've come to expect from the 'elite'.

But it's a simple fact, for England Lampard has always been a holding player at his best. If Sven wants to use him differently then I'm interested to see it.

Why are you two even bothering arguing about this.

England is going down either way.

totti--310x210.jpg

We spit on your country.

Mama Smurf

It's not a fact, it's wrong. It's not because you're a junior member, it's because you're wrong! Holding midfielder...I mean, good god. I don't know how else to convince you. Please explain how a holding midfielder scores 20 goals in a season. Or how he's scored more than a goal every 4 games for England.

Do you even know what being a holding midfielder means? It means almost always holding your position in midfield and often being at least as defensive as creative. Lampard gets forward at every slight chance he gets, and is definitely better creatively than defensively. He plays almost exactly like Gerrard.

Just...wtf man? wtf? *shakes head*

Dedalus

Mama Smurf said:
It's not a fact, it's wrong. It's not because you're a junior member, it's because you're wrong! Holding midfielder...I mean, good god. I don't know how else to convince you. Please explain how a holding midfielder scores 20 goals in a season. Or how he's scored more than a goal every 4 games for England.

Do you even know what being a holding midfielder means? It means almost always holding your position in midfield and often being at least as defensive as creative. Lampard gets forward at every slight chance he gets, and is definitely better creatively than defensively. He plays almost exactly like Gerrard.

Just...wtf man? wtf? *shakes head*

I think you're taking Lampard in the context of Chelsea, when in fact we are discussing it in terms of England (seeing as this is the Germany 2006 thread right?). He's a midfielder, but for England he plays a holding role mate, get over yourself. You're demonstrating Pub Football Knowledge 101. Dig up every game Lampard has played for England and you'll find Sven has put him in the hole. How can you dispute that? He might play more freely under Mourinho but it's different under Sven. I don't see how you can be so dense about it to be honest.

Gerrard on the other hand does not always play in the hole for Sven. He likes to play him a bit more forward and will often play him on the left (a la Heskey). During Euro 2004 Lampard and Gerrard alternated holding/going forward. You're gonna dispute that? Jesus man, get a clue.

italy_team.jpg

"Look at them... their arguing is futile..."

"England always chokes, always. What does it matter where each player is in when they choke?"

"Worry not, my brothers. Their anger will soon turn to pain."

Shinobi

Mike Works said:
italy_team.jpg

"Look at them... their arguing is futile..."

"England always chokes, always. What does it matter where each player is in when they choke?"

"Worry not, my brothers. Their anger will soon turn to pain."

Yeah, it's not like Italy's ever been familiar with choking...

94_8.jpg

_38062446_baggio300.jpg

If (when) the Azzurri chokes again, they'll probably use the embarassing Seire A match fixing investigation as the excuse.

That Bergkemp call is hilarious BTW. :lol

Alucard

Banned
Not that our chances of getting out of our group are that great but...

pl-st.gif

GO POLAND.

P.S. Italy isn't going anywhere this year.

Mama Smurf

Dedalus said:
I think you're taking Lampard in the context of Chelsea, when in fact we are discussing it in terms of England (seeing as this is the Germany 2006 thread right?). He's a midfielder, but for England he plays a holding role mate, get over yourself. You're demonstrating Pub Football Knowledge 101. Dig up every game Lampard has played for England and you'll find Sven has put him in the hole. How can you dispute that? He might play more freely under Mourinho but it's different under Sven. I don't see how you can be so dense about it to be honest.

Oh right, he must have scored those England goals from the holding role. His ratio of 1 goal every 3.8 England games must just be coincidentally better than Gerrard's 1 every 6.7 games. I must have been watching a different game when Lampard practically played up front against Poland. Perhaps I was watching a different team entirely everytime Lampard and Gerrard played together and Gerrard had to sit back to let Lampard go forward, because Gerrard is far better defensivedy.

Gerrard on the other hand does not always play in the hole for Sven. He likes to play him a bit more forward and will often play him on the left (a la Heskey). During Euro 2004 Lampard and Gerrard alternated holding/going forward. You're gonna dispute that? Jesus man, get a clue.

Amusing. You actually bring up a point to help me, which I'd forgotten. When England play the diamond formation, Gerrard goes out on the left...and Lampard takes the attacking midfield role. It's almost like he's an attacking midfielder!

If anything, he plays deeper for Chelsea. Lampard scored 5 of England's last 28 goals. Gerrard scored 2 (I went back to a game they both scored in so as not to give either an advantage).

Of course I won't dispute Lampard and Gerrard alternated in the holding role. Did I say that? No, I said Lampard isn't a holding midfielder, you said he is. Gerrard isn't a holding midfielder either, though he's better at it, so they alternate.

I mean think for a moment. You claim Lampard is a holding midfielder, and Gerrard is attacking. Yet you then say they were alternated for England between those roles. Now why would they be alternated if one is holding and one is attacking? They wouldn't be, you'd leave them in their best positions. So they're either both holding, or both attacking. And as we can both agree Gerrard is attacking at elast, they're both attacking.

So let's add this up. You say Lampard is a holding midfielder just because. You can't seem to provide anything to support this. In fact, a couple of times you argue things which hurt your argument.

I on the other hand say:

- He outscores Gerrard (both on ratio and total) domestically and for England, yet apparently you think Gerrard is attacking and Lampard holding

- Lampard has been outscoring Gerrard in recent times too....both domestically and internationally

- When playing a diamond, it's Lampard who goes to the front attacking position, not Gerrard

- There are frequent arguments amongst pundits over whether Lampard and Gerrard can play together, because they're such similar players. An attacking and holding player are not the same, and in fact compliment each other perfectly, so these arguments shouldn't exist if Lampard is holding

- On the same lines, you yourself point out they alternate roles for England, which you wouldn't do if one was attacking and one holding, you'd keep them in their best positions. But as they play the same position, they have to swap

- Lampard not only outscores Gerrard, he outscores the vast majority of strikers. 4th top scorer in the Premiership this year, top for his club, exactly the same the year before. Dismiss this as a club thing if you like, but I've already shown he scores for England just as much.

- When Lampard plays without Gerrard for England, for whatever reason, do they pick another attacking midfielder to replace Gerrard? Afterall, Lampard's holding, you wouldn't put another holding player in. Except....they do! Because Lampard's attacking!

- I have support from another poster, whereas you seem to be fighting a lone battle

If this doesn't convince you, you're just being stubborn and refusing to admit you're wrong. You'll say the same back to me I'm sure, but you really have no argument. If Lampard is a holding midfielder then NO ONE is an attacking midfielder.

Dedalus

Mama Smurf said:
Oh right, he must have scored those England goals from the holding role. His ratio of 1 goal every 3.8 England games must just be coincidentally better than Gerrard's 1 every 6.7 games. I must have been watching a different game when Lampard practically played up front against Poland. Perhaps I was watching a different team entirely everytime Lampard and Gerrard played together and Gerrard had to sit back to let Lampard go forward, because Gerrard is far better defensivedy.

What does goal ratio have to do with this argument? If either one of them were to play up front it would be as a supporting striker, Owen is the goalscorer.

Mama Smurf said:
Amusing. You actually bring up a point to help me, which I'd forgotten. When England play the diamond formation, Gerrard goes out on the left...and Lampard takes the attacking midfield role. It's almost like he's an attacking midfielder!

Selective arguments ftl I'm afraid. Lampard also drops deep if Cole is playing so this is a null point.

Mama Smurf said:
If anything, he plays deeper for Chelsea. Lampard scored 5 of England's last 28 goals. Gerrard scored 2 (I went back to a game they both scored in so as not to give either an advantage).

Again, goalscoring rate equates to the position you play? Not on discussion here kiddo.

Mama Smurf said:
Of course I won't dispute Lampard and Gerrard alternated in the holding role. Did I say that? No, I said Lampard isn't a holding midfielder, you said he is. Gerrard isn't a holding midfielder either, though he's better at it, so they alternate.

That's the whole freaking point! Get the pacifier out of your mouth and try to read the words and not what you want them to mean eh?

Mama Smurf said:
I mean think for a moment. You claim Lampard is a holding midfielder, and Gerrard is attacking. Yet you then say they were alternated for England between those roles. Now why would they be alternated if one is holding and one is attacking? They wouldn't be, you'd leave them in their best positions. So they're either both holding, or both attacking. And as we can both agree Gerrard is attacking at elast, they're both attacking.

Erm...no. I claimed Lampard plays in the hole for England and can do a better job than Gerrard in that position. The whole point of saying that was because of conjecture that Gerrard could play up front. It's my opinion that Gerrard is better, you feel otherwise so stop touting yourself as Lord and Ruler of the Football Knowledge.

Mama Smurf said:
So let's add this up. You say Lampard is a holding midfielder just because. You can't seem to provide anything to support this. In fact, a couple of times you argue things which hurt your argument.

Incorrect. See above.

Mama Smurf said:
I on the other hand say:

- He outscores Gerrard (both on ratio and total) domestically and for England, yet apparently you think Gerrard is attacking and Lampard holding

Again, wtf? When were we ever talking about goalscoring ratio? Owen is the goalscorer, and even if Gerrard goes up front it won't be as the main striker it'd be as a linkup player. Seems you don't know much about positional play afterall. Learn to read too.

Mama Smurf said:
- Lampard has been outscoring Gerrard in recent times too....both domestically and internationally

-Lampard has scored 20 goals this season for Chelsea.
-Gerrard has scored 23 goals this season for Liverpool.
So umm..yeah, you're wrong. Again.

Mama Smurf said:
- When playing a diamond, it's Lampard who goes to the front attacking position, not Gerrard

Even after agreeing that they alternate? It's not always Lampard.

Mama Smurf said:
- There are frequent arguments amongst pundits over whether Lampard and Gerrard can play together, because they're such similar players. An attacking and holding player are not the same, and in fact compliment each other perfectly, so these arguments shouldn't exist if Lampard is holding

Wrong again.

Mama Smurf said:
- On the same lines, you yourself point out they alternate roles for England, which you wouldn't do if one was attacking and one holding, you'd keep them in their best positions. But as they play the same position, they have to swap

What? Seriously what the hell? "they alternate roles, but you wouldn't do that if one was defending and one was attacking....and they're similar players but they still compliment eachother". :lol I feel embarassed for you even trying to form this argument, falling apart before it leaves your fingers.

Mama Smurf said:
- Lampard not only outscores Gerrard, he outscores the vast majority of strikers. 4th top scorer in the Premiership this year, top for his club, exactly the same the year before. Dismiss this as a club thing if you like, but I've already shown he scores for England just as much.

Incorrect. Again!

Mama Smurf said:
- When Lampard plays without Gerrard for England, for whatever reason, do they pick another attacking midfielder to replace Gerrard? Afterall, Lampard's holding, you wouldn't put another holding player in. Except....they do! Because Lampard's attacking!

See above.

Mama Smurf said:
- I have support from another poster, whereas you seem to be fighting a lone battle

What is this the freaking playground? Get out.

Mama Smurf said:
If this doesn't convince you, you're just being stubborn and refusing to admit you're wrong. You'll say the same back to me I'm sure, but you really have no argument. If Lampard is a holding midfielder then NO ONE is an attacking midfielder.

The fact is, you're not arguing with me here, you're disputing real selections and tactics made by Sven. He puts Lampard in the hole, which might be out of position for him, but then Sven has done that a lot. If you can't settle on that fact then stay away from me. Your failure to even construct an argument with facts is appalling.

You think Lampard is better attacking, well fair enough. I think Gerrard is better. But don't try and dispute fact and real selection policy, it's embarassing.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
How about we just wait till England play their games, then we can dispute over where Gerrard and Lampard are playing in the formation.

Mama Smurf

Dedalus said:
What does goal ratio have to do with this argument? If either one of them were to play up front it would be as a supporting striker, Owen is the goalscorer.

Ermm....so? What does Owen have to do with this argument at all? Goalscoring has a lot to do with this argument, as the argument is whether Lampard is a holding midfielder or not. Holding midfielders don't outscore attacking midfielders, yet Lampard outscores Gerrard.

Selective arguments ftl I'm afraid. Lampard also drops deep if Cole is playing so this is a null point.

I don't think I've ever seen Joe Cole play in an England diamond formation, so you must be talking about a 4-4-2. In which case you're still wrong, Lampard is just as attacking if Cole is playing.

Again, goalscoring rate equates to the position you play? Not on discussion here kiddo.

Ermm...yes? Are you seriously trying to tell me that I can't use the amount of goals someone scores, especially in comparison to someone else who you claim is more attacking, to illustratewhether or not they're an attacking or holding player?

That's the whole freaking point! Get the pacifier out of your mouth and try to read the words and not what you want them to mean eh?

No, that isn't the whole freaking point. The point we're arguing is you said Lampard is a holding player, I said he's not:

"Lampard is a holding player and feels most comfortable there." - you

"Did you just tell me Lampard is a holding player?" - me

"Yes you read correctly." - you

"Since Euro 2004 Lampard has been the solid holding player." - you again

"Carrick is a holding player. If Lampard was a holding player, there wouldn't be a problem playing him and Gerrard together." - me

"But it's a simple fact, for England Lampard has always been a holding player at his best." - you

"He's a midfielder, but for England he plays a holding role mate, get over yourself." - you again

"Dig up every game Lampard has played for England and you'll find Sven has put him in the hole." - you again again

You then decide, "Oh shit, he's proving me wrong, I better change my argument from saying Lampard is a holding player to saying Lampard and Gerrard alternate between attacking and holding play."

Erm...no. I claimed Lampard plays in the hole for England and can do a better job than Gerrard in that position. The whole point of saying that was because of conjecture that Gerrard could play up front. It's my opinion that Gerrard is better, you feel otherwise so stop touting yourself as Lord and Ruler of the Football Knowledge.

I better include what you're talking about here, or it'll be confusing: "You claim Lampard is a holding midfielder, and Gerrard is attacking" is what I said to get that response.

So first of all, let's see which part's a fallacy. Did you say Lampard is a holding midfielder? "Lampard is a holding player and feels most comfortable there." Yes you did. Now maybe you made a mistake and didn't meant to say that. So I ask "Did you just tell me Lampard is a holding player?". You confirm "Yes you read correctly." So that's one point down, you did indeed say Lampard is a holding midfielder.

Now Gerrard. "They (me: talking about Gerrard and Owen) played a lot of club football together with Gerrard playing as an attacking midfielder to link up play." So you've also said Gerrard is an attacking midfielder, at least some of the time. So, how exactly is it a fallacy?

Again, wtf? When were we ever talking about goalscoring ratio? Owen is the goalscorer, and even if Gerrard goes up front it won't be as the main striker it'd be as a linkup player. Seems you don't know much about positional play afterall. Learn to read too.

Attacking midfielders score more goals than holding midfielders, if they're any good anyway. If Gerrard is an attacking midfielder, yet Lampard outscores him, it means one of two things. Either Gerrard is a crap attacking midfielder (which I don't think anyone would claim and you've already said he isn't) or Lampard is also an attacking midfielder.

It's very relevant. I don't understand the Owen thing at all, we're talking about whether or not Lampard is a holding midfielder, not who England's main goalscorer is.

You're right, I should have been more specific (though it is funny that you're quite happy to go ahead and talk about goalscoring when you've got me in the wrong, but apparently it's not relevant when I have a point over you). It's true that Lampard has outscored Gerrard internationally (both on ratio and total, despite Gerrard playign more games), and last season Lampard outscored Gerrard domestically, but yes, Gerrard outscored him this season.

I do feel my point remains though, given that Gerrard scored 7 of his goals in 4 games against the worst opposition imaginable due to having to go through the very earliest Champions League qualifiers. Just the fact that Gerrard scored 7 in 4 tells us how crap they were, so if you take away the piss easy games, then Lampard's on top again.

No need to though if you think I'm just trying to swing things in my favour, that would still just eb a point to Gerrard against at least a couple for Lampard. And even if Gerrard's 23 were all against decent opposition (which they aren't), the fact that Lampard got 20 and was at least within range of him shoudl tell us they're both attacking midfielders.

Even after agreeing that they alternate? It's not always Lampard.

This is in reference to the diamond and Gerrard going to the left and Lampard to the front.

I agreed that Lampard and Gerrard alternate in a 4-4-2. Not in a diamond. They will find themselves in different positions, like any team does in any game regardless of formation, but they won't specifically alternate their position. When playing the diamond, Gerrard plays left, Lampard plays top, Beckham right, a holding player (King or Carrick usually) plays at the back.

This is about me saying Lampard and Gerrard are similar players, and that a holding player and an attacking player compliment each other perfectly.

Ok, first one. Gerrard and Lampard being similar players. I don't even know how you can say this is wrong. They both score a hell of a lot of goals a season from central midfield for their clubs. They both take their clubs free kicks. They both like to burst forward from midfield at every opportunity. They both have great shots, and great passes. They're both better offensively than defensively.

They have slight differences, as you'd expect as they aren't clones. I think Gerrard has the better long range shot. But I think Lampard is the better goal scorer. I think Gerrard is the better defensively. I think Lampard is better at the little touches around the box. Both are still good at all these things I've just mentioned, but one is slightly better than the other.

Regardless, they're extremely similar players. That's why they're alternated.

Secondly, you said that an attacking player and holding player don't compliment each other perfectly. I just...I don't know what to say. Keane and Scholes. Lampard and Makelele. Carrick and Jenas. Gerrard and Alonso. How can you possibly claim that? There are other ways to play, if you so desire, but to say that a holding player and an attacking player in central midfield don't compliment each other perfectly is just ignoring one of the basic traits of football.

What? Seriously what the hell? "they alternate roles, but you wouldn't do that if one was defending and one was attacking....and they're similar players but they still compliment eachother". :lol I feel embarassed for you even trying to form this argument, falling apart before it leaves your fingers.

Wait...what? This needs to be broken down, I think you're very confused. Yes, they alternate roles, we're together so far. Which you wouldn't do if one was attacking and one holding...I would hope we could both agree on that one. And they're similar players...yes, as I've said they are, which is why you alternate them rather than keeping them in seperate positions. But where the hell did you get that I said they compliment each other from? Are you talking about this:

"There are frequent arguments amongst pundits over whether Lampard and Gerrard can play together, because they're such similar players. An attacking and holding player are not the same, and in fact compliment each other perfectly, so these arguments shouldn't exist if Lampard is holding"

?

If so, you didn't get what I'm saying at all. I was saying Lampard and Gerrard are similar...and IF they were attacking and holding they would compliment each other perfectly, but they're not, which is why the arguments exist.

I can't believe you managed to think that "an attacking and holding player are not the same, in fact they compliment each other perfectly" was referring to Lampard and Gerrard when I'd JUST said that they're similar players (and therefore not attacking and holding).

Incorrect. Again!

This is just the Gerrard/Lampard goal scoring thing we've been over.

See above.

This is about how when Gerrard can't play they don't bring in another attacking player as they should if Lampard is holding, they bring in a holding player.

I'm trying to see above...but I'm not sure what you're referring to.

What is this the freaking playground? Get out.

Dismiss it if you like, I think showing others are of my opinion while no one seems to be of yours is a point in my favour.

The fact is, you're not arguing with me here, you're disputing real selections and tactics made by Sven. He puts Lampard in the hole, which might be out of position for him, but then Sven has done that a lot. If you can't settle on that fact then stay away from me. Your failure to even construct an argument with facts is appalling.

If anyone hasn't contructed an argument, it's you. You keep telling me Lampard plays in the hole, but you don't have anything to back that up. I have lots to back mine up.

You think Lampard is better attacking, well fair enough. I think Gerrard is better. But don't try and dispute fact and real selection policy, it's embarassing.

I agree, no need to argue over who we think is better (though it could be a fun debate), I think either of them would do a good job.

We're arguing about a lot of things now. The main thing we're arguing though, the very heart of this argument, is whether or not Lampard is a holding midfielder. You can go back through the thread and look for yourself, you said outright that he is, it was not until later on that you started arguing that you meant he sometimes plays there for England and alternates with Gerrard, which STILL doesn't make Lampard a holding midfielder, it just means he's forced to play there sometimes as Gerrard is because they're both attacking midfielders and can't both spend the whole game around the opposition's penalty area.

This is getting so long, can we please break it down to a few important points? Fell free to add yor own if you think I'm missing any:

- You said Lampard is a holding midfielder, I said he's not.

- You then say Lampard and Gerrard alternate, I've never disputed that.

- Saying that Gerrard and Lampard alternate in no way backs up your point that Lampard is a holding midfielder, if anything it goes against it, because you wouldn't have a holding player go forward and an attacking player holding. It'd be like telling Carrick to play behind the attack while Jenas defends, no one would do it.

I think those are probably the three main points. Please, I beg you, don't pretend that the argument isn't about whether or not Lampard is a holding midfielder. That is the heart of it. You can follow it through the thread. If you think the argument is whether or not Sven alternates him with Gerrard, then there is no argument, because that is absolutely true and I don't deny it, so there would be no one to argue with.

psycho_snake

Dedalus, please just stop. You're just way off track. Go into the official football thread and ask wether lampard plays as a holding midfielder and I guarantee you everyone will say no. Id like you to find one person who watches England and Chelsea play regularly and see if any of them think lampard is a holding midfielder. Your wrong mate. If you really think that lampard feels most comfortable playing in a holding midfield position, you really dont know anything about him.

Dedalus said:
Look at Chelsea, where you yourself that lampard plays a more attacking role. Between lampard and makelele its lampard who scores more goals and thats because he's a bloody attacking midfielder and because makelele is a holding midfielder. one has the license to go up and support the attack whilst one has to stay back help the defense and thats why attacking midfielders score more.

Are you kidding me!? So according to the way you're thinking a defender should have as many goals as a sriker because position doesnt have anything to do with how many goals you can score?

Dedalus

Mama Smurf said:
If anyone hasn't contructed an argument, it's you. You keep telling me Lampard plays in the hole, but you don't have anything to back that up. I have lots to back mine up.

I don't see any debate except "I'm right, you're wrong." and "My crew is bigger than your crew, lolz!"

Mama Smurf said:
We're arguing about a lot of things now. The main thing we're arguing though, the very heart of this argument, is whether or not Lampard is a holding midfielder. You can go back through the thread and look for yourself, you said outright that he is, it was not until later on that you started arguing that you meant he sometimes plays there for England and alternates with Gerrard, which STILL doesn't make Lampard a holding midfielder, it just means he's forced to play there sometimes as Gerrard is because they're both attacking midfielders and can't both spend the whole game around the opposition's penalty area.

This is getting so long, can we please break it down to a few important points? Fell free to add yor own if you think I'm missing any:

- You said Lampard is a holding midfielder, I said he's not.

- You then say Lampard and Gerrard alternate, I've never disputed that.

- Saying that Gerrard and Lampard alternate in no way backs up your point that Lampard is a holding midfielder, if anything it goes against it, because you wouldn't have a holding player go forward and an attacking player holding. It'd be like telling Carrick to play behind the attack while Jenas defends, no one would do it.

I think those are probably the three main points. Please, I beg you, don't pretend that the argument isn't about whether or not Lampard is a holding midfielder. That is the heart of it. You can follow it through the thread. If you think the argument is whether or not Sven alternates him with Gerrard, then there is no argument, because that is absolutely true and I don't deny it, so there would be no one to argue with.

I seriously cannot be arsed to reason with this. You're reading selectively and being rather childish and inflexible about it too. Maybe I should've been more explicit in the original post, who knows.

I'm resigned to the fact that you can't reason like this. A pub with a few pints then maybe it'd go a bit smoother, but not here I think. But we'll see where Gerrard and Lampard play this summer, I have a pretty good idea.

Psycho_snake said:
Are you kidding me!? So according to the way you're thinking a defender should have as many goals as a sriker because position doesnt have anything to do with how many goals you can score?

The article that started this. Basically, Sven thinks Gerrard could play as supporting striker (note, no mention of Lampard). Mama Smurf thinks Lampard would do better, to which I counter that Sven plays Lampard in the hole. The role in question is as supporting striker, ie. not a goalscorer but someone for linkup play. Therefore, goalscoring talent does not a linkup player make. Dig?

Mama Smurf

Dedalus said:
I don't see any debate except "I'm right, you're wrong." and "My crew is bigger than your crew, lolz!"

Except the goals ratio, overall goals, alternating the players when you wouldn't if one was holding and one attacking...

I seriously cannot be arsed to reason with this. You're reading selectively and being rather childish and inflexible about it too. Maybe I should've been more explicit in the original post, who knows.

Yes, you should have been more explicit than "Lampard is a holding player and feels most comfortable there". That's really vague.

I'm resigned to the fact that you can't reason like this. A pub with a few pints then maybe it'd go a bit smoother, but not here I think. But we'll see where Gerrard and Lampard play this summer, I have a pretty good idea.

And what will where the play in the summer have to do with whether Lampard is a holding player or not? He may have to play in that position if Sven decides Gerrard should play as a second striker, but he'll still be an attacking player playing in a holding position. Rooney played on the wing for months for United, but no one would have call Rooney a winger. He was a striker playng on the wing.

Besides, if Gerrard plays up with Owen, then Lampard will still play attacking midfield, as with Gerrard up front Carrick will come in as the holding midfielder, freeing Lampard up.

Hooker

Fuck this England shit in here, make a Lampard/Gerrard circle jerk thread and continue there. It's not like England will get anywhere far... :)D)

Ryck

Dedalus said:
Lampard is a holding player and feels most comfortable there.
After all the back and forths this is what it comes down to.... ^^^^ that statement is laughably incorrect, and is the reason all this started... you were wrong stop trying to bend shit around to make it seem like you weren't. Yeah maybe Sven played him there but HE IS NOT A HOLDING PLAYER AND IS NOT MORE COMFORTABLE PLAYING THERE.

Dedalus

Ryck said:
After all the back and forths this is what it comes down to.... ^^^^ that statement is laughably incorrect, and is the reason all this started... you were wrong stop trying to bend shit around to make it seem like you weren't. Yeah maybe Sven played him there but HE IS NOT A HOLDING PLAYER AND IS NOT MORE COMFORTABLE PLAYING THERE.

The debate was over a few posts back.

so who hopes England play Serbia and Monte at some point just to see the 2 giant strikers. Serbia wins in height, but England wins in... lankyness yay

Ryck

MrPing1000 said:
so who hopes England play Serbia and Monte at some point just to see the 2 giant strikers. Serbia wins in height, but England wins in... lankyness yay

I just hope to see England play Germany at some point...

ElyrionX

:lol

Lampard is a holding midfielder?

:lol

You were wrong in making that statement, Dedalus, so just be a man and have the balls to admit that you were wrong and we can continue with this thread.

Jesus Christ, Lampard a holding midfielder?!

Hooker

MrPing1000 said:
Absolutely not, that means we're out :p

Daigoro

so... FUCK YEAH!

WC06! holy shit. i am too excited.

i looked over at the calendar a few days ago and realised how close it actually is. 4 years has been a long wait huh?

im going to see the USMNT play its last game on home soil (in E. Hartford, CT.) before their first game on the 16th.

soccer is just about the only time i ever have any semi-patriotic feelings. i know our group is going to be rough, but i remain optimistic.

goochborgetti.jpg

i will watch every damn game of this WC live and DVR the ones i cant.

i have love for many other soccer nations as well, as long as they arent playing us.

US-Soccer-Dont-tread-on-me.gif

Hooker

Daigoro said:
i looked over at the calendar a few days ago and realised how close it actually is. 4 years has been a long wait huh?
Make that 8 for us :(

They'd better fucking make it up

Daigoro

Shinobi said:
Snakes on a ball?

exactly.

Hooker said:
Make that 8 for us :(

They'd better fucking make it up

yeah, i can imagine having the country you support not qualifying would dampen the excitement. :/

good luck to you though! (just not at the expense of us!)

Hooker

Dennis Bergkamp scored the winning goal in the 89th minute of the game against Argentina in the quarter final.

The guy screaming, is Jack van Gelder, a TV/Radio commentator here in Holland. And he went emotional when he saw it happening :)

Alucard

Banned
I wish I had gotten into following the EPL a little sooner so I could have seen more of Bergkamp. He's probably my favourite player, even surpassing Henry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom