• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FIFA World Cup 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Firstly, Germany is going to lose against Japan tomorrow! Hopefully Nakamura-San is going to score.

I hate Lehmann so much >.<! C'mon people, Olli Kahn is the only #1!

Wes

venison crêpe
I don't see Germany going too far to be honest. Ballack and Kahn/Lehmann are the only notorious members of the side and Germany's strength for me from past competitions has been the unity of the squad.

With the trouble with Klinsmann at the time the only way I see Germany doing well is by toping their group very convincingly and getting the nation behind them early on. Otherwise I see them getting knocked out in the second round or quarter finals.

Blablurn

Again, watch out for Japan folks XD

@Fantasy Football: I think it's quite boring to play these games.

I don't see Germany going too far to be honest. Ballack and Kahn/Lehmann are the only notorious members of the side and Germany's strength for me from past competitions has been the unity of the squad.

You're so right!

Hayami

Banned
Blablurn said:
Again, watch out for Japan folks XD

@Fantasy Football: I think it's quite boring to play these games.

You're so right!

Give it a try. Takes like 10 minutes to setup your team.

Blablurn

No, thanks XD

olli5wt.jpg

This rocks ^^

Shinobi

Blablurn said:
Firstly, Germany is going to lose against Japan tomorrow! Hopefully Nakamura-San is going to score.

I hate Lehmann so much >.<! C'mon people, Olli Kahn is the only #1!

Jens Lehman plays for Arsenal.

Oliver Kahn is a piece of shit.

Lehman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> my ass hairs >>>>>>>> Kahn

Blablurn said:

Gotta admit though, that's pretty fucking bad ass...

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Wes said:
HYou can never wirte off the germans. I've got a feeling that they're going to do very well. They may not have been too impressive in friendlies, but Brazil were shite before the 2002 world cup and they went on to win it. Germay also have the massive advantage of playing in their own country.

No one actually believes that they can win it other than germans, everyone is counting on Brazil, England and other big nations to win it because they look a lot stronger, but that could be a disadvantage to those teams. Brazil only have an amazing strikeforce, the rest of their team can be taken care of failry easily by some nations because their defense and midfield isnt anything special. Brazil seem to be a lot like France. In 2002 everyone kept going on about France because they had an amazing team, especially their upfront which consisted of zidane, trezeguet and henry, but they were knocked out of the group stages. Whilst i don t think Brazil will make that mistake, I dont think that they will win it. They're going to buy into their own hype a little and that will cause them to not try as hard.

England are not quite the same. Whilst everyone is expecting them to be a major force this year, I dont think that they will buy into their own hype because its been 40 years since we won the world cup and thats just embarassing, so the players know how important it is to try and win it. What i think will kock England out is their heavy reliance on Rooney to be fit. It stinks of desperation that we are still taking on a 20 year old who cant kick a ball for another 3 weeks. Brazil wouldnt do that if Ronaldinho got injured, Italy wouldnt do it if Totti got injured and thats because they ahve faith in their squad. For soem reason Sve thinks we cant do it without Rooney and whilst he does contribute a massive amount to the team, we have enougbquality in the squad to win it.

No one has put any sort of pressure on germany. Everyone looks at them and says that they;re not good enough, but Germany have surprised everyone in the past and youy should never write them off. No one expected them to anything in 2002 but they got to the finals. The same could very well happen here.

GC|Simon

Wes said:

In a few weeks you are going to know Podolski and Klose too. Because they are going to bomb first England, then the USA and then Brazil away. Just watch the match against Japan today. Then you will think: "Oh, Germany is on the best way to wind the world cup!" :D

Wes

venison crêpe
GC|Simon said:
In a few weeks you are going to know Podolski and Klose too. Because they are going to bomb first England, then the USA and then Brazil away. Just watch the match against Japan today. Then you will think: "Oh, Germany is on the best way to wind the world cup!" :D

I like your optimism and you may be right. They may score a lot of goals. Doesn't really help though when you usually let in more at the back anyway.

And as for England? 5-1. I rest my case.

Manics

Banned
Shinobi said:
Yeah, it's not like Italy's ever been familiar with choking...

If (when) the Azzurri chokes again, they'll probably use the embarassing Seire A match fixing investigation as the excuse.

That Bergkemp call is hilarious BTW. :lol

The Azzurri don't choke. They just have a difficult time getting up for games after slamming the entourage of groupies that follow them around from game to game. They must lead the soccer world in terms of scoring with hot chicks. This is the reason they haven't won anything in a while.

Hayami said:
FANTASY FOOTBALL TIME!

MetroConnection has an awesome WC fantasy game. It's free, you can win a shitload of pounds, and it's got a very cool interface. http://fantasyfootball.metro.co.uk.

Use code 109560-17812 to join the GAF league.

If you're fan of these games, you must get onto Hattrick. I'm so hooked on this game! No real players or anything, but you really feel you're in total control of your team. For example, you can choose a training type and train young players (which you can pull from your youth squad) and then place them on the trasfer market for serious dough, which you can then use to build your squad, or perhaps build a bigger stadium. There's a lot of depth in the game -- and it's oh so rewarding when you win a league match and better yet, your series and get promoted to the next one where your real life opponents get tougher. Plus, since you have to join within your country there's a real sense of national pride because there's ongoing World Cup and U20 World Cup tournaments where the teams are run by an actual person (who you can elect) on top of their own and representing players are selected from leagues all over the world!

Seriously, if you're a soccer/football fan, I can't recommend this game enough. It's awesome!

Oh, and did I mention it's free! :)

Wes

venison crêpe
Why is it that most of the goals scored against England recently are all unstoppable wonder goals?!

I watched the 2nd half of Germany-Japan. Japan played VERY well, I was impressed. They moved quickly and could have won that game.

From there I turned to watch England-Hungary. That game wasnt as fun.

Brasil played some random Swiss team today and won 8-0. They kept cutting to that game to show the goals, and they were nice, but come on, why not play a real team?

Saw England play this morning, and was not convinced by what I saw. I'm hoping the fluency of our football will improve through the tournament; today there seemed to be too many people not knowing their roles properly, and getting in one anothers way. Plus I find it hard to stomach this English attitude, which permeates the country and seeps out onto the pitch, which is one of superiority taken for granted, and laziness. As if, being the better team on paper, we can simply turn up, and expect that the other side has read the script, and want to lose to such a sexy unstoppable force as English football.

I'm probably being very harsh; I'm certainly not an expert in football commentary. It's just this 'omg wonderpass' mentality which I believe was on show early in the first half. As soon as the ball entered Hungarys half it seemed our players were expecting to unlock their compact defence with a few casual flicks - and invariably the first one was rubbish and would be cut out by Hungarys no-nonsense understanding of teamplay in football. And then they'd break on us, again with some fairly basic, but very fluent football. I'd have preferred England to have put the hard work in to establish some possession in these areas, before expecting the scoreline to change through superhuman feats of skill.

Anyway I am pleased by the eventual scoreline :) Phenomenal goal from Joe Cole to Crouch, and some great deliveries from Beckham. I just wish I could tell whether it was just me, or the players as well, who have been overdosing on breathless media articles about how we're "going all the way this year" ... >_<

B-B-Bomba! said:
Anyway I am pleased by the eventual scoreline :) Phenomenal goal from Joe Cole to Crouch, and some great deliveries from Beckham. I just wish I could tell whether it was just me, or the players as well, who have been overdosing on breathless media articles about how we're "going all the way this year" ... >_<

They won 3-1 and played some inventive football, what more do you want.

Also drop Hargreaves please Sven.

arne

GC|Simon said:

When they play, Frings and Neuville can't be dismissed for their contributions so easily. Neuville is probably the best spot kicker on the team, if not equal to Ballack.

Still, Kahn deserves to be #1 in net still from what I've seen
and as long as he doesn't grow back that mullet

GC|Simon

Germany - Japan 2:2

Urg ... hm ... Japan is going to reach the final in the World Cup. And then they lose against Germany :)

How played England?

tirant

OMG! These Japanese can play very good football!!! I was impressed :)

I don't think Germany would get past quarters.

tirant

Stevie Gerrard said:
I don't like Aragones but what was he supposed to do? There simply aren't many good Spanish strikers around, while there are plenty of top class midfielders. As for yesterday's game, surely Albelda, Senna and Fabregas aren't going to be his first choice midfield?

Spain has more quality strikers than England: Raul, F. Torres and Villa can be enough if you play with just one striker on the center, and two wings (Reyes, Joaquin, Luis Garcia...). But I think F. Morientes should have gone to Germany, too.

Reyes - David Villa - Luis Garcia
Raul
Senna - Cesc Fabregas - Albelda
Pernia - Sergio Ramos - Pablo - Puyol
Iker Casillas

Wes

venison crêpe
travisbickle said:
They won 3-1 and played some inventive football, what more do you want.

Also drop Hargreaves please Sven.

I thought Hargreaves did ok. He made some mistakes and one could say he didn't close down quick enough for the Hungary wonder goal but on a whole the side played much better in the second half and it could've been due to Hargreaves presence.

Carragher was my man of the match. He did well in that defensive midfielder roll, even though he hadn't played there for many years, then he fitted naturally in the right back roll for the second half.

My bet is Sven may try the 4-5-1 again against Jamaica, but this time trying Carrick out in that holding roll. From what I know he is a very good passer of the ball and if anything thats what we lacked with Carragher and Hargreaves in that role.

Personally I'd rather play the normal 4-4-2 with Crouch up front. I'm such a big fan of Crouch and I don't think he deserves the negative press he gets. Really happy he scored that goal last night. He causes so many problems for the defence with his height, and Walcott causes problems with his pace and the fact no-one knows anything about him.... it's going to be an interesting strike force for us in the world cup!

Shinobi

GC|Simon said:
Just watch the match against Japan today. Then you will think: "Oh, Germany is on the best way to wind the world cup!" :D

Good call. :lol Germany's defense was fucking atrocious on the second goal...they were lucky to tie it up.

Manics said:
The Azzurri don't choke. They just have a difficult time getting up for games after slamming the entourage of groupies that follow them around from game to game. They must lead the soccer world in terms of scoring with hot chicks. This is the reason they haven't won anything in a while.

:lol GTFO...Brazil's got more hot women then any country outside the United States, and half of them have AIDS! But their players still knock 'em up, get infected, and have STILL won five trophies!

I was happy to see England score an open play goal, as their previous three had all come from the dead ball. The Crouch goal was just superb...great turn and strike from him after some good setup play prior, and terrific running and moves by Cole. It wasn't a great game overall by England, but they certainly controled the play in the second half after a pretty medicore first half (save for the last ten minutes). Having said that, England's probably only walking away with a draw without Beckham's two free kicks. But hey, they all count.

Also nice to see my boy Theo take a crack at goal...it's important for a young player to not be afraid to take a shot, even if the angle isn't exactly condusive to one. He showed great pace just getting to that ball, which will obviously serve him well in the future.

And Wes makes a good point...seems half the goals scored against England the last year or so have been 30 yard bullets into the top corner of the net. :lol Robinson didn't even get a sniff on that goal yesterday.

Manics

Banned
Shinobi said:
Good call. :lol Germany's defense was fucking atrocious on the second goal...they were lucky to tie it up.

:lol GTFO...Brazil's got more hot women then any country outside the United States, and half of them have AIDS! But their players still knock 'em up, get infected, and have STILL won five trophies!

I never said the italian groupies were limited to italian women. They nail women from all over the world, brazilians included.

Shinobi said:
Are you joking or are you an ignorant? Hopefully your saying is a joke, because it is very far from truth.

Wes

venison crêpe
After hearing about Japans performance in Germany I had another look at the group which I was sure would be a Brazil / Croatia one-two.

I think this could be a very interesting group especially if the unlikely happens and Brazil were to lose a single match.

Groups C, D and E seem to be the most open of the 8.

Opinions?

skybaby

Afro Thunder said:
Are you joking or are you an ignorant? Hopefully your saying is a joke, because it is very far from truth.
Man, the amount of hatred and prejudice against Brazilians here is astounding...

Tyrael

Well, we should not, but there's retarded people anywhere. :)

Back on topic, Edmilson has been cut and Mineiro from Sao Paulo F.C. is going to replace him. Don't know if this was a really bad thing to happen...

Shinobi

GC|Simon said:
Erm ... wait up. The players in the defense were only the second choice. Wait up for the match against Columbia!

Oh well, in that case I won't be too hard on them. Yet.

Manics said:
I never said the italian groupies were limited to italian women. They nail women from all over the world, brazilians included.

:lol Every world class, highly paid athlete in the world can do that...that's hardly unique to Italian soccer players.

Afro Thunder said:

No, I'm perfectly serious. I got my info from Wikipedia!

...come on, look at the tone of the post. You'd have to be stiffer then a breadboard to think I wasn't kidding.

skybaby said:
Man, the amount of hatred and prejudice against Brazilians here is astounding...

:lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Wes said:
After hearing about Japans performance in Germany I had another look at the group which I was sure would be a Brazil / Croatia one-two.

I think this could be a very interesting group especially if the unlikely happens and Brazil were to lose a single match.
I'm very interested in the Japan vs Australia match, simply because well.. I'm from Australia and they've changed their game so much due to Hiddink. If anything, they play like the Dutch now but with a bit more power instead of the old school "lob up the field and hope for the best" style. Japan have a very good midfield full of confidence and Takahara is a machine when he wants to be - it's just that their defence is lacking when you breach it.

Brazil will either lose or draw a match before they get to the next stage. The other teams have nothing to lose when they do play Brazil and they're all very equal in terms of player's abilities so their own match-ups will be exciting to watch. This doesn't necessarily mean I dislike Brazil.. I've already tipped them to win the Cup alongside two other nations.

Croatia are a really big wildcard for me atm. They have good players but I haven't seem the national team play in a long while against a good side. Australia vs Croatia will be, in my mind, the defining match that will settle who qualifies for the 16 knock-outs stage. It's going to be so fucking awesome.. like a derby match.

Croatia will beat Brazil 3-2.
Croatia will tie with Japan 1-1
Croatia will beat Australia 1-0

BELIEVE

(Brasil will beat Australia 4-1. Poor Australia)

xabre

Banned
Japan seem to play to the occasion, they lose to Bulgaria and draw with Scotland at home then go ahead and nearly beat Germany away. That said, that German defence was utter junk in those two Japanese goals...they ain't going anywhere in this tournament playing like that. That game also shows Japan's lack of height at the back to be a vulnerability that could be telling.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
B-B-Bomba! said:
Saw England play this morning, and was not convinced by what I saw. I'm hoping the fluency of our football will improve through the tournament; today there seemed to be too many people not knowing their roles properly, and getting in one anothers way. Plus I find it hard to stomach this English attitude, which permeates the country and seeps out onto the pitch, which is one of superiority taken for granted, and laziness. As if, being the better team on paper, we can simply turn up, and expect that the other side has read the script, and want to lose to such a sexy unstoppable force as English football.
The first half was lacklustre. We would have actually been 2 - 0 up in the first half if Lampard scored the penalty and if Joe Cole's header bounced off the post and in. I'm not annoyed at lampard, he didnt do anything wrong when taking the penalty, Kiraly just did a very good job of saving it.

The second half was a much better performance by us. We scored 2 early goals, both from set pieces, which again highlight the importance of beckham. The haters who say that he should be replaced by someone else should shut up. Crossing may be the only thing that he's truly world class at, but without them we would be screwed. Against Hungary he provided the most chances thanks to his superb passing. Crouch got a late goal thanks to some superb work from the man thats slowly becoming my favourite england player, joe cole. I dont think people will remember the goal by Crouch though, that celebration of his is fucking hilarious.

I was actually happy to see Lampard miss the penalty, not because he's a chelsea player, but because we didnt deserve the penalty. Gerrard blatantly dived to get it and thats cheating. Now imagine if Hungary had done that, everyone be complaining about Hungary are cheats and how foreign players are ruining the game but its ok if gerrard does it and he wont be considered a cheat. ian Wright said that other teams do it so its ok if we do it, but thats not the problem. English are being hypocrits if they keep slamming Drogba for diving yet when someone like gerrard does it only one or two people say anything.

btw can someone pease make me an avatar of peter crouch's celebration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom