• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs at DriveClub developer Evolution, [UPDATE: 55 laid off (~50% of studio)]

Draft

funny-dog-coffee-fire-burning-comic.jpg
Haha. I'm sure once Sony realizes #Driveclub was a genre defining arcade style throwback masterpiece things will turn around.

Even ignoring the team's technical and logistical fuck-ups, I don't see how any other result would have greeted this game.

It seemed redundant from the get-go, and I still question why the game was green-lit to begin with.

5taquitos

If you still haven't done multiplayer on MotorStorm Apocalypse, you may want to soon based on that bit of news.
Not saying anything will happen but it's a good idea to do so.

I actually still need to grind out a few more ranks online for the platinum, I should get back on that.

nib95

Banned
Why a DriveClub 2 instead of just adding more cars, environments, modes and features to the DC we already have? They can always re-release DC+DLC-to-date as needed.

Driving games seem like perfect candidates to treat as a real platform rather than as isolated titles to sequelize. And there's nothing to stop companies from adding new features as well as overhauling existing ones with updates and patches.

I'm still trying to parse this news though. On its face it doesn't sound too bad but some here are reading this as pretty dire. Don't know what to think really.

Because I feel they could do a lot more with a fully fledged sequel, especially with regards to improving the graphics engine, weather effects and feature set.

Duxxy3

I don't want to sound against sony but they have been doing alot of layoffs lately, SSM get's their destiny clone shut down and an entire team shut down, evolution, sucker punch.

Time to bring Phil home. Shu is a lovable guy, but worldwide studios have really struggled under his watch.

Rembrandt

Banned
I figured they would get shut down, this isn't much better, but I hope they all land on their feet. I still remember them trying to claim the delay was because of the dynamic menu or some bullshit.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Time to bring Phil home. Shu is a lovable guy, but worldwide studios have really struggled under his watch.

people continue to laugh at the notion that first party has been struggling under his watch... i don't see how it can continue to be ignored.

Acosta

There goes any hope of seeing another Motorstorm (I didn't have much, mind you).

Sorry for all the layoff, hope they can find something soon.

Yoday

This could work pretty well for the game. It is already structured in a way that makes adding tracks and cars really easy. If they keep enough people to regularly release content packs and game updates, then there really isn't much need for a sequel. I guess it just depends on how well the content packs do for them. I also see the PS+ version becoming an entry level free to play version of the game with the rest of the on disc content being offered as content packs.

Because I feel they could do a lot more with a fully fledged sequel, especially with regards to improving the graphics engine, weather effects and feature set.
I guess I look to Warframe as an example of how much can be changed in a game purely through in-place patching and updates. That includes UI overhauls, engine work, and the introduction of major new features. Current gen seems to allow a lot more flexibility here and I love it.

But sure, if they need to scrap a lot and rebuild and its something that wouldn't be feasible through updates, then sure, a full-on sequel makes more sense.

madp0k

Hope those laid off find work soon

Will buy the shit out of season pass 2,3 & 4

I'll support evo for as long as they support DC

Duxxy3

people continue to laugh at the notion that first party has been struggling under his watch... i don't see how it can continue to be ignored.

The one area that can be said to have improved is studio japan, and even that can be traced back to moving Allan Becker from SSM to Japan.

It literally sounds like they are holding onto a few people so they can launch the PS+ version and flesh out the season pass and after that they will close the studio down. It's a shame but Evolution fucked up too many times, their last major success was probably the original Motorstorm on PS3, since then it has been a downwards trend and DriveClub has been botched from the beginning with a year delay and then all of the launch difficulties. Sony have been patient with them, too patient if anything.

eFKac

I very much like the idea of supporting DriveClub long term as a service, I don't think we need DriveClub 2.
DriveClub of March is a very different game than DriveClub of October.
Let the rest of the team work on something very different - Motorstorm, Open World racer, Kart Racer, whatever.

One DriveClub with strong post launch support is enough.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Saw it coming as soon as the delay from PS4 launch occurred. Became a surefire thing when the launch was a shitfest of rolling negative PR.

Still think Sony made the absolute wrong choice in saving/securing Evolution over Studio Liverpool (and here we are at the end of that choice), but best of luck to those now jobhunting.

Eternia

I don't want to sound against sony but they have been doing alot of layoffs lately, SSM get's their destiny clone shut down and an entire team shut down, evolution, sucker punch.
Feels like their internal studios are trending towards being extremely safe and hits focused. The more interesting/experimental projects are from external studios that they happen to own/bought IPs for.

He left in 2007 or 2008, since then London, Evo and Cambridge were shrunk, Liverpool and BigBig were closed.

To be fair to Sony. Most publishers have bailed out of the UK market. Its basically just MS now.

I am surprised SCEE hasnt tried to open a studio in central or eastern europe or Sweden though. Plenty of talent in those areas. All their eggs where in the UK dev scene basket and it fell apart when the economy turned.

Ding-Ding

Fuck it. Not good at all.

Can ony hope that those left without a chair when the music stopped, finds one again quickly (hope its nice and comfy when they find it).

As for those that are left, can only hope the 'service' carries on beyond the current season pass. I know that I would buy day one (worth every penny thus far)

nib95

Banned
They have been doing this with patches.

Incremental updates to the engine. But with a sequel they could really let loose on the consoles capabilities. This is their first game on the PS4, and as much as Driveclub looks incredible, I'd imagine they could still improve the engine a hell of a lot more with a sequel.

I'm not sure "you're doing maintenance work on DriveClub forever" actually is better than just shutting down the studio to be honest.

Did they say it's permanent?

Could just be focusing on DC for the meantime, I don't get the sense from that article that they aren't making any more games.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
They have been doing this with patches.

You can't straight up improve a graphics engine through patches. You can add minor changes but not what a full development cycle would see.

very unfortunate evo studios used to be one of sonys major studios.

SerTapTap

Not good news, though focusing work on Driveclub isn't the worst fate I guess. Time for a second Season Pass I guess after this one?

I have no idea what focusing on a game as a service would mean. Guessing just filling out the season pass?

They've been saying it's a service for months. It's just extra content like the season pass, the added free updates like the photo mode, new tracks, replays and so on. I think people assuming microtransactions are off the mark. New cars and shit, sure. But DC isn't designed for consumable microtransactions or anything like that.

You can't straight up improve a graphics engine through patches. You can add minor changes but not what a full development cycle would see.

very unfortunate evo studios used to be one of sonys major studios.

They've been bumping up the feature set for sure though. New engine, probably not but uh...not like it needs one, mostly just specific things need sprucing up like some of the foliage, water, some aliasing here and there

Nah Liverpool was also Yoshida. Wish there was some backlash against this. First it was no Wipeout and now it's no Motorstorm.
Wipeout sold like shit, what do you expect Shu to do?

I feel really bad for Evolution because I love Drive Club but obviously the launch fuckup was their doing and Motorstorm 3 didn't do well and there were always going to be repercussions coming.

Lemondish

Layoffs happen to almost every studio following the release of a title. While the fact that these are happening so much longer after release may have a lot to do with their focus lately on improving DriveClub's feature set with new things, which would just delay the inevitable, it still seems to be a little break from the normal 'ship and layoff' tendency most studios go through between projects. I think I agree with him/her, though. Focusing on DC as a service sounds more like they'll have a lot more staff safe than we normally would in a traditional period of transition between projects. Nothing about this sounds overly concerning, and since DriveClub is absolutely fantastic, I honestly can't wait to see what they're able to do with it over an extended period.

Of course, it's a Sony first party studio, so layoffs here are equivalent to MEGATON ANNOUNCEMENTS these days...

Top Bottom