• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs at DriveClub developer Evolution, [UPDATE: 55 laid off (~50% of studio)]

spwolf

I have no idea what focusing on a game as a service would mean. Guessing just filling out the season pass?

Ugh. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

edit: glad to hear the studio isn't shutting down though.

means they dont have another game in the pipeline... so basically i would say these are "planned".

mclem

With innovative new features that have been patched in like replays and photo mode. I wonder what other great new services they will work on.

While this is a... less than helpful comment, I do wonder if they prioritised those specific features because they'd lend themselves to word-of-mouth and viral promotion?

It's a real shame that there are cuts, and hopefully they aren't too substantial.

If done properly, like they have been doing it so far, Driveclub as a service is the best thing that could happen to that game (at least over the next couple of years). The engine seems really robust so hopefully it will allow for substantial developments and not just a skeleton crew turning out more events on the same tracks.
Adding a couple of tour events and some cars each month as part of the season pack but also coupled with new locations, ideally encapsulating new types of racing (Driveclub: Rally, Driveclub: Cities) every 6months - a year would be amazing and I'd continue paying for it.

Ding-Ding

Secretly. I am hoping that they are working on cities. I will pay good money for a city DLC.

Doing cities from scratch sounds like too much of an undertaking after staff are laid off

Even new country's added via DLC sounds like a longshot. More like new tracks in already present locations (so assets are reused) is the absolute best case scenario in this shitty turn of events

Did we ever get the full story on what happened with Liverpool?

My understanding was that they had proposed numerous projects after Wipeout HD, each of which were shot down, and then after Wipeout 2048 flopped, they were finally given the opportunity to work on a new PS4 IP (a third-person stealth action game). But then the game was canned and the studio was shuttered.

I just want some light shed on the situation, since most people seem to think they were closed because they insisted on doing Wipeout after Wipeout to increasingly diminishing returns, when in fact they tried their damnedest to branch out just to be vetoed until it was too late.

Griss

So Motorstorm joins WipEout on the Sony scrapheap, eh? Fuck. Horrible day.

I'm sure that part is next, sadly :(

Skeleton crew to finish up support of DriveClub and fulfill their PS+ promise, then it's probably lights out.

I hope not, but we see this kind of thing happen far too often.

I get the awful feeling that this means finishing off the season pass then shutting down.

Can't see how it could mean anything else. The key people at a studio are the ones who get a new project up and running. The project lead, the lead programmer, the creative director (or equivalent on a racing game) and the top programmers, artists, audio people etc. Very few of those people are needed to create DLC. They'll just gut the company, have their medium-salary content production people churn out cars and tracks, and then when it's all said and done wind the whole thing up. They'd have to wind it up, because they won't be making another game. If they were making another game they wouldn't lay people off, they'd be having the heads of development working on that while the content people made DLC for DriveClub.

'Tis the end of Evolution, I fear.

hawk2025

Can't see how it could mean anything else. The key people at a studio are the ones who get a new project up and running. The project lead, the lead programmer, the creative director (or equivalent on a racing game) and the top programmers, artists, audio people etc. Very few of those people are needed to create DLC. They'll just gut the company, have their medium-salary content production people churn out cars and tracks, and then when it's all said and done wind the whole thing up. They'd have to wind it up, because they won't be making another game. If they were making another game they wouldn't lay people off, they'd be having the heads of development working on that while the content people made DLC for DriveClub.

It's a little worse than that, IMO.

The new tracks planned for the season pass have already been delivered. The stuff left are mostly cars and tours, which takes work, of course, but doesn't require any new design or anything of the sort.

Sorry, as much as I want to believe that there will be a Season Pass 2 and a slew of new content, I'm preparing for the worst. God, I hope I'm wrong. Fuck.

I have no idea what focusing on a game as a service would mean. Guessing just filling out the season pass?

Ugh. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

edit: glad to hear the studio isn't shutting down though.

adding cars into their engine after Poly models them for GT7 since it's a long ways off?

It's sad news, as they specifically said Driveclub content, so no new games, at least for the time being...

The AAA model has been struggling, while other companies are making tons of money with much less development effort, so making a new platform each time with sequels seems like to big and risky of an investment.

On the bright side, well get more content for not so much money, if the season pass price gets to be the standard. It's the first season pass I bought, and it's worth every penny, and it's only halfway through!

Driveclub offers a great platform, which seems very optimized. All that's happening on the screen without a hitch to the framerate is something to be admired. Lots of stuff can be done with it, and I believe it can be expanded beyond what DC currently offers (think Blood Dragon for Farcry 3), so we may even get a "Motorstorm" kind of DLC. I'd buy that in a second.

Anyway, best of luck for all the Evolutions studios employees, I hope they can get a new job soon

Wouldn't it mean another season pass? What's the point of restructuring the studio to run DriveClub as a service until July. When they've already described it as having a service model before now.

This finish the season pass then shut down talk lacks any logic.

SThe project lead, the lead programmer, the creative director (or equivalent on a racing game) and the top programmers, artists, audio people etc. Very few of those people are needed to create DLC.
That depends upon the DLC doesn't it? New features (replays, game modes, etc.) could still keep people busy and keep the game improving, alongside new cars and tracks and tours.

I read "games as service" as a platform for continual development. If its just a core game with some DLC packs every few months that just sounds like business as usual with any game.

DevilFox

The only great game on that list is The Last of Us, the rest is mediocre at best.

The person you quoted has a point.

Because Metascore says so? The only one I didn't play there is Freedom Wars and I respectfully disagree. Mediocre at best for Driveclub, in particular, sounds crazy.

hawk2025

Wouldn't it mean another season pass? What's the point of restructuring the studio to run DriveClub as a service until July. When they've already described it as having a service model before now.

This finish the season pass then shut down talk lacks any logic.

Because at this point we can't parse out the PR from the reality.

"Restructuring the studio" might be the best case scenario of new and continued support for Driveclub (please, please be this) or it might be stripping it down to a skeleton crew to deliver what was already planned.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
The only great game on that list is The Last of Us, the rest is mediocre at best.

The person you quoted has a point.

You know that you're just projecting your personal opinion in saying that the games are mediocre. Gravity Rush for example is heavily regarded here on GAF, and Tearway is awesome. But let me guess, they don't count because they are on Vita?

And let's not forget that games like Haze, Lair, Genji, MAG and others were greenlit when Harrison was the boss.

I agree that things are more problematic with Shu as the head of WWS, but i think that putting every problem on his back is a overreaction.

If the games aren't great that's the team fault too. Common, there's lot's of senior professionals on the studios, on the different areas. They should know how to evaluate their work.

And being realistic, Sony needs to make a profit on the projects. It sucks, but they can't keep founding project and paying staff to work on something that just bleeds money.

DR2K

Banned
I wish I could feel bad for this studio, but they fucked up royally with the launch of the game and to this day have server issues. On the flip side all Sony will have left at this rate is Naughty Dog.

Endo Punk

And this is their inhouse team, can't imagine what will go down between Sony and RAD. It's very unlikely the game performed as well as Sony wanted, either Sony and RAD will part ways or RAD start being conservative and partner with Sony for download games, manageable games that will allow them to craft exciting and unique gameplay.

Empty

games like motorstorm and wipeout were so much of the diversity that made playstation so good for years. yosp is sucking all the life out of the brand with his management, i feel no enthusiasm to buy a ps4. without these kind of games it's just an xbox with a flashier design.

darkwing

I wish I could feel bad for this studio, but they fucked up royally with the launch of the game and to this day have server issues. On the flip side all Sony will have left at this rate is Naughty Dog.

you forgot PD, but after GT6 yikes

Gestault

I feel like it's going to be Project Gotham Racing all over again….

batswing.gif

I...hmm. I can never decide if this is worth doing, but as often as I see you bring up how much you appreciated the PGR games last gen, you sure didn't play them much.

games like motorstorm and wipeout were so much of the diversity that made playstation so good for years. yosp is sucking all the life out of the brand with his management, feel no enthusiasm to buy a ps4. without these kind of games it's just an xbox with a flashier design.
I feel like there's been a bit of a role reversal this gen, with most of the interesting, quirky new IP that once defined Playstation now being relegated to smaller digital titles, and the risky titles with bigger budgets like Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break now commonplace on the competition.

Last generation, it was the opposite (weird new IP being given bigger budgets and physical releases on PS3, while the more offbeat 1st party stuff was only on XBLA).

I...hmm. I can never decide if this is worth doing, but as often as I see you bring up how much you appreciated the PGR games last gen, you sure didn't play them much.
iy9aOtZZbSdKl.gif

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
How big was Evolution? Because the studio didn't seemed like it was huge.

I know that Driveclub didn't set the charts on fire, but the game seemed to be performing reasonably well. And with the recent updates the word of mouth was really great, some sites even reported on how the game was so much better.

I think that once the PS+ Edition got out (it can't be that far, can??) they would get some more sales and reach at least a break even point.

nib95

Banned

I shared a flat with 3 others in those days. So most of my 360 gaming was on my flat mates consoles.

I feel like there's been a bit of a role reversal this gen, with most of the interesting, quirky new IP that once defined Playstation now being relegated to smaller digital titles, and the risky titles with bigger budgets like Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break now commonplace on the competition.

Last generation, it was the opposite (weird new IP being given bigger budgets and physical releases on PS3, while the more offbeat 1st party stuff was only on XBLA).

iy9aOtZZbSdKl.gif

I don't think you know what risky means.

hawk2025

Great, this thread is now a fucking discussion on first party content and comparisons to other platforms.

How ridiculously tone-deaf.

nib95

Banned
Why would this prevent you using your own profile?

Because we level a lifed or tracked on their profiles and only one play through? Why would he sign out and I sign in just for the hell of it? I never cared for achievements or trophies so it never concerned me.

jett

D-Member
No, SCE Liverpool and BigBig were shuttered under Yoshida's watch.

It's becoming farcical now with these constant layoffs.

And yet "JapanStudio" continues on being all sorts of irrelevant. What's up with that. Why does that place even exist.

The writing was on the wall for Evolution though, they received a miraculous second chance after the MS3 deable, which wasn't their fault, but they screwed the pooch badly with Driveclub. Not just with a yearlong delay, but with the non-existence of the promised PS+ edition and the failure to provide basic online functionality for several weeks after launch, functionality that had been poised as being basic tenants of the game. There was no way they'd survive this.

Noobcraft

Anyone losing their jobs is bad news. Best of luck to those affected.

Maybe some of them will land a job at Playground Games, they're currently hiring.

Sad news, talented team, great bunch of guys/girls. Hopefully some new great games will continue to come out the studio.

BTW...

If possible, does anyone one have contact for Rushy's email at Evolution Studios that they could PM me? I tried to PM him for some details but I gathered he's been busy. I want to send him some photographs from the DC launch event I attended that the team might like.

Noshino

games like motorstorm and wipeout were so much of the diversity that made playstation so good for years. yosp is sucking all the life out of the brand with his management, feel no enthusiasm to buy a ps4. without these kind of games it's just an xbox with a flashier design.

I love MS and WipEout, but let's be real, they aren't that successful.

WipEout HD had a lot of development issues and was delayed a year, it came out well, but it didn't sell all that well. Their next project was WipEout 2048, which again didn't sell well. Yeah, we could blame the platforms in both cases or Sony's marketing for sales, but its not like they were unanimously praised by critics

Evolution also had problems, the series was selling less and less, Apocaplypse was just a cluterfuck of problems. Lowest rated game in the series, lower sales than PR, and then the earthquake that made them delay the game. Then you get RC that while fun didn't get that many sales either, and now DC, which also had a shit ton of problems.

As much as I love both developers, its really hard to argue against the actions taken by Sony after this long.

Synth

Because we level a lifed or tracked on their profiles and only one play through? Why would he sign out and I sign in just for the hell of it? I never cared for achievements or trophies so it never concerned me.

I don't care much for achievements either, but I'd still want to use my own profile to save my own progress, or to play online etc. Especially when it's a game I love.

But sure, fair enough.

Top Bottom