• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs at DriveClub developer Evolution, [UPDATE: 55 laid off (~50% of studio)]

offshore

people continue to laugh at the notion that first party has been struggling under his watch... i don't see how it can continue to be ignored.
Aye, thought this for ages, but GAF seems to adore him, so it's been pointless even trying to debate it. I think we've actually gone past the point where a legitimate examination of Shu's record is in order. No pun intended. lol.

DevilFox

Thing is stuff like Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Motorstorm, inFAMOUS all greenlit by Phil Harrison, Shu gave us Beyond Two Souls, Knack, The Order etc

Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, Tearaway, The Last of Us, Gravity Rush, Driveclub etc and many second party games, what about these?
But sales and Metascore unfortunately are the only things that matter for them.

Bsigg12

Hope anyone let go finds another job quickly. Always hate hearing that studios are being forced to let go of people.

prwxv3

Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, Tearaway, The Last of Us, Gravity Rush, Driveclub etc and many second party games, what about these?

or if its a AAA game or not.

QaaQer

I have no idea what focusing on a game as a service would mean. Guessing just filling out the season pass?

Ugh. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

edit: glad to hear the studio isn't shutting down though.

software as a service = getting money from people on a regular basis

Layoffs happen to almost every studio following the release of a title. While the fact that these are happening so much longer after release may have a lot to do with their focus lately on improving DriveClub's feature set with new things, which would just delay the inevitable, it still seems to be a little break from the normal 'ship and layoff' tendency most studios go through between projects. I think I agree with him/her, though. Focusing on DC as a service sounds more like they'll have a lot more staff safe than we normally would in a traditional period of transition between projects. Nothing about this sounds overly concerning, and since DriveClub is absolutely fantastic, I honestly can't wait to see what they're able to do with it over an extended period.

Of course, it's a Sony first party studio, so layoffs here are equivalent to MEGATON ANNOUNCEMENTS these days...

Yes, layoffs happen...to contractors. Not main staff members who get shuffled around and laid off and are put on "service" duty instead of crafting a new game.

It's like, totally different.

Sounds like the PS Plus edition is gonna be a F2P microtransaction mess.
I guess that explains the delay while they figure out how to monetize that stuff.

RIP Motorstorm.

boingball

So Evolution becomes a F2P company (well, once they finally release DriveClub PS+ "free" addition)?

Sad to hear that but I expected something like this since their catastrophic launch.

Evolution is a great company building racing games with single player experiences but it is a terrible company building online experiences, so this restructuring will almost certainly fail.

SerTapTap

Sounds like the PS Plus edition is gonna be a F2P microtransaction mess.

No, it's not, because we already know what it will have. Limited tracks, no tour events, limited cars, buy the main game to get access to get all content into it. The game would need major reworking to be a "microtransaction mess" and they already have the PS+ version's content carved out (and it's why the plat doesn't require Tour events)

Coin Return

Loose Slot
It's surprising this hasn't happened already. With the year long delay and botched release of PS4's only exclusive racing game, they don't deserve to make a new title.

Gestault

Layoffs happen to almost every studio following the release of a title. While the fact that these are happening so much longer after release may have a lot to do with their focus lately on improving DriveClub's feature set with new things, which would just delay the inevitable, it still seems to be a little break from the normal 'ship and layoff' tendency most studios go through between projects. I think I agree with him/her, though. Focusing on DC as a service sounds more like they'll have a lot more staff safe than we normally would in a traditional period of transition between projects. Nothing about this sounds overly concerning, and since DriveClub is absolutely fantastic, I honestly can't wait to see what they're able to do with it over an extended period.

Of course, it's a Sony first party studio, so layoffs here are equivalent to MEGATON ANNOUNCEMENTS these days...

You're missing the distinction between contractors and regular studio staff. This isn't project-end winding down. Your concern that people are playing it up because it's a particular company is misplaced; it is bad news and most are pretty bummed out about it.

No, it's not, because we already know what it will have. Limited tracks, no tour events, limited cars, buy the main game to get access to get all content into it. The game would need major reworking to be a "microtransaction mess" and they already have the PS+ version's content carved out (and it's why the plat doesn't require Tour events)

"Games as a service" typically means microtransactions.

dugdug

Banned
People acting like this problem is exclusive to Sony WWS and not a common problem in the entire AAA industry these days.

You have a point, but, we don't hear this happening to Nintendo or MS nearly as often.

Though, that could be due to the fact that Sony has more studios in it's stable. I don't know. Either way it sucks.

I don't like the Souls games sorry. But I did miss out The Last of Us, Shu redeemed.

How much control can one man really have though on the quality of a game? TBH I thought that Yoshida was terrible and needed to go but realistically, he gave developers as many chances as possible and they simply shit the bed. Driveclub for example had a huge delay and the developers still got it horrible wrong, RAD had an amazing track record and they fucked it up with Order 1886, there is not much anyone could have done about that besides never giving them a budget in the first instance to make a game.

Yoshida ain't a developer, how it is his fault is game developers cant successfully develop games? Another example is Stig, dude had several years to make a game and it was a complete fuck up, if you can't have the guy behind GOW 3 make another successful IP then the developers are doing something seriously wrong. Being the head of first party studios is like being the manager of a football team; you're only as good as your players and unfortunately Yoshida doesn't have the best players around.

There are a shit load of games that should be Games as a Service
1. Madden
2. NBA 2K
3. MLB The Show
4. Call of Redundancy
5. Battlefield Redux
6. Gran Turismo
7. Forza.

These games for the Generation of the Console should be a service. Buy the Games first iteration of the Console Generation and follow it up with nice little updates for a minimal fee. The Golf Club does this very thing. Gran Turismo 5 was great at doing this also.

Lemondish

Aye, thought this for ages, but GAF seems to adore him, so it's been pointless even trying to debate it. I think we've actually gone past the point where a legitimate examination of Shu's record is in order. No pun intended. lol.

I think the echo chamber and the scrutiny surrounding Sony World Wide Studios is so ridiculous overblown that we can't get a real metric of how things actually are. Lots of studios lay off after a big project completes, yet we only ever seem to see it announced in a million places when it's a Sony WWS brand. I think that kind of skews the situation a bit and makes any real discussion about Shu's record kind of pointless. Not to mention, who should we be comparing his current performance to in the same market? Microsoft? Nintendo? Nobody is in the position Sony is in, so I'm not sure what type of useful information we can glean by getting all rabid about how Sony's development studios also go through layoffs just like everyone else.

Ding-Ding

Yes alas, we might see a seaon 2 though, but when interest dies down for DC, they'll shut Evo down for good.

Maybe they can balance a season 2 for DC, against a european arm for PD going forward. Hell knows that PD could use the help in getting GT7 ready (they could also use a bit of western idea's in the GT series)

I thought the game sold well despite the screw ups that Evo did at release? This is why a game should be delayed as much as possible to be the most polished product instead of releasing it earlier due to pressure from forums and then deal with the consequences.

I just hope they are allowed to make DC2 and the next MS. They should not be put to side to do maintenance work and waste such awesome talent. Hope Sony is not that dumb.

Kayant

We will be looking to relocate team members throughout the studios, but unfortunately some redundancies will be necessary and in those cases we will assist staff in any way we can.

This is good at least. Best of luck to those affected.

nib95

Banned
So today's news hints at the possible snuffing of a sequel to not only one of my favourite simcade racers ever released, but my favourite stealth action game too. I feel like it's going to be Project Gotham Racing all over again….

batswing.gif

Suzzopher

How much control can one man really have though on the quality of a game? TBH I thought that Yoshida was terrible and needed to go but realistically, he gave developers as many chances as possible and they simply shit the bed. Driveclub for example had a huge delay and the developers still got it horrible wrong, RAD had an amazing track record and they fucked it up with Order 1886, there is not much anyone could have done about that besides never giving them a budget in the first instance to make a game.

Yoshida ain't a developer, how it is his fault is game developers cant successfully develop games? Another example is Stig, dude had several years to make a game and it was a complete fuck up, if you can't have the guy behind GOW 3 make another successful IP then the developers are doing something seriously wrong. Being the head of first party studios is like being the manager of a football team; you're only as good as your players and unfortunately Yoshida doesn't have the best players around.

I'm butthurt that I no can longer look forward to Motorstorm or WipEout.

Also friends of mine have been laid off from London, Cambridge and Liverpool over the years

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Secretly. I am hoping that they are working on cities. I will pay good money for a city DLC.

QaaQer

Did they say it's permanent?

Could just be focusing on DC for the meantime, I don't get the sense from that article that they aren't making any more games.

anything is possible. I still think there is a small chance that if they can roll out a f2p version, they might make some real monies.

Yesterday, I was having a convo for the umteenth time about game design and the choices made by Evo wrt DC. One of the choices they made was in creating a purely skilled based game with the 'one more time' hook of old arcade stuff instead of modern design, which seeks to make the player feel good above all else.

Now, for that to be profitable, you have to put the game in front of lots and lots of people because only a small percentage will get hooked. And that is where the PS+ version was supposed to come into play. Not having that meant the game design kneecaped sales because of word of mouth and reviews.

So the question is, what happened to the online? Who is to blame? Ultimately we'll never know. But IMO, it is the person who decided against a beta, and that persn doesn't necesiari8ly work @ Evo.

GobFather

So today's news hints at the possible snuffing of a sequel to not only one of my favourite simcade racers ever released, but my favourite stealth action game too. I feel like it's going to be Project Gotham Racing all over again….

batswing.gif

; _ ;

Gravijah

Wipeout sold like shit, what do you expect Shu to do?

That you think they "sold like shit" just highlights the problems with this industry. Everything has to sell millions of millions because budgets are ballooning so we can have "AWESOME PARTICLE EFFECTS" and "POST PROCESSING" and "ULTRA HIGH RESOLUTION TEXTURES!"

This industry is garbage. Chasing power will strangle every last ounce of creativity from it.

mclem

I have no idea what focusing on a game as a service would mean. Guessing just filling out the season pass?

I wonder if the "PS+ edition" might evolve into a free-to-play approach where you can bolt content onto the game in a piecemeal format.

The only great game on that list is The Last of Us, the rest is mediocre at best.

The person you quoted has a point.

Suzzopher

That you think they "sold like shit" just highlights the problems with this industry. Everything has to sell millions of millions because budgets are ballooning so we can have "AWESOME PARTICLE EFFECTS" and "POST PROCESSING" and "ULTRA HIGH RESOLUTION TEXTURES!"

This industry is garbage. Chasing power will strangle every last ounce of creativity from it.

You know what my favourite game of this gen is? Resogun, it is just an utter joy to play. I bet the budget on that was not great and yet it looks, sounds and plays better than anything else I've played all gen.

OmegaDL50

people continue to laugh at the notion that first party has been struggling under his watch... i don't see how it can continue to be ignored.

The layoffs along the likes of Sucker Punch, the situation with Amy Hennig at Naughty Dog, the Sony Santa Monica layoffs alongside Stig Asmussen leaving, and now Evolution.

This really doesn't sit well with me. I hope Shu isn't trying to become the Iwata of Sony in ousting it's western studios. Even if this is somewhat an exaggeration on my part. I think Sony needs to focus own strengths by capitalizing on it's 1st party studios, rather then wide scale layoffs and high profile employees leaving.

With the upcoming release of Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 coming out eventually, hopefully things will improve. Well I'm not sure if I can count Bloodborne seeing it's a joint project between From and SCEJ, still in my opinion it's better to have more original and unique profile of games at your disposal (.i.e first party exclusives) rather than entirely become reliant on 3rd party releases. It's these original titles is what makes a platform standout from the rest of the competition, and I'm all for the unique experiences to be had. This is coming from someone who has no hardware preference owning a Wii U, a PS4, and Gaming PC.

mclem

The article does mention that DriveClub sold well and Evo isn't getting shut down, however.

Which does strike me as odd. Layoffs would suggest that they didn't meet a financial target, which absolutely suggests that it didn't sell well enough. But that's at odds with the statement. Did some other source of funding fall through?

Bebpo

Banned
That's actually fine (outside the layoffs which suck), every 12 months do an "expansion pack" with a new location or two and a dozen tracks + some new cars" and sell it for $15-20. Keep adding core features, and maybe think up some new game styles to add for single player besides race/drift/time trial.

There's not really a big reason to need a sequel these days with a racing game if the core game is good and can be improved. Sequel is just a boxed version of new campaign with new tracks & cars and they can do that through expansions.

But yeah, sad to hear about all the layoffs, but the launch disaster was going to hit the studio hard eventually.

i-Lo

Looking at those buggies and Sony declaring DC as a "service", Evolution could potentially use the DC platform for launching an expansion with dirt tracks and other offroaders to be a call back to Motorstorm and its legitimate preview; Motorstorm 3.5.

Appraisal at the right time can make all the difference in the world, or it ought to. After Evolution is done releasing all the planned content for DC and the PS plus edition, an assessment of the ROI should be done and projects with known brand recognition such Wipeout and next Motorstorm can be developed.

The last Motorstorm didn't sell well because while it was ambitious, it lacked the focus that Pacific Rift possessed and the launch coincided with the terrible tsunami. Furthermore, the next Wipeout can be launched as digital download only akin to Wipeout HD and have commensurate dev budget.

Top Bottom