• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway Unfolded - PAX East 2015 off-screen gameplay and impressions

Shin-Ra

https://youtu.be/4tg5XdwnvJc (30fps - lots of footage + impressions)
https://youtu.be/SrLdEp3MjG4 (60fps - briefs shots of gameplay and the PAX booth)
https://youtu.be/Bsaq3L6dob8 (30fps - brief shots mixed with past trailer footage + impressions)

played this at pax today. it's just as awesome with a DS4. they have this cool thing where you can pick up objects and throw them at the screen by tilting to DS4 up. then you can throw the object back from the screen to a target by aiming and swiping up on the DS4 touchpad. it's pretty cool. having played through vita version. i was impressed with what they've done here.

also, i talked to the guy from media molecule who said 2 interesting things

• they don't know exactly how to solve the lack of camera issue with ps4. he said they are playing around with the idea of player making an avater that appears in the sun. but they aren't 100% sure how this will really work yet for those that don't have a camera
  • MM is working on a ps4 game, but he wouldn't say anymore about it other than that it's "amazing"
For those that don't know yet: the internal SIXAXIS sensors are used for aiming the light bar beam and throwing objects back through the TV screen so you only need a camera for the Teletubbies face-in-sun moments.

Holy shit, it's running at 60 FPS.

The smoothness of the movement along with the awesome stop-motion-esque animations is going to look great! :D

they don't know exactly how to solve the lack of camera issue with ps4. he said they are playing around with the idea of player making an avater that appears in the sun. but they aren't 100% sure how this will really work yet for those that don't have a camera

Isn't it pretty late in development not to have solved this?

Anyway, super stoked about this. And about MM's next game!

Shin-Ra

that seems to be the most logical solution. though grabbing a facebook photo or something wouldn't be a bad idea either
They could already do that by using your profile picture which can be a PSN avatar, Facebook profile pic or PSN app upload.

zScHw2.jpg
Hell, if they were really cunning they could save your currently set profile picture as one frame in a short stop-motion animation and you'd just upload 10 photos or so through the PlayStation app and arrange them in the game.

t hicks

Banned
Played this at PAX, I was a huge fan of the Vita version and I had no idea that Unfolded would even be there lol.
It looks beautiful and plays really well with the DS4. I'm really looking forward to the full game!

I am very happy about this.

I enjoyed the Vita version, I can't say a game like this (reminds me of like, a 3D Mario) with closed levels and platforming is generally my favourite genre, but the character customisation options make it pretty cool.

Glad to hear it's opened up a bit, too.

They should make it so that if you're playing on Vita remote play it will use the Vita camera.

i think a rather complex update to remote play would be needed to do this. probably not worth doing, unless they used the second screen functionality for it. now that i'm thinking about it though, using the ps android/iphone app on second screen might be possible too

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I really need to get around and finish the Vita version already. I seem to be giving the game a disservice by not bothering with it.

Grimløck;156976555 said:
really really really really really really really really really really

That was kind of annoying, yes.

Is this game "better" or more fun than LBP3? I'm looking for a light platformer to play with the wife, and Tearaway sounds like its got a whole lot going for it.

nampad

First video:
"There are a lot of steps up from the Vita version."
two seconds later
"I didn't play the Vita version."
two seconds later:
"this is so much better than the Vita version."

What an idiot.

Anyway, I feel the PS4 control gimmicks they have shown so far are not even on the same level as the Vita integration. The light is ok but the holding up the controller and throwing part doesn't feel like you are really connected to the game world I guess.

That was kind of annoying, yes.

Is this game "better" or more fun than LBP3? I'm looking for a light platformer to play with the wife, and Tearaway sounds like its got a whole lot going for it.

I haven't played LBP3, but Tearaway is amazing and a perfect game to play with the family. It's so lovely and charming.

First video:
"There are a lot of steps up from the Vita version."
two seconds later
"I didn't play the Vita version."
two seconds later:
"this is so much better than the Vita version."

What an idiot.

Anyway, I feel the PS4 control gimmicks they have shown so far are not even on the same level as the Vita integration. The light is ok but the holding up the controller and throwing part doesn't feel like you are really connected to the game world I guess.
LOL I thought the same thing.

Massa

Yep. The beauty of Tearaway is that it really felt like you were holding that world in your hand. I just don't see that being replicated on the PS4.

Top Bottom