• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mechanics in games you didn't know for far too long.

Phatmac

For example not knowing that crackdown had a lock-on mechanic which made the game much easier after being close to the end of the game. D'oh. What about you? Do you have mistakes that you didn'tmake easier in games until too late?

mrqs

By the end of Final Fantasy 15 Episode Duscae i learned that pressing R3 (or L3, i don't remember) makes you run. Or just holding suqare or X, i think.

I walked all the way trough and it was pretty painfull.

stuminus3

Banned
I didn't know there was a run button in Resident Evil 4.

Just kidding. Only really stupid people didn't know that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I played Borderlands in almost all if its entirety without knowing I could use the turret on the buggy while driving.

Pudge

Switching between plasmids in Bioshock: Infinite. I played through the whole game and into a second playthrough before realizing you could switch between all of them like you could in the first two games. I just assumed you had to pick them up like weapons.

First time playing a video game in the 80's my older brother did not know you can run and jump at the same time in Super Mario Bros. So in level 1, he would walk up to the pit and try jumping over it. Obviously he kept falling in the pit over and over again.

Adaren

Not really a mechanic, but being able to make up=up and down=down during the Space Harrier section in Bayonetta 1.

I played the game for hundreds of hours and complained about the lack of an option dozens of times before I found it. I don't know how I never saw it.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Switching between plasmids in Bioshock: Infinite. I played through the whole game and into a second playthrough before realizing you could switch between all of them like you could in the first two games. I just assumed you had to pick them up like weapons.
I had similar problem with burial at sea because I didn't know you could switch between all your guns you picked and I'd assume you could just carry two.

In the Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3, that sleeping in a bed for an in-game hour will completely heal you.

Especially in Fallout 3,not knowing that made that game way harder since I had to spend 90% of my money on Stimpaks.

I think in Oblivion specifically I didn't know for hours that you needed to go to sleep to raise your overall level.

Sophia

You can double tap in Mega Man X (and it's sequels) to dash. Didn't realize it as a kid until after I had beaten the game a few times. I always just reassigned it to R.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I spent way too much time in Super Metroid avoiding the purple balls because I thought they were poisonous.

Not my proudest moment.

Less of a mechanic and more of a gameplay element, but I didn't know there was town building in Xenoblade Chronicles until just before fighting the final final boss. A major facet of the game.

Ashtar

I was thinking about making a post similar to this
1. Riposte in Witcher 2 I just dodged everything with the roll
2. Mutagens I still don't know what the heck these things do and I beat the game twice
3. The time freeze/bullet time in Vanquish, I just always boosted around I didn't even think to use it until all the way at the end.
4. Fast travel in dying light I still don't understand how to do it.

Abounder

Banned
In WoW I didn't train in first aid until I was near the max level; I was the negative stereotype of a newbie paladin.

bjork

The brackets and parentheses in Fallout 3/NV computer mini-games removing dud entries.

I posted this in a thread just like this like a week ago

Mupod

I got about 75% through Baldur's Gate 1 before I figured out how magic worked. I had Dynaheir in my party the whole time and couldn't figure out why she had no spells. I didn't understand a lot of the mechanics until the second game - to be fair, it was AD&D second edition rules and I'd never touched a PnP rpg in my life.

Dodge offset in Bayonetta 2

I never needed it in the first game but it really feels like 2 is designed significantly more around it - especially the lumen sage fights. Or maybe I just realized how much easier things are when you use it.

Loxley

World of Warcraft - I went my first two years of playing without knowing that you could eat and drink at the same time.

TheHall

I made it into Flower world in Mario 3D World without using the far jump.

Gold flag hunting is going to be so much easier now.

I played 120 hours of Skyrim before realizing there is a sprint button (Left Shift). Must have missed the button prompt tutorial at the beginning of the game.

WELL EXCUSEEEEE ME NONE OF THE OTHER SCROLLS GAMES HAD SPRINT OK?

Sephzilla

First time through Metal Gear Rising I didn't realize there was a counter attack that followed perfect parries.

You can double tap in Mega Man X (and it's sequels) to dash. Didn't realize it as a kid until after I had beaten the game a few times. I always just reassigned it to R.

Because you were (almost) doing it right - i always used L

Pudge

I made it into Flower world in Mario 3D World without using the far jump.

Gold flag hunting is going to be so much easier now.

That game has a bunch of weird stuff in it. I went through most of it without knowing you could get into a turtle shell and ride it around. They did it in the intro cutscene when I left it running after a while and I was stunned. That beach level seemed so weird until I figured it out.

JimboJones

In streets of rage there is an enemy that can throw you, if you press up+C after been thrown you will land on your feet and can avoid damage, I only found out about it in 2008.

It took me until the Dead Sea in Chrono Cross to realize I could switch characters in battle without needing to use up all of one character's stamina first. All of a sudden, the whole game's battle system made sense, heh.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I still havent learned dodge offset
It pretty much just means that if you're doing a combo and you think an attack is coming your way, hold down the button to "pause" your current combo, and dodge the attack with the button still held down. Then after your dodge, you can continue your combo instead of starting all over again.

Say you're doing a Punch - Kick - Punch combo with the standard 4 guns, where the third punch is the wicked weave (giant hair thing) attack in your combo. If you went punch > kick and then saw a monster looking like it's about to attack you, then instead of letting go of kick to get ready to dodge, you hold down the kick button so that Bayonetta keeps keeps shooting in the middle of her kick move. Then when the attack comes, dodge the attack while kick is still held down, then press punch after the dodge. You'll do the wicked weave part of the punch as if you just did punch > kick > punch, except you just "paused" your combo for a second to dodge the attack.

This makes comboing incredibly safe because holding down a button (with most weapons anyway, since some weapons can't be held down for too long) is just as safe as standing back doing nothing while you wait for the enemy to do an attack.

El Jaffe

How to parry in MGS Rising. Got to the dog in the very beginning and it pissed me off so much that I put the game down for a year.

Went back cuz i needed to justify purchase, still got ass handed to me, looked up how to parry online, then beat the game 3 times in a row.

Kas

I had no idea enemies scaled to your level in Oblivion. I spent a good 5-6 hours of the game maxing a few levels and then I got to level 25 leveling only non-combat skills.

I then proceeded to get killed by everything, from spiders to daedra. Wasn't fun.

Top Bottom