• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mechanics in games you didn't know for far too long.

DrKelpo

Banned
I didn't know about CQC in Metal Gear Solid 3 until I read about it on GAF about a year ago.

cqc for me too.
when i first played the game, i completed it without having used cqc once.
i was aware that there was something, because snake and boss kept talking about it, but it wasnt until my second or third playthrough that i really learned how to use it.
boy, was it a lot easier and more fun. especially the fight against the boss. it was just frustrating getting beaten up by her with nothing you could do except mashing buttons and occasionally parrying something.

Mexen

First Persona I played (P3P).
20+ hours in
Realised I could directly control party members in battle.
Oh, my! How the game changed after that.

Also, Metal Gear Solid Games. All of them. List is too long so I'll just say it takes multiple playthroughs to realise you can do certain things.

Zarill

Neo Member
60+ hours in Fallout : NV and I just discovered that the Pip-Boy could glow in the dark and totally fuck you up if you try sneaking ennemis

I played 120 hours of Skyrim before realizing there is a sprint button (Left Shift). Must have missed the button prompt tutorial at the beginning of the game.

WELL EXCUSEEEEE ME NONE OF THE OTHER SCROLLS GAMES HAD SPRINT OK?

Uhh... But the other ones totally did. At least all the way back to Daggerfall.

kogasu

Dodge offset in Bayo. I'm still don't use it too often.

In FFVI, I always thought Celes' Runic only worked when the enemy casts a spell at her specifically. I didn't realize it absorbed the next spell that was cast no matter what until the Cultist's Tower

Cid from Final Fantasy IV. I mean, you meet him pretty much right at the beginning as the guy who builds and maintains the airships, but you don't actually get to know him until midway through when he becomes playable.

Hah! Gold!

Narroo

Here's one for me: The Exceed Charge mechanic in DMC4!

If you hit the Exceed button with perfect timing while slashing, you can charge the gauge instantly. Figured it out on the last level. The game did not explain that well.

Narroo

First Persona I played (P3P).
20+ hours in
Realised I could directly control party members in battle.
Oh, my! How the game changed after that.

Also, Metal Gear Solid Games. All of them. List is too long so I'll just say it takes multiple playthroughs to realise you can do certain things.

On the bright side, it was only in the PSP version of that game you could do that. If anything, you got the authentic experience!

cavemancolton

Unconfirmed Member
I literally JUST figured out that you can Dash and Roll in Streets of Rage 3 by double-tapping the D-Pad. I've owned this game since it came out on Genesis.

I'm so happy right now, you guys.

cavemancolton

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna be picking up Persona 4 soon, which platform/version would you recommend?

If you have a Vita, or ever think you might want a Vita, get the Vita version (Persona 4: Golden).

New Characters, Storylines, A True Ending, Widescreen in HD, New Anime Cutscenes, New gameplay mechanics, and other new content. It's without a doubt the definitive version of one of the best JRPG's of all time.

L Thammy

It took my friend twenty years to learn that you could hold the button down in Mario to jump higher. He somehow thought that most platformers work like Super Ghosts 'n' Ghouls. He's a lifelong gamer and has beaten a whole bunch of platformers without figuring this out.

rashbeep

Banned
I played 120 hours of Skyrim before realizing there is a sprint button (Left Shift). Must have missed the button prompt tutorial at the beginning of the game.

WELL EXCUSEEEEE ME NONE OF THE OTHER SCROLLS GAMES HAD SPRINT OK?

I don't think it took me that long, but yea this

cavemancolton

Unconfirmed Member
He's a lifelong gamer and has beaten a whole bunch of platformers without figuring this out.

I literally don't believe you. This seems impossible. (Beating a bunch of platformers, not the fact that he didn't know how to jump higher).

It's like telling me you beat Mario without ever running. At a certain point it just seems impossible to complete the game without that mechanic.

Zareka

Playing up till Code 7 or something in Freedom Wars without realising you could use your thorn to revive people from afar. I think I just threw my thorn at a corpse one time to get to it faster and let out an audible "WOAH" when they popped right back up.

Also not realising until today, over 100 hours in, that you don't *have* to mash circle to sever/drag though it feels like mashing does it faster.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I didn't realize you could defeat enemies in Captain Toad by spinning around real quick.

Don't worry, you're not alone. I remember seeing a Nintendo Treehouse employee tweet their shock at this discovery recently, and they spent months working on and playtesting the game.

kejigoto

Banned
Gears of War 2 opening sequence when you man the turret and to shoot down a couple of enemies trying to take over your vehicle. Had no clue you could tap RB to eject heat from the turret so I just kept overheating or not being able to shoot down enemies fast enough. Got frustrated and gave up until my friend came over to play through it with me since it was his game and I was merely borrowing it (hadn't played the first one yet, just sort of jumped into it).

He gave over and did the same exact thing I did as he hadn't played the game in forever. So we both loaded up co-op figuring two of us focusing fire could bring at least one down and again we both couldn't overcome the heat issues. Time after time we kept failing the mission and we weren't five minutes into the game.

Finally in a moment of frustration my friend just started mashing buttons while overheated and suddenly saw his heat meter drop to zero. A couple of button presses later the mystery was solved, the section beaten, and a ridiculous amount of time and attempts were wasted because we couldn't be bothered to read the little on screen hint that popped up every time we started to overheat.

Yea we're idiots.

Mexen

If you have a Vita, or ever think you might want a Vita, get the Vita version (Persona 4: Golden).

New Characters, Storylines, A True Ending, Widescreen in HD, New Anime Cutscenes, New gameplay mechanics, and other new content. It's without a doubt the definitive version of one of the best JRPG's of all time.

Cool stuff, cheers.

ShinMaruku

In DMC you could knock back fireballs at your foes. It's great for the Phantom fight. if you have balls you could stand there and knock back his fireballs back at him.

Omerta

Arkham City: I'm pretty sure that I only figured out you can cover huge areas by doing the glide-dip-glide-dip move after finishing the game.

If it wasn't after end-game, it was a *long* way into the game!

Narroo

Gonna be picking up Persona 4 soon, which platform/version would you recommend?

I'm actually in middle of my first playthrough of Persona 4 now; I'm a bit late.

Anyways, most people say Vita, if possible. Adds in a bunch of stuff and events. Your millage may very though. (People are split on Marie Tsu).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I played Skyrim for more than a 150 hours not knowing I can Fast-Travel.

I never fast travel. Much prefer to get on my horse or just walk. You get to find some pretty obscure stuff by just walking and exploring.

Fast travel for Xenoblade. I knew it was in the game, but could only make it work in each "area" I was in (as in, I could go to any place within Makna Forest, but didn't know how to go from there to any other area besides walking, which I didn't want to do). I didn't discover that I could jump to any area until somewhere around Eryth Sea. After that I was teleporting all over that world.

openrob

OK, playing tropical freeze, and am on level 6-8. And have just figured out that you can keep consistent speed on the rhino by tapping X. I thought you could do it in 'waves' like DK's roll. 'Press x' get speed boost, wait a sec, press x, etc.

Fake Edit:
While writing this out I though, let me test that and SHIT, you can just keep rolling!!! What the hell!

I just used to tap it, and then roll again when he finished.... The end of world 6 guys. Hahhaa

P.s. also had the Xenoblade fast travel issue like the poster above me until after I met riki.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Force Move - Diablo 3

Totally makes the game a million times better stay in motion and only slightly pause when you want to attack. Just hold it down and never need to mouse click for movement.

Windforce

Destiny - boosting the ship/bike-thing with L2.

I learned that on the demo and by the time I got the full game I had completely forgotten about it. Playing online with a friend he questioned me why I would always lag behind everyone on the vehicle sequences. lol, duh.

I played through all of Normal in The Wonderful 101 (the highest available difficulty from the start) and half of Hard, collecting a fair number of gold and silver trophies, while having no idea what the Team Attack button did or how the combo scoring system worked. This was at launch, too, so I didn't have the benefit of the Saur tutorial videos everybody has been passing around since.

I definitely want to get back to the game at some point armed with an understanding of what on earth I'm doing (plus a lot more practice on my belt with Platinum design thanks to Bayonetta 2).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I was on my third territory before I realised that if you clicked on the base projects it would show you where to get them on the map.

(Mad Max)

MGSV: instant teleport to ACC via main menu. That was a ton of time wasted.

Kingdom Hearts: After like 7 playthroughs I learn you can cast blizzard on the bubbles at Hollow Bastion to create platforms and reach some new treasure.

Resident Evil 3: There is actually hidden leveling up system when making bullets from gunpowder. I didn't even know there were different types of handgun ammo and stuff.

Not a game changer, but my boyfriend recently told me you could emote in Diablo 3. After, what, three years playing the game, it blew my mind a little bit.

TheJoRu

The Z+B-slide kick (or the break dance if you stand still) in Super Mario 64. Quite a revelation when I stumbled upon it years after playing it for the first time.

Discovered box fast travel in MGS V somewhere in Africa. I was almost done with the game so I never ended up using. Should spice up my planned replay a bit though.

I didn't discover the homing jump attack in Ninja Gaiden Black until I was nearly half way through the game, game felt like a cakewalk after that.

Top Bottom