• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mechanics in games you didn't know for far too long.

I made it into Flower world in Mario 3D World without using the far jump.

Gold flag hunting is going to be so much easier now.

I'm guessing you got a lot of Gold Flags anyway by using the Cat Suit, right?

Mine? I replayed Mega Man X 15 years later and forgot it had a charge attack until I beat all of Mavericks. I was thinking, man, I don't remember this game being that hard!

Blocking in Shinobi III, which really changes up how you play. It's most useful in stage 5 when you're jumping between mines and blocking volleys of machine-gun fire. Better yet, it's still risky to use because recoil from shots blocked can push you into a compromising situation.

bndadm

Using the d pad in MGS3 Snake Eater. It wasnt until I got to the dock area frustrated I could not sneak up on anyone that I looked up online how to sneak.

I thought it was just a matter of tilting the stick less, but no luck.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
You can swing/attack pick axes at mine ores in Skyrim to mine instead of going through the ridiculously slow animations.

tumblr_lkyzwa4VLV1qzkdjmo1_500.gif

You've gotta be kidding me.

feel

Completed the original Dead Space on Hard without realizing there was a button to use a healing item. I was at times running around frantically while going into my inventory to heal with monsters on my tail.

ec0ec0

I think that i know a good one.

One that affected me dramatically, you :p (if you played the game, as i'm confident that it affected most players) and the accessibility of the franchise:

Quick turning in F-Zero GX!!. I always mention that one. At release, i didn't know about it, you probably didn't, no one did (the general public). And nowadays GX is infamous for its difficulty. The game is still difficult if you know how to quick turn... but OMG it's night and day!!

Lately, we have had various GX threads, and i tried to explain quick turning there just in case anyone was interested. If you are interested, here you have a link to the post that you should read first:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145668724&postcount=190

(once you read that one, just follow the links xD)

How to parry in MGS Rising. Got to the dog in the very beginning and it pissed me off so much that I put the game down for a year.

Went back cuz i needed to justify purchase, still got ass handed to me, looked up how to parry online, then beat the game 3 times in a row.
I beat the game twice before I realized it was a thing.

Wolfie5

You can swing/attack pick axes at mine ores in Skyrim to mine instead of going through the ridiculously slow animations.

Glad I read this now. I am at lvl 17 only and mined just a few times so far. Thank you.

Also, played a couple of hours before I realised you could run.

Head.spawn

After playing Tekken for many years... then finding out about grapple combos. It completely changed the game up at work (where we had a Tekken arcade machine at the time).

kiuo

I didn't know xenoblade had fast travel until like 60 hrs in.

I would back travel for any quest/story related events but i got to a point where i couldn't back travel anymore, searched like over an hr everywhere from the hight entia place to go back to makna forest, then pissed off i started searching through the menu and lode and behold i found the fast traveled option. Never looked back since.

RowdyReverb

When I was a child, I played through most of Super Mario World without realizing there were two jump types. I only used the spin jump because it looked cooler and shot fireballs in both directions. As a result, yellow block platforms were very difficult to jump between because I'd destroy them with each landing. Also, I wasn't able to fly or use Yoshi.

I didn't realize that the standard jump was the intended primary one until I reached an obstacle that couldn't be cleared with the spin jump because it's slightly shorter in height. Needless to say, it blew my mind. Now I'm curious to play SMW again without using the regular jump.

LakeEarth

I watched a friend beat FFVIII's final boss by casting triple, and then doing the Meteor spell with every character over and over and over. That's 9, ~10-15 second animations per turn so ... it took a while. When I got a chance to play the game and figured out the junctioning mechanic, I just face-palmed.

Roldan

Many things from the first RE games:

RE1, 2, 3: If you shoot while facing the camera, bullet holes will appear on the screen.

RE1: Depending on where do you go (or what you do) first, you'll trigger different cutscenes, and I'm not talking about good or bad endings. Since I always did the same route, I end up with the same cutscenes every time.

RE2: There's a point where you can get a weapon and a backpack. If you get both items with Claire, when you make a new game in that save and get there with Leon, the items won't be there. Kinda silly, but it blew my mind back then.

RE3: Puzzle solutions, enemies positioning and species, and items being randomized at every new game. (It's hardly "randomized" actually; there are like 2 or 3 variations only, but it's awesome regardless of that)

And also:

SM64: Wet Dry World's initial water level will vary on how high you jumped on the painting.

MGS1: Knowing your rations would freeze if you stayed too long on the place where you fight Vulcan Raven. Also, I didn't know MANY things shown on the 5 episodes of Easter Egg Hunting series from Did You Know Gaming.

KDR_11k

I played through most of Monster Hunter 3 as a Switchaxe user, didn't learn about that charging blast attack until 4...

DevilSpit

Neo Member
How to use all the bonuses from battlepack level-ups in BF4. I thought they were auto-magically being used in your next round. Did not know you had to activate them...Lame I know.

THE ORDER.....1886......I KNEW BLACK SIGHT WAS IN THE GAME BUT I DIDNT REALIZE TIL AFTER I FINISHED THE GAME THAT I HAD NEVER EVEN USED IT OR KNEW HOW TO USE IT LOL

failgubbe

Countless hours on FIFA over the years and it was just last year that i found out that you can make the wall jump on freekicks

therapist

I got to the last stage in the first hotline miami without knowing you can lock on to enemies.

I accidentally clicked the scroll wheel over an enemy and i was just like ...what?
how did i not know this?

Learning to riposte in Dark Souls 1 and 2

I've completed Dark Souls 7 or 8 times, have all achievements on Xbox and all trophies on PS. Same for Dark Souls II (maybe a couple less playthroughs though).

I have never once parried or riposted. Don't even know how.

I played Doom for 8 years before I learned what strafing was.

I had similar issues when I started playing FPSes on PC. I didn't really get into PC gaming until the late 90s, when I'd already been using consoles for the better part of a decade, so the concept of using a keyboard and mouse to control things was completely foreign. I figured out strafing in fairly short order, but the idea of using a mouse to "aim" while simultaneously moving was just so absurd that I didn't bother with it until I'd already played through Half-Life and Opposing Force twice. I even played TFC without being able to raise/lower my angle of aim easily. Rocket jumps? Yeah, you just hold PGDN until you're looking at the ground, and then.... It wasn't until I tried Counter-Strike that it occurred to me that being able to aim faster might prove beneficial.

It's not really a mechanics thing, but I also had no idea you had to change graphics options and such when I started PC gaming. I upgraded my computer with a sweet Voodoo 5 graphics card, but kept HL running in software mode for the next few months wondering why things didn't look different. When I figured that one out, I spent the better part of an hour just firing rockets down an empty hallway on well2 watching the light patterns change and giggling like an idiot.

I didn't know you could run in smb1 until the gbc version hit. I was too young to read the manual back then, and when I got to a jump that required it, I just handed off to my sibling who handed it back after.

More recently, I did not know you could boost a GF attack in FF8 until my second playthrough. I just sorta missed the tutorial on that, and assumed boost was just a general stat increase or something.

Didn't realize one of the weapons (forgot which one) had a secondary grenade firing mode in the first Half Life. Felt regretful when I found out long after finishing the game. Must have been a really cool weapon to use in various scenarios.
Oh well, the game was still really enjoyable to play.

Wait what?

In the hacking minigame, there will be some lines that will have brackets (, [, {, <. If on the same line, there's a closing bracket, click on either the opening or closing bracket to get either a replenish of guesses or a dud removed. You'll know you can use it if it highlights it like it would a word.

Dunbar

I must have been 40-50 hours into Final Fantasy VIII before I really understood how drawing and junctioning worked. That plus discovered Island Closest to Heaven/Hell made the final few hours a cakewalk.

1. Long jumping in 3D Mario games.

2. Kara Cancels in Super Street Fighter II X. To this day I'm not 100% sure what it means.
Joking, but it did take me a while to do more advanced stuff in the game with Kara Cancels.

Crayolan

I didn't realize you could fast travel in Fallout 3 until like Rivet City in the storyline.

Same thing happened with Xenoblade, though I figured it out a little more quickly in that game, on Gaur Plain.

Top Bottom