• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Alien Isolation - *SPOILERS*

Raptomex

While I'm not a big fan of the horror genre in general and I'm also not a big fan of the survival horror genre of video games, this has to be the best survival horror game I've played. I'm a huge fan of the Alien series as well. I picked it up for PS4 about 2 weeks ago and beat it yesterday. I really enjoyed it but I have a feeling if I didn't care much for the Alien series I wouldn't have enjoyed is as much. The game was pretty much go from point A to point B, survive, rinse and repeat.

The actual sense of fear in this game is amazing. When I first encountered the Alien I was terrified. By the end of the game I wasn't as scared but there were a few moments that had me jump. My only real complaint is about the halfway point. After ejecting the Alien, now you have to avoid the androids. These things sucked. There's too many of them and I didn't find them as fun to evade. The chapter that involved Amanda getting to APOLLO was by far the worst. If one of those things spotted you they all come after you. Annoying. In that chapter I got to the point where if they spotted me I just reloaded the game. They wore those whatever suits which apparently makes them invulnerable to everything. The bolt gun was a godsend. Once the Alien came back I was quite relieved.

I was really curious to see this AI the devs kept going on about and overall I was impressed but I didn't notice things. For example, I found that if I just hide in one spot and wait for it to go into the vent, that's the best way to evade it. At first I would try to go about my business quietly as it left the room but it was still near. Another thing is the Alien would never really leave the vicinity. It was clearly spawning near you all the time. It can make sense due to the Alien's heightened senses but it was obvious. Especially towards the end. The second to last chapter, the Alien would rarely stay in the vents and would constantly crash through them always nearby no matter where I was. It becomes annoying because no matter how quiet you can be, it never seemed to distant itself far enough for me to make an even quiet escape. It was still relatively close. It stands in a doorway then back into the room, then another doorway, then back into the room. You're clearly a magnet for it. Speaking of which, in that chapter, after restarting the generator, the music kicked in making it impossible for me to hear it. I was playing on medium so I don't know how much of it is changed in higher difficulties but I want to play through it again.

The lore was great and CA did a great job of sticking to the source material. The visuals, the atmosphere, all amazing. The crafting was cool but the entire interface was horrid. This isn't really a shooter and that was obvious just from the controls alone as well as the reloading. Popping in one bullet at a time. A lot of little things added to the fear, especially the music which was also well done. I noticed the movement animations for characters and the Alien were a little stiff but not too bad. The story wasn't bad but the android shit needs to go. Even evading humans was more fun. It was really cool to throw a noisemaker or fire a gun and see the Alien come charging. Getting other NPCs to hunt you, fire a gun, you get into a vent and hear the Alien come crashing above you only to hear gunfire and the sounds of screams and death. Great stuff. Too bad there wasn't more of that.

Overall I liked the game and if there's ever a sequel hopefully they can fix some of the issues.

KePoW

Banned
That's because this game was fucking awesome

Easily a 9.0 in my book

Most tense game I've played in a long major time

Raptomex

That's because this game was fucking awesome

Easily a 9.0 in my book

Most tense game I've played in a long major time
Yeah it was a good experience. Kind of got me into the survival horror genre. Thinking of firing up System Shock 2.

PooBone

I loved it but nowhere near "best horror game ever." Unlike the OP though, I'm a big fan of the genre. I'm glad more people are checking out this title. It's a good one.

PooBone

Also guys, for more horror fixes check out the recent console release of "Slender: The Arrival." It's $10 or cheaper and it will make you scream.

three_muffins

Gold Member
Playing and loving Alien Isolation. Very much remindsme of Outlastwhich was also a great horror survival experience for me. Are there any other horror survival games that fit the immersion and playstyle of alien isolation? Im kinda hooked right now

This game has got more threads than a giraffes scarf.
Seriously.

I counted the "LTTP, this game's great!" threads like a month back and we were at close to a dozen.

Talk about a long tail. I only wish all these people had bought it at launch.

Playing and loving Alien Isolation. Very much remindsme of Outlastwhich was also a great horror survival experience for me. Are there any other horror survival games that fit the immersion and playstyle of alien isolation? Im kinda hooked right now
The Amnesia games, especially The Dark Descent.

Artex

Banned
The androids freaked me the fuck out. That game was awesome. So glad I listened to gaf and bought it.

I really liked the game but I didn't finish it. Theres just something about the whole "sneak from point A to B" thing, I don't think it can carry an entire game. The game needed more variety. But man what I played was quite an experience.

I enjoyed my time with it a ton. When I went to replay it though some of the niggling issues became a lot more apparent, like the over reliance on visual set pieces at some points, heavily random nature of it (probably necessary to keep a certain degree of tension), and weird difficulty curve and sporadic pacing, plus the over-effectiveness of certain sneaking/escape methods.

Still it was one of my favorite games that year. Genuinely scary and so effdctive at creating its atmosphere/aesthetic that its pretty much a must play for Alien fans. In that department I only wish the story had been a bit better. I pretty much stopped caring about ithe characters part-way through, though thanks to the gameplay it is very effective at creating a sense of "I need to escape" to drive you on. Pretty good use of down-time at certain points too.

The best thing in the Alien franchise after the first two movies, by far.

CA get it. They absolutely understand their source material.

EGM1966

Love this game. Every sale and LTTP counts! Art style is amazing (okay taking lead from the frankly awesome art style of Alien/Aliens) and the sound design is literally the best sound design I've every experienced. With 7.1 headset it's amazing experience.

Didn't mind the rubber band AI as I honestly can't think of a better option. The game wouldn't work if you could just wait out the Alien and have it saunter off to other locales. It needs to be more or less on your tail.

Given what you understand by the end I think they even folded it well into the narrative:
  • Early on you are most likely crossing swords with
    a couple of Aliens that are out and about patrolling while majority are in nest - hence they're always around and nosing around
  • Once you get the flamethrower I think that whole long level it's supposed to be
    only one
    Alien that's homing in on you as you're actively sealing doors and have to make some noise and it knows something's going on.
  • Post the nest you've smoked out many Aliens into the station proper and they're riled. They're hostile and hunting around and generally far more alert. In short you're supposed to feel they're on your ass the whole time as the station falls apart around you

It makes sense and holds together the narrative well. I do think it takes a while to get used to as most stealth games rely on enemies with patterns and you are always given clear "slots" to pass through pre-set pathways. With this game the pathways aren't set and hence they have to keep the creature essentially mooching around or actively seeming to try and find you.

Fury451

Banned
It was an excellent and surprising game, especially for finally nailing the Alien license.

But...as you described, the Alien was basically the worst kind of rubber banding. I've heard it described as "tough and smart but fair", but it isn't always. There were times when it made a beeline for my hiding spot despite having no way of knowing where I was prior.

Or waiting just outside the room so as soon as I sneak out of hiding, it ambushes. It always being around like that made it less tense and more obnoxious and frustrating. I love a challenge (Outlast was super easy I felt), but this just got irritating at times.

The idea of "advanced AI" was cool, and worked well at times, but at others (especially on hard), they just cranked the sensitivity way up, which is borderline unfair.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, the rubber band alien became too intrusive after a while and lost its tension, but the game held up well from beginning to end. I love the entire package. If this is the team's first attempt at the license, then I can't wait for the sequel.

ChaosXVI

I love this game so much, and I really want to complete it, but for the life of me I just can't...I can't play it for more than 10 minutes at a time because it makes me feel so tense that it has had me on the brink of an asthma attack (I have really bad asthma) more than once.

It was still worth buying it at full price, someday I'll finish it, or at least watch a friend finish it with me in the room. Just having my hands off the controller takes a bit of the tension away, but it should still be a good time.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I love this game so much, and I really want to complete it, but for the life of me I just can't...I can't play it for more than 10 minutes at a time because it makes me feel so tense that it has had me on the brink of an asthma attack (I have really bad asthma) more than once.

It was still worth buying it at full price, someday I'll finish it, or at least watch a friend finish it with me in the room. Just having my hands off the controller takes a bit of the tension away, but it should still be a good time.

Trust me, the tension wears off. You'll feel more empowered and experienced as the game goes on. I made a thread here on Neogaf at 12am many months ago when I started the game for the first time. I was freaking out for several hours and didn't progress much, but when I finally encountered the alien I wasn't as fearful as I thought I would be. I felt pretty daring and empowered. It was more the fear of the unknown when I started the game because I didn't know what to expect, how the AI behaved and all of that jazz.

Edit: Also, I recently sold my PS4 copy, but I had started a nightmare session and got to chapter 14. It was so much more fun playing with zero HUD and increased difficulty AI.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
GOTY 2014, love all the LTTP threads for it as it's finally getting the recognition it deserves. That woeful IGN review did some serious damage to the game.

EGM1966

Have you tried novice level? I tried it wanting to chase some final logs, etc and it seemed to give you more breathing room while keeping fair sense of pressure on.

HagiG7

I enjoyed the game but I think sometimes it gets more praise than it deserves.

The atmosphere was phenomenal and I liked that the game didn't hold your hand like most modern games.

But it needed more variety gameplay-wise, especially considering it's lenght. It was always flip that switch, find the password or restore the power. Seriously, after I finished it, I had dreams about pushing buttons and pulling levels. :p

Also the AI sometimes was bad. Not unpredictable, just bad. Like you are standing in the line of sight of the Alien, or walk past it and it doesn't detect you.

My favorite area, despite some hate it gets, was the nest. It was really unsettling and made me jump a few times.

Decent game overall, but not GOTY material in my opinion.

Anyone else love the Seegson androids? They did a great job at providing a secondary, chilling enemy and not diluting the whole experience.

KDC720

I really enjoyed it too. Manged to keep fantastic atmosphere and tension throughout, which is no easy task for a 15+ hour game. Easily in my top 10 for last year.

The randomness of the Alien can be frustrating at times though, after awhile it began to feel less like a threat and more like a nuisance, especially as I found it became a lot more aggressive near the end.

I bought it and played until the point where you first meet the Alien (Which takes way too long, considering nothing else happens up until that point). Then the thing came charging at me and killed me within about 7 seconds, and I realised I hadn't yet saved the game.

Haven't picked it back up since.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I bought it and played until the point where you first meet the Alien (Which takes way too long, considering nothing else happens up until that point). Then the thing came charging at me and killed me within about 7 seconds, and I realised I hadn't yet saved the game.

Haven't picked it back up since.

It takes the necessary amount of time to build tension and atmosphere. Also you would have had to ignore at least 10-15 save points before you encounter the Alien so that's on you.

Souls didn't come out 8 months ago
AlienAirLock4.gif.CROP.original-original.gif

True. :D

GavinUK86

I absolutely loved it but mostly because of the Alien name. If it was a more generic horror, I'm not sure I would've of liked it as much.

Markitron

I absolutely loved it but mostly because of the Alien name. If it was a more generic horror, I'm not sure I would've of liked it as much.

I don't that's unfair or a slight on the game as it so perfectly recreated the feel of the film down to the last detail.

Minamu

I could use some advice, I bought the game several months ago but put it away near the end because I got stuck. I'm not sure how to proceed, I just got insta-killed basically
by the small practically invisible facehuggers and overly aggressive aliens
. Feels bad getting turned off so fairly close to the end xD

Deraj

I just finished it too. I felt the game went on too long, but the combination of the alien and the atmospherics never stopped being scary. One of the best games I've ever played. It reminded me of System Shock 2 and, to a lesser extent, Project Firestart.

Markitron

I could use some advice, I bought the game several months ago but put it away near the end because I got stuck. I'm not sure how to proceed, I just got insta-killed basically

I'm not 100% what part your referring to, but if it's where I think then use a shotgun for the facehuggers and a short flamethrower burst for the Aliens

GavinUK86

Spam the flamethrower in short bursts.

HagiG7

You must be at the nest. Well their spawn points are predetermined so you can just memorise them, crouch and aim steadily when they are approaching you.

Woffls

Best use of audio I've ever experienced in a game, and the resulting tension was utterly phenomenal. This game deserves every bit of praise it gets, and I'm sure as hell going to play it again one day.

I played it on hard for my first run, and it felt very well balanced. The game also runs super well on my 750 Ti SC.

Steez

So I picked up the game during the PSN sale, booted it up, picked hard mode as per tool tip recommendation and holy shit... what? I consider myself somewhat decent at video games and usually play everything on the highest difficulty setting available, but this seems impossibly hard.
I'm at the part where you have to look for some doctor's key card (mission 5, I think) and no matter how careful I progress, the Xeno gets me every single time. My death count for this section is nearing double digits.
Is this just a prominent difficulty spike, or do I straight up suck at Isolation?

Minamu

I'm not 100% what part your referring to, but if it's where I think then use a shotgun for the facehuggers and a short flamethrower burst for the Aliens

Spam the flamethrower in short bursts.

You must be at the nest. Well their spawn points are predetermined so you can just memorise them, crouch and aim steadily when they are approaching you.

Thanks, I'll try it soonish!

Codiox

So I picked up the game during the PSN sale, booted it up, picked hard mode as per tool tip recommendation and holy shit... what? I consider myself somewhat decent at video games and usually play everything on the highest difficulty setting available, but this seems impossibly hard.
I'm at the part where you have to look for some doctor's key card (mission 5, I think) and no matter how careful I progress, the Xeno gets me every single time. My death count for this section is nearing double digits.
Is this just a prominent difficulty spike, or do I straight up suck at Isolation?

Playing it atm too and just passed this stage. I'm playing on normal and died a lot in this passage.

Lovely game. The Sevastopol is such a great location, I love that it uses the Bioshock style of level design that lets you really learn and become attached to the layouts.

Probably the hardest part of the game. Definitively a difficulty spike IMO.

I really wanted to like the game, but the map-hack Xeno kind of kills it for me. When I'm hiding under a cart in a hallway full of people shooting and me and the Xeno drops in and decides to go for the one person not doing anything to it, things are a bit bogus.

That being said, I haven't seen a better example of the use of lighting and sound in a game.

The game is a love letter to fans of the original Alien (and Aliens to a point). It was gripping, tense and well designed overall. Best thing is it was a very good game itself along with being a great Alien game.

Even so, It could have used some editing for length and a little bit more variation in the gameplay department (it does get repetitive). Also, it loses some of it's flair when you get the
flamethrower
and some sections like
the Hive
were a little bit underwhelming.

I hope CA gets it's chance to make a proper sequel though, I'd love to see them expanding and refining the concept.

Brhoom

Banned
Being a survival horror fan since 1997 thanks to Alone in the dark 1992, I lost hope that we would see AAA survival horror games return, but Alien Isolation brought back AAA survival horror, and I can't forgive Gamespot or IGN for thier scores which hurted the game's sales.
(And also for giving The evil within that failed at being remotely about horror or survival or being good at all a better score, smh)

I played through Alien Isolation about 3 weeks ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It outstayed it's welcome a bit though; I definitely feel like it could have been shorter. I don't normally agree when people say a game is too long (if it's a good game, more of it usually not a problem), but the issue is that Alien Isolation's premise is rather simple, and there's not all that much variety, so it wears a bit thin as it goes on.

Also, when you get the flamethrower, and use it carefully, the Alien really isn't that much of a threat, meaning the game loses a lot of the tension that makes it so good. I played through on Hard mode, and towards the end, I found engaging the Alien sometimes made things far easier than trying to avoid it. The androids
(especially the ones in hazmat suits)
were far more of a concern, and the
facehuggers were even worse, because they were often impossible to spot/defend yourself against the first time round, and insta-killed you

Still an overall fantastic game though.

You're a fair way into the game, but you're not as close to the end as you probably think you are.

Top Bottom