• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameinformer Opinion – What Is The PS4 Going To Do This Christmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...at-is-the-ps4-going-to-do-this-christmas.aspx

The PlayStation 4 is doing well as the console continues to fortify its foothold this generation, and with exclusive hit Bloodborne just released. But trouble is on the horizon. The are currently no first-party titles officially scheduled for the system during the all-important holiday season. This will surely change, but the company could be in for a rough Christmas.

Sony could announce one or more big first-party games for the PS4 this Christmas at E3, but what can realistically come out in time? Guerrilla Games is working on a new IP, Sony Santa Monica is doing a new God of War, and Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo 7), Quantic Dream, and Media Molecule are working on unannounced projects. In my experience, it seems unlikely that any of those titles are going to be suddenly announced at E3 and then rushed out for a release in 2015.

Perhaps a way forward for Sony this holiday season would be to strike a deal with a third-party title for a timed exclusive. Hello Games' No Man Sky already fits this bill, but at the moment the game only has a nebulous 2015 release date. Hopefully Sony announces a firm holiday release date for the title, and the PS4 gets some bullets back in its chamber.

Last Christmas, Sony's first-party developers neither bombarded the platform nor hit home runs with their holiday titles – with all due respect to Driveclub and LittleBigPlanet 3 – but it didn't hamper the momentum of the PS4 through the holiday season. But if you're Sony, do you want to coast through another holiday season when your main competition is coming to the fight with Halo 5 as well as many of the same third-party titles?

Opinion piece written by the senior editor, who bring some of the same questions that are asked here. More at the link.

Lock if ps4 have no games.

Dio

Banned
It seems awful early to worry about Christmas release schedule. Not every game gets announced a year or more prior to actually coming out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
PS4 still had a good holiday season last year without any major exclusives and against MS' aggressive price cuts, which I doubt they can afford to do again. They'll probably have a major third party game bundled and market the shit out of it. Arkham and MGSV will move lots of PS4s earlier on in the year.

JNA

Banned
What possess people to talk about games in December when E3 has yet to happen?

Christ people, calm the hell down and be patient for like one or two more months.

Besides, we will get Persona 5 this year and Fallout 4. I'm good. :)

Jigorath

Banned
PS4 still had a good holiday season last year without any major exclusives and against MS' aggressive price cuts. They'll probably have a major third party game bundled and market the shit out of it.

Doesn't Sony have Battlefront marketing? That'll be huge, especially with the new movie coming out this holiday.

Welp...

tumblr_mgdfat7Gut1qer7yko1_400.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Doesn't Sony have Battlefront marketing? That'll be huge, especially with the new movie coming out this holiday.
Nothing confirmed but that's my suspicion. If they do it'll get a Destiny-esque push. That and Arkham will get a lot of fence sitters to upgrade.

gruenel

It's going to do COD, AC, FIFA and sell shitloads.

I thought everyone realized by now that exclusives don't matter much.

jbug617

Banned
They will have other exclusives. Nothing in the caliber of Uncharted 4 but something solid, maybe it's the Sony Bend game.

They will partner with a big third party game (rumor it's Battlefront) and give it a nice Limited Edition Bundle.

Then you have a holiday bundle for Black Friday.

Sony will be fine.

Marcel

Continue leading sales regardless of a lack of locked-in exclusives? I'll take my consultant check now, GI.

Squire

Banned
It seems awful early to worry about Christmas release schedule. Not every game gets announced a year or more prior to actually coming out.

To be fair: The kind of tenfold relesse that's a center piece for Christmas - your Uncharteds, your Halos, your Zeldas - those are pretty much always announced a year, if not more than that, in advance.

Sony delayed theirs. The question is pretty valid.

GnawtyDog

Banned
To be fair: The kind of tenfold relesse that's a center piece for Christmas - your Uncharteds, your Halos, your Zeldas - those are pretty much always announced a year, if not more than that, in advance.

It indeed is. The editor however knows that he will not get answers up until E3. So its wise to push that narrative before it gets answered.

hawk2025

We need to get away from, as the market matures beyond simple novelty, of thinking of videogames only as christmas gifts.

Dying Light capitalized on this beautifully with a January release date, for example.

Anyways, more on topic, I suspect that there's a game yet to be announced that will make it out this year.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think there's reason to believe something like Gran Truism could not be unveiled and released in the same year. GT6 was a May unveil and a December release.

I'm not sure they'll do that (I'm pretty sure they won't), but in general Sony has been trying to shorten their media cycles after a lot of timing issues last generation.

Marcel

Sony screwed the pooch on some of those delayed exclusives, no doubt, but I don't see it trending toward any of the other guys for the holidays if Sony has not much to show at E3. Maybe a temporary bump, a move of the needle. Xbox is good at that much.

Armadilo

Banned
What I think might happen is that the Ratchet and clank reboot game will come out this fall with No man Sky releasing around the same time and I think they will get a 3rd party marketing deal and if they splash the money I would say Star wars Battlefront

GRaider81

Sensationalist writing at its best. Even without first party stuff as long as third party games are released (and perform better) PS4 will be just fine.

Welfare

All they need to do is

$299

That would actually be enough to wipe away any competition in at least everywhere not named US and UK.

But not always, for example Gran Turismo 6 was announced in the middle of May and released the same year. But you're right it's a valid question.

GnawtyDog

Banned
All they need to do is

$299

That would actually be enough to wipe away any competition in at least everywhere not named US and UK.

That's specifically where they'll wipe off the competition. Everywhere else there is only dust already. Japan doesn't count cause reasons.

Boke1879

Does seem early to be worrying about the Holiday so soon. Also the PS4 did VERY well last Christmas as well.

First Party exclusives are MUST HAVES but it's the 3rd party games that drive sales. With Sony having a marketing agreement with the new Arkham Knight game and no doubt MGSV they have strong games to help push systems.

Also the murmurs of a Battlefront deal would do them wonders this holiday. They'll be fine.

Crayon

All they need to do is

$299

They have already wiped that competition.

As soon as sony announces 299, ms will go lower anyhow.

Seems like a good click bait article. Any system that has a healthy supply of 3rd party games will do fine. Exclusives is one piece of the puzzle but it's not everything. Drop the price and it'll do well.

Besides I think we've learned, for this gen it's Spring when all the best games come out.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't think there's reason to believe something like Gran Truism could not be unveiled and released in the same year. GT6 was a May unveil and a December release.

I'm not sure they'll do that (I'm pretty sure they won't), but in general Sony has been trying to shorten their media cycles after a lot of timing issues last generation.

Wasn't GT6 released to basically nothing though? No marketing. No advertising. It just vanished off the Earth. That's not really a good indicator of how Sony would treat a big fall game announced in June. =x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom