• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment will not release “any new major existing franchise titles” before March 31, 2025

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Concord isn't a "major existing franchise title", nor is Wolverine.
The full quote is:

"we do not plan to release any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year like God of War Ragnarok and Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.”

And it's something that was fairly obvious. Their release schedule is mostly new IPs.
Yes.. but seeing their sales expectations get lowered and not achieving previous goals, would not be in their best interest to reveal what their big studios are doing for this year ? Aside from sequel to big franchises they already told is a nono ? To me this reads like "our studios wont launch anything big this fiscal year" they just sugar coated (a little) .. wich is not good... no way to spin that if thats the case. We bash xbox endless for this, we cant move the goal post for sony.

I think sony fp studios wont launch anything single player in 2024, only third party deals and second party published games. And if thats the case, its not why most of us buy sony consoles, Ill be more than happy to be proved wrong by them but is not looking good, and have not looked good since the gaas showcase last year, and people have been in denial, and even with this statement the denial persists.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
So, no Ghost, no Days Gone, nothing?

Embarrassing.

Sort of. No "existing" franchise, so yeah no Days Gone or Ghost etc.

However, it means we'll instead get fresh new IPs. This is good news. It's far from embarrassing.

Yes.. but seeing their sales expectations get lowered and not achieving previous goals, would not be in their best interest to reveal what their big studios are doing for this year ? Aside from sequel to big franchises they already told is a nono ? To me this reads like "our studios wont launch anything big this fiscal year" they just sugar coated (a little) .. wich is not good... no way to spin that if thats the case. We bash xbox endless for this, we cant move the goal post for sony.

I think sony fp studios wont launch anything single player in 2024, only third party deals and second party published games. And if thats the case, its not why most of us buy sony consoles, Ill be more than happy to be proved wrong by them but is not looking good, and have not looked good since the gaas showcase last year, and people have been in denial, and even with this statement the denial persists.

They will. I'm no insider, but I'm pretty confident we'll get a huge SoP or Experience event by June. There we'll probably get a peak at what Bend, Bluepoint, SM, SP etc are up to.

Second party games like Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth are meant to fill the gaps while the first party studios produce their incredibly high quality games, and it works.

Maybe we see a new first party IP this year, which would be great, but if 2024 is the year of the Second Party and it means 2025 is a year of massive first party after massive first party I'd be fine with that.

Bernardougf

Gold Member

However, it means we'll instead get fresh new IPs. This is good news. It's far from embarrassing.

They will. I'm no insider, but I'm pretty confident we'll get a huge SoP or Experience event by June. There we'll probably get a peak at what Bend, Bluepoint, SM, SP etc are up to.
I understand but at this point cant we agree that this is pure hopium ? .... is the same with Phil dont putting a tweet to calm the fire in xbox camp.. you are releasing fiscal numbers that dont meet the expectations, saying that no big franchises until march 2025 at least... and leaving at that ? And lets wait for june ? ... is hopium my friend

Hunnybun

Simple, pretty much the entire industry is saying that AAA gaming is becoming more and more expensive.

It also doesn't matter if most GaaS fail, because you only need a couple of successes.

But like I said:

1. Those games are still making loads of money, even if not as much as last gen. They're not an "expense".
2. Even if they were, that STILL doesn't matter because the reason they exist in the first place is to provide a reason for people to buy the system and then spend loads of money in your store.

Sony doesn't need to make live service games to keep some other part of its business sustainable. It's just making them for the same reason every publisher is: they see the Fortnite money and think 'me too'. If they do well at it they'll just make more and more of them like Activision does with COD. You'll get less SP, not more.

Fake

Still embarrassing no matter what. Is good to get new IPs, but is still embarrassing wasting money to getting remakes and remasters that no one asked for. Thats the point.

Sequels and new IPs are what I'm about. If you want remake/remaster, at least give a very old game a shot. Fuck remastering new games.

Even more embarrassing if you count the amount of multiplayers/GaaS that are getting canceled. They really tried fo push this hard. Flop in many ways.

Three

They're launching single player games in 2024 though, stellar blade and rise of the ronin release very soon. The fact that they are developed by a studio that isn't in-house doesn't take away from the fact that they're SIE games releasing for the PS5.

Would you say 2015 was a bad year for PS4 or cause for concern? That year we only got Bloodborne, Until Dawn and The Order and coincidentally Helldivers 1 on PSN for multiplayer. No existing major franchise, all second party, and nothing for the fall. This year is very similar with its releases right down to Helldivers 2 releasing this year.

I'm not sure if they suspected a GTA6 in fall or things got pushed out of the year together but it certainly isn't something unprecedented to cause concern, there are still SIE single player games releasing this year and the next.

StueyDuck

I would advocate not expecting much beyond like, Concord or Fairgame$ type of stuff.

Those are brand new IPs that technically fit the criteria of what he's saying.
There's a few strange wording there with "major" as well.

Is astrobot considered major?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
They're launching single player games in 2024 though, stellar blade and rise of the ronin release very soon. The fact that they are developed by a studio that isn't in-house doesn't take away from the fact that they're SIE games releasing for the PS5.

Would you say 2015 was a bad year for PS4 or cause for concern? That year we only got Bloodborne, Until Dawn and The Order and coincidentally Helldivers 1 on PSN for multiplayer. No existing major franchise, all second party, and nothing for the fall. This year is very similar with its releases right down to Helldivers 2 releasing this year.

I'm not sure if they suspected a GTA6 in fall or things got pushed out of the year together but it certainly isn't something unprecedented to cause concern, there are still SIE single player games releasing this year and the next.
Bloodborne was codeveloped by japan studios and The Order with participation of sony santa monica ... they were basically first party... so is not the same case imo, but yes IF this second party games payout they are ok, but again, that is not why most of us own Playststions, SM2 came out in oct/23 not seeing anything from their FP at least until mar/2025 in the 4th to 5th year of their console and possible with the Pro in november.. does not look good for me... is a matter of opinion really but for me is not ok.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Pure copium from some people here is hilarious. We get new IPs! Yeah, they will announce a new big IP and release it the same year, right?
What are you even talking about...

Even your example logic is flawed considering we've had companies announce new ip and even release them on that day. We've also had many IP announced and released within a year in the past too.

It really just comes down to marketing and shareholder interest

Last edited:

Three

Bloodborne was codeveloped by japan studios and The Order with participation of sony santa monica ... they were basically first party... so is not the same case imo, but yes IF this second party games payout they are ok, but again, that is not why most of us own Playststions, SM2 came out in oct/23 not seeing anything from their FP at least until mar/2025 in the 4th to 5th year of their console and possible with the Pro in november.. does not look good for me... is a matter of opinion really but for me is not ok.
Their 'participation' was no different than this.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i guess the optimistic part here is, Sony could release new first party IP this year and next year.

fart town usa

Gold Member
They can always remaster games that are stuck on ps3 (co-developments included), like God of War Ascension, Puppeteer, Rain, Folklore (I think they only published it, didn't help make it).
Folklore was published by Sony, Game Republic developed it. It's surprising to me that the game hasn't been given the PS+ Classics streaming treatment. It's a great game, made a RTTP last year for it. Need to go back and finish the game, probably 60% through it.

Ar¢tos

Folklore was published by Sony, Game Republic developed it. It's surprising to me that the game hasn't been given the PS+ Classics streaming treatment. It's a great game, made a RTTP last year for it. Need to go back and finish the game, probably 60% through it.
With Game Republic long dead, it's probably a red tape nightmare to acquire (or just license) the IP.

Last edited:
RIP Ghost of Tsushima 2 anytime soon, easily the biggest Sony thing I'm looking forward to

brb committing sudoku

The technology isn’t there yet to ensure that when someone enters the room the nude bathing cutscene stops. I swear that fucking game knew the worst time to show his ass!

skyfall

They really need to step away from their template:

2OgvGad.png

Neo_game

May be that is the reason they had to release games on PC. May be there are going to be more PC release and remaster before mid next year.

Terenty

W
What are you even talking about...

Even your example logic is flawed considering we've had companies announce new ip and even release them on that day. We've also had many IP announced and released within a year in the past too.

It really just comes down to marketing and shareholder interest
When did Sony announce a new IP and release it the same year?

Lupin25

Pure copium from some people here is hilarious. We get new IPs! Yeah, they will announce a new big IP and release it the same year, right?

They already have.

Sony have exclusive content, like always.

This month they have FF7:Rebirth, Helldivers 2, Foamstars, next month is Rise of the Ronin, April is Stellar Blade.

After that, the expectation is Concord & Fairgame$. There’s too many games to play or backlog on PS to care what’s coming 6-12 months out. Not the same for Xbox, who doesn’t have the Korean/Japanese support that PS has ever had.

Hunnybun

Sony has no first party games coming out. Except all these games they funded and publishing. But they don't count. Because reasons..

Also where are my sequels? Why are you making new ip's (said no one ever usually..).

I think people want Sony first party games because they signify quality and high production values, beautiful graphics etc. It's the actual content that matters, not whether it's technically released under the same banner. Garbage like Forspoken doesn't come close to compensating.

Also, stating that they won't be releasing any big sequels does not mean - in the least - that they WILL be releasing big new IPs. At this point it's very probable that we'll get neither.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Misleading title? Technically they do not say "will not" they say "we do not plan to" which gives them some wiggle room. Also I imagine misleading shareholders is not a good look, and it is hard to imagine they begin planning to do so within this timeframe, but still.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The drought of ps5 games will be filled by Xbox games… which was made fun of due to a lack games.

It’s a strange world some days…

Last edited:

Aion002

Hopefully new stuff is coming from Sony studios before the end of the year.

Sony is doing a great job with third party exclusives, I can't wait for FFVII Rebirth, Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin on this first part of the year. I hope they can keep the good work on the second half with their first party studios.

People can be disappointed but why are people surprised. That basically was common knowledge at this point. Why would people expect a game like GoT 2 in the next 12 months when it hasn't even been announced publicly yet? Maybe slight disappointment on DS2, but that could be an April/May release for all we know.

Not ideal but not that big a deal. Sony the first half of 2024 is pretty bonkers in their game releases. Seems like a bit of a drought after that (unless maybe they have some smaller stuff from housemarque, bluepoint or Asobi to fill that gap). Now if this drought creeps into the middle or late 2025, then yea, I would say that's a problem.

JaksGhost

In 2022 they released sequels for; God of War, Horizon, and Gran Turismo. Spider-man followed in 2023. Why would anyone be expecting a sequel from those franchises this fiscal year? All this means is we’re getting new IPs this year.

//DEVIL//

This is Xbox 2022 all over.

Sony was counting on naughty dog this year but these woke mfers flipped like a dead cockroach so now they have nothing major but some 3rd party deals.

The language is unique in that it's both specific but also vague. Certainly there is more first-party to come this FY, but just not from a known/ existing franchise.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
What existing franchise were we expecting to have a new release in the next year?
Are they for sure working on the next one? That was my GOTY in... 2020(?).

The Last of Us 2 remastered remastered.

But in all seriousness I’d expect something major from Bluepoint maybe Bloodborne remastered and GoT2

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I understand but at this point cant we agree that this is pure hopium ? .... is the same with Phil dont putting a tweet to calm the fire in xbox camp.. you are releasing fiscal numbers that dont meet the expectations, saying that no big franchises until march 2025 at least... and leaving at that ? And lets wait for june ? ... is hopium my friend

Who said that these games won't be big franchises? Just because it's a new IP doesn't mean it won't be a great game.

No hopium here. Some big Sony studios have been cooking for a few years now. Would be about right to show some of them off this summer, especially if they're 2025 games.

Still embarrassing no matter what. Is good to get new IPs, but is still embarrassing wasting money to getting remakes and remasters that no one asked for. Thats the point.

Sequels and new IPs are what I'm about. If you want remake/remaster, at least give a very old game a shot. Fuck remastering new games.

Even more embarrassing if you count the amount of multiplayers/GaaS that are getting canceled. They really tried fo push this hard. Flop in many ways.

How are Sony wasting money on remakes/remasters? They make them because people buy them, therefore no money is being wasted.

You may not like them, but clearly plenty of people do. Nothing embarrassing about it.

Fake

How are Sony wasting money on remakes/remasters? They make them because people buy them, therefore no money is being wasted.

You may not like them, but clearly plenty of people do. Nothing embarrassing about it.

Making remakes waste time and resources, no?

And if there is no return? Thats a waste in my book.

And we good multiplayers like Factions getting cancelled and probably Horizon multiplayer will be the next in line. Tell me, was those dev times waste money or not?

Top Bottom