• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment will not release “any new major existing franchise titles” before March 31, 2025

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Sony Interactive Entertainment does not plan to release “any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year,” which ends on March 31, 2025, the company said during its fiscal year 2023 Q3 earnings briefing.

“Regarding first-party software, we aim to continue to focus on producing high-quality works and developing live service games,” Sony Group president, chief operating officer, and chief financial officer Hiroki Totoki said. “But while major projects are currently under development, we do not plan to release any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year (Editor’s Note: begins April 1, 2024 and ends March 31, 2025) like God of War Ragnarok and Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.”

It should be noted that while “major existing franchise titles” includes intellectual property such as God of War and Marvel’s Spider-Man, it does not include new intellectual property like Concord or non-major existing franchise titles like Until Dawn.

Totoki continued, “Although the burden of acquisition related costs will ease next fiscal year, we expect profit from first-party software to decrease slightly from this fiscal year due to the impact of the decrease in sales. Due to this, operating income for the next fiscal year is currently expected to increase slightly from this fiscal year. However, while this our baseline, we are reviewing measures for further improvement in profitability in advance of the annual forecast results announcement this May.”

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
naughty naughty OP.
Kat Graham Christmas GIF by GIF Registry

Mr Moose

What existing franchise were we expecting to have a new release in the next year?
RIP Ghost of Tsushima 2 anytime soon, easily the biggest Sony thing I'm looking forward to

brb committing sudoku
Are they for sure working on the next one? That was my GOTY in... 2020(?).

Last edited:
Regarding first-party software, we aim to continue to focus on producing high-quality works and developing live service games,
People still think their GAAS strategy would have no impact on their first party output? We already knew from their own numbers that they stopped investing on Single player games (no more growth there) and instead decided to put all their chips on services.

Now we are simply seeing the real outcome of their +2019 strategy.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

People still think their GAAS strategy would have no impact on their first party output? We already knew from their own numbers that they stopped investing on Single player games (no more growth there) and instead decided to put all their chips on services.

Jesus. This has been deboonked so many times.

Killjoy-NL

Nonsense.

They need GaaS to increase revenue for the major singleplayer games, because cost are rising.
This would also allow for more smaller titles to be funded.

GaaS is a necessity, but not a replacement. Sony has been pretty clear about this.

And looking at Helldivers 2, there is a lot of potential there, despite the pessimism of the naysayers.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
"Existing franchise"....this means we aren't getting sequels. Wasn't everyone saying they are getting tired of remasters and sequels from Sony? What's the problem here?
Yeah, I’m hoping this is what it means. Although very few of their already announced new GAAS IPs like Concord or Fairgame sound interesting to me…
Sad Lonely GIF by Pokémon

Hopefully they have some big unannounced surprises coming.

Three

Concorde maybe. Thats it.

Wolverine and Death Stranding are 2025. Nothing else even announced yet.
Concord isn't a "major existing franchise title", nor is Wolverine.
The full quote is:

"we do not plan to release any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year like God of War Ragnarok and Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.”

And it's something that was fairly obvious. Their release schedule is mostly new IPs.

Last edited:

Embearded

What are you talking about?
They didn't stop investing in SP games, they increased the GaaS investment.

We are still waiting for the announcement of Cory Barlogs new game. We only knew that he was working early stage on it, since he let someone else direct God of War Ragnarok. I think we should really soon get an announcement of it.

Bojji

What are you talking about?
They didn't stop investing in SP games, they increased the GaaS investment.

Where are the games? They have made this decisions few years ago and now in 2024 we won't have any big first party game for more than a year.

1816 - 'Year Without Summer'
2024 - 'Year Without Games'

Last edited:

Reaseru

Don't worry...they are going to release a ton of MOVIES based in their videogames.

For the viewers.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

Embearded

Where are the games? They have made this decisions few years ago and now in 2024 we won't have any big first party game for more than a year.

1816 - 'Year Without Summer'
2024 - 'Year Without Games'
You talked about their strategy and its just not true.
Game dev cycle is around 5 years and most of their first party single player studios released major games in less than 5 years.

They don't need to show trailers years before release, it puts pressure on the teams.

Astray

Gold Member
That wording is so weird.

But if that means we are getting new IPs then I'm in.

Spider-man 2 was proof that iteration + adding woke doesn't equal much of a great game.
I would advocate not expecting much beyond like, Concord or Fairgame$ type of stuff.

Those are brand new IPs that technically fit the criteria of what he's saying.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The reason why existing IP is a key differentiator is that a big proven title has built in expectations in terms of impact on sales and profitability, whereas anything new is by definition untried and thus gets thrown in the pot as part of general performance expectations for the quarter or FY.

Everything's based on forecasts, so big corporations love to get as close to a "sure thing" as possible because it allows them to push up the numbers when doing their projections. And that in turn impacts shareholder confidence.

Bojji

You talked about their strategy and its just not true.
Game dev cycle is around 5 years and most of their first party single player studios released major games in less than 5 years.

They don't need to show trailers years before release, it puts pressure on the teams.

I don't think they ever had year this weak, without paid third party "exclusives" it would be even worse.

I don't know if GaaS strategy is causing it or mismanagement or something else but fact is: this looks bad.

Top Bottom