• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Preview Program: 360 now supports 2TB External Hard Drives

jbug617

Banned
http://majornelson.com/2015/04/09/x...w-supporting-2tb-hard-drives/?linkId=13434775

Back in March we announced the Preview Program would expand to the Xbox 360 and work much like the Xbox One Preview Program – selected members would be able to sign-up directly from their Xbox 360 and once registered, have the opportunity to install system updates and experience the new or improved features before they release to the general audience. One of the most requested features at the Xbox Feedback website was for larger external storage for the Xbox 360.

The next update for Xbox 360 Preview Program members will allow the use of 2TB hard drives to store Xbox 360 data. If you are not part of the Preview program you will get this functionality later this year. In addition we will also no longer reserve space in advance on your hard drive. If you are using 16GB of hard drive space for games – we will only take 16GB of space. And just like today – you will be able to use two external drives at a time.

Note: Some drives may be incompatible or have performance issues. If you already have space reserved for storing Xbox 360 data, you will need to clear the Xbox 360 storage to gain full access to the drive. If you are in the Preview program, please review the list of known issues before formatting your drive.

As a reminder, the best way to recommend changes and improvements to the Xbox One or 360 is through the Xbox Feedback website. We appreciate your feedback and continue to work on improving the Xbox experience.

Gestault

This is super helpful for me. I've been buying downloadables on 360 basically since Geometry Wars Retro Evolved. That's a looot of games to manage, even if you're being frugal about what stays installed. And that was even before the perma-own Games with Gold games started popping up.

mcrommert

Banned
I messaged P3 about this on xbox and he responded to me asking what storage options were needed

Thanks for the quick turnaround

obviously they made this for me ;)

shandy706

Yes!!

I've been moving things around on our 250GB drive for years. The kids still use the 360 in the living room and this would let me put the truck load of free games and uninstalled digital games I bought back on it.

statham

I like that they are still improving the 360, will be on the lookout for a cheap external.

Do they even have 2TB worth of games available on the Xbox store?

Ohh 360, not one, nevermind..................
failed not once, but twice in one post.

All systems should have this functionality. Really stoked as my 120gb wasn't cutting it and I didn't want to upgrade that. Look forward to getting my full collection installed/downloaded to my external HDD. Gotta love support like this for an almost 10 year old console.

About 6 years too late on this one, MS.

On another note, I re-downloaded a bunch of XBLA games to my Xbox 360 last week and some of those game sizes are tiny compared to what we have now. So many sub-100MB games. My 320GB drive in my 360 isn't even close to being full.

Azzawon

This is good, but I can't warrant forking out for another external hard drive when I already had to for my XB1. It would be good if we could partition one for part 360/part XB1 storage.

entremet

I'm impressed that the 360 support from MS.

It's a far cry from the Xbox support. The Xbox was basically taken out to pasture.

shandy706

Do they even have 2TB worth of games available on the Xbox store?

Ohh 360, not one, nevermind..................

CespedesAB4_3.gif.opt_medium.gif

Chance at an edit....

jayson-nix-throwing-fail.gif

MarkusRJR

Thank fucking god.

I have most of my games digitally and have at least 500gb worth of games. Having a tiny 250gb hard drive was infuriating. Hopefully we get a compatibility list soon for good hard drives.

malfcn

On another note, I re-downloaded a bunch of XBLA games to my Xbox 360 last week and some of those game sizes are tiny compared to what we have now. So many sub-100MB games. My 320GB drive in my 360 isn't even close to being full.

I think there was initially a 50mb limit, that ended up expanding. Remembering correctly, Symphony of the Night was the first big approved game.

Forsythia

Finally. I'm already using 2 different HDDs, so this is not for me (not anymore), but its been too long, MS.

jesu

It doesn't say but I wonder if 64GB thumb drives work now.
Well they work already but you can only use 32GB of them.

How expensive was a 2 TB external hard drive 6 years ago?

ironcreed

Banned
Cool, but I am good with my new 500GB 360 that I just bought. More than enough for my library and the other few old games I still plan to buy for it.

HUELEN10

Sony better catch up before the completion leaves them in the dust in this regard!

Seriously, great going MS; they've been killing it lately. Now, we have 2 8th gen systems and 2 7th gen systems that you can add storage to (dat Wii SD slot complemented the internal NAND and added to it; it did not replace it) and not merely replace it. I hope Sony feels the pressure and allows externals too, it can only benefit everyone as choice is good!

Tb0ne07

Been looking to upgrade, still on the OG 10 gb hard drive...it's painful. 3 RROD and taken apart more times than I care to remember. Latest DVD drive I installed sticks sometimes but still enjoying my launch 360. Glad to see continued support.

SirKhalid

Finally, I will stop having to delete games off my hard drive or keep trying find usb drive. It was getting so full with all the Game with Gold stuff.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Very nice and unexpected, and goes well with Games with Gold.

Nonsense, especially with the Games with Gold going on, where most are almost assured of downloading around 8 gigs or more for free a month.

it'd be interesting if this signified some sort of even more cost-reduced system or bundle.

Can release an even smaller version of the 4GB model with no disc drive or no hard disk bay, with the expectation that the user will expand the storage as needed. Games on Demand is also filled out enough to where you can get a pretty decent library purely from downloads (though there are still some games that are disc-only)

vg260

This is good. Glad they're still working on the 360.

I really would like to see a mini 360 box. Wonder if there is any connection to that rumor.

That was on purpose and a huge limit to what devs could do on early XBLA.

Wikipedia said:
The original size limit imposed by Microsoft for Xbox Live Arcade games was 50MB, in order to ensure any downloaded game could fit on a 64MB Xbox memory unit. The limit has since been changed to 150MB, then 350MB, and now 2GB, the latter of which is a technical limitation of the system (rather than an arbitrary limit imposed by Microsoft).

Awesome news, now I don't have to keep shuffling data around to crappy USB sticks.

stn

So if I want to maximize my HD space I have to delete everything first? I'm pretty sure 20GB+ is "reserved" on the HD.

jesu

Just plugged an old 250GB external, a quick format and now I've got 232GB free.
Nice!
Time to move what's on my thumb drives to it now.

OnPoint

This is good news. Now if they'd let us know if XBLIG titles will still work once they pull the plug on Live I'd be happy.

I'm stunned that Microsoft is still working on the 360. Now if they could fix downloading large games from their servers.

Kriken

Sounds pretty cool, didn't really want to upgrade my 250 GB unit anyways, now to find a decent external drive

Awesome! I've been struggling to manage games on my HD ever since GwG started off. I've got an extra 500GB HD that will be great for this.

Top Bottom