• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Preview Program: 360 now supports 2TB External Hard Drives

Bizzquik

And for god's sake work out a way to get the few multi disc games out there onto the service in some way.

Totally agree. I want to be able to download these, like any other game.

At the very least, Microsoft should make it so that if all the game's discs are installed on the hard drive, you only need to leave the first disc in the tray. Disc-swapping in today's age is ridiculous.

cakely

As someone that went an entire generation saddled with insanely expensive Microsoft proprietary Xbox 360 hard drives, I just don't know how I feel about this.

Where was this feature, say eight years ago?

i hope that they add a "ready to install list" to Xbox 360 that shows games that you own that aren't currently installed. something that would be exactly like how it functions on Xbox One:
6da8f0c1-c447-4c32-bdea-6a0a4180dc7a.png

I have so many 360 downloadable games (especially with Games with Gold now) that I sometimes lose track. It would be nice to quickly view what I own without having to login to backloggery or something.

EDIT: i found a link on Xbox Feedback for it. please vote for it so that we could make it happen!

i hope that they add a "ready to install list" to Xbox 360 that shows games that you own that aren't currently installed. something that would be exactly like how it functions on Xbox One:
6da8f0c1-c447-4c32-bdea-6a0a4180dc7a.png

I have so many 360 downloadable games (especially with Games with Gold now) that I sometimes lose track. It would be nice to quickly view what I own without having to login to backloggery or something.

EDIT: i found a link on Xbox Feedback for it. please vote for it so that we could make it happen!

You can do this in the settings on 360. But it's a list of everything you've downloaded, rather than a list of just the games.

Wow just when I was about to buy the 500 gig the other day but Amazon wasn't working for me so I just left it. Talk about getting lucky.

Any news on whether a portable hard drive will work?

If so, will it require a y-cable (and therefore two open 360 USB ports)...?

Because it's USB 2.0, depending on the drive, you could need a Y cable or external power. It might work without it but on the Wii U, which also has USB 2.0 ports, my external drives don't work reliably without a Y cable or external power.

Where was this feature, say eight years ago?

First, this is prep-work for the 360's new life as a solid-state, small form-factor box. They did not need this capability 8 years ago but they do now. Secondly, console-makers gouge their users with expensive accessories so they can make up the profit lost on the loss-leading system. Why didn't the PS2 let you save on USB sticks instead of memory cards? They had the ports. Why do these first-party controllers always cost so much? When 360 was designed and released, this was par for the course. It was only after the PS3 debuted with user-replaceable drives a year later that things changed. They should have reacted sooner, but I guess they felt like the accessory money was worth any grumbling that occurred.

Terra

1. Does this work on old, non-slim Xbox360''s?

2. Will this be included in an ordinary patch down the road?

Chitown B

Because it's USB 2.0, depending on the drive, you could need a Y cable or external power. It might work without it but on the Wii U, which also has USB 2.0 ports, my external drives don't work reliably without a Y cable or external power.

First, this is prep-work for the 360's new life as a solid-state, small form-factor box. They did not need this capability 8 years ago but they do now. Secondly, console-makers gouge their users with expensive accessories so they can make up the profit lost on the loss-leading system. Why didn't the PS2 let you save on USB sticks instead of memory cards? They had the ports. Why do these first-party controllers always cost so much? When 360 was designed and released, this was par for the course. It was only after the PS3 debuted with user-replaceable drives a year later that things changed. They should have reacted sooner, but I guess they felt like the accessory money was worth any grumbling that occurred.

truth.

Well, I will probably hook up an old tb drive and download all the games I've ever purchased just to have them at the ready for my son.

why not just do it on the website? it's faster there anyway.

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Download/History

"Add to Queue"

cause sometimes on the spur of the moment i want to see on my console as i'm looking at "my games" for something to play without my lazy ass having to get up and walk to another room to turn on my computer lol (or go through the hassle of doing it on mobile). not to mention i just tried using it now and i just got a "loading circle" and it never loaded

tumblr_mfnm2wZaN41s1ydpro1_400.gif

I've got an extra 500GB HD that will be great for this.

Me, too! I wasn't sure what to do with it, but I guess this is a great way to put it to use, especially with all of those Games with Gold games taking up so much space.

My brother is rocking a 20GB hard drive with a bunch of little USB drives sticking out of it, so this should make him happy, too.

Bizzquik

Any news on whether a portable hard drive will work?
If so, will it require a y-cable (and therefore two open 360 USB ports)...?

Thanks for the reply.

So basically any device that does USB 2.0 can power a portable hard drive using its two USB 2.0 ports and a y-cable ...?
I'd be completely fine with that. I just love the idea of portable hard drives because I don't want to have so many things plugged in to my already-crowded electrical outlets & power strips. :)

LordOfChaos

Thanks for the reply.

So basically any device that does USB 2.0 can power a portable hard drive using its two USB 2.0 ports and a y-cable ...?
I'd be completely fine with that. I just love the idea of portable hard drives because I don't want to have so many things plugged in to my already-crowded electrical outlets & power strips. :)

For the record portable hard drives have worked fine on most USB 2 ports I've used on modern computers, and the 360 included. It didn't work on one decade-plus old Pentium 4 based desktop, but that's understandable. The Wii U has some issues with them, but it's Nintendo-Special.

Different ones have different power requirements, but generally ones built around USB 2.0 to start with are aware of its power output and will work fine with them. I have a 3.0 one that's backwards compatible that also works fine.

But yeah, worst case is you need a Y cable for two ports.

I wonder what this will mean for the proprietary drives going forward. We thinking price drops, discontinuation, or status quo? Because if we see them drop to prices even somewhat comparable to standard external drives I'd prefer to pick one of those up. I already have a HDD attached to my Wii U and will need one for my Xbox One before too long. I'd rather not have another piece of hardware under my TV, even if it is a compact one.

MrBenchmark

Thanks for the reply.

For the record portable hard drives have worked fine on most USB 2 ports I've used on modern computers, and the 360 included. It didn't work on one decade-plus old Pentium 4 based desktop, but that's understandable. The Wii U has some issues with them, but it's Nintendo-Special.

Different ones have different power requirements, but generally ones built around USB 2.0 to start with are aware of its power output and will work fine with them. I have a 3.0 one that's backwards compatible that also works fine.

But yeah, worst case is you need a Y cable for two ports.
I have the 500 gb from my PS4 in an enclosure that uses a regular single not a y cable and it works perfect.

EctoPrime

In several years 2TB USB drives will be affordable unlike today with 1TB models cost over $800. External drives will work perfectly fine until that day though.

I wonder if there will be a speed disadvantage in using an external drive vs my "built in" 250 gig drive.
Anyone that has games installed on a usb thumb drive notice any difference in load times?

I wonder if there will be a speed disadvantage in using an external drive vs my "built in" 250 gig drive.
Anyone that has games installed on a usb thumb drive notice any difference in load times?

World of Tanks loads faster on my USB flash drive, but that could be due to the age of the HDD? I'll be ordering a larger thumb drive tomorrow to test more games.

bede-x

That is awesome news especially with all the Gold games we've been getting. It's a huge advantage that they don't expire when you stop subscribing and I intent to try and store them as long as I can on a 2TB drive, when the time comes to shut down XBL for the 360 many years from now.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
YESSSSSSSSS

I'M STILL ROCKING the 20GB HDD lol

Seriously, I'll play my 360 even more now (WiiU>360>>>PS4>>>>>>X1>PS3>>Wii in my house), love this news

Awesome! About damn time MS!

Going to have to be on the lookout for a cheap external drive. Having the 4GB internal memory and a 16GB flash drive just isn't enough with all the GwG games coming out. My 360 downloads are ridiculously slow so I usually just don't play instead of waiting and moving and deleting other stuff to make room.

Hooked up a 128GB USB3 flash drive I got for cheap last night and it worked like a champ. I technically don't NEED the space (I have a 250GB internal and am not a digital hoarder) but it's nice to have the option and I wanted to test it, since that's why I volunteered to be in the program in the first place. Speeds seem really good despite the fact that the 360's ports are only USB2.0. Also, I could not get the drive to work in the rear port for some reason. I know someone else in the thread stated the same thing.

RootCause

That's amazing. So I can install, and play games of the external drive? I'm installing my entire 360 collection. Wish the PS3, and ps4 had this.
By the way, has anyone experienced sluggish ui performance on the 360 lately? It doesn't feel as fast as it used to.

vg260

Hooked up a 128GB USB3 flash drive I got for cheap last night and it worked like a champ. I technically don't NEED the space (I have a 250GB internal and am not a digital hoarder) but it's nice to have the option and I wanted to test it, since that's why I volunteered to be in the program in the first place. Speeds seem really good despite the fact that the 360's ports are only USB2.0. Also, I could not get the drive to work in the rear port for some reason. I know someone else in the thread stated the same thing.

How fast is USB compared to the stock HD?

clav

That's amazing. So I can install, and play games of the external drive? I'm installing my entire 360 collection. Wish the PS3, and ps4 had this.
By the way, has anyone experienced sluggish ui performance on the 360 lately? It doesn't feel as fast as it used to.

Might be the hard drive running its course. If you put all your dash stuff on a flash drive that has decent recent/write speeds, you will see a boost.

Hopefully the OG Xbox backwards compatibility feature can be moved to a USB drive in the near future.

I was tempted to buy a used 360, but I think I will wait for any future announcements regarding a new 360 console or Xbox One integration.

Does anyone know if this feature works with these two things:

• Original Xbox game playback - don't these only work with MS HDDs and not USB thumb drives right now?
  • Xbox 360 games that say HARD DRIVE REQUIRED (as opposed to STORAGE REQUIRED) and won't currently accept a USB memory stick for installations (Battlefield 4, Destiny, or MGS5:GZ, for instance)?

jesu

Having an almost retro night tonight playing the 360 games I didn't have installed.

Blur is still amazing, 27 people online an still getting into 10 player races!
Even getting decent 4 or 5 player races in Split/Second.
Going to try GoW Judgment next, should be busy-ish because of GwG anyway though.

RyudBoy

Eh, I have an empty USB 2.0 drive that I hope is compatible. Didn't work for Xbox One but maybe I'll have better luck with it here.

Anyone else in the preview program's dash navigation substantially speedier? I feel like mine is, but I'm not sure if that's just me remembering it being slower or if its gotten faster.

MrBenchmark

Does anyone know if this feature works with these two things:

• Original Xbox game playback - don't these only work with MS HDDs and not USB thumb drives right now?
  • Xbox 360 games that say HARD DRIVE REQUIRED (as opposed to STORAGE REQUIRED) and won't currently accept a USB memory stick for installations (Battlefield 4 or MGS5:GZ, for instance)?

Not sure but i did report in the preview forum i had an error with destiny saying the dlc was missing moved it all back to internal and then it loaded right up.

Chitown B

Having an almost retro night tonight playing the 360 games I didn't have installed.

Blur is still amazing, 27 people online an still getting into 10 player races!
Even getting decent 4 or 5 player races in Split/Second.
Going to try GoW Judgment next, should be busy-ish because of GwG anyway though.

Blur is so good. I am really sad Bizzare shut down.

My history is littered with "Unknown Title", and when I click to add them to the download queue it says, "Sorry, this item is no longer available." Are these Xbox One items?

yes.

Top Bottom