• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Preview Program: 360 now supports 2TB External Hard Drives

vg260

kind of a slap in the face after forcing people to buy overpriced proprietary HHDs for 7 years

How can this be spun as a negative thing? They're finally coming around. That's for the better.

Wonder what's prompted MS to go back to the 360 with major updates? Do they have further plans for the system?

I think it ties into their windows 10 initiative, perhaps? Also some kind of streamlined mini 360 has been speculated, though only speculation at this point. This would make sense for a cheap mini digital-only 360 box with a small amount of storage.

Darkangel

I love that the Xbox 360 is still getting support nearly a decade after its release. I hope they give us one final (1080p) dashboard redesign before its all over.

Gaogaogao

I would really like it if blue dragon and lost odyssey were available for download online. they are published by Microsoft, so idk whats the hold up.

MaulerX

I think it ties into their windows 10 initiative, perhaps? Also some kind of streamlined mini 360 has been speculated, though only speculation at this point. This would make sense for a cheap mini digital-only 360 box with a small amount of storage.

Hmmm.... A mini disc-less 360 on the horizon?

I love that the Xbox 360 is still getting support nearly a decade after its release. I hope they give us one final (1080p) dashboard redesign before its all over.
As long as it doesn't slow anything down. The 360 interface is pretty snappy now, and there was a time when it wasn't.

time to build my x360 digital library instead of downloading and deleting.

I'm guessing it's still going to make the dash slow as shit if you have more than 20 or so games installed but hopefully I am wrong. Until then, I maintain that download->beat->delete is the best method for the 360.

Wonder what's prompted MS to go back to the 360 with major updates? Do they have further plans for the system?

A cheap, small, disc-less 360 with 128GB flash and full support for external drives could be a really nice product. I think they could expand the RAM for the dash and apps which would make them much snappier, and still maintain compatibility for older downloadable titles.

Trago

Wow, I was just a few clicks from buying that overpriced 500GB hard drive from Microsoft for the 360 lol.

There are a bunch of Live Arcade games that aren't sold on Steam or PSN that I want to purchase.

ironcreed

Banned

It's still an amazing system with a ton of games. Hell, I just bought another one, myself. I also own an Xbox One and PS4, but it still feels great to hop back on the 360 as well.

MrBenchmark

Pay attention to known issues fyi
An update for the Xbox 360 Preview Program is available today at 8AM PT. This update contains an upgrade to external storage, allowing for hard drives up to 2TB to be supported.

HOW TO GET IT
◾At 8AM PT, your console may be automatically prompted for the update.
◾If you do not receive a prompt: ◾Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
◾Select Network Settings.
◾If prompted, select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network.
◾Select Test Xbox Live Connection.

◾Choose Yes when prompted for the update.

DETAILS

OS version released: 2.0.17335.0
Available: 8AM 4/9 (4PM GMT)

NEW FEATURES
◾External Storage Upgrade: Starting with the next update for Preview - Xbox 360 Preview participants will be able to use any hard drive up to 2TB to store 360 data.

In addition we will also no longer reserve space in advance on your hard drive. If you are using 16GB of games – we will only take 16GB of space and just like today you will be able to use two external drives at a time. With two external hard drives, you can have up to 4TB of external storage.

KNOWN ISSUES
◾If you do not have an internal hard drive or memory unit for your Xbox 360, you may not be able to connect to Live using just external storage – please do not format your existing external storage devices at this time. This will be addressed in a future update.
◾Some drives may be incompatible or have performance issues.
◾If you already have space reserved for storing Xbox 360 data on your existing external hard drive, you will need to clear the storage to gain full access to the drive.

3371284.gif

This is actually great,I haven't payed my 360 much as I'm mainly on Xbox One but I'm building a big ass back catalog of games from GWG. This is much needed news as I plan to go back and dwell on those games sooner or later.

vg260

only if they get all the games up online

That's really up to the publisher as there's no technical work for resubmission needed on the dev side, unlike the PS3. MS's staggered digital release policy was mainly what was holding back a lot of games for a long time.

HUELEN10

What do you guys think is the chance of MS releasing a hardware-based 360 that plugs into the One on the side (and adds maybe an inch or 2 to the left side yet fits flush, and that this update is to help you get a 360 external ready so you can just connect to the back, snap the hardware on the side, and play?

Because I would gladly pay money for such a thing for my One. Imagine using a One controller for all your games and imagine being able to play all of Microsoft's 7th and 8th gen classics on one box!

Vashetti

Banned
What do you guys think is the chance of MS releasing a hardware-based 360 that plugs into the One on the side (and adds maybe an inch or 2 to the left side yet fits flush, and that this update is to help you get a 360 external ready so you can just connect to the back, snap the hardware on the side, and play?

Because I would gladly pay money for such a thing for my One. Imagine using a One controller for all your games and imagine being able to play all of Microsoft's 7th and 8th gen classics on one box!

The input lag would likely be too severe for this to be feasible.

A smaller 360 model is possible, though.

Sydle

0%

I think there's a good chance we'll see a smaller digital-only 360 though with something like AirPlay that allows people to play things from their Windows-based phone, tablet, or PC on their TV.

yatesl

I don't touch my Xbox, but have a need to have everything downloaded. I have a 250 drive and been rotating 32GB USB sticks constantly...

Gaogaogao

better to just make a small independent box

Bizzquik

Any news on whether a portable hard drive will work?

If so, will it require a y-cable (and therefore two open 360 USB ports)...?

Xellos

This is pretty nice. I've been wanting to upgrade my old, noisy, ~2010 360 for one of the newer 'e' models, but didn't want to pay $250 for one with a HDD or $100 for the HDD itself. Now I can just look for a good deal on a 4GB unit and use of the external drives I already have.

Z_Y

I'm guessing USB 3.0 isn't a requirement as it is on he XB1? Hope not. I have an old 500gb I could throw on it.

I hope they let us use the USB port in the rear for the external drive though. Would be pretty lame if we can't.

I'm guessing USB 3.0 isn't a requirement as it is on he XB1? Hope not. I have an old 500gb I could throw on it.

I hope they let us use the USB port in the rear for the external drive though. Would be pretty lame if we can't.

360 has USB 2.0, so no. As for the rear USB ports, of course you can.

Probably not. 360 only has USB 2.0

jesu

Yeah it's USB 2.
I'm using this, it's ancient

2047012-seagate-232gb-hard-drive-0.jpg

You should be able to use the back port, as it works with thumb drives.

theRizzle

Well this is good news. My 250 gig HD in my 360 is right up against the wall.. around 10 gigs free, though I do have about 15 gigs of disc installs on there also.

I really hope they are going to change the patching system so that game updates stay installed onto the HD instead of getting cleared from the cache after 10 or 15 other games or whatever the limit is now.

Z_Y

Yeah it's USB 2.
I'm using this, it's ancient

2047012-seagate-232gb-hard-drive-0.jpg

You should be able to use the back port, as it works with thumb drives.

Thats... weird. I have flash drive connected to a rear port and it works fine.

Hmmm... I have two 32 gbs in the front slots. Maybe there is a max only 2 allowed?

So now my statement becomes...I hope we can combine an external in the back with 2 thumb drives in the front.

I want....all the space.

edit:
And just like today – you will be able to use two external drives at a time.

Well there is my answer.

jesu

Hmmm... I have two 32 gbs in the front slots. Maybe there is a max only 2 allowed?

So now my statement becomes...I hope we can combine an external in the back with 2 thumb drives in the front.

I want....all the space.

Yes it's only 2 at a time.
Even now it's only 2 at a time.

DarkCloud

Bout time. When this gets rolled out to everyone I'm so there.

And now with all the room in the world as it were it sure would be nice if they'd try and encourage 3rd parties to bring their older titles to the service that aren't already there. as much as there is on GOD there's a lot from my disc collection that's missing. Cut them a deal on whatever fees are involved.

And for god's sake work out a way to get the few multi disc games out there onto the service in some way. It's annoying that I can buy sequels to games that I can't get the whole series for due to the fact the 1st game was on multiple discs. If nothing else at least get lost odyssey, blue dragon, and infinite undiscovery on there as those are titles they own.

moorecore

Neo Member
Now all we need to ensure we can play our games when they switch off 360's live is...

• A method of storing / easily installing title updates when the servers are offline
  • The ability to back up data (games/dlc/saves) as one batch process

I have a 500GB and a 320GB drive that I've been swapping out for a couple of years now. Both of them are pretty much full. This is an excellent change, and long overdue.

Top Bottom