• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is completely ghostable, also during boss fights

Red Hood

Banned
I haven't seen the bigger news sites talk about this not a thread on GAF, which was odd since I find this to be great news and worthy of more coverage. It's basically a bunch of tweets from the game director, a certain Jean-François Dugas, where he answered a few questions by fans. Apparently you can also ghost during boss battles. I'm curious if you can even ignore/avoid/postpone them like in the original Deus Ex.

The recently revealed Deus Ex: Mankind Divided surprised us all, and excited a lot of fans of the Deus Ex franchise. Some new information has been revealed after that with several aspects being detailed, that we have previously covered. Once again Game Director Jean-François Dugas has been answering a few questions from the community on Twitter. ghostable

A fan asked whether Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will be ghostable, to which Dugas replied that it will and for the first time even during boss fights. This indeed sounds incredible, for fans of the stealthy approach being able to go through whole level, including boss fights without being seen is utterly amazing. Dugas continues to explain that conversations boss battles are coming back.

Dugas stated that the ‘Give me Deus Ex’ setting will be back, and even though it won’t be as hard as the 1999 original, we should expect a real challenge. Mankind Divided will for the most part consist of the same team members from Human Revolution. Dugas also explained that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will be true to Human Revolution yet different at the same time.

In response to how will the camera work in Deus Ex: mankind Divided, Dugas said that it will be similar to the camera in Human Revolution. Also answering as fan’s question as to whether a New Game + will be included, he responded that he would love it, so we’ll see.

A lot of fans are definitely looking forward to some more substantial information such a specific release date as well as some gameplay footage, and we should probably get both at E3 2015 in June. Until then we should probably get by with these little tidbits of information being revealed by members of the developing team.

Source: http://wccftech.com/deus-mankind-divided-ghostable-bosses-true-human-revolution/

Marcel

Good. If the boss fights of Human Revolution are any indication, I'm definitely not going to miss anything by skipping the fights of Mankind Divided and get a nice stealth bonus for doing so.

Exciting news all around. What would be truly neat is if boss fights could be circumvented by the conversation battles, or just
a return of kill words.

The boss fights were literally my only gripe with Human Revolution. Being forced to fight after heavily investing into stealth skills/abilities was a real bummer and just didn't feel right.

If they actually get it right this time, this game could potentially be up there as one of the best of all time for me!

ricki42

Sounds promising. I haven't played the HR Director's Cut yet, but aren't the boss battles ghostable in that one as well?

Hopeford

In response to how will the camera work in Deus Ex: mankind Divided, Dugas said that it will be similar to the camera in Human Revolution.

This is more important to me than the ghosting. One thing I loved in HR was how the camera just immediately moved wherever you pointed instead of moving slowly for the sake of "realism." I mean sure, the instant camera snap was unrealistic and all--but it was fun, responsive and I loved it. Also loved it going into third person when you took cover.

Really happy to hear that.

Exciting news all around. What would be truly neat is if boss fights could be circumvented by the conversation battles, or just
a return of kill words.

I'd love for conversations mid-fight that could be used to distract or talk down a boss enemy.

HR's conversation trees were some of the best I've seen in games in that they not only had tangible effects on the game's outcome, but also were believable. Hope more is done with them.

Dsyndrome

Glad to hear the game can be totally ghosted, wish their wasn't a clear XP push to play one way or the other though.

impact

Banned
The fact that there's boss fights makes me less excited

Seriously I think HR would maybe have been a 10/10 that I replayed multiple times if it didn't have those horrendous boss fights. As it is I can't even get through it once.

Jb

Very cool. Always a huge plus for me as it makes replaying a game so much more interesting.

Red Hood

Banned
Sounds promising. I haven't played the HR Director's Cut yet, but aren't the boss battles ghostable in that one as well?

No, you could only use hacking to replenish ammo and whatnot. But you still had to confront them and kill them. In terms of boss fights definitely a lot better than the vanilla version, but still a lot of steps behind the original Deus Ex's boss fights (even though I preferred Human Revolution in general).

Lunar15

Good. If the boss fights of Human Revolution are any indication, I'm definitely not going to miss anything by skipping the fights of Mankind Divided and get a nice stealth bonus for doing so.

Given that the official line is that they outsourced those fights and are not doing that this time, I wouldn't use the last game's fights as a template for these.

epmode

The big thing I'm hoping for is a change to an objective based XP system rather than Human Revolution's system which actively encouraged using non-lethal takedowns on everything. Provide experience only when objectives are achieved and several other playstyles become feasible, like ghosting and full murderbot.

Hopeford

Given that the official line is that they outsourced those fights and are not doing that this time, I wouldn't use the last game's fights as a template for these.

Yeah, if anything we should probably look at the DLC boss fight as a basis which I think was done in-house and was absolutely amazing.

this was my issue with HR. The minmaxer in me felt obligated to ghost through a whole area then backtrack and knock them all out. I mean it was fun but slow going.

That was HR's single biggest weakness, in my opinion, much moreso than the boss fights. The fact that every knockout, every hack, every alternate path you took got you more experience points made it such a compulsive playthrough for me. It would feel much more organic if you were actually incentivized to find passwords, avoid risky takedowns, and generally infiltrate as efficiently as possible rather than go through each level three times to find everything.

Marcel

That's good. In any event, more choices for negotiating encounters is always a good thing.

ricki42

The fact that there's boss fights makes me less excited.

Does it still count as a boss 'fight' if it's ghostable? It sounds like you can basically avoid fighting altogether.

No, you could only use hacking to replenish ammo and whatnot. But you still had to confront them and kill them. In terms of boss fights definitely a lot better than the vanilla version, but still a lot of steps behind the original Deus Ex's boss fights (even though I preferred Human Revolution in general).

Ah, OK, thanks for the explanation. I should really get around to playing the DC (and finish the original).

Hallelujah

This is doubly good since I really disliked the shooting in Dead Ex: HR and boss battles were the worst of it. Never finished that one up because of it.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Seriously I think HR would maybe have been a 10/10 that I replayed multiple times if it didn't have those horrendous boss fights. As it is I can't even get through it once.

I just kept a revolver with a laser sight and explosive rounds for the bosses. Made the fights pretty easy.

impact

Banned
Does it still count as a boss 'fight' if it's ghostable? It sounds like you can basically avoid fighting altogether.

Ah, OK, thanks for the explanation. I should really get around to playing the DC (and finish the original).
Depends. They said bosses didn't suck in the DC but they did indeed suck.

Red Hood

Banned
But do I get penalized for NOT going ghost/stealth?

I loved, and still love, playing DX:HR non-lethal and stealthy, but I agree. It kinda pushes you to play a certain way. I often caught myself knocking out every single enemy, not because I wanted to, but because I didn't want to miss out on EXP. I'd like it a lot if they forget about takedown bonuses all together, like Deus Ex 1 or Dishonored for example.

They should keep the Ghost and Smooth Operator bonuses though.

Depends. They said bosses didn't suck in the DC but they did indeed suck.

Deus Ex had a great boss fight that if you performed a task early in the game for the doctor (I think) later on in the game he would give you the killswitch code to use on of the cyborg following you. Otherwise you fight them, pretty cool to use the code and move on.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The big thing I'm hoping for is a change to an objective based XP system rather than Human Revolution's system which actively encouraged using non-lethal takedowns on everything. Provide experience only when objectives are achieved and several other playstyles become feasible, like ghosting and full murderbot.

Agreed. Hacking the systems right now on my first playthrough of Human Revolution is driving me crazy. The only reason I'm doing it is for the +50 EXP each successful hack I get for the sake of praxis points.

They should just have Praxis (or whatever for more augs) be store buyable/findable from now on. The whole EXP system is just wonky and has been since the first Deus Ex.

myco666

Good! Only thing that I thought was bad in HR were boss fights since they were clearly ment for offensive skills.

The fact that there's boss fights makes me less excited
That was my take away. What a waste of effort on something that the game doesn't need. I would love to know how the JP side of the business is influencing this game this time around.
Dugas continues to explain that conversations boss battles are coming back.
Can't wait to be stabbed in the face for picking the wrong conversation option then.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Agreed on the whole XP issue, it definitely didn't 'pay off' to use the computer passwords in a lot of the cases if you had any points in the computer systems, and doubling back to take care of enemies for xp after ghosting could let you get significant levels of XP, which translated into more praxis kits.

Will be interesting to see how they adjust this, especially with them being on record as wanting you to have the freedom to use powers more often.

Being able to stealth bosses is a cool touch, tho.

A-V-B

Do you think talking down boss fights is expecting too much? Like, that's a bit too.. Obsidian-y?

edit: Oh, yay!

Top Bottom