• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is completely ghostable, also during boss fights

Red Hood

Banned
I really, really hope we get an NG+ mode.

I'd like one too, but it has to have a lot more added value than the NG+ from the Director's Cut. Basically the only thing we can keep there is the augmentations, the rest stays the same. And since I always play the Give Me Deus Ex mode, there's nothing different for me in terms of challenge or otherwise. It even makes it a lot easier having the ability to cloak and whatnot from the get-go.

I'm still really glad that energy's gonna generally recharge much more. I don't want an entire inventory full of candy bars again.

It is not the way I play, but I 100% love that this option is available^^ I felt like Dishonored and the Director's cut of Human Revolution brought in some diverse fans and gameplay stories thanks to having these possibilities open to us^^

Kvik

Remember "The End" boss battle in MGS3? That's what I called "completely ghostable" (among other things -- such a great boss battle)

Although I wouldn't be fair if I expected DXMD will top that. I'll be happy if it's even just half as interesting

Hulohot

Neo Member
I hope the talking down takes place during combat. Trying to survive the attacks and choosing which option to say. Heck it would be cool to just talk them down then shoot them as they drop their guard.

ArmsOfSorrow

Neo Member
That's good news. I remember having to try a boss in HR many times because I simply lacked the proper equipment; I'm curious how the balance in this game will be, overall.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
good news, i loved ninja-ing my way through the game but did have qualms at the brute-force boss fights

this was my issue with HR. The minmaxer in me felt obligated to ghost through a whole area then backtrack and knock them all out. I mean it was fun but slow going.

how is that an issue with the game, though? just don't play like that and it won't be slow

Altazor

I hope I can do the same thing I did in The Witcher 2 (TW2 spoilers)
where I completely avoided the "final" fight just by talking with Letho.

In any case, all this sounds great to me. Can't wait to finally play it :D

Enco

HR and Dishonored are two unforgettable games and I hope this joins their ranks.

To this day I still remeber a lot of HR and how amazing it was to see the world. Can't wait for this.

Oh man, I love ghosting in games.

get

DOWN

Banned
This is more important to me than the ghosting. One thing I loved in HR was how the camera just immediately moved wherever you pointed instead of moving slowly for the sake of "realism." I mean sure, the instant camera snap was unrealistic and all--but it was fun, responsive and I loved it. Also loved it going into third person when you took cover.

Really happy to hear that.

I hate instant camera snap :( It's more popular with PC, but it looks like video game junk. I appreciate that a lot of console-centric games with strong visual sensibility have hints of camera acceleration so it can move more artfully when you want and doesn't look like it's being jerked by a mouse. That cinema campaign brilliance.

KePoW

Banned
As a non-stealth player, how does that work with bosses? Doesn't that sound super easy to just choose a conversation option and skip a boss?

Just seems kinda silly but maybe I don't know how it works

Nugg

As a non-stealth player, how does that work with bosses? Doesn't that sound super easy to just choose a conversation option and skip a boss?

It probably be more subtle than that. Maybe for instance you'll need some super hidden piece of info to even have the dialog option you need, or you'll have to disable stuff beforehand, or have the right augs, there's tons of ways to deal with it.

DOWN

Banned

It probably be more subtle than that. Maybe for instance you'll need some super hidden piece of info to even have the dialog option you need, or you'll have to disable stuff beforehand, or have the right augs, there's tons of ways to deal with it.

They didn't say you don't get into the fight event, they just are saying you don't have to let them fight you. I doubt you skip entirely. More likely you just remain hidden in the room and make a tricky exit from the fight without them finding you.

I'm pretty serious. I just find all of this excitement over minutiae not to mention something that should be assumed is silly.
We're on a videogame messageboard. Of course you're going to find excitement over minutiae. Game length, difficulty, modes, etc all get big threads here. This is nothing out of the ordinary. Ghosting implies that it can be a very nonlethal game, which is antithetical to most AAA games. Very few games accommodate for such a playstyle, even if past games in the series have a reputation for it, can't always expect it in big budget sequels to a niche franchise.

DOWN

Banned
I'm pretty serious. I just find all of this excitement over minutiae not to mention something that should be assumed is silly.

This is a rare option in major games and wasn't possible in the last game due to a different structure for boss fights.

We're on a videogame messageboard. Of course you're going to find excitement over minutiae. Game length, difficulty, modes, etc all get big threads here. This is nothing out of the ordinary. Ghosting implies that it can be a very nonlethal game, which is antithetical to most AAA games. Very few games accommodate for such a playstyle, even if past games in the series have a reputation for it, can't always expect it in big budget sequels to a niche franchise.
This is a rare option in major games and wasn't possible in the last game due to a different structure for boss fights.

h51jUPs.gif

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Why do people care about this?

fyi thread shitting is bannable and as a junior it would be perma

if you aren't interested in a thread, skip it and you'll have a better time here

the last game in this series didn't have this so why would people assume it'll be in this one? i mean how many games even give you this option?

That's awesome... I hope it's very challenge and requires a lot of preparation, too.

So, not just an isolated event where during the boss fight you perform X, Y, Z in a row and you can remain in stealth to end the encounter...

But instead, for the entire level, you have to set up events, alliances, get items, plan ambushes or distractions, and this sort of 'perfect timing' of events that let you execute the event in a sort of 'perfect stealth' way.

Give me Deus Ex is great news, too... I hope the game has great HUD customization, too. I want to play on as realistic a difficulty as possible with as little HUD as possible. And, of course, NewGame+ is huge because it's fun to keep tracking your stats, XP, time played or whatever through multiple playthroughs... I wish GTA V (or DX HR, original, or ME trilogy for that matter) had that where just your 'Social Club user Stats' transferred, so you could see just how many miles you walked, bullets you've fired, etc.

DeanBDean

Why do people care about this?

If you're not familiar with Deus Ex: HR, then I can slightly understand this question. If you go back and look over the reviews, the one constant negative was the weak ending and the HORRENDOUS boss fights. The weak ending was somewhat forgivable because the game is pretty great right until the "press the button to select ending" garbage.

The boss fights however were nearly gamebreaking for certain playstyles. Even with the heavy shooter playstyle, they weren't particularly fun. The bosses were bullet sponges with annoying attack patterns. If one chose the passive route though, you were literally caught unprepared for the first fight. There were weapons strewn around the place, but I was literally saving, getting some hits in, saving, repeat. That's not very fun.

So it's a big deal when they're announcing that the worst part of the last game is no more.

arhra

Imagine if "Game over if you fire a gun or attack someone". Stealth genre redeemed.

With the custom difficulty settings you could set up last year's Thief game (also Eidos Montreal, although a different team) to be the equivalent of exactly that.

I had it set so it was a game-over if I killed someone, knocked them out, or was even seen by an enemy (although it still had some forced "cinematic" escape sequences and the like where that didn't apply).

Hopeford

I hate instant camera snap :( It's more popular with PC, but it looks like video game junk. I appreciate that a lot of console-centric games with strong visual sensibility have hints of camera acceleration so it can move more artfully when you want and doesn't look like it's being jerked by a mouse. That cinema campaign brilliance.

Yeah, I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone. Totally understand why it wouldn't be your thing. Personally though, I don't like the artful movement. I agree that it makes it more cinematic, but I just find something about the instant, unrealistic camera movement to be charming as hell. I think that the artful camera acceleration just feels like a bit of a nuisance after a couple of hours of gameplay.

Well, to me at least. I can totally see why you would feel the exact opposite way, haha. I probably am alone in this regard, I have some weird preferences about cameras.

DOWN

Banned
Yeah, I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone. Totally understand why it wouldn't be your thing. Personally though, I don't like the artful movement. I agree that it makes it more cinematic, but I just find something about the instant, unrealistic camera movement to be charming as hell. I think that the artful camera acceleration just feels like a bit of a nuisance after a couple of hours of gameplay.

Well, to me at least. I can totally see why you would feel the exact opposite way, haha. I probably am alone in this regard, I have some weird preferences about cameras.

I move the camera like they do in E3 demos naturally, so it fits my play style really well since I already avoid the camera jerking.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
this was my issue with HR. The minmaxer in me felt obligated to ghost through a whole area then backtrack and knock them all out. I mean it was fun but slow going.

You could ghost and knock people out. You got penalized for being lethal.

haha I always do that in other games too.... in GTA V I'm constantly panning the camera around, as slow and natural as possible, trying to get cinematic looks... sometimes I'll make a stupid crash because I was panning to the side too much and I miss seeing a car but I've become pretty good at driving with the camera panned to the side or even use the cinematic (flying camera) mode lol

same reason I play the entire game with all the HUD hidden... hopefully we get a good option for DX MD, to... maybe not entirely because a HUD sort of actually makes sense for FPV with cyberware but I appreciate it when devs let us hide or at least re-size as much as the HUD as possible so that the game is more immersive

playing GTA V without a mini map was like rediscovery... same with any fantasy RPG... Dragon Age... MMOs... god we become used to staring at the mini map haha

Not feeling this. Part of the point of having a sandbox environment is to toy with the emergent and persistency of the world through skill and exploits. When I hear something like this, it means the levels are "designed" in such a way where there is the stealth or not route. The so-called "here's a linear hallway with 3 ways get by". Not a fan of this at all.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Not feeling this. Part of the point of having a sandbox environment is to toy with the emergent and persistency of the world through skill and exploits. When I hear something like this, it means the levels are "designed" in such a way where there is the stealth or not route. The so-called "here's a linear hallway with 3 ways get by". Not a fan of this at all.

Sound like you are kind of putting a lot of words in their mouths...

I mean, most of the game was already ghostable, making the it 20% more ghostable in the sequel doesn't seem to indicate any of the stuff you extrapolated from it...

DOWN

Banned

Could you name a game that allows total stealth where they don't design every option? There's only so many ways to get around the same guard route. I don't think really any games are above that yet.

The big thing I'm hoping for is a change to an objective based XP system rather than Human Revolution's system which actively encouraged using non-lethal takedowns on everything. Provide experience only when objectives are achieved and several other playstyles become feasible, like ghosting and full murderbot.
That would be awesome. I like what I've played of the game but I don't like the experience inventive to stealth and it is annoying knowing that I am actively gimping myself on experience in order to have fun using my preferred playstyle (stealth assassinations).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CASIE aug "battles" are arguably the best form of scripted dialogue negotiation in a video game, because they're not always set in stone. Multiple lines are recorded in different tones so you can't always easily "cheat" the outcome. They still need a bit of work, mostly relaying emotions via facial animations, but they're a fantastic form of playable persuasion that's strangely tense and engrossing despite the fact you're mostly just clicking dialogue options. I applaud Eidos Montreal for coming up with the idea given persuasion concepts in RPGs have been stagnant for years.

EDIT: Also yes, the XP system needs a total overhaul. Economy rewards should not be increased for stealth play, or "more difficult" play.

Not sure how I feel about this without more context. Hoping they make stealth more interesting rather than making it overpowered.

Top Bottom