• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II Sold Over 2.5 Million Units, Dragon Ball Xenoverse Breaks 2.5 Million

mankoto

During their Global Gamers Day event, Bandai Namco announced Dark Souls II has sold over 2.5 million copies since it was released on March 11, 2014. A new version of the game, Dark Souls II: Scholars of the First Sin, which includes all of the DLC packs plus balance changes came out for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox One, and PC just a few weeks ago.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse seems to be selling even stronger. The Dimps developed fighting game has sold 2.5 million copies since its February 2015 launch.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/1...units-dragon-ball-xenoverse-breaks-2-million/

See what happens when you make a good DBZ game?

Now don't screw up Xenoverse 2 and use some of these profits to build a full environment destructibility engine that allows you to blast apart mountains and blast holes into the ocean that fills in with water and all that good stuff that was in the show!

Thats my most wanted thing out of a DBZ game.

RE_Player

Xenoverse isn't an amazing game but it's a hell of lot better than recent Dragon Ball games. Glad it is doing well. Dragon Ball is getting back in the spotlight with the recent movies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dragon Ball as a whole is going through a resurgence right now and the character creation aspect is something that people have wanted for a long time.

I imagine the co-op loot gameplay was also helpful, since that's been very popular lately with Borderlands and Destiny.

I'm wondering if they are working toward launching another anime and/or manga run. That seems like something a business would normally do.

blakep267

Xenoverse hits that sweet spot of allowing fans to be "apart" of the universe. It's crazy how far a little customization can go. Watch a naruto xenoverse or a one piece xenoverse with customizable characters make boatloads of money

2.5 million is so niche.

Seriously though, congrats From, Dimps and Namco. Very impressive numbers, especially for a DBZ game in 2015.

ironcreed

Banned
Dark Souls II, baby.

jd-and-turk-pimps-o.gif

Ivan 3414

Dragon Ball as a whole is going through a resurgence right now and the character creation aspect is something that people have wanted for a long time.

Is Xenoverse really that good? Looks like all the other DBZ games to me, and I'm pretty sure there's been some character creation in past DBZ games.

Heroman

Banned
I imagine the co-op loot gameplay was also helpful, since that's been very popular lately with Borderlands and Destiny.

I'm wondering if they are working toward launching another anime and/or manga run. That seems like something a business would normally do.
Dbz has been popular enough for years to get another anime but GT Has probably stopped all attempts.

Before the announcement of the new movie there were supposedly talks about a 100 episode continuation of the series so I guess it could be possible. Revival of F was just something he was really inspired to make so I'd expect any chances at a return would probably be better coming off the back of that than Battle of God's with its mixed reception.

Dragon Ball Kai is airing the Buu Saga in Japan right now, and it's eventually going to be brought over to the west.

The canon story is continuing with the movies, Resurrection F just premiered in Japan and the dub is coming in the Summer

I expect another Dragon Ball movie will be out in 2017

Krejlooc

Banned

the movies are tying together to form a new arc in the series, and unlike previous movies, these are being directly written by toriyama. These movies are now directly tying into one another for a larger story.

I wonder how much longer the JPN VA for Goku can hold out. Isn't she like 90 years old?

SgtCobra

A Dragon Ball game set to surpass sales for a Souls game in 2015? That's interesting.
Not at all, it's Dragon Ball, it has a much wider appeal than what Dark Souls will ever have. Even though I'm only talking about the brand as a whole I think it speaks for itself when I say that also has a lot of influence into a game's sales.

Sandfox

That's what I'm thinking given the window they opened with BoG. We've gotten a lot of new DBZ stuff in pretty much every form of media so I think Toei is testing to see what would be the most profitable for them while the iron is hot. Kai coming back is the most surprising thing to me since it had very high ratings, but low merch sales, but I guess it makes sense given the success of the movies.

bobawesome

I've gotta be honest here: Xenoverse is the most fun I've had playing a game this year, beating out even Bloodborne.

All that shade Dark Souls old men throw at Dark Souls II didn't mean a thing. Excellent game and I'm glad to see it get those sales.

Ray Down

Banned
Great Xenoverse is a lot of fun, hopefully this pushes Dimps to make a much better sequel.

When was the last time a DBZ game sold like this?

Flarin

The post-launch discussion was crazy with Xenoverse. Word of mouth really helped this one. If you told me pre-launch that DBZ would sell over 2 Million copies I would have told you that you're out of your mind. Grats to Namco'

Is Xenoverse really that good? Looks like all the other DBZ games to me, and I'm pretty sure there's been some character creation in past DBZ games.

The only other (domestically released) DBZ game with a character creator is almost universally regarded to be pretty terrible.

It's also kinda unlike any other DBZ game before it. It's like a weird ass Action RPG/Fighter/Loot gathering hybrid, the latter of which is a pretty popular design these days, as pointed out already.

DeaviL

Banned
the movies are tying together to form a new arc in the series, and unlike previous movies, these are being directly written by toriyama. These movies are now directly tying into one another for a larger story.

I wonder how much longer the JPN VA for Goku can hold out. Isn't she like 90 years old?

78 apparently, also unexpected.

That's what can happen when you make really good one.

Xenoverse hits that sweet spot of allowing fans to be "apart" of the universe. It's crazy how far a little customization can go. Watch a naruto xenoverse or a one piece xenoverse with customizable characters make boatloads of money
That has the potential to be so good especially with the way Naruto's universe is set up.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Xenoverse should be 2 millions, not 2.5 though. Still, vdry good result for a (seemingly) very good DB game! Outside of Steam and Japanese sales, do we have other actual sales data, though?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Over here they already did one re-release of the manga in those larger multiple mangas together type of books. But that was a while back.

gdt

It's crazy that Dark Souls II is at 1 mil on pc. It was such a battle to get the first one on PC, and look at us now.

We here.

We ain't gotta dream no more.

taoofjord

All that shade Dark Souls old men throw at Dark Souls II didn't mean a thing. Excellent game and I'm glad to see it get those sales.

What a stupid thing to say. And just because something is popular doesn't mean it's great.

That said, I think DS2 is a pretty damn good game (especially with the new changes) and it should get more love from the hardcore Miyazaki fans, of which I am one. DS2 isn't as inspired as the other games but it's still a hell of a lot of fun. Also, it feels a lot like a Kong's Field game, which Is alright with me.

Top Bottom