• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II Sold Over 2.5 Million Units, Dragon Ball Xenoverse Breaks 2.5 Million

KR_remix

Wait PC is a third of the sales?

If you include the sales from the rerelease it is more like 44ish percent of the sales
depending on how close it is to 2.5mil
, the power of a good port/version.

I don't even like DBZ and I've been tempted to get it just because of the character customization/creation.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
As for Dark Souls 2, very happy with its sales, i'm sure Namco Bandai are. I wonder if BB will ever reach 2 mil?

To get anywhere within reach of Dark Souls 2's sales would be an achievement

BB did 1 million in 10 days. It would have to have a very unSoulslike tail to miss that.

Bruno MB

PC saved Dark Souls II from underperforming.

I wonder if Dark Souls II: Scholars of the First Sin sales are included in that 2.5 million worldwide figure.

Those numbers for Xenoverse are actually quite impressive. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing numbers for a DB game like that since the Tenkaichi days. That Dragon Ball selling power.

I have no clue if the actual game is a good DB game though, aint played it.

Chobel

Using google translate, it looks like the 2 million for Xenoverse represents the shipments and not sold-through.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Official 2 million release for Xenoverse: http://bandainamcoent.co.jp/corporate/press/release/61/pdf/20150416-1.pdf

1100k Americas
750k Europe
200k Japan/Asia

Still looking for the Dark Souls II one...

Those numbers are quite impressive; one would of thought that Asia would of been DBZ's best performing market due to the bulk of the merchandise sales coming from that segment.

If I'm not mistaken, only Naruto sells as much overseas (video games). One Piece hasn't had the same amount of success as the mentioned above, it's mostly been concentrated in Asia (Japan).

Bandai Namco must be pleased.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
PC being the lead seller on DS2 is breaking my brain :eek:

Welfare

Those numbers are quite impressive; one would of thought that Asia would of been DBZ's best performing market due to the bulk of the merchandise sales coming from that segment.

If I'm not mistaken, only Naruto sells as much overseas (video games). One Piece hasn't had the same amount of success as the mentioned above, it's mostly been concentrated in Asia (Japan).

Bandai Namco must be pleased.

One Piece will probably never be popular in the US after the terrible localization the first go around.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Breaking the brain? How come?.. sorry not sure if this post is pro pc or pro console =p ( not trying to start a war or anything)

It's both very positive and completely surprising. I wonder how those Naruto games do

Takao

Banned

Vinny, Dragon Ball games selling predominantly in the west has been a thing for over 10 years now. ;p

Can't believe xenoverse has done so well, when I made the OT I doubted it'd even stay near the front page for more than a few days but it's been insane. It's a good game, great game for Dragon Ball and definitely deserves it. Seems crazy when one considers how poorly they have done prior to this game, just goes to show that if they release a good game the audience is still there.

NeonZ

I imagine the co-op loot gameplay was also helpful, since that's been very popular lately with Borderlands and Destiny.

I'm wondering if they are working toward launching another anime and/or manga run. That seems like something a business would normally do.

They've had Dragonball Kai, a recut of the original series, making it more streamlined, airing alongside both recent movies. If they want another tv show airing alongside a future movie, they'll need to make a new series next time.

Alex

Xenoverse hasnt even hit the Steam sale freefall yet, been full price. I have several friends waiting to buy it.

It looks like it came in at the right time. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Naruro game pulls in similar numbers.

I'm not so sure about that. A huge part of Xenoverse's appeal and what drove initial interest before the game's quality became apparent was the character creation system, which brought in a lot of lapsed fans and even non-fans who just wanted an anime fighter where they could make their own character.

The Naruto games however are specifically only for Naruto fans. It'll do very well, but I wouldn't put it as a guarantee that it'll match Xenoverse.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Vinny, Dragon Ball games selling predominantly in the west has been a thing for over 10 years now. ;p

I just now realized this going through Bandai Namco's past press releases Takao :p hahaha

One would of thought since the merchandise sales have dwindled in the west, the results would also be reflected in other segments such as video games.

I guess an apt comparison would be like Pokemon, though on a much smaller scale, where those who were initially drawn to DBZ at a younger age, have followed the franchise since.

Usobuko

Banned
Dark Soul 2 did really well on PC.

The real success story here is Xenoverse and that probably reflects Dragon Ball cultural status in the West.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm not so sure about that. A huge part of Xenoverse's appeal and what drove initial interest before the game's quality became apparent was the character creation system, which brought in a lot of lapsed fans and even non-fans who just wanted an anime fighter where they could make their own character.

The Naruto games however are specifically only for Naruto fans. It'll do very well, but I wouldn't put it as a guarantee that it'll match Xenoverse.

Clearly they need a make your own ninja game.

Is xenoverse really that good? I might...just might have to buy a dragon ball z game again since budokai 3. It's been a while but congrats on the success. We will see...

kingwingin

I'm glad xenoverse sold well! I hope next game they can put large part of the budget towards the visuals. Would love if it looked like guilty gear xrd.

Karsha

Happy for Xenoverse, the only thing i'd want in the sequel are proper ultimate attacks with cutscenes and all, Dragonball was all about epic attacks that lasted episodes to charge, having boring beams as ultimates bothers me :p

Rhaknar

Wait, how did you come to that conclusion?

Ps3+360 sold 1.5 mill. I guess the fault in my logic is assuming they sold the same tho (putting each platform at 750-800k) and it could very well be 1mill / 500 split.

Still 950k for pc is quite something

Renekton

How reliable are the Steamspy statistics anyways?

The Ars article that spawned it only claimed "A few Steam developers have also been willing to share their own sales data with us off the record" and that's kinda it.

Clearly they need a make your own ninja game.

And I would be first in line to buy that :p

Seriously, from what little I know of Naruto, it seems like character creation would be perfect for it. The setting and large cast make it very easy to slot in a custom character as a new trainee ninja or something and it'd be fun mixing and matching all the zany attacks and combat styles in the series.

Alo0oy

Banned
Ps3+360 sold 1.5 mill. I guess the fault in my logic is assuming they sold the same tho (putting each platform at 750-800k) and it could very well be 1mill / 500 split.

Still 950k for pc is quite something

Out of 1.2 million shipped on consoles in the first month outside of Japan, ~200k were sold in the US & UK for X360 (which has 85% of the X360's installbase), even if you're generous & double that number for the remaining months, the PS3 version would still be at 1.1 million (350k+ in Japan alone).

Is xenoverse really that good? I might...just might have to buy a dragon ball z game again since budokai 3. It's been a while but congrats on the success. We will see...
If you like DBZ at all it shouldn't be missed. The core gameplay is a lot of fun, the story is surprisingly engaging, and character creation/building is an utter blast. It's not perfect, but the foundation for an absolute classic is there.

Plus the PC port is good, which is always a pleasant surprise.
How reliable are the Steamspy statistics anyways?

The Ars article that spawned it only claimed "A few Steam developers have also been willing to share their own sales data with us off the record" and that's kinda it.
SteamSpy is an accurate estimation. Several developers have commented on it, and, IIRC, their official numbers have been within the margin of error for the most part. There are even developers requesting to be omitted because they don't want the sales numbers published. With a variety of sorting and filtering options and regular polling, SteamSpy will only get better.

The only thing that throws it for a loop is free weekends, which will skew results for some months afterwards. But fortunately the results will make mention of this with a big fat asterisk.

Do we have any idea how much Dark Souls 1 has sold?

2.5m seems a bit low but then again they gimped it by releasing on PC and last gen only. It should easily cross the 3m mark now with SOTFS on next gen.

And I did not know people liked DBZ games that much.

Mory Dunz

Xenoverse 2.5 million?

I'm legit surprised.
What was it's NPD number? I think it did well but not amazing in Japan.

Hm, wonder how much Brazil and Mexico contributed.

Top Bottom