• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II Sold Over 2.5 Million Units, Dragon Ball Xenoverse Breaks 2.5 Million

Mory Dunz

Not so much DBZ games as this specific DBZ game. None of the recent DBZ games matched the critical and commercial success of Xenoverse.

I think his statement still kind of stands.

In general, people do like DBZ games....if they're not trash.
Stuff like Budoaki 3 sold really well.

Maybe the DBZ game auidence is somehow more informed than one would assume. And quality actually plays a large role. I mean, didn't Battle of Z do poorly, even with Kai running, a movie, current gen, etc. It being a bad game mattered most.

bobawesome

Theres a new movie coming out.

Goku's hair is blue, and freeza is back and is now gold.

Goku's new form is called "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan"

It looks terrible. I wish they would reboot the whole fucking series. Honestly.

Well, hey, there's no way it could be worse than the last movie. I think the blue hair looks cool, too. I'm not a fan of the God transformation but this is at least a step up.

Durante

2.5 million for DS2 is pretty much exactly what I estimated a few weeks ago. It makes sense between the initial console shipment, general lack of legs on consoles and the SteamSpy total.

How reliable are the Steamspy statistics anyways
Very. Every single time we get a number it falls into the SteamSpy estimated range.

eFKac

Ohh very good numbers for Xenoverse!

Still need to pick up a copy myself, not used to shelling out 60€ for a DBZ game, but glad it's doing well worldwide.

Adachi

Banned
Geez DS 2s console legs must have been atrocious if we believe the steamspy numbers.

Assuming Namco is announcing sellthrough numbers here (which generally wouldn't be the case but lets give the benefit of the doubt) then that would mean that console sales are barely 1.5 million, now keep in mind that the game had shipped 1.2 million IN THE WEST after 3 weeks, add to that the about 300k sales in Japan and we're already at 1.5 million.

So the game has only just sold what it had shipped 3 weeks after launch on console, if steamspy is correct.

KHlover

Banned
One Piece will probably never be popular in the US after the terrible localization the first go around.
Mayyybe if they release a remake series in the vein of Helling Ultimate or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood one day and have funimation dub it from the first episode on. Maaaaybe then.

Durante

Geez DS 2s console legs must have been atrocious if we believe the steamspy numbers.

Assuming Namco is announcing sellthrough numbers here (which generally wouldn't be the case but lets give the benefit of the doubt) then that would mean that console sales are barely 1.5 million, now keep in mind that the game had shipped 1.2 million IN THE WEST after 3 weeks, add to that the about 300k sales in Japan and we're already at 1.5 million.

So the game has only just sold what it had shipped 3 weeks after launch on console, if steamspy is correct.
IIRC the 1.2 million were internationally on both consoles including Japan.

God damn that DBZ Xenoverse.

1.75 million on consoles already. Heh and I remember in that other thread people were convinced that it was doing so well due to the PC version. Evidently not.

I'm really curious how Naruto UNS4 does on consoles now. Previous one did 2 million, and with the series' finale coming up it will be interesting to see.

Damn DBZ is back

Oom9S.gif

Durante

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
God damn that DBZ Xenoverse.

1.75 million on consoles already. Heh and I remember in that other thread people were convinced that it was doing so well due to the PC version. Evidently not.

I'm really curious how Naruto UNS4 does on consoles now. Previous one did 2 million, and with the series' finale coming up it will be interesting to see.

This is also shipment (which includes actual digital sales, but still shipment), but I can't deny I thought the game was higher on PC (even if 220,000+ for the first entry on PC already is not bad at all).

And yes, Dark Souls 2 probably had awful, awful legs on consoles going by this.

Nordicus

And I did not know people liked DBZ games that much.
In general, people do like DBZ games....if they're not trash.
Stuff like Budoaki 3 sold really well.

Maybe the DBZ game auidence is somehow more informed than one would assume. And quality actually plays a large role. I mean, didn't Battle of Z do poorly, even with Kai running, a movie, current gen, etc. It being a bad game mattered most.
Yeah, essentially. DBZ fans are quick to spread the word whether a licensed game is good or bad. Xenoverse didn't have a lot of media coverage during release, this was largely the result of word of mouth, and in countries where DBZ is still very big, Xenoverse dominated the sales charts

We not going to get something like this ever again are we.
What, a good 2D DBZ fighter? Extreme Butouden.

Adachi

Banned
DkS2 is expected. FoTS did not do well either. Maybe it will crawl to 3 million LTD.
I wonder how Bloodborne is going to compare now.
Excuse my ignorance but what's FoTS?

And Bloodborne should have better legs, launching on last gen after next gen had already begun severely crippled Dark Souls 2's legs.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

And Bloodborne should have better legs, launching on last gen after next gen had already begun severely crippled Dark Souls 2's legs.
He means the newly released SotFS, that is, Scholar of the First Sin. Which is a bit early to judge sales off. But being a remaster it probably won't reach the heights of regular DS2

Lanrutcon

He means the newly released SotFS, that is, Scholar of the First Sin. Which is a bit early to judge sales off. But being a remaster it probably won't reach the heights of regular DS2

And being a remaster means it was probably developed for peanuts.

The expansion retail release.....oh wait its SoTF isn't it lol

DkS2 has taken 1 year to sell 2.5 million.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
And being a remaster means it was probably developed for peanuts.
Yep. They did change a lot of things up though. But the actual port to PS4/Xbone was probably easier using the PC version as a base than it was porting Dark Souls 1 to PC

pa22word

Yep. They did change a lot of things up though. But the actual port to PS4/Xbone was probably easier using the PC version as a base than it was porting Dark Souls 1 to PC

Especailly when you factor in a lot of the "new" graphics effects were basically 1:1 ripped from fanmods, lol

Like the bloom effects on spells and bloodstain retrievals? That was a direct takeaway from Durante's BloomFx package in GeDoSaTo. Bokeh Depth of Field? Durante again. Reworked contrast (which is about, 99% of the upgrade to the actual screenshots)? Like basically every mod for the game reworked the original's shit contrast, lol...

Really the only thing I think they actually added that wasn't in before thanks to mods was better motion blur and higher geometry and replaced textures here and there.

Hell, the fact that they didn't even bother fixing the game's durability bug at high framerates, something that has been an issue since the game launched on PC, just goes to show how cheap this thing must have been. Especially when you get down to it, a lot of the environmental changes amount to moving a petrified dude you need item x to unlock to get through, or enemy layout changes that are distinctly familiar to anyone who's done a few NG+(+, ++, etc) runs.

I mean I bought it and played the shit out of it, but I can't imagine they came even close to breaking the bank on production costs. Hell, it might be profitable off first month's sales of the PC version alone >_>

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Especailly when you factor in a lot of the "new" graphics effects were basically 1:1 ripped from fanmods, lol

Like the bloom effects on spells and bloodstain retrievals? That was a direct takeaway from Durante's BloomFx package in GeDoSaTo. Bokeh Depth of Field? Durante again.
I'm fairly certain Durante would give them a ton of shit if they outright ripped his post processing shaders. Inspired by? Sure, why not, it makes the game look better.

Reworked contrast (which is about, 99% of the upgrade to the actual screenshots)? Like basically every mod for the game reworked the original's shit contrast, lol...
Unlike those contrast adjust filters FROM finetuned the contrast levels in each and every area in the game to bring out the best in each area, the filters applies one filter, might look great in one area, shitty in the next. FROM circumvents that issue entirely.
Really the only thing I think they actually added that wasn't in before thanks to mods was better motion blur and higher geometry and replaced textures here and there.
They did add some environmental detail other than that though, like the dudes hanging in pots at Earthern Peak, unless thats what you Point at when you talk about increased geometry. Otherwise I'm genuinely curious about what they fixed. Like did they fix the repeating textures and such?
Hell, the fact that they didn't even bother fixing the game's durability bug at high framerates, something that has been an issue since the game launched on PC, just goes to show how cheap this thing must have been. Especially when you get down to it, a lot of the environmental changes amount to moving a petrified dude you need item x to unlock to get through, or enemy layout changes that are distinctly familiar to anyone who's done a few NG+(+, ++, etc) runs.

I mean I bought it and played the shit out of it, but I can't imagine they came even close to breaking the bank on production costs. Hell, it might be profitable off first month's sales of the PC version alone >_>
Now how you feel about the remixed enemy placements and such I can't really argue against since that is purely opinion :p. I hope you don't take offense or anything, just wanted to post a few counter-arguments. I agree that it was most likely super cheap to get SotFS up and running, enemy/item changes included.

But durability as far as I understand, was bugged in the PS360 versions. There's a reason there are so many bnfires for example, since sitting at them restores durability to your gear if it isn't broken. Granted, I liked the system in Dark Souls 1 better where you had more durability but had to Micro-manage a bit more with item repairs and such and the Bonfires more spread out

Piers

Is Xenoverse really that good? Looks like all the other DBZ games to me, and I'm pretty sure there's been some character creation in past DBZ games.

It's not great. PVP isn't engaging, and the random chance of loot dropping or even hidden objectives initating is irritating.

But it's certainly a sharp brawler. I enjoyed it a bunch personally.

I secretly wish Xenoverse 2 will feature real-world locations to fight in, and particle effects from firing blasts/charging. Imagine a hole opening in the ocean as you fire a Kamehameha from the depths.

Pranay

Releasing Dark Souls 2 on PS360 after the release of next gen consoles might be a reason for the low sales on the consoles side.

Xenoverse isn't an amazing game but it's a hell of lot better than recent Dragon Ball games. Glad it is doing well. Dragon Ball is getting back in the spotlight with the recent movies.

This is the truth, could have been much better..

Rng crap, no create a character balance and lame character roster should not be in a Dragon ball game.

Top Bottom