• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Metal Gear's "Quiet" figurine features squishable boobs.

• Thread starter Deleted member 10571
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

shandy706

byecc4hciaapkdub5usi.jpg

Those eyes and dimples. This woman is adorable.

My wife would look at me funny if I import this..lol.

no need to import. it'll be sold domestically as well. :)

Ah, didn't know that :)

her design doesn't offend me and i'm curious why people think it's so bad sometimes. i'm gonna wait and see for the game. cuz if her character can overcome her design, then it's a good thing.
Well the fact that we need her character to 'overcome' her design is the reason it's an issue. The character as is does not say sniper with a glance in the same way that the MGS sniper (can't remember anyone's name in this series) character design did. Still if the thing the characters creator was excited to point out was squishy boobies I'm not going to be holding my breath for a well written answer to the question of why someone walks around mostly bare skinned in a country with daytime temps of ~40° C

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Haha, people are offended by this?

Pick your fights wisely, people. If you're really weirded out by this then don't check out the figure GAF thread in community lol, there's tons worse stuff in there IMO

Mods have clamped down on FigureGAF as of yesterday; (perm)banning people and closing the thread.

Kinyou

Well the fact that we need her character to 'overcome' her design is the reason it's an issue. The character as is does not say sniper with a galance in the same way that the MGS sniper (can't remember anyone's name in this series) character design did. Still if the thing the characters creator was excited to point out was squishy boobies I'm not going to be holding my breath for a well written answer to the question of why someone walks around mostly bare skinned in a country with daytime temps of ~40° C
The answer is obviously going to be superpowers.

Hell, MGS 1 had this guy

mgs-987uk1.jpg

Well the fact that we need her character to 'overcome' her design is the reason it's an issue. The character as is does not say sniper with a galance in the same way that the MGS sniper (can't remember anyone's name in this series) character design did. Still if the thing the characters creator was excited to point out was squishy boobies I'm not going to be holding my breath for a well written answer to the question of why someone walks around mostly bare skinned in a country with daytime temps of ~40° C

This here is the core issue. Quiet could be the greatest female character in gaming and hailed as a modern day digital Joan of Arc and Kojima could get awards from women's rights groups the world over. But But But... this little doll still cheapens the character

Quiet will most likely turn out to be one huge troll. Like she has skin cancer or something

well, what I mean is it's like when I see designs for characters and have assumptions about them. I guess another good example would be like from the Yakuza games. you think you know the characters from their outer appearances as criminals at first but they show you they have a different side to them which makes you relate to them. i'm hoping Quiet has a similar arc for her character. I hope she's more like The Boss and less like one of those shitty bosses from MGS4

Quiet will most likely have a Kafka-esque heart wrenching back-story. Every time you look at that squishy doll you will cry tears of sadness. Hopefully that's the ultimate intention.

I ask again, what if this was a Katniss Everdeen doll? Would that cheapen the character? Honestly a Katniss doll with Kung-Fu grip would be a miracle

A girl is okay with it so everyone should be okay with it. That's how equality works.

Exactly, don't get offended on her behalf.

LiK

well, what I mean is it's like when I see designs for characters and have assumptions about them. I guess another good example would be like from the Yakuza games. you think you know the characters from their outer appearances as criminals at first but they show you they have a different side to them which makes you relate to them. i'm hoping Quiet has a similar arc for her character. I hope she's more like The Boss and less like one of those shitty bosses from MGS4

I'm not sure superpowers is an explanation for running around in a bikini and stockings

Even if she had The End powers, we sure didn't see him running around in his underoos

The answer is obviously going to be superpowers.

Hell, MGS 1 had this guy

mgs-987uk1.jpg
Yeah that was the precise moment I realised that MGS was actually completely nuts. I don't accept 'a wizard did it' as good writing anyway so my own expectations are that we won't get an answer worth hearing but I anticipate some great laughs as people try and spin 'solar powered skin camouflage' as a reasonable answer.

MGS has always been daft but there was a nasty edge to some of the later titles (most Paz stuff) that has soured me a bit towards it. L

Klossen

Banned
A girl is okay with it so everyone should be okay with it. That's how equality works.

The actress is free to do whatever she likes with her body. And if she wants to take part in a production that makes dolls out of it, that's her freedom to do so.

That Saudi Arabia likeness is doubly ironic considering how everyone here is acting like a Saudi censorship bureau regarding this. Maybe if we covered her up real good, the design would be less "offensive"?

marrec

Banned
Not just 'a girl' but 'the girl'.

You'd tell her it's not okay for her to have a doll of herself with squishable boobs?

I'd tell her why it's questionable sure. Her being okay with it doesn't mean everyone who's upset by it is invalidated. Personally, I don't think having a squishable Quiet masturbatory aid is going to end video games as we know it (sex is awesome and boobs aren't going to kill anyone), but I can understand why people would be upset about it.

Steroyd

as posted by Kojima himself.
Twitter post (NSFW) https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/597687270284468224

Picture (NSFW): https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEt5PpyWYAApUrD.jpg

I don't even. Why is Kojima/MGS moving against anything people managed to achieve when it comes to women in gaming recently?

This all is so weird to me.

You do know this is the same franchise that let you run around grabbing crotches lol.

Also what was achieved with female character's recently? There's always been good and bad examples in games.

LiK

because Play Arts

people don't buy these overpriced toys for amazing sculpts they buy them because..uh..I got nothing

their human characters are a mixed bag but all characters in armor are great! the Halo ones are so good.

When the figure is being made in her own image, yes at some point everyone else should just accept it.

She is the authority on herself. Not other people.
So because all those models in ridiculously sexist ads from back in the day were OK with it we should be too? Maybe she is fine with it or maybe ongoing promotional work was a part of her contract, smiling and posing are what models do after all.

So because all those models in ridiculously sexist ads from back in the day were OK with it we should be too? Maybe she is fine with it or maybe ongoing promotional work was a part of her contract, smiling and posing are what models do after all.

Nowhere near the same thing.
If she had a problem, we'd hear about it

But again, we should be better than this. I don't think the games industry is mature enough to take squishy boobs doll in the right light.

Hagi

their human characters are a mixed bag but all characters in armor are great! the Halo ones are so good.

I'm just kidding :p

I'd totally buy a Raiden if I didn't think the prices were ridiculous. The Halo ones are pretty cool and I have a Sephiroth from way back when that isn't a monstrosity.

jem0208

This only helps my theory that konami fired him because he is an asshole
I've not been following any of this Konami/Kojima stuff but almost everything I've seen about him makes him seem like an asshole...

That character design is ridiculous.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Huh? How did they make this?

The prototype was probably designed in a 3D program like ZBrush. Then made in clay and casted in resin. And then at some point a PVC prototype made. Through some magic, a mold is created, the parts casted, assembled in most likely China, and painted and packaged.

EDIT: Soft part made from a different material than PVC of course.

Hagi

I've not been following any of this Konami/Kojima stuff but almost everything I've seen about him makes him seem like an asshole...

What have you seen about him? I feel like I'm missing something here, like a Kotaku expose I haven't read.

Ads using women in a sexist manner is a different topic than a woman being ok with a figurine of herself. And squishy boobs are not sexist.

Not just 'a girl' but 'the girl'.

You'd tell her it's not okay for her to have a doll of herself with squishable boobs?

Well yeah. For her this might just be one helluva opportunity for her career, so she might not be comfortable thinking about the implications of having a sexy figurine made of your image, but that doesn't mean the implications don't exist. I mean, people who are into animu and sliced manga know how this works, often there are waaay too pervy figurines of characters who are otherwise actually pretty decent characters. But while it's possible that Quiet ends up being a fantastic character in the game, and still have absurd squishy figurines of her covered in ungodly extracts outside of it, it's still a very dirty thing to do with your female characters as a creator.

I just hope Stefanie san isn't crying herself to sleep over this.

sensui-tomo

That is his shtick.... DOMINATRIX PSYCHO MAN
Persona fans will get this joke
Psycho_Mantis.jpg

Nowhere near the same thing.
If she had a problem, we'd hear about it
Please explain how.

Also note that Konami have already shut down commentary by another talent associated with this game when they spoke out of turn on the Kojima mess. In a field as fragile as modelling being known as awkward is a recipe for no work (excepting the stratosphere of the 'super model'). Joosten is making her career in Japan becoming the centre of a controversy would not help with getting more work.

Or she's cool with it but so what? Very few offensive media images have been made with unwilling participants.

It's not a controversy in Japan so she will be fine.

Ah for clarity's sake I meant even if she was uncomfortable with it speaking out about it has no upside for her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom