• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Hardware 2005 numbers (LTD too). Software tops and of course, NDS-PSP battle.

jarrod

Banned
I expect UK to be the largest market where PSP manages to pass DS hardware. Probably the only notable market too, Sonic Rivals should be huge there.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
reminder said:
I read often "DS Bundles not counted". My question is, are PSP Bundles counted?
It's been answered but here's the easy answer. :)

Retailer made bundle = yes, the software is counted separately (+1 HW, +1 SW)
Manufacturer bundles (game is packed with the machine) = no, the software is not counted separately (+1 HW only)

Aurora

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Top sellers – Sony PSP
POSN TITLE GROUP
1 GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES TAKE 2
2 WORLD TOUR SOCCER SONY COMPUTER ENT.
3 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 5 KONAMI
4 FIFA 06 ELECTRONIC ARTS
:lol :lol :lol

Why do people bother... honestly?

Trurl

Banned
drohne said:
ds's shitty lineup has more to do with its awful hardware design, imo. it has some strong gba-style content, but almost anything that attempts 3d or touchscreen use is worthless. not that any one factor can fully account for the ds's poor software!
:lol
I disagree with your point, but you did such a good job at changing the meaning of Emotions' post.

Fuzzy

From the report, I wish there was also one for each of the consoles/handhelds.

EUSWShare2005.jpg

Fuzzy

januswon said:
so UK software sales are around 1/3 of Europe software sales....
We've known that for a long time though. I only posted that chart because sometimes people need a reminder. I still wish we knew what the breakdown was like for each console/handheld across Europe.

Just so it's easier to read than what's in the first post.

UKHWSW2005jpg.jpg

NWO

Meier said:
Can't wait to see sonycowboy's response to this.

Probably will be something from the official Sony damage control list:

1. Whine that the DS had a head start
2. Whine that the DS is cheaper
3. Point out that the DS is selling less 3rd party games which is important since 1st party games don't count because Nintendo wins at that
4. Explain that the UK & Japan don't matter anymore the US market is the only important one
5. Explain that nobody expected the PSP to topple the Nintendo handheld monopoly the first time around
6. Make up fake numbers that show the PSP ahead

ziran

seems like this info has been discussed before.

it's mildly interesting, but i think this year's is going to be more fun.

gta:lcs seems to be continuing to do well and there has been other decent selling software for psp. nintendogs makes regular appearances in the lower end of the top 40, as one sku, so is likely the equivalent of being somewhere 30-40 combined. a few other titles make appearances and of course there's the continued selling of the nintendogs and mk bundles, however, unfortunately these sales don't count in the charts, confirmed by chart-track and gaybrush.

animal crossing has been a huge handheld seller and there's nsmb and ds lite on the way, along with several other decent titles. psp also has a several games coming that should sell well.

Fuzzy

NWO said:
Probably will be something from the official Sony damage control list:

1. Whine that the DS had a head start
2. Whine that the DS is cheaper
3. Point out that the DS is selling less 3rd party games which is important since 1st party games don't count because Nintendo wins at that
4. Explain that the UK & Japan don't matter anymore the US market is the only important one
5. Explain that nobody expected the PSP to topple the Nintendo handheld monopoly the first time around
6. Make up fake numbers that show the PSP ahead
He wondered what sonycowboy's response would be, not mono's.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Interesting. I see people are now damage controlling for the DS. Never thought I would see this happening on GAF. :lol

ethelred

mckmas8808 said:
Interesting. I see people are now damage controlling for the DS. Never thought I would see this happening on GAF. :lol

It's not "damaged," as it's in the lead, so, er... who is damage controlling exactly?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
ethelred said:
It's not "damaged," as it's in the lead, so, er... who is damage controlling exactly?

Damaging as in comparing these numbers to Japan. Some people here talk as if the PSP already lost and is old news. This news proves that obviously the game isn't yet over.

ethelred

mckmas8808 said:
Damaging as in comparing these numbers to Japan. Some people here talk as if the PSP already lost and is old news. This news proves that obviously the game isn't yet over.

Well, I think the comparison to Japan is made just to put this market in the proper perspective. If the game was in danger of being over (the game will not be over for either handheld, fyi), the UK market alone would be incapable of changing that, because it's just too small. The fact that in just the month of May in Japan the DS sold more than the entire 2005 LTD in the UK should bring that perspective... but I guess not.

Fuzzy

ethelred said:
The fact that in just the month of May in Japan the DS sold more than the entire 2005 LTD in the UK should bring that perspective... but I guess not.
Not quite (May = 747K) but your point stands.

Satter

Banned
mckmas8808 said:

Considering that in Japan the DS Lite almost outsells more PSPs in one week, than in the US and EU in one month, combined, AND, that the DS Lite hasn't even been released in those terrories yet, I would say the game is afoot.

mckmas8808 said:
In the conversation of DS and PSP in the UK compared to Japan, it's not so much that PSP has lost, as it is UK. It seems like DS Lite has sold as much in the last 3 months in Japan as DS and PSP's combined lifetime sales in the UK.

ioi said:
DC: 0.60m

Woah there, I knew the DC wasn't a huge success but I never realised it performed at that level... that's fricking atrocious. Thank god I didn't follow sales back in those days, I would have had a heart attack.

Meier

This really shows how amazing the DS' sales have been in Japan this year. In just under 6 months, it's managed to move 2.8 million units (probably will be around 3 million or so once we receive the new numbers on Wednesday) whereas in all of 2005, the UK sold 4.28 million units of HW.

Now of course there isnt a direct correlation due to price differences, but it shows just how incredible it is to move that much hardware in such a short period of time.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
jarrod said:
I expect UK to be the largest market where PSP manages to pass DS hardware. Probably the only notable market too, Sonic Rivals should be huge there.
I don't think so, even in the UK PSP can't surpass DS. Mark my words.

jarrod

Banned
gamergirly said:
So Scandanavia(as a whole) was the 4th biggest software market for 2005 in Europe?
Only if you include PC/mobile gaming... if these charts were console/handheld only, it'd probably go...

01 United Kingdom
02 France
03 Germany
04 Spain
05 Scandanavia

starship

Meier said:
This really shows how amazing the DS' sales have been in Japan this year. In just under 6 months, it's managed to move 2.8 million units (probably will be around 3 million or so once we receive the new numbers on Wednesday) whereas in all of 2005, the UK sold 4.28 million units of HW.

Now of course there isnt a direct correlation due to price differences, but it shows just how incredible it is to move that much hardware in such a short period of time.
May is the 5th month of the year, so in just under 5 months it sold 2.8m units.

starship

DemDereNads said:
It's already been done according to Chart Trak.
What are you talking about? Are you talking about those old figures which showed DS was only 5k ahead of PSP by the end of the 2005 and in the begining of 2006 PSP surpassed it? Those were clearly wrong as you can see in this thread, and also we are talking about when all said and done. DS Lite, NSMB, Pokemon, ... will cause a huge boost in DS sales.

kia said:
What are you talking about? Are you talking about those old figures which showed DS was only 5k ahead of PSP by the end of the 2005 and in the begining of 2006 PSP surpassed it? Those were clearly wrong as you can see in this thread, and also we are talking about when all said and done. DS Lite, NSMB, Pokemon, ... will cause a huge boost in DS sales.

They're clearly wrong because another 3rd party gave their take on sales and it supports Nintendo?

I understand. :)

Seriously though, any actual reason why this source is suppose to be more reliable?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Andy787 said:
This is why third parties will always return to Sony, even if their platform isn't what gamers want. Especially considering the majority of the DS software number consists of solely of Nintendo-made games.

I'd just like to point out that Nintendo games have ALWAYS sold best on Nintendo systems. Even back in the NES and SNES days. This really shouldn't be anything new. Only difference is that Nintendo barely gets any exclusives for the past several years.

Fuzzy

DemDereNads said:
They're clearly wrong because another 3rd party gave their take on sales and it supports Nintendo?

Seriously though, any actual reason why this source is suppose to be more reliable?
This is the same source (Chart Track) that gave the numbers before, they've just revised them to show a more accurate result. :)

starship

DemDereNads said:

Why do you post in sales thread junior? This is based on that same source, Chart Track, can you understand this? Chart Track corrected the data itself.

kia said:
Why do you post in sales thread junior? This is based on that same source, Chart Track, can you understand this? Chart Track corrected the data itself.

The non-snide response would have done just fine... then again, that's why posters like Fuzzy are actually respectable.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
So when will the SONY DEFENCE FORCE Special OPS arrive?

jGuru said:
So when will the SONY DEFENCE FORCE Special OPS arrive?

DS 0.95 0.95 over 9 months = 105k a month average

PSP 0.81 0.81 over 4 months = 202k a month average.

:D :D :D

How's that? May not take down anyone's fence, but I tried :p

Top Bottom