• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft expects to sell more than 7 million units of Rainbow Six Siege lifetime

ZhugeEX

Banned
Ubisoft say they expect to Rainbow Six Siege to sell better than Far Cry 4 which sold 7 million units.

Ubisoft's AAA titles for FY2014/15 sold in more than 30 million units across Unity, Rouge, Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs and The Crew. Ubisoft expect AAA sales this year to be lower than 30m as they will not be releasing as many AAA titles + no new big IP like Watch Dogs.

kmax

In the near future

Ubisoft: Rainbow Six failed to meet its sales target.

Please understand.

iNvid02

against battlefront and blops 3? i dont see it, even if the shooter audience is thirsty you're going against blops 3 and star wars

Prologue

Maybe it would have been better to have The Division in Q4 of this year and Rainbow 6 in Q1 of 2016. We already have Black Ops 2, Battlefront and Halo 5 this Q4. Rainbow is obviously a different kind of shooter than those titles, but it needs room to breathe and attract new players. A Q1 release would have given a nice boost to the player population during a typical gaming drought season.

Steveo

Banned
What number of copies did the highest selling Rainbow Six title do?

I know RS3 sold very well, but not 7 million well. If the game is very good, I can see it reaching that goal, just might take a bit of time...

Welfare

Probably expecting a big launch due to a pent up want for a new R6 game from fans and hoping the game will have good legs.

7 million is still a lot with Halo 5, BO3, and Battlefront releasing as well.

Koh

At $5 maybe.

I can't imagine this game doing multimillion out of the gate, but that's just based on anecdotal frame of reference.

Reebot

In what context did they say this? Was it more of an optimistic hope or a real expectation?

Really hope for the former.

algert

Banned
Ubisoft multiplayer is P2P and Siege alpha was a copy paste of the same netcode. Good luck hitting 7 with the PC audience disenfranchised right out the gate, Montreal.

IvanJ

Banned
Well, they seem very optimistic. To me, this title screams: Bomb!, especially when confronted with CoD, Halo, Star Wars...

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Nah, dont see it happening. It will sell good but 7m sounds way too high.

Its a tactical shooter, meant to play it with group of friends. Not casual, where you pick and play.

Yes.

They say as it's a multiplayer game they expect repeat sales and extended lifetime sales.

They make it clear that this is lifetime sales target and not FY sales target.

Right. But the LTD sales for Vegas and Vegas 2 are only like 2m-3m units (individually). Going from ~2m to +7m is essentially guaranteeing failure and disappointment.

For reference, +7m sales for Siege would be about 1/4 of the total LTD sales (~26m) for all Rainbox Six games combined.

Dysun

Game seems like it will have a content problem surrounding a good idea ala Titanfall or Evolve. Doubt it hits that target

Rosur

lol Ubisoft... Really :/

I really doubt this is gonna get more than 2 mill it just seems too tactical for the fans of COD/ BF to get into and with Battlefront coming out around the same time most Gamers will be going for that (unless they make Siege F2P).I can see the 7mill being lifetime sales if the game turns out good and has legs.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Right. But the LTD sales for Vegas and Vegas 2 are only like 2m-3m units (individually). Going from ~2m to +7m is essentially guaranteeing failure and disappointment.

For reference, +7m sales for Siege would be about 1/4 of the total LTD sales (~26m) for all Rainbox Six games combined.

They said last title sold 3 million or something.

dex3108

Difference from Far Cry is that R6 will be supported longer with multiplayer content according to Conference Call.

Isn't the game going to be in direct competition with CS:GO at this point? The game looks fun and all but 7 million seems like a stretch.

Euron

Not if they're releasing it up against Battlefront, Black Ops 3, and Halo 5, as well as their own Assassin's Creed Syndicate. It will do ok this fall but nothing remarkable.

Not if they're releasing it up against Battlefront, Black Ops 3, and Halo 5, as well as their own Assassin's Creed Syndicate. It will do ok this fall but nothing remarkable.

Star Wars and BLOPS 3 will put this game in coffin Day 1.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the first release date of Siege was Spring 2015 when they showed it E3 last year?

I think if it was already out or something it would do better.

It coming out in the fall might have doomed this thing.

Garlador

Unless they start packing the game in with every major system, those are hilariously unreasonable expectations.

I should really consider a career in video game analysis.
"You should totally expect The Division to sell 8 million copies. The Devil's Third needs to sell at least 10 million. No, you shouldn't settle for less than 30 million sold for Assassin's Creed: Syndicate."

zma1013

I think Ubisoft needs to climb a high tower so they can scout the competition from afar to better predict what their actual sales will be.

Top Bottom