• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft expects to sell more than 7 million units of Rainbow Six Siege lifetime

etta

my hard graphic balls
In the near future

Ubisoft: Rainbow Six failed to meet its sales target.

Please understand.

against battlefront and blops 3? i dont see it, even if the shooter audience is thirsty you're going against blops 3 and star wars

Better lower that by around 60% or you're in for a shock Ubisoft...

In what context did they say this? Was it more of an optimistic hope or a real expectation?

Really hope for the former.

Sorry for quoting so much, but I do not understand where this is coming from. You guys do know that they have paid professionals that probably went to good schools and learned business marketing, statistics, and more, and these are the people that make these projected sales, right? What makes you guys think paid professionals are just talking numbers randomly?

Duxxy3

Must be confident in the single player that we have yet to see. The multiplayer alone will not sell half of that number.

It's a disappointment

image.php

Sprry for quoting so nuch, but I do not understand where this is coming from. You guys do know that they have paid professionals that probably went to gopd schools and leatned business marketing, statistics, and more, and these are the people that make these projected sales, right? What makes you guys think paid professionals are just talking numbers randomly?

I don't know what to make of this post.

Portugeezer

Over its lifetime it will do it, assuming it will be good, if it sucks then no, but if it's good it will continue to sell on PC for many years.

FDBMath

I am hoping it does that well as a huge R6 fan, but I also agree that it is optimistic at best. I will get it, but I imagine spending more time with Battlefront (insert necessary BF4-type crap launch exception here).

iNvid02

In what context did they say this? Was it more of an optimistic hope or a real expectation?

Really hope for the former.[/QUOTE

Sprry for quoting so nuch, but I do not understand where this is coming from. You guys do know that they have paid professionals that probably went to gopd schools and leatned business marketing, statistics, and more, and these are the people that make these projected sales, right? What makes you guys think paid professionals are just talking numbers randomly?

well i wasnt saying its going to "bomb", otherwise it wouldnt have got the green light in the first place, but 7 million units seems like a stretch considering the established franchises with new releases this year. companies fall short of their projections all the time, there is no science behind it.

that and i ignored the lifetime bit lol

Cidd

Sorry for quoting so much, but I do not understand where this is coming from. You guys do know that they have paid professionals that probably went to good schools and learned business marketing, statistics, and more, and these are the people that make these projected sales, right? What makes you guys think paid professionals are just talking numbers randomly?

Michael Pachter is also a "PAID" professional, think about that for a sec.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Micheal Pachter is also a "PAID" professional, think about that for a sec.

No matter how much some people like to think he is stupid, he is not, otherwise he would not get paid. Do you think people like to throw money away? The competition for intangible goods, such as statistical analysis, is very strong. If he still gets paid, that means he is doing something right, no matter how much flack he gets from forum members.

Also, the stuff he "predicts" that is public is not really the work he gets paid for.

Kasper

If it reviews well, gets a fan base going, and releases at a good time, I could see it do 7 million lifetime. But if it's already not getting favorable word of mouth, that might translate to mediocre review scores, in turn resulting in a small fan base. If it then also releases right up against BLOPS 3 and Battlefront 3 it's not looking good.

2-3 million units sounds more reasonable. 7 million is extremely unlikely, no matter how well the game turns out or how aggressively it's marketed.

The thing is, Rainbow Six has always been a niche, hardcore IP, and Siege won't change that.

Design-wise, R6: Siege is very unlikely to have mass market appeal. (FYI that's not a knock against the game.) Very few casual gamers will be interested in the game. It's tactical and requires a lot of thought and planning. That will bore most casual gaming fans. It's unlikely to be accessible in a pick-up-and-play shooty shooty bang bang kind of way.

Side note: I'm surprised Far Cry 4 managed to sell 7 million.

kiguel182

Sales projection fail all the time. Being a paid professional doesn't mean you are suddently full proof and indicating that is a very naive way to look at things.

Being paid also doesn't mean people can't disagree with you like the case here.

And yeah, hitting 7 million will be very hard when going against Star Wars, BLOPS3 and Halo and with the PC market dominated by CS.

MiguelItUp

Yeaaaah, good luck. I know people have enjoyed what they've played, but I really wasn't impressed. Not sure what it was, I just wasn't feeling it. :(

Euron

The title of this thread should be called, "EA expects to sell mroe than 7 million units of Star Wars Battlefront lifetime."
I can see Battlefront selling 10 million units at least by the end of the year. It's the game to go along with a new Star Wars Movie so it should actually surpass that number quite easily.

Rainbow Six on the other hand hasn't seen a new game since 2008 I believe and is coming out in the middle of more than a few bigger releases of the same genre.

Gotta get rid of all the mainstream stuff though, like hitmarkers and callouts and some of the dumb gadgets.

Game has serious potential to fill in a huge void for the genre, but it's not going all the way :(

Cidd

No matter how much some people like to think he is stupid, he is not, otherwise he would not get paid. Do you think people like to throw money away? The competition for intangible goods, such as statistical analysis, is very strong. If he still gets paid, that means he is doing something right, no matter how much flack he gets from forum members.

Also, the stuff he "predicts" that is public is not really the work he gets paid for.

I'm not saying he's "Stupid" I'm saying PAID professionals are only human and human make mistakes.

You act like professionals never fuck up. I still think 7mil is too high a number.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Sales projection fail all the time. Being a paid professional doesn't mean you are suddently full proof and indicating that is a very naive way to look at things.

Being paid also doesn't mean people can't disagree with you like the case here.

And yeah, hitting 7 million will be very hard when going against Star Wars, BLOPS3 and Halo and with the PC market dominated by CS.

If sales projections fail all the time as you say, then why does every business with a product or service to sell have at least one person or department employed and working on sales projections? Do firms like to pour money down the drain? It's not always 100 percent, of course, but it is near it.

And those guys were not disagreeing, they were discrediting the sales projections educated people, or at least that is what it felt like.

Falchion

I don't think a rebooted franchise is going to sell more than Far Cry 4, even though it looks like fun. Hope they don't get disappointed and then decide to not make any Rainbow Six games again.

I hope the game does well. Everything I've seen and heard from the devs makes me confident that they understand what Rainbow Six is all about. But I think 7 million is optimistic at best. If (when?) it fails to meet that goal, I'm afraid that Ubisoft will permanently can the franchise.
You guys do know that they have paid professionals that probably went to good schools and learned business marketing, statistics, and more, and these are the people that make these projected sales, right? What makes you guys think paid professionals are just talking numbers randomly?
I don't think it's random. But publishers regularly overestimate their sales projections. They have an incentive to do so, to keep shareholders from selling and devaluing their stock.
No matter how much some people like to think he is stupid, he is not, otherwise he would not get paid.
He often says stupid things, but I really don't have much of an opinion on Pachter. However, in the real world, there are legions of people who get paid to speculate and write up estimates and draft plans, most of which fail or go nowhere. That's what happens when business majors saturate their fields. (Which is what happens when your economy's manufacturing base is demolished by outsourcing.)
If sales projections fail all the time as you say, then why does every business with a product or service to sell have at least one person or department employed and working on sales projections?
To prevent the shareholders from panicking and selling their stock.

So in order to reach this in lifetime sales and given typical sales patterns they'd probably need to sell 4+ million copies in its opening month? That seems kind of high, given that the series isn't a sales powerhouse in that way and it's launching against some very strong FPS competition, I think it's going to struggle to hit those numbers.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm not saying he's "Stupid" I'm saying PAID professionals are only human and human make mistakes.

You act like professionals never fuck up. I still think 7mil is too high a number.

I never said they never screw up, I am defending their work. Being a finance major, I had to take Econometrics. The math involved in building models and regressions to make predictions such as these off of is beautiful and sound. There is a ton, and I mean a ton, of work to do this, and still, at the end of the day you end up with estimations, which is why I know they cannot ever be 100 percent right. However, being employed means they are right far more then they are wrong.

I hope the game does well. Everything I've seen and heard from the devs makes me confident that they understand what Rainbow Six is all about. But I think 7 million is optimistic at best. If (when?) it fails to meet that goal, I'm afraid that Ubisoft will permanently can the franchise.

I don't think it's random. But publishers regularly overestimate their sales projections. They have an incentive to do so, to keep shareholders from selling and devaluing their stock.

He often says stupid things, but I really don't have much of an opinion on Pachter. However, in the real world, there are legions of people who get paid to speculate and write up estimates and draft plans, most of which fail or go nowhere. That's what happens when business majors saturate their fields. (Which is what happens when your economy's manufacturing base is demolished by outsourcing.)

To prevent the shareholders from panicking and selling their stock.

What you are saying about the stock is right only for the first overestimation. If they overestimate their projections over and over again investors will see this, and this will cause speculation and in the end it will be even more damaging than providing accurate estimates.

Top Bottom