• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft expects to sell more than 7 million units of Rainbow Six Siege lifetime

Hip Hop

No, not happening.

Far Cry actually managed to sell that manage because the series had already been established big time with Far Cry 3.

Rainbow Six hasn't been a thing for a while and it faces much bigger competition among the online competitive shooter brands.

Hip Hop

humble bundle and heavy steam sales discounts are the only measures to reach this.

Don't forget Graphics Card bundles. This will probably be one of the games included in them.
Do they count those?
That's where I'll probably be getting my copy

DOWN

Banned
I don't get why people keep saying Battlefront, Blops 3, etc.

Ubi said lifetime sales, not just release window or even fiscal year.

Of course it has a decent chance of 7 million over 3-4 years with the right support, DLC, and discount promotions, right?

Circinus

I don't get why people keep saying Battlefront, Blops 3, etc.

Ubi said lifetime sales, not just release window or even fiscal year.

Of course it has a decent chance of 7 million over 3-4 years with the right support, DLC, and discount promotions, right?

I agree.

I think it won't be a big gangbuster success on consoles next to Battlefront, CoD, Halo 5, but I think it they manage to cater to competitive players on PC a lot like Global Offensive, 7 million doesn't seem too far-fetched if we're talking about lifetime sales. I think it will do really well on PC if the reception is very good. I don't see it doing very well on consoles though.

If they plan to have a lot of post-launch content, then it's a pretty reasonable target I think for lifetime sales. Well-received community-driven online competitive games with lots of post-launch content usually have strong legs.

Obviously the majority of those 7 million copies won't be sold at full price though, with steep discounts it is perfectly possible to achieve high volume sales.

akitaone

Banned
This is Titanfall all over again...people trying at Ubi trying to raise expectations solely off of hype. Meanwhile, we are 11 months from E3 2014 and we have seen NOTHING except 2 maps and one multiplayer mode. Not even a peep about single player or coop.

theRizzle

Yeah, when it's gone down to $9.99 during a Steam sale less than 18 months after release, I can see them getting to 7 mil in 5 or so years.

By lifetime, do they mean this version and the HD remake next generation?

Seriously though, it sounds like they are setting themselves up for disappointment. I could see 2-3 million tops, but 7 million seems a little high.

AppleMIX

That's crazy.

I don't think a single Rainbow Six game has sold anywhere near that much.

2 million is far more reasonable.

collige

Banned
I think this is totally possible as long as they a. retail it for less than $60 and b. support it long term a la CS:GO rather than pumping out a sequel the next year in typical Ubisoft style.

jediyoshi

Right. But the LTD sales for Vegas and Vegas 2 are only like 2m-3m units (individually). Going from ~2m to +7m is essentially guaranteeing failure and disappointment.

For reference, +7m sales for Siege would be about 1/4 of the total LTD sales (~26m) for all Rainbox Six games combined.

Not bad for Vegas, remember being surprised it got a sequel at all.

tioslash

I don´t think it will sell that much. Maybe if they squeeze in some towers to unlock points of interest? Then it´s possible.

Steel

Banned
It's possible. Unlikely, but possible. And rainbow six is one of the few series they produce that deserve it.

It doesn't have a campaign?!
It has something but I haven't seen whatever it is described as a campaign, or really anything for that matter.

They've been pretty mum on it outside of the fact that there is something else besides the competitive multiplayer.

But if it doesn't come with Terrorist Hunt or its spiritual successor than Ubi is smoking bath salts.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Dem shooters be selling billions cuz....

So EA is expecting to sell millions upon millions with Battlefront. Ubisoft is expecting to sell millions upon millions with Rainbow Six. Activision is expecting to sell millions upon millions (guaranteed) with COD:Black Ops....

I am not sure gamers will be shelling as much for 3 shooters this holiday season - ON TOP of AC:Syndicate, Halo 5 on Xbox One - which will eat some of those third party sales on XB1. Not to mention other unannounced AAA titles for the holidays.

Hec, the idea of stacking exclusives for the holidays for platform holders seems sillier and sillier by the day. Just one big hitter should suffice for that marketing push.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Dem shooters be selling billions cuz....

So EA is expecting to sell millions upon millions with Battlefront. Ubisoft is expecting to sell millions upon millions with Rainbow Six. Activision is expecting to sell millions upon millions (guaranteed) with COD:Black Ops....

I am not sure gamers will be shelling as much for 3 shooters this holiday season - ON TOP of AC:Syndicate, Halo 5 on Xbox One - which will eat some of those third party sales - among some unannounced AAA titles.

Hec, the idea of stacking exclusives for the holidays for platform holders seems sillier and sillier by the day. Just one big hitter should suffice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA63zhcLDkk

MilesTeg

Banned
They should release it in December like Far Cry 3. People are still ready to buy new releases before Christmas. A month after CoD and company would give it some breathing room.

It will probably get delayed. Those numbers are not realistic for what is primarily a mp only shooter (I know it has some sort of sp and coop ). Battlefront is a different story because of its license.

Ombala

Well if its a 9/10 game with alot of content and good online MP it can get good WOM and maybe do it.
But no. Wont happen.

Maybesew

I'll be buying most of them

What makes you think that? There will be more than just this mode we've seen.

How much more? The entire premise of the game has been these squad vs squad hostage situations. The same could be said for Evolve. There are more modes than just hunting the monster, they also added "evacuation" which .... is basically just hunting the monster.

Chobel

Maybe it will get heavily bundled with some console (Most likely XB1)? If it's going to be bundled like ACU, 7m should be possible.

Top Bottom