• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Right to Discriminate tanks in State Senate, Jindal signs "RTD" Executive Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Orleans has really thrived under Landrieu, despite Jindal wrecking the University of New Orleans and the state at large with his policies.

The NO city proper is the only portion of the state with a yearly population growth over 1% (much of the state is actually losing population), and it's seen all sorts of major new investments initiated or proposed over the past few years. Though the new University Medical Center partially funded by the state and feds is looking like it'll come up $88 million short because of the state government's ineptitude.

Jindal especially fucked up with the locals by letting LSU take some brutal hits to its budget.
It's too bad New Orleans isn't big enough to outvote the rest of the state. Mitch Landrieu should be governor (and Mary Landrieu should still be senator, but what can you do).

Senator Peterson shreds Jindal from the podium for his hypocrisy and running ads in Iowa https://youtu.be/UhZFAr8y_Xg?t=12s
Damn.
It's too bad New Orleans isn't big enough to outvote the rest of the state. Mitch Landrieu should be governor (and Mary Landrieu should still be senator, but what can you do).

I wish. =(

Yesterday my dad was like "I can see it now, President Jindal and Governor Vitter!" Why you gotta troll me like that?? ;_;

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Remember when the GOP was touting this guy as the next big thing?

LOL

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
hey remember the time he said "why is the federal government wasting money on volcano monitoring" like six months after mt. st. helen's was a credible eruption threat and then a volcano in alaska erupted like two weeks later

Slayven

Is Volcano monitoring that expensive? I imagining a few guys on the west coast, a couple in Alaska, and 10 in Hawaii.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is Volcano monitoring that expensive? I imagining a few guys on the west coast, a couple in Alaska, and 10 in Hawaii.

apparently expensive enough to make it the centerpiece of his first major national speech, designed to set up his profile for a presidential run in 2012. worked real well too. america really appreciates that kind of common sense conservatism.

Senator Peterson shreds Jindal from the podium for his hypocrisy and running ads in Iowa https://youtu.be/UhZFAr8y_Xg?t=12s

Jindal is well within his power as governor to enact that executive order, which only applies to federal workers. In that sense it's similar to many of the exec orders that Obama has signed, which apply to federal workers.

So what we have is an order that doesn't do much of anything outside of allow Jindal to brag to people outside of the state. It's pretty pathetic.

kswiston

I wonder what costs US taxpayers more on an annual basis: Volcano monitoring or sports stadium concessions charged to expense accounts by governors and senators.

Jindal is well within his power as governor to enact that executive order, which only applies to federal workers. In that sense it's similar to many of the exec orders that Obama has signed, which apply to federal workers.

So what we have is an order that doesn't do much of anything outside of allow Jindal to brag to people outside of the state. It's pretty pathetic.
No one is disputing that, PD, and I think you're missing the point. The issue is his hypocrisy. He's been an extremely outspoken opponent of Obama's executive orders. And now he's simply using LO and this exec order specifically to appeal to the extreme far right on the national stage, regardless of how his actions affect his state.

" vituperative" weird choice of word for an article to read

I thought Jindal was a pretty great guy and speaker when he spoke at Liberty University commencement I attended last year. Shocked he would do this as I thought he was pretty good leader down there. Saddening if he wins the party ticket for presidency.

mclem

As a Doctor Who fan, I did a double-take at the thread title; there's a certain irony in that RTD would be negatively affected by this RTD.

No one is disputing that, PD, and I think you're missing the point. The issue is his hypocrisy. He's been an extremely outspoken opponent of Obama's executive orders. And now he's simply using LO and this exec order specifically to appeal to the extreme far right on the national stage, regardless of how his actions affect his state.

Personally I tend to dismiss all complaints about Obama's exec actions as nothing more than trolling. The president has a lot of power. Republicans simply have a problem when Obama exercises those powers. It's nothing more than them appealing to their insane base. These guys know Obama is within his legal authority to do shit, hence why their legal response has been a joke. They know it's a ruse.

I can't tell if Jindal is running for president or a Fox News gig. At this point it's pretty clear he hasn't gotten any traction, despite multiple gimmicks (signing the Iran letter, this, etc). His governor tenure has been a disaster. However he's a good enough speaker to spend the next decade getting paid to smear FUD at religious conferences, local political events, and Fox News.

I thought Jindal was a pretty great guy and speaker when he spoke at Liberty University commencement I attended last year. Shocked he would do this as I thought he was pretty good leader down there. Saddening if he wins the party ticket for presidency.

Dude is a quack. Total assclown. The guy continues to make absolutely impossible demands of the legislature like telling them to solve a $1.6 billion deficit without raising taxes or cutting spending:

"I am optimistic that we can get to a budget that is balanced, that doesn't raise taxes, that protects health care and higher education. I don't think we are going to get to that scenario," Jindal said, when asked about the possibility of a veto last week.

Mind telling me what he said in this speech that made him sound so great? He currently has one of the lowest approval ratings of any governor in the country.

Sorta related aside, but I remember rolling my eyes so fucking hard at my mom for recently saying she thinks Rubio is a great guy because he "seems to genuinely love America and American ideals". How about you look at what he does and how it benefits the country and the average American instead of being thankful he "loves" this country?

Fucking nationalism. Fuck it. All it does is hinder people's ability to see any real problems in their country.

Is this what counts as defending Jindal on his action? Or another "BOTH SIDES ARE THE SAME" post?

Wasn't intending to mean either. Probably not the best topic for my argument, but, every time I see something like this I think "And they call the other side a nanny state?" So I've come to realize the GOP is the daddy state because they tell you what you can and can't do for big issues.

Sorta related aside, but I remember rolling my eyes so fucking hard at my mom for recently saying she thinks Rubio is a great guy because he "seems to genuinely love America and American ideals". How about you look at what he does and how it benefits the country and the average American instead of being thankful he "loves" this country?
Typically when I hear this it's implied that Obama doesn't love America or its ideals. Because he's Kenyan. Or black.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Uh huh.

What? The state didn't elect him on the platform of gutting education and enacted inane executive orders. The state is a victim. None of us are happy with this. Stop victim blaming.
Yet they'll still go right ahead and elect another Republican just like him this fall.

Blackage

So weird living in New Orleans when the rest of the state is at odds with literally everything your city is about.

So goddamn red here.

Typically when I hear this it's implied that Obama doesn't love America or its ideals. Because he's Kenyan. Or black.

Eh, for a lot of my family that's a thing, but my mom is generally out of the political loop.

It's just that she has these latent feelings of American exceptionalism, and the rare times she picks up on a political speech she takes a lot of the "rah rah we're the best" crap to heart.

HylianTom

Banned
Yet they'll still go right ahead and elect another Republican just like him this fall.

Yup.

That's what slays me about this whole thing: people in this state will think that these policies are a Jindal thing, rather than a Louisiana Republican thing. They'll put Vitter in office, and then they'll wonder why we continue along this trajectory.

Uh huh.

I'm totally predicting a Vitter win.

And then they'll wonder why Vitter isn't really any more pragmatic about the budget than Jindal. As if his disingenuous assertions of Obamacare exemptions and his actions in the run up to the government shutdown didn't give us a sign of how he'd act as governor.

Though he's begun distancing himself from Grover Norquist's silly pledge, so maybe there's hope.

So weird living in New Orleans when the rest of the state is at odds with literally everything your city is about.

So goddamn red here.
It's like this in all southern states. The cities like BR and NOLA are blue while the rest of the state is deep red. Funny thing is that Louisiana can be blue, we have the demographics for it. But voter turnout is awful.

It's like this in all southern states. The cities like BR and NOLA are blue while the rest of the state is deep red. Funny thing is that Louisiana can be blue, we have the demographics for it. But voter turnout is awful.

Only a small portion of BR is blue.

NO is the only part of the state with the density to really compare to the traditionally blue urban cores seen in other, more populous states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom