• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Right to Discriminate tanks in State Senate, Jindal signs "RTD" Executive Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only a small portion of BR is blue.

NO is the only part of the state with the density to really compare to the traditionally blue urban cores seen in other, more populous states.
BR is about 50% black, right? I'm sure you've heard about the St George movement in Baton Rouge. Why do you think that's happening?

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's like this in all southern states. The cities like BR and NOLA are blue while the rest of the state is deep red. Funny thing is that Louisiana can be blue, we have the demographics for it. But voter turnout is awful.
That's what happens when your election is in an off-off year.

BR is about 50% black, right? I'm sure you've heard about the St George movement in Baton Rouge. Why do you think that's happening?

True, I was thinking of the blue-leaning portion of the larger metro area, which is 63% white and mostly red.

But I think the portions of Baton Rouge that are blue aren't blue for the reasons urban cores tend to lean heavily to the left. I'd assume that the number of whites that'd identify as liberal in a place like Baton Rouge make up a far smaller portion of the total than you'd see in NOLA or NYC, which was more the point I was getting at.

Leaning blue because of a predominantly african american population would make Baton Rouge city proper and East Baton Rouge Parish more comparable to St. Helena Parish and other more rural, blue-leaning areas of the state than New Orleans, imo.

Yea I agree. Anyway, the Democratic Party needs to come down here and do work. A state where almost 40% of the population is black should NOT be red. It's frustrating.

Yea I agree. Anyway, the Democratic Party needs to come down here and do work. A state where almost 40% of the population is black should NOT be red. It's frustrating.

The party at the state level is a broken, poorly funded mess. I'm not intimately familiar with Louisiana's politics going back more than a few years, but I'd imagine that the gerrymandering post-2010 really crippled the party's ability to put up viable candidates throughout the state, which further crippled its funding and organizational structure.

Hopefully whenever Mitch runs for Governor, he'll be able to build a stronger party around him, and maybe even win.

Eidan

Jindal's time as governor of Louisiana seems it has been a wreck. What accomplishments would he even trumpet on the national stage? Killing UNO?

kess

Heh, after the Indiana debacle, I see there's no one here to defend this.

Louisianans are cool, the state deserves better.

Ayt

Banned
I still remember his cringe inducing state of the union response.

I remember when people were talking about him as the GOP Obama before he actually had to open his mouth on the national stage.

Is Bobby Jindal the GOP's Obama?

There are plenty of rising stars in the GOP. But in the wake of Barack Obama's victory on Nov. 4, none has attracted as much speculation, curiosity and unapologetic hype as Jindal. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich recently called him "the most transformative young governor in America." Radio host Rush Limbaugh refers to him as "the next Ronald Reagan." John McCain eyed Jindal as a running mate, and Steve Schmidt, McCain's chief strategist, told The Washington Post in November that "the question is not whether he'll be president, but when he'll be president—because he will be elected someday."

I know post Katrina the demographics for Baton Rouge certainly changed. But it didn't think it was up to 50%. I could be wrong. I live in east Baton Rouge parish. So I can't speak for ALL of Baton Rouge. There are definitely more areas that have a higher percentage than others. But as far as turning this state blue...that would surprise the holy fuck out of me. Unfortunately a lot of Louisiana still lives in the old days.

SURGEdude

" vituperative" weird choice of word for an article to read

I thought Jindal was a pretty great guy and speaker when he spoke at Liberty University commencement I attended last year. Shocked he would do this as I thought he was pretty good leader down there. Saddening if he wins the party ticket for presidency.

Please tell me you didn't attend Liberty University.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom