• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PERCEPTION - Survival Horror Kickstarter by former Irrational Games alumini

Rymuth

output_TiQ6uI1.gif

TRAILER

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/perceptiongame/perception-3?ref=nav_search
Crafted by a team of veteran PC and console developers (BioShock, BioShock Infinite, Dead Space), Perception offers a bold and fresh take on first person narrative games.

* "See" using echolocation. Every sound creates a visual.
* Engage in a deadly game of hide and seek with relentless enemies, including The Presence.
* Trigger radical change at the Estate at Echo Bluff each time you solve its mysteries.
* Travel back through history to exorcise your own nightmares.

Lock if old

Arkhanor

"Perception is a first-person narrative horror adventure that tells the story of Cassie, a blind heroine who uses her extraordinary hearing and razor-sharp wits to unravel the mysteries of an abandoned estate that haunts her dreams. "

A female Daredevil! Interesting.

kadotsu

Banned
Great mechanical representation of the echo. Unfortunately first person narrative games are not my cup of tea at the moment. The effects would have been great for a stealth game, though; or a Daredevil game.

$375,000 - there are secrets hiding in plain sight
$400,000 - and hidden below the surface
$450,000 - lie mysteries. a void of rambling questions set
$500,000 - between reality and what is real.
20,000 Backers - beyond truth, only perception guides us

Will edit this post with each stretch goal.

Okay, so full braille stretch goals are:

$375,000 - there are secrets hiding in plain sight
$400,000 - and hidden below the surface
$450,000 - lie mysteries. a void of rambling questions set
$500,000 - between reality and what is real.
20,000 Backers - beyond truth, only perception guides us

Interesting concept, but I dunno how smart it is of them to make their more expensive stretch goals be this cryptic unless they plan to reveal what this riddle means in terms of what they'll be adding to the game if they're reached some time before the campaign is over.

Or maybe they did it like this just because they don't feel like they'll actually reach those goals.

Further, what if they hit 20,000 backers but didn't hit the other braille stretch goals? What does "beyond truth, only perception guides us" mean for the game?

WITHE1982

Wow I like the look of this. Basically you get to see how a bat/TLOU clicker would in a survival horror game. It has a nice unique visual style and game-play mechanic. Sort of an inverted Unfinished Swan.

I also like the voice actress. Very Elisabeth-esqe from Bioshock.

Morpheus/Oculus support would = scary as all hell.

gameplay looks interesting but am i the only one that wished the character would shut the fuck up?
I think her talking would be a bit better if she said more useful things. The blabbering removes a lot of the tension since she doesn't even sound afraid of what could be there as well.

There was literally nothing to be afraid of until the end, and then she did sound scared.
It still adds nothing and detracts from the atmosphere of what a survival horror tends to be. Her not being afraids adds nothing at all. Why have that when you could be using that time to create tension instead of irritation?

Guri

gameplay looks interesting but am i the only one that wished the character would shut the fuck up?

I actually really loved this. It made the whole thing more real. I mean, I imagine that not a lot of people would remain quiet in her situation. I don't think it removes tension at all.

It still adds nothing and detracts from the atmosphere of what a survival horror tends to be. Her not being afraids adds nothing at all. Why have that when you could be using that time to create tension instead of irritation?

I disagree that it adds nothing. With it being a first person game, her dialog is one of the only means of giving her a well defined character.

And "atmosphere of what a survival horror tends to be"?

She's blind. The game may look "scary" to us but in the world the devs are building, that's just how the world looks to her. Her own house probably has this same "atmosphere" besides the whole being in ruins thing.

It's no wonder why she doesn't find the atmosphere scary until scary stuff actually happens. Hell, outside her vision, it could be broad daylight and all the lights in the house are on and it would look like this to her.

That's why I find this concept so damn cool. It would have been less realistic to me if she was acting scared at every little creak and groan.

I actually really loved this. It made the whole thing more real. I mean, I imagine that not a lot of people would remain quiet in her situation. I don't think it removes tension at all.

Thank you.

Looks interesting, but I hope the gameplay doesn't end up being too predictable. The idea of darkness where the area 'lights' up instantly is the perfect bait for a jumpscare galore. However, they seem to be working on ways the gameplay changes as new threats get introduced. I love the atmosphere and the leading lady seems to be a strong person with a goal, that's exciting. You have to be strong willed to explore a home that could be haunted while blind, her being scared easily would just be annoying. It's on my radar.

Looks like an interesting game, however for the most part, horror games haven't had the best of luck on Kickstarter. I believe the highest funded horror game on the site is Project Scissors and that only raised $314k despite having several big (for horror gaming) names attached to it.

My feelings exactly, I'm glad somebody else said it. Sometimes it feels like people's want for silent protags is an expression of egocentricism. As if a character having their own thoughts and expressions somehow detracts from the immersion of the player who only wants to project their own thoughts and expressions into the game.

Some people complained about Amanda Ripley talking in Alien: Isolation (not many). It's like, this game does not star you. You are not Amanda Ripley. Why would they not talk? So you can project yourself into the game? A game that's not about you?

I know that's not always people's line of thinking, unconscious or not, but that's usually what I get worked up about.

Akzel

Looks more than awesome! I'll pledge for sure it they announce a Physical Console Version as a reward!

My feelings exactly, I'm glad somebody else said it. Sometimes it feels like people's want for silent protags is an expression of egocentricism. As if a character having their own thoughts and expressions somehow detracts from the immersion of the player who only wants to project their own thoughts and expressions into the game.

Some people complained about Amanda Ripley talking in Alien: Isolation (not many). It's like, this game does not star you. You are not Amanda Ripley. Why would they not talk? So you can project yourself into the game? A game that's not about you?

I know that's not always people's line of thinking, unconscious or not, but that's usually what I get worked up about.
I thought it was very well done in Alien Isolation and never at any point felt irritated by it. It was a great balance and always just enough, along with being nicely voiced to begin with. It felt like an addition and not something that would make things better had it been subtracted. Different strokes for this one though I guess. It's just a clip, and if it releases on console I'll snatch it up regardless.

Opinions etc, I guess.

pants

Dont like BioShock and hate what Dead Space became, is there a reason for me to pay attention to this?

Guri

I thought it was very well done in Alien Isolation and never at any point felt irritated by it. It was a great balance and always just enough, along with being nicely voiced to begin with. It felt like an addition and not something that would make things better had it been subtracted. Different strokes for this one though I guess. It's just a clip, and if it releases on console I'll snatch it up regardless.

Opinions etc, I guess.

This is just a gameplay demo made to show how the character will react to specific moments in the game. Also, a reminder that this is a narrative-driven game, not like Amnesia or anything like that.

Dont like BioShock and hate what Dead Space became, is there a reason for me to pay attention to this?

Very different games. This is nothing like either, except being in a similar genre of Dead Space, but again, completely different.

Koobion

Normally I would be interested in this, but there have been too many awesome projects I've backed recently to warrant anything more. I hope this gets funded successfully though; always have room for more horror games.

Se_7_eN

Am I the only one that thinks the gameplay looks annoying?

Having to make a clicking noise to light up areas (see) seems really annoying to me... Also, why isn't her voice making sound echoes (lighting up areas)?

Top Bottom